Page 18 of 28 FirstFirst ... 8141516171819202122 ... LastLast
    Spectacular Member

Can someone explain this to me? Why would it be deadly for him to teleport to the ground with the same velocity?

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Crossfist View Post
    Can someone explain this to me? Why would it be deadly for him to teleport to the ground with the same velocity?
    'Cause he'll go splat. It's not the distance from the ground that matters, it's the velocity at which you impact said ground, and if he's already falling, he's already got the velocity built up. He'll arrive at the ground, and slam into it at 200 MPH, turning into a Kurt flapjack.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    'Cause he'll go splat. It's not the distance from the ground that matters, it's the velocity at which you impact said ground, and if he's already falling, he's already got the velocity built up. He'll arrive at the ground, and slam into it at 200 MPH, turning into a Kurt flapjack.
    Thank you.

Thats Claremont with extra exposition. Its crazy that they were free falling yet had the time to have a conversation and that they could even ehar each other with all that wind velocity. Kurt has ported from falling from high elevations and been fine and Im sure even within Claremont's books. Thats definitely not a limitation on his power that stuck

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    Thats Claremont with extra exposition. Its crazy that they were free falling yet had the time to have a conversation and that they could even ehar each other with all that wind velocity. Kurt has ported from falling from high elevations and been fine and Im sure even within Claremont's books. Thats definitely not a limitation on his power that stuck
    Everyone does it. Storm is being carried aloft by *winds strong enough to lift a person off the ground* and yet she can hear just fine, and be heard clearly by whomever she's talking to. Cyclops can shoot optic beams at the ground and create lift to cushion his fall, which he did quite possibly in the very issue seen above, only his eyebeams *never* cause recoil like that, and if they did, *it would happen to his eyeballs!* IF he could shoot beams at the ground to cushion his fall, he'd be hitting *HIS EYEBALLS* with enough force to stop a 185 lb man falling at 200 MPH. Ouchie... Even if his mutant eyeballs were invulnerable somehow, they'd still be punched into the back of his skull the first time he got recoil, destroying his brain!

And let's not even get into Banshee, talking and flying at the same time, when it's only his sonic scream that keeps him aloft. (So if he stopped to talk, he'd fall out of the sky!) Or Wolverine, who has unbreakable claws attached to the back of his hand *by tendons and ligaments* that would tear like tissue paper the first time he tried to claw anything tougher than flesh, like, say, wood, or stone, or metal, causing his unbreakable claws to tear right out of the back of his hand...

Comics. Eh. Science works until it gets in the way of a character looking cool, then it goes away and is replaced by whatever nonsense mumbo-jumbo lets the character keep looking cool.

Fantastic Member

So can Kurt control his orientation when teleporting? If he teleported upside down, would his velocity actually launch him upward?

I have a question. How do fans feel about Nightcrawler with a sword. I know it plays in to his swashbuckling persona they want him to have but other than AOA Nightcrawler I have notice that he doesn't seem really utilize it well in books. Given that he isn't the type to stab anyways wouldn't bo staff ,Tonfas or escrima sticks be a better choice for him especially the two last options. It stood out to me that he is carrying this sword on his back but he leaves his enemies ties up.

Astonishing Member Su_Whisterfield's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee911 View Post
    I have a question. How do fans feel about Nightcrawler with a sword. I know it plays in to his swashbuckling persona they want him to have but other than AOA Nightcrawler I have notice that he doesn't seem really utilize it well in books. Given that he isn't the type to stab anyways wouldn't bo staff ,Tonfas or escrima sticks be a better choice for him especially the two last options. It stood out to me that he is carrying this sword on his back but he leaves his enemies ties up.
    I don’t have an answer for you, but I’ve been thinking about this too. Swords are *pointy* and *dangerous* and I worry that writers give him one simply because it looks cool and they know about the swashbuckling. I’d rather he be carrying a stick.
    I also wondered why Cardinal, the pacifist, carried a sword.
    There was a simple pair of panels in HoX4 showing Wolverine decimating humans when carrying out his part of the mission. Where, in the next panel, Kurt has tied the ones he’s dealing with up. Which is excellent characterisation all round.

Quote Originally Posted by captain Qball View Post
    So can Kurt control his orientation when teleporting? If he teleported upside down, would his velocity actually launch him upward?
    Interesting. They’ve never tried it, that I recall. Possibly would need too much exposition in a comic?

That's what makes it fun! Ricochet Rita's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Su_Whist View Post
    I don’t have an answer for you, but I’ve been thinking about this too. Swords are *pointy* and *dangerous* and I worry that writers give him one simply because it looks cool and they know about the swashbuckling. I’d rather he be carrying a stick.
    Yeah, I too thought of it often, and I too believe that when he's shown carrying a sword is either because he's playing with it (he canonically loves fencing) either because a cheap writer think it's 'cool' to be bloodthirsty. Foils would be a better choice for him, since he could hurt without kill.

I wonder the same thing about Longshot. His arms are all bladed weapons --knives and razors. I like them a lot, but Longshot is basically a non-violent character, not even in the most extreme case. He wasn't able to stab Mojo when he was in his hands, for God's sake! What's the point of having those deadly weapons, then? He usually manages to use them just as retaining tools, but in his case I think the paradox has sense as a storytelling resource to show his inner struggle between the guerrilla fighter and the naturally kind person.
    Last edited by Ricochet Rita; 09-09-2019 at 04:54 AM.

