Page 39 of 41 FirstFirst ... 2935363738394041 LastLast
    Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Negative Zone View Post
    I'm not sure if I like the new costume or not. I'm warming up to it but I'm not sure why it exists. It feels like they were trying people who think the old costume was too sexualized while trying to please fans of the old costume? But that doesn't make sense considering it still looks like a standard skin tight superhero costume.
    Everyone is hypersensitive about these things these days. Guess they'd rather err on the side of caution. But you're right, any form fitting outfit can be rendered in cheese cake fashion. That goes double for Jessica, who is rarely drawn like some Twiggy stick figure. I can't say that the costume is growing on me, but oddly enough I think I could get used to seeing Jessica's eyes, instead of the Spider lens. I know that won't help preserve her identity, but if they had to make one change, that's the one that I'd request. Can't wait to get home so that I can play around with a few sketches of the new costume.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Spectacular Member

Looking forward to her first solo issue next year. I don't mind the new outfit. True that I would've preferred the classic outfit, and the new one may not seem right, but she's still a spider like Peter.

The new suit reminds me of something that Mattie Franklin might have had in her closet of Spider-Woman Lewks!

BANNED
    Themyscira, Wundagore Mountain, Talok VIII

So...any chance of seeing any of her old, allegedly "lame" villains reconceptualized for this series?
    I have always dreamt of Marvel doing a GeoffJohns/Flash's Rogues on Jessica: taking many of the villains from her original book and turning them into scary, formidable badasses.
    I would love to see people like Gypsy Moth, The Needle, the Brothers Grimm, and Daddy Longlegs back. I feel that they all had a bizarre, bad dream-like quality that would be awesome if amped up and modernized. Jessica always felt at home not just in spy-centric stories but in tales that had a supernatural tinge to them (and I LOVED that a sorceress was her archnemesis back in the day).

You know, I think we are going to see some of Jessica's friends/enemies from her first series. I have a feeling.
    Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.
    Co-Host of the Attilan Rising Podcast Follow @SpiderWomnDaily on Twitter, and check out To Know Her Is To Fear Here: The Spider-Woman Podcast

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Seren View Post
    You know, I think we are going to see some of Jessica's friends/enemies from her first series. I have a feeling.
    From your keyboard to Marvel/Karla Pacheco's ears!!!!!
    I always had a soft spot for three characters in particular:

David Ishima (her designated love intereste who also happened NOT to be a supervillain in disguise, a mutant, or a highly-skilled professional with tons of credentials, degrees, or traditional markers of "success"; he was a working class dude--construction worker--who enjoyed medieval fairs, gardening, and a simple life, and who despite all of this, fell in love with the complicated Jessica)
    Sabrina Morrell - a tough-as-nails San Francisco Police Dept. liutenant who always seemed to have an uneasy, complex relationship with Jess (who did not trust her)
    Lindsay McCabe- Jessica's best friend and trusted confidante.

I want Lindsay to show up (though to me Lindsay may be Jessica's oldest friend but Carol is her best friend) very badly bc I HAVE QUESTIONS THAT NEED ANSWERED.

Also yes to Sabrina

However, thought David was kinda a douche and Jess can do better.
    Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.
    Co-Host of the Attilan Rising Podcast Follow @SpiderWomnDaily on Twitter, and check out To Know Her Is To Fear Here: The Spider-Woman Podcast

BANNED

I want Lindsay to show up (though to me Lindsay may be Jessica's oldest friend but Carol is her best friend) very badly bc I HAVE QUESTIONS THAT NEED ANSWERED.

Also yes to Sabrina

Thanks for that comment; I have to re-read my old SW books because there are many details that I totally forget.
    The only things I vividly remember about him were what I mentioned earlier and the fact that he was Asian (which I really appreciated, especially from a book released in a time that was not too keen on diversity in popular entertainment).

