Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member CellarDweller's Avatar

Default Wonder Twins Appreciation Thread 2019

*Copy of the first post of the original thread - 10/06/2018*

Even though I'm a big Wonder Twins fan, I never thought I'd start this type of thread. Zan and Jayna were never taken seriously by most comic fans, and their appearances on various episodes of The Super Friends were mixed at best. Sometimes they were used well, and other times, used as comic relief.

Now that Wonder Comics is giving them their own series, I figured now was a good time for this thread, and perhaps members here would like to discuss what they would like to see from this series, and how they would like the Twins to be handled.

I started a new thread, given the fact that the 6 issue mini-series will debut in Feb. of 2019
    Last edited by CellarDweller; 01-02-2019 at 06:48 PM.

Cover for Wonder Twins #1

written by MARK RUSSELL
    art and cover by STEPHEN BYRNE
    variant cover by DUSTIN NGUYEN

Exiled from their home planet, alien heroes Zan and Jayna must navigate life as teens on Earth at South Metropolis High School, where they’re even bigger outsiders than the typical awkward young adults. Under the watchful eye of Superman, the brother and sister pull monitor duty at the Hall of Justice as interns, while also trying to overcome the pitfalls of Zan’s brash confidence and Jayna’s shy but streetwise persona. If you think you know the Wonder Twins, think again—this book takes the form of the unexpected.

ON SALE 02.13.19

Cover for Wonder Twins #2

written by MARK RUSSELL
    art and cover by STEPHEN BYRNE
    variant cover by DUSTIN NGUYEN

After being exiled from their homeworld, alien, shape-shifting brother/sister duo Jayna and Zan take on the traditional Earth custom of a high school field trip…to a local LexCorp prison? If they’re being honest, their after-school assignment from the Justice League is what they’re really looking forward to: taking on vampiric menace Drunkula, a villain from the League of Annoyance! And what’s this guy the Scrambler up to, anyway? Plus: Gleek debuts!

ON SALE 03.13.19

Wonder Twins original origin and costumes.

According to the Super Friends comic book by E. Nelson Bridwell (writer) and Ramona Fradon (artist), Zan and Jayna are Exorian metas, genetic throwbacks to an ancient race of Exorian shapeshifters. Their parents died when they were still babies during a plague, and, because of their origin, no Exorians want to adopt them. They are adopted by the owner of a Space Circus who only wants to use them as sideshow freaks. However, the circus' clown (or "laugh-maker") is a kind man and raises them. He also gives them Gleek as a pet. Eventually, as teens, the pair escape the circus and hide on a planet where a space villain called Grax (an enemy of Superman) has established his headquarters. Spying on him, they learn that Grax is planning to destroy the Earth using hidden superbombs. The twins decide to travel to Earth and warn the Justice League, which is how they come to replace Wendy and Marvin (who were planning on retiring as heroes anyway) as their sidekicks. The heroes arrange for the kids to live with a scientist named Professor Carter Nichols and they even take secret identities as Johan and Joanna Fleming. "Johan" and "Johanna" were supposedly transfer students from Esko, Sweden, disguised with blonde hair (Zan wore a wig, while Jayna uses her powers to transform into a human to change her hair color and ear shape), to allow them to attend Gotham City High School.

After the Super Friends comic ended its run, Zan & Jayna weren't seen again until 1996, when they appeared in Extreme Justice, with a new origin and costumes.

In 1996, Zan & Jayna were introduced into post-Crisis DC continuity in the series Extreme Justice as escaped slaves of an alien overlord. Unable to speak English, they inadvertently attack some civilians and the Justice League. During their fight with the JLA, Zan becomes an ice golem, a water monster, and a demonic-looking whirlpool, while Jayna becomes a griffin, a werewolf, and a sea serpent. The pair are later emancipated by the Justice League and join Captain Atom's team in issue #16 (May 1996).

In 2002 - 2003 the Wonder Twins appear again in new costumes in issues of Young Justice.

They first appeared in issue #49. No new origin is given. When Wonder Girl asks who they are, she's told "they're Zan & Jayna, aka The Wonder Twins. I met them through the League, they're shape-changers from the planet Exor."

