Page 1 of 28 1234511 ... LastLast

Default Nightcrawler Appreciation 2019

Nightcrawler (Kurt Wagner) is the swashbuckling yet compassionate misfit who first leaped off the pages of X-Men back in 1975. In his time, he's been a fun-loving rogue, a loyal friend, a capable leader of Excalibur, and a man of God. The heart of his team as well as its soul are the two most consistent things he's been over the years, however.

He's the son of Mystique and Azazel, abandoned at birth and raised in a circus by the gypsy sorceress Margali Szardos as her own son. He originally joined the X-Men after being rescued by Professor Charles Xavier from a pitchfork wielding mob in Germany. In many ways, he has been the living embodiment of Professor Xavier's philosophy that acceptance of diversity(mutants, in the case of the X-Men) would only come about through education and understanding, not force.

This is the place to discuss all things Nightcrawler related, from his history, his powers, his use in the books both past and present, relationships, friendships, what we like as fans, what we want to see done differently, etc.

Verstanden? Gut!

Powers, Characteristics, & Abilities: Nightcrawler is a mutant born with fine blue-black fur covering his body, two fingers with an opposable thumb on each hand and only two toes, each longer than a normal human being's, on each foot and a third toe-like projection on his heel, as well as pronounced, fang-like canine teeth, yellow eyes, pointed ears, and a 3 1/2 foot long prehensile pointed tail which can support his weight.

His primary mutant power is the ability to teleport himself, his clothing, and a certain amount of additional mass from one point to another virtually instantaneously. He does this by means of displacing himself through an alternate dimension briefly and reappearing in a desired location(usually a place that he can see) Nightcrawler has a limited unconscious extrasensory ability that prevents him from teleporting into any area that he cannot see or has not seen in the past, as doing so runs the risk of injury or death by materializing partially or entirely within a solid object. He leaves behind smoke and a faint scent of burning brimstone; this is a small portion of the atmosphere of the dimension he travels through when he teleports. A loud "bamf" noise is always present whenever he teleports (being the sound of air rushing to fill the space he was just occupying).*

Nightcrawler is also able to cling to solid surfaces via his hands and feet. He can also render himself nigh-invisible in shadows by manipulating the ever-present portal to the dimension he teleports through so as to bend light around himself.*
    He's able to see very well in the dark and has been shown with a sensitivity to light in the past.

Nightcrawler is a superb fencer, hand-to-hand combatant, and an Olympic level athlete.

Last edited by Sundown; 01-20-2019 at 06:30 PM.

Current story lines, as of January 2019:

He's back alive, after the events of Second Coming, but has no soul. The bamfs traded him a body, apparently for his soul.

The bamfs were originally some type of maggot hellspawn that Azazel turned into his imps. Kurt converted them with his own blood to fight for him instead, in the battle for Heaven that Azazel was planning. (See Amazing X-Men Quest for Nightcrawler). He was able to prevent Azazel's takeover by trapping him on earth, using blood magic. Kurt also trapped himself.

The bamfs are still tied to him. He appears to be able to understand them and even have some sort of silent communication with them, it seems. They haven't been around much lately, though.

Also, due to Kurt's soul less state, he's now effectively immortal:

He has been gravely injured several times in ways that should have killed him, but he is unable to die.
    Last edited by Sundown; 01-02-2019 at 09:01 PM.

Relationships:

Amanda is gone, "killed" in the last Claremont solo. She's trapped in the afterlife.

By the end of the solo series, he had a fling with Bloody Bess:

And has spent the past year in a relationship with Rachel. She just recently broke up with him after realizing Mesmero had messed with her mind. It was implied that Mesmero's tampering was the only reason she was involved with Kurt.

Last edited by Sundown; 01-02-2019 at 09:20 PM.

He recently did a stint in the Jean led X-Men Red. His most notable accomplishment there was growing a beard. Here's hoping to more focus and development in 2019!

Last edited by Sundown; 01-02-2019 at 09:20 PM.

