Page 36 of 41 FirstFirst ... 26323334353637383940 ... LastLast

Yeah, she's still using the 2015 costume in Captain America and the classic one in Strikeforce. Cap probably should stick to the old one though as Steve's status quo there means it's probably not set at the same time as other current books.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Maybe it is her "security guard" costume. I hope she keeps the classic in StrikeForce.

Could be.. Karla Pacheco said something on Twitter along the lines that it fits better with what Jess is getting up to in her Solo.

More intrigued about the revelations in her Origin. That's what has my attention currently.
    Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.
    Co-Host of the Attilan Rising Podcast Follow @SpiderWomnDaily on Twitter, and check out To Know Her Is To Fear Here: The Spider-Woman Podcast

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Seren View Post
    Could be.. Karla Pacheco said something on Twitter along the lines that it fits better with what Jess is getting up to in her Solo.

More intrigued about the revelations in her Origin. That's what has my attention currently.
    If that's the case, looks like another miss to me. I get the feeling Marvel is trying to create something that they think would work better in a flim, but this is just not a good design by any stretch of the imagination. I was going to add SW to my pull list, but now I'll just wait and see if I want to pick it up or not.

Oh no I definitely want to pick it up. Jess deserves another solo and I like Karla Pacheco writing.

A lot of people complained that the Hopeless/Hallum run wasn't dark enough. From what I'm hearing, Pacheco run will be more violent/darker. People also complained about the Anka design and I think this suit is Marvel attempt to compromise between that and the classic suit.
    Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.
    Co-Host of the Attilan Rising Podcast Follow @SpiderWomnDaily on Twitter, and check out To Know Her Is To Fear Here: The Spider-Woman Podcast

Astonishing Member

I wasn't a fan of Anka's design, but I think some of the tweaks mentioned in this thread could have saved it. The goggles were a poor choice -- the opaque lens are much better.

If Mavel thinks this new outfit is a good compromise -- they are more clueless than I had previously thought. As much as this is a turn off, if the interior art looks good -- and if the story has good levels of action and intrigue -- I may be persuaded to give it a shot. I will say that black hair and an all-black costume is very monochromatic -- not a great choice for a comic book character.

Jessica, Gerry and Roger cameoed on the Champions' page in History of the Marvel Universe #6. Jess was also on another page at the end of the issue among a whole load of heroes (seriously, that page was like a Where's Wally spread).
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

BANNED
    Themyscira, Wundagore Mountain, Talok VIII

I am not one of the "everything old is better" brigade (I hate for example, Wonder Woman's original getup, and I think it is ridiculously dated. Same with Superman's)...however, Spider-Woman's Marie Severin classic red-and-yellow design is simply timeless. It works equally well in 1977 and 2019, and I am shocked that Marvel keeps trying to modernize something that does not feel dated one bit. Same thing with Spider-Man's classic costume: perfection that needs no changing. But even more shocking is that this new costume is poorly designed and looks amateurish. Seems more like a fan design that the work of a purportedly professional illustrator that is familiar with comic book costumes and such. Hopefully Jessica will be back in the red and yellow in no time.

The official description of the new book sounds like your typical generic comic book description. Anyone knows for sure what the tone of the book will be? Am I the only one who hated the comedic vibe of the last book (Hopeless)? I think Jessica Drew is the type of character that lends itself to more "serious" stories with more realistic (less cartoony) art, which is why I was so excited about the Agent of Sword Bendis/Maleev Spider-Woman (they described it as a violent, action-packed, bloody, espionage title with a sprinkling of the macabre. Heck, Bendis himself hinted (in his old Jinxworld forum) that Morgan Le Fay herself would make an appearance!!! I loved it. And then it was cancelled after 7 issues for unclear reasons ...

I hope this new book takes its cues from the classic Chris Claremont/Stephen Leialoha/Tom Orzechowski Spider-Woman run and the Bendis/Maleev iteration, and then runs with it. And I would love to see her develop new foes that are forces to be reckoned with. Jessica Drew is such an underrated gem of a character, and I hope that the MCU eventually gives her a solo film...

I loved the Hopeless run.

Well, people are trying to kill her and she's on the run and there are lots of explosions. I think ilwere setting up for darker and more violent.

Jess by Otto.

drew by otto.jpg
    "Who wouldn't go out with the Black Widow? I'd strangle a litter of kittens for one dinner with her!"
    Adrian Toomes aka the Vulture

"Natasha Romanoff, A.K.A. Black Widow - ex-KGB, formerly with S.H.I.E.L.D...Probably the brains of this operation.I have followed her career, and she has been consistently UNDERRATED."

lol, she's wearing Spider-Ham slippers.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Seren View Post
    I loved the Hopeless run.

