Page 38 of 41 FirstFirst ... 283435363738394041 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by kcekada View Post
    But Julia's was better -- and she had strawberry blonde hair which contrasted nicely with the black. I don't find any element of the new design positive. If Marvel (or rather, Disney) thinks that stuff that works in films will work in comics, they are mistaken. Traditional fans are turned off by modern Marvel -- and there aren't many new fans coming along to fill the void. This kind of corporate decision (and yes, I'm blaming corporate -- certainly hope it wasn't the creative' team's idea) almost always fails.
    Right! i'd rather see this new costume on Julia! The black clashes with Jess' hair.

The new design is awful imo.

Those red webs on the shouders are ridiculous. Jessica Drew's history has nothing to do with Spider Man's.
    "Who wouldn't go out with the Black Widow? I'd strangle a litter of kittens for one dinner with her!"
    Adrian Toomes aka the Vulture

"Natasha Romanoff, A.K.A. Black Widow - ex-KGB, formerly with S.H.I.E.L.D...Probably the brains of this operation.I have followed her career, and she has been consistently UNDERRATED."

Astonishing Member OBrianTallent's Avatar

Why do they keep trying to change what is already excellent.

BANNED
    Themyscira, Wundagore Mountain, Talok VIII

But Julia's was better -- and she had strawberry blonde hair which contrasted nicely with the black. I don't find any element of the new design positive. If Marvel (or rather, Disney) thinks that stuff that works in films will work in comics, they are mistaken. Traditional fans are turned off by modern Marvel -- and there aren't many new fans coming along to fill the void. This kind of corporate decision (and yes, I'm blaming corporate -- certainly hope it wasn't the creative' team's idea) almost always fails.
    Hear hear.
    Again, did nobody at Marvel look at this design and think, "Ew. Screams bad cosplay"?
    Oh well...

Quote Originally Posted by OBrianTallent View Post
    Why do they keep trying to change what is already excellent.
    I think it has to do with what many creative teams attempt whenever they take on an established character/book: leave their own mark on it.
    Trust me, if I were to write/draw a character that I love, I would certainly NOT touch anything that has worked forever.
    In this case, Jessica has had her ups and downs in terms of characterization, tone, writing, etc, but one constant has been the iconic, timeless quality of her red-and-yellow costume.
    And they still try to change it once in a while!!
    Last edited by FutureWonder; 12-19-2019 at 09:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_Murdock View Post
    Feels very Miles Morales to me. At a minimum, the black costume feels Julia Carpenter.
    On the Marvel Reddit, a lot of people are saying it's like a cross between Miles and Nightwing.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Right! It would be appropriate to update or improve a costume like say El Aguila’s but to completely change a classic costume like Spider-Woman’s is unacceptable to me. Improve what already exists Such as when Julia went from her Spider-Woman costume to her Arachne costume.

Astonishing Member

I imagine some idiot or group of idiots at Disney think the classic design accentuates her breasts. And good god, we can't have people realizing that women have breasts! Why don't they just have everyone wear loose fitting pajamas like the Fantastic Four wore in their early adventures? But the reasoning to replace such an excellent design with something that looks like a bad ripoff of Spider-Man's outfit is beyond my comprehension.

BANNED

I imagine some idiot or group of idiots at Disney think the classic design accentuates her breasts. And good god, we can't have people realizing that women have breasts! Why don't they just have everyone wear loose fitting pajamas like the Fantastic Four wore in their early adventures? But the reasoning to replace such an excellent design with something that looks like a bad ripoff of Spider-Man's outfit is beyond my comprehension.
    And to be honest, any costume can accentuate the breasts (or any part of anyone's body) if the artists decides to draw in a manner that does that. I mean, look at Milo Manara or the countless artists that have drawn Jessica in a way that totally focuses on her ass and breasts (versus Spider-Man, who has a skintight costume just like Jess, but who rarely if at all is drawn in a sexuality/sex appeal-focused way). I have seen plenty of Spider-Woman fan art that, despide the emblem on her chest, puts zero visual emphasis on her breasts (or ass). It is all in the execution, and I am sure that Marvel can tell their artists to make sure NOT to draw her in any way that purposely calls attention to **** and ass.

I'm still buying all the variants despite my reservations on the new suit. I'm gonna be so broke in March guys. Jess is getting an Art Germ AND Carmine Infantino variants and I need 80 of both
    Last edited by Seren; 12-19-2019 at 11:41 AM.
    Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.
    Co-Host of the Attilan Rising Podcast Follow @SpiderWomnDaily on Twitter, and check out To Know Her Is To Fear Here: The Spider-Woman Podcast

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Seren View Post
    I'm still buying all the variants despite my reservations on the new suit. I'm gonna be so broke in March guys. Jess is getting an Art Germ AND Carmine Infantino variants and I need 80 of both
    WHHHHHAAAAAAAAT????????
    She is getting a Carmine Infantino variant?
    I am excited and yet...I am confused.
    He is dead. Are they using a never-seen SW illo from him? Are they cleaning up/sprucing up a classic SW illo from him??

Astonishing Member

When they've issued Dave Cockrum covers, it's usually recolored artwork that has previously been released. I imagine it will be the same for Infantino. I was excited by the solicitation for a Spider-Woman #1 classic cover poster, but based on the other solicitations, I think this is the cover for her new series wearing the classic outfit -- and not a poster of her very first issue (with a Joe Sinnott cover) from back in the day.

You're probably right.

Marvel posted another article that mentions "Revelations about her mysterious origin" again. I'm wondering if it ties into any of the threads Bendis left open in his Origin series (Miles Warren made an appearance there I believe).
    Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.
    Co-Host of the Attilan Rising Podcast Follow @SpiderWomnDaily on Twitter, and check out To Know Her Is To Fear Here: The Spider-Woman Podcast

Take Me Higher The Negative Zone's Avatar
    Earth. (Unless I've been kidnapped by Skrulls)

I'm not sure if I like the new costume or not. I'm warming up to it but I'm not sure why it exists. It feels like they were trying people who think the old costume was too sexualized while trying to please fans of the old costume? But that doesn't make sense considering it still looks like a standard skin tight superhero costume.

So Karla Pacheco just said on Twitter that response to the Spider-Woman solo was so great that they expanded issue #1 to 30 pages.

Looks like they added a second story and it's got some guests we will be happy to see (judging from the emoticons - Strikeforce?) I can't wait.
    Last edited by Seren; 12-20-2019 at 06:24 PM.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Seren View Post
    So Karla Pacheco just said on Twitter that response to the Spider-Woman solo was so great that they expanded issue #1 to 30 pages.

Looks like they added a second story and it's got some guests we will be happy to see (judging from the emoticons - Strikeforce?) I can't wait.
    That's awesome!
    The spider is always on the hunt.