Last edited by Anduinel; 01-03-2019 at 12:17 AM.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Nightcrawler is fun. I first read him in his first appearance in Giant-Size X-Men and played as him in Sega's X-Men 2 Clone Wars. BAMF-ing everywhere to avoid enemy laser and just because it's fun.

tumblr_n1vqn4wPUm1s5zf6fo1_500.jpg

This article brings up an interesting possibility regarding Kurt's beard, though it's presented more as humor.

https://screenrant.com/nightcrawler-beard-xmen-comic/

Or is the onslaught of the beard a sign of some physiological change taking place within Kurt's body?

You know, they could always tie it into his resurrection. He looks more or less the same, but his genetic material probably isn't the same any longer, given that he's made up of bamfs.

It was implied that Mesmero's tampering was the only reason she was involved with Kurt.
    It was? When? Asking out of curiosity cuz I legit missed that

kylun04.jpg

“Be kind, aim for my heart.” ― Alexandre Dumas, The Three Musketeers
    Last edited by sungila; 01-06-2019 at 12:53 PM.
    “The reason of the unreasonableness which against my reason is wrought, doth so weaken my reason, as with all reason I do justly complain on your beauty.”
    ― Miguel de Cervantes Don Quixote

Quote Originally Posted by cinnaminion View Post
    It was? When? Asking out of curiosity cuz I legit missed that
    In the reflection of Rachel's eyes, it showed what Mesmero had tampered with (seemingly?). She broke up with Kurt afterwards.

It was never stated, and was basically left open for interpretation, but the scene implied it to me. (Trying to find a bigger version)
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Sundown; 01-06-2019 at 08:31 PM.

Here, this is better

Sundown, I so very much appreciate the work you do in foraging through the best and worst of it all to gather the meaningful artifacts of Nightcrawler's presence through the years and curate them into a rekindling narrative. You offer such a rewarding resource to us fans. Always with discerning grace and a deft feel for an Kurt's most subtle and most eluive essence. Thank you.
    Last edited by sungila; 01-08-2019 at 02:02 AM.
    “The reason of the unreasonableness which against my reason is wrought, doth so weaken my reason, as with all reason I do justly complain on your beauty.”
    ― Miguel de Cervantes Don Quixote

I believe Rachel broke up with Kurt because she just couldn’t know for sure if that was manipulated as well. I’m positive she legit wanted to be with Kurt. But she can’t be sure. That’s how I took it. I don’t think it implied anything. Just that Rachel couldn’t determine if it was real.

I think most things have story potential. For this one, it would be "why" first and foremost, I guess. Mesmero certainly wasn't tampering with her years ago, when Claremont wrote them kissing in the danger room. Maybe (if Mesmero actually did this, and the implication wasn't off) Mesmero saw the seed there and exploited it? I don't know. The sad thing is that we'll probably never know, because the plot line will more than likely be dropped.

It should have implications for Kurt (as well as Rachel, but this isn't her thread) going forward. It could be used for character development. I fear it won't be, though.

I'm also wondering if, after the next event, he'll remember a universe where Megan returned his feelings. Ah well, I guess we'll see.

@Nick I don't disagree with you. I think just implying it was enough to squash the trust in the relationship, whether it really happened or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Sundown View Post
    I think most things have story potential. For this one, it would be "why" first and foremost, I guess. Mesmero certainly wasn't tampering with her years ago, when Claremont wrote them kissing in the danger room. Maybe (if Mesmero actually did this, and the implication wasn't off) Mesmero saw the seed there and exploited it? I don't know. The sad thing is that we'll probably never know, because the plot line will more than likely be dropped.

It should have implications for Kurt (as well as Rachel, but this isn't her thread) going forward. It could be used for character development. I fear it won't be, though.

I'm also wondering if, after the next event, he'll remember a universe where Megan returned his feelings. Ah well, I guess we'll see.

@Nick I don't disagree with you. I think just implying it was enough to squash the trust in the relationship, whether it really happened or not.
    Yeah, I agree. It wasn’t enough to cast doubt in Rachel regardless if he messed with that or not. Honestly I hope they forget the Age Of X Man universe. Cause if Kurt remembers he’ll likely be devistated.