Well, people are trying to kill her and she's on the run and there are lots of explosions. I think ilwere setting up for darker and more violent.
    Well, I believe the Hopeless run had all of that, didn't it? I read bits and pieces but I simply could not get into the goofy art and the breezy tone. I am not saying that there is anything inherently wrong about that. Heck, we all know that Marvel has always been about breezy, fun reads, and especially now that the MCU has become such a powerful brand using that kind of tone in [most of] their films, but I also prefer Jessica in a darker setting. I am not against levity, don't get me wrong. I think levity is necessary and important to balance stories, but I have always preferred comics that create an overall aesthetic of "seriousness" (and no, I am not into grim, gritty, and gloomy just for the sake of "cool" either). That is why I love the Chris Claremont/Steve Leialoha run of the SW original comic. It had in my opinion the perfect balance of bone-crunching superhero action, darkness (without becoming grimdark or nihilistic), and unobtrusive levity when appropriate. And the art was not goofy (again, in my opinion).

Quote Originally Posted by Winterboy View Post
    Jess by Otto.

drew by otto.jpg
    Dem abs .

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by FutureWonder View Post
    I am not one of the "everything old is better" brigade (I hate for example, Wonder Woman's original getup, and I think it is ridiculously dated. Same with Superman's)...however, Spider-Woman's Marie Severin classic red-and-yellow design is simply timeless. It works equally well in 1977 and 2019, and I am shocked that Marvel keeps trying to modernize something that does not feel dated one bit. Same thing with Spider-Man's classic costume: perfection that needs no changing. But even more shocking is that this new costume is poorly designed and looks amateurish. Seems more like a fan design that the work of a purportedly professional illustrator that is familiar with comic book costumes and such. Hopefully Jessica will be back in the red and yellow in no time.
    I love the original costume, with and without the hair. Still, it's been a looooooooooooooooooong time. Just as a practical matter you'd think Jessica would want to change up her look. Maybe not into the Saturday morning manga wear that they gave her, but into something fresh and new.

I don't know what happened to War Machine's Eidolon adaptive armor, but if Rhodes doesn't ever plan to use it again, I'd find a way to get that into Jessica's hands. Slim it down, redesign it for superhero black ops couture, make it modern and feminine, and less alien tech-creepy. And maybe give it more functionality that helps Jessica in her adventures, like a cloaking or stealth mode, built in information database, rudimentary hacking capabilities, wifi and satellite communications systems, venom blast amplifiers (for those days when she has to stop the Juggernaut in his tracks), and backup biological life support systems that allow her to go under water or into outer space and even stores extra milk for the baby, if necessary. Just have fun with it.
    “True peace is not merely the absence of tension; it is the presence of justice.”
    ~Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

“If I love you, I have to make you conscious of what you don’t see.”
    ~James Baldwin

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by JudicatorPrime View Post
    I love the original costume, with and without the hair. Still, it's been a looooooooooooooooooong time. Just as a practical matter you'd think Jessica would want to change up her look. Maybe not into the Saturday morning manga wear that they gave her, but into something fresh and new.

I don't know what happened to War Machine's Eidolon adaptive armor, but if Rhodes doesn't ever plan to use it again, I'd find a way to get that into Jessica's hands. Slim it down, redesign it for superhero black ops couture, make it modern and feminine, and less alien tech-creepy. And maybe give it more functionality that helps Jessica in her adventures, like a cloaking or stealth mode, built in information database, rudimentary hacking capabilities, wifi and satellite communications systems, venom blast amplifiers (for those days when she has to stop the Juggernaut in his tracks), and backup biological life support systems that allow her to go under water or into outer space and even stores extra milk for the baby, if necessary. Just have fun with it.
    No thanks.
    We already have an Iron Man.
    As for the costume change...we are talking about superpowered characters in fantastical scenarios that have nothing to do with realism or plausibility.
    If we can suspend disbelief to accept that a woman can generate biolectrical "venom" blasts from her hands, emit powerful pheromones that affect people's moods instantly, and stick to walls (not to mention that she stays eternally looking like a woman in her late twenties/early thirties despite being "born" in 1977), we can accept that she has never changed her original costume.

When it comes to Spider-Woman's costume, I guess I am part of the "old is better" brigade.
    Don't fix what's not broken.