Did you like Morgan LeFay as Jessica's arch-enemy?
    I always realized (even back then) that giving an earth-bound character like Jess a powerful ancient sorceress as a villain was kinda odd (because of the power disparity), but I also enjoyed that this power imbalance would force Jess would to use her smarts more than her powerset to beat the witch.
    Also, I never had a huge problem with Morgan fighting Jess because our heroine had been born on Wundagore Mountain (the one-time prison of the elemental chaos god called Chthon), which, based on the old SW origin, had imbued Jessica with some sort of eldritch energy, or aura, or whatever it was. I liked that Morgan had an interest in Jess because of something pertaining to that (IIRC)...

I love Morgan being Jessica's nemesis in her first series. But I've never had the opportunity to read the whole thing because it's not all on Marvel Unlimited and I have had some trouble tracking down single issues. i do have volume 2 but it's not colored in and this makes me sound dumb, but that makes it harder for me to read.

ETA: Well, there were the 14 Variant covers for Spider-Woman number one. And Marvel had an article about 10 variants for other series. I just combed the soliciations and there are an additional 12 that weren't announced yet:

Daredevil #19 - Mike Del Mundo
    Black Cat #10 - TBA
    Dr. Doom #6 - Mike Mayhew
    Black Panther and the Agents of Wakanda #7 - Iban Coello
    Morbius #5 - Pyeong Jun Park
    Miles Morales Spider-Man #16 - Pasqual Ferry
    Amazing #SpiderMan #42 -Tony Daniel (and a 2nd one for #41 by Lee Garbett??)
    Valkyrie #9 - Audrey Mok
    Fantastic 4 #20 - Ema Lupacchino
    CaptainMarvel #16 - Dan Panosian
    Captain America #20 - Ben Caldwell
    Wovlerine #2 - Gerald Parel

So, between the covers for her own series, the 10 previously announced and the above I listed - 36 covers total for the Spider-Woman launch.

Shut up and take my money Marvel.
    Last edited by Seren; 12-22-2019 at 08:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Thirteen View Post
    The new suit reminds me of something that Mattie Franklin might have had in her closet of Spider-Woman Lewks!
    What the heck? That costume has a ten legged spider!
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    What the heck? That costume has a ten legged spider!
    I think the ones at the front are meant to be pincers, not legs.

BANNED

I love Morgan being Jessica's nemesis in her first series. But I've never had the opportunity to read the whole thing because it's not all on Marvel Unlimited and I have had some trouble tracking down single issues. i do have volume 2 but it's not colored in and this makes me sound dumb, but that makes it harder for me to read.

ETA: Well, there were the 14 Variant covers for Spider-Woman number one. And Marvel had an article about 10 variants for other series. I just combed the soliciations and there are an additional 12 that weren't announced yet:

Daredevil #19
    Black Cat #10
    Dr. Doom #6,
    Black Panther and the Agents of Wakanda #7,
    Morbius #5,
    Miles Morales Spider-Man #16,
    Amazing #SpiderMan #42 (and a 2nd one for #41 by Lee Garbett??)
    Valkyrie #9,
    Fantastic 4 #20,
    CaptainMarvel #16,
    Captain America #20
    Wovlerine #2

So, between the covers for her own series, the 10 previously announced and the above I listed - 36 covers total for the Spider-Woman launch.

Shut up and take my money Marvel.
    Any idea on artists yet?

Would love a larraz and Stegman Cover

I added them to my original post but here they are again:

Daredevil #19 - Mike Del Mundo
    Black Cat #10 - TBA
    Dr. Doom #6 - Mike Mayhew
    Black Panther and the Agents of Wakanda #7 - Iban Coello
    Morbius #5 - Pyeong Jun Park
    Miles Morales Spider-Man #16 - Pasqual Ferry
    Amazing #SpiderMan #42 -Tony Daniel (and a 2nd one for #41 by Lee Garbett??)
    Valkyrie #9 - Audrey Mok (Her Sera and the Royal Stars covers have been AMAZING so this one will be too)
    Fantastic 4 #20 - Ema Lupacchino
    CaptainMarvel #16 - Dan Panosian
    Captain America #20 - Ben Caldwell
    Wovlerine #2 - Gerald Parel