Astonishing Member

The forum-wide blanket Appreciation Thread locking feels ultra frustrating when threads like this one that just got made are locked along with the other ones that do have dozens and dozens of pages.

Anyway, looking forward to the series. Hope it'll get a Season 2 or somesuch so it isn't just dropped after the 6 issues end.

Quote Originally Posted by J. D. Guy View Post
    Anyway, looking forward to the series. Hope it'll get a Season 2 or somesuch so it isn't just dropped after the 6 issues end.
    I do as well. From what I've seen on Twitter, Mark Russell is pretty committed to the characters.

Mark Russell - @Manruss - 19 Nov 2018

Really proud of what we're doing with Wonder Twins. I hope everyone who took a trust-fall with me on The Flintstones and Snagglepuss will give this series a chance, too

Brandon Smith - @bcbranman - 19 Nov 2018

Only thing that sucks is that is that ‘issue 1 of 6’ designation.

Mark Russell - @Manruss - 19 Nov 2018

I'm writing a six issue arc, but my hope is to do more.

I haven't been able to a link to this original quote, but apparently Young Justice's Greg Weisman has said this about season 3 of Young Justice. Whether or not it still applies is anyone's guess.

And here's a spoiler: we also have very specific ideas for our version of the Wonder Twins, Zan & Jayna, for Season Three.
    Last edited by CellarDweller; 01-02-2019 at 08:07 PM.

Smallville's Zan and Jayna

How could I forget them! I like the way they were portrayed in that book.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by CellarDweller View Post

After being exiled from their homeworld, alien, shape-shifting brother/sister duo Jayna and Zan take on the traditional Earth custom of a high school field trip…to a local LexCorp prison? If they’re being honest, their after-school assignment from the Justice League is what they’re really looking forward to: taking on vampiric menace Drunkula, a villain from the League of Annoyance! And what’s this guy the Scrambler up to, anyway? Plus: Gleek debuts!
    This League of Annoyance sounds interesting.

Drunkula and the Scrambler.

Quote Originally Posted by CellarDweller View Post
    In 2002 - 2003 the Wonder Twins appear again in new costumes in issues of Young Justice.

They first appeared in issue #49. No new origin is given. When Wonder Girl asks who they are, she's told "they're Zan & Jayna, aka The Wonder Twins. I met them through the League, they're shape-changers from the planet Exor."

Their cameo in the Zandia attack is one of my favorite things. PAD has a talent for finding the intersection of humor, nostalgia, and badassery

Quote Originally Posted by scary harpy View Post
    This League of Annoyance sounds interesting.

Drunkula and the Scrambler.
    I'm looking forward to it, I want to see what direction is going to go in.

Quote Originally Posted by Stanlos View Post
    Their cameo in the Zandia attack is one of my favorite things. PAD has a talent for finding the intersection of humor, nostalgia, and badassery
    I enjoyed it too. I was really hoping to see more of them.

I found the variant cover for Wonder Twins #1 online today, from Dustin Nguyen.

I went to a shop to pick up Young Justice #1, and I asked about Wonder Twins, and the guy behind the counter had said he's had other people asking about it too.

Wonder Twin Powers… Reactivated!

by Rich Handley on January 18, 2019 in Guest Columns

Anyone who grew up watching Saturday-morning cartoons in the 1970s and 1980s should remember well the two teen sidekicks who hung out with Wonder Woman, Batman, Robin, Superman, and Aquaman, helping them to thwart the Legion of Doom, the Joker, Mr. Mxyzptlk, the Penguin, and other nefarious evil-doers. They were not an overly interesting duo and, in many fans’ view, they took screen time away from the more important main members of the Justice League of America. Still, they made a lasting enough impression that viewers can recall their presence decades later, even if they’ve never bothered to revisit the show on DVD. These two heroes-in-training had a lovable pet who also aided the League; they got into as much trouble as they helped to clean up; and they provided what passed for comic relief on Super Friends.

http://www.blastoffcomics.com/2019/0...s-reactivated/