That said, I'm kind of disappointed we aren't getting a Jen Bartel variant or maybe Amanda Conner or Becky Cloonan? Not that familiar with a lot of these artists.
    Last edited by Seren; 12-22-2019 at 01:53 PM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by FutureWonder View Post
    So...any chance of seeing any of her old, allegedly "lame" villains reconceptualized for this series?
    I have always dreamt of Marvel doing a GeoffJohns/Flash's Rogues on Jessica: taking many of the villains from her original book and turning them into scary, formidable badasses.
    I would love to see people like Gypsy Moth, The Needle, the Brothers Grimm, and Daddy Longlegs back. I feel that they all had a bizarre, bad dream-like quality that would be awesome if amped up and modernized. Jessica always felt at home not just in spy-centric stories but in tales that had a supernatural tinge to them (and I LOVED that a sorceress was her archnemesis back in the day).
    Many of her old rogues gallery has come back and/or stayed active throughout the years. Needle, Gypsy Moth, the Brothers Grimm, Tick Tock, and Werewolf By Night got gathered together into a team, the Night Shift, which has appeared on and off over the years. Most recently they were used as supporting characters in the SUPERIOR SPIDER-MAN series -- and another old Spider-Woman foe was added to their ranks, the Waxman.

The Brothers Grimm have also shown up here and there without the rest of the Night Shift on occasion.

Turner D Century was killed off in the Scourge massacre of the 80s, but he was later resurrected and has made a handful of appearances since then (actually, I think his most recent appearance was also in SUPERIOR SPIDER-MAN. Christos Gage must have been a fan of the original SPIDER-WOMAN series...)

Gypsy Moth may be the most successful of Jessica's old foes. In addition to her membership with Night Shift, she also had a short stint with the Thunderbolts -- where she got a new costume and a new code name, Skein. This seems to have raised her profile to some extent because Sybil seems to have appeared more frequently since then, in a variety of books. These days, sometimes she turns up as Skein, sometimes as Gypsy Moth (and she also got a new Gypsy Moth costume a couple of years ago).

There was also reference one time to there being a "new" Gypsy Moth, but she (or he, I suppose) has yet to be seen on-panel. Its possible that it wasn't a new Gypsy Moth at all but rather Sybil in her new costume and the hero just got confused and thought it was someone new.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by FutureWonder View Post
    From your keyboard to Marvel/Karla Pacheco's ears!!!!!
    I always had a soft spot for three characters in particular:

David Ishima (her designated love intereste who also happened NOT to be a supervillain in disguise, a mutant, or a highly-skilled professional with tons of credentials, degrees, or traditional markers of "success"; he was a working class dude--construction worker--who enjoyed medieval fairs, gardening, and a simple life, and who despite all of this, fell in love with the complicated Jessica)
    Sabrina Morrell - a tough-as-nails San Francisco Police Dept. liutenant who always seemed to have an uneasy, complex relationship with Jess (who did not trust her)
    Lindsay McCabe- Jessica's best friend and trusted confidante.
    I agree with all those choices.

Speaking of David, one thing that irked me in Hopeless' run was Jessica made a comment one time that every guy she ever dated had powers, except Hawkeye. Seriously?? David Ishima is probably the most serious relationship we've seen Jessica have (prior to Roger), and he was non-powered. I actually struggle to think of any super-powered guy she's dated (other than Hawkeye who DOES have powers as Goliath).

Sure, not all of the guys she's dated or slept with have been "normal" guys -- there was a Hydra agent or two in there, and her boyfriend Tim Braverman turned out to be a super-villain -- but none of them had powers!

Such as?

Lindsay is the past supporting cast member that most needs to reappear, I agree. She's the only one who really stuck around through the various creative team changes and status quo changes for Jessica through the original run, and then beyond since the two of them were private investigators together. Lindsay is very overdue to make a return appearance in Jessica's life.

Also yes to Sabrina
    Yeah, I would enjoy seeing her again too.

Really? What made you feel he was douche-y?