Hello. Wasn't Kurt great in HOX!? Wasn't that simply amazing!? A little standing ovation in my soul.

I think Kurt's sword has everything to do with playing the part...the outfit...the persona...the way he imagines himself to be when being a hero...the sword doesn't even have to be real, really...it's part of the playing the part...he doesn't kill. And this is something I've been thinking about a lot lately, that it's in Kurt's essential story that not only has he killed but that he's been put on trial, punished, forgiven by 'God' but not by himself etc...so the sword and the type of hero Kurt outwardly projects...like many adolescent acts of rebellion of societal and/or familial revolts that are primarily unconscious responses to external threats that demand one indeitfy themselves and fit into predetermined boxes or roles that in a sense null the adventure and imagination of a story fantasy swashbuckling all for one one for all into the impossible odds hope of an ARTIST...which is who Kurt is...an artist...an acrobat...a performer...etc...so by not killing...by not accepting paradise....by not adjusting to leadership or any disharmony with any teammate (think of his relationship with Kitty or his manic friendship and flexibility around Logan)...think of how he's always talking always talking always talking (the established POV of his interior monologue was something that kinda just happened in the early books)...what's the sword...

I'm sorry...I lost my point...

Um, the sword is a pen a paintbrush...
    the sword is 'show' not tell

a talisman...a scar.

a personal mythology

evidence and artifact

IDENITY

a cutting, indecision, decidedly

Kurt Wagner the Undecider

or personas...Kurt could play everybody's part if need be...he's that involved...that aware...that practiced and outside the scenes he's in...I can almost feel him mouthing the dialogue as his co-stars speak...maybe even forgetting he's there...maybe that's how he fades out of focus from modern day stories that don't do POV like that...not an intimate voice...not in X-Books anyway. The writers want to do that themselves I think.

The sword, it's a pocket mirror! The white gloves. The red potential.

It's just what you carry when you're a fantasy hero isn't it?

And it's also a big version of that knife Stefan pulled on him...looming...strapped to the back.

Swords are kinda like 'the symbol' and obvious...but for a mercurial elusive and emotionally complex person...the obvious...isn't.
    It's a sword because it absolutely isn't.
    It's a weapon that can't kill or hurt.

You know? Um, he's forever once upon a time a trapeze artist...then he learns he can teleport...is it really that uncanny or strange...it's connected, obvious...and yet not at all...it's kinda...well, perfect right?

Hickman really wrote a gorgeously wonderful (and surprising) part for Kurt. Just perfect. In an interview recently he said something about picking up the pace in X-books. And I like that a lot. Velocity oddly slows things down. It's a queer trick like the way repetition can make a thing vanish. These few scenes with Kurt seemed so familiar, yet fresh and utterly new...as if and it's true...Logan and Kurt never died together like that that way so beautifully...it's exactly the part Kurt would want to play! (and that's a joy to feel)...I don't think Kurt would want to re-write anything...ever...the very idea of that makes me think of him in moments of arresting doubt or containment...like gazing down from heaven, brooding...back to paradise.

It's actually cool that his part in the upcoming X-Books is vaguely said to be and promised to be but has been yet solicited.
    Last edited by sungila; 09-09-2019 at 06:43 PM.
    “The reason of the unreasonableness which against my reason is wrought, doth so weaken my reason, as with all reason I do justly complain on your beauty.”
    ― Miguel de Cervantes Don Quixote

Quote Originally Posted by sungila View Post
    Hello. Wasn't Kurt great in HOX!? Wasn't that simply amazing!? A little standing ovation in my soul.

I think Kurt's sword has everything to do with playing the part...the outfit...the persona...the way he imagines himself to be when being a hero...the sword doesn't even have to be real, really...it's part of the playing the part...he doesn't kill. And this is something I've been thinking about a lot lately, that it's in Kurt's essential story that not only has he killed but that he's been put on trial, punished, forgiven by 'God' but not by himself etc...so the sword and the type of hero Kurt outwardly projects...like many adolescent acts of rebellion of societal and/or familial revolts that are primarily unconscious responses to external threats that demand one indeitfy themselves and fit into predetermined boxes or roles that in a sense null the adventure and imagination of a story fantasy swashbuckling all for one one for all into the impossible odds hope of an ARTIST...which is who Kurt is...an artist...an acrobat...a performer...etc...so by not killing...by not accepting paradise....by not adjusting to leadership or any disharmony with any teammate (think of his relationship with Kitty or his manic friendship and flexibility around Logan)...think of how he's always talking always talking always talking (the established POV of his interior monologue was something that kinda just happened in the early books)...what's the sword...

I'm sorry...I lost my point...

Um, the sword is a pen a paintbrush...
    the sword is more for 'show' than tell

like good stories...
    or poems
    or performances

or self-portaits?

or personas...Kurt could play everybody's part if need be...he's that involved...that aware...that practiced and outside the scenes he's in...I can almost feel him mouthing the dialogue as his co-stars speak...maybe even forgetting he's there...maybe that's how he fades out of focus from modern day stories that don't do POV like that...not an intimate voice...not in X-Books anyway. The writers want to do that themselves I think.

The sword, it's a pocket mirror!

It's just what you carry when you're a fantasy hero isn't it?

And it's also a big version of that knife Stefan pulled on him...looming...strapped to the back.

Swords are kinda like 'the symbol' and obvious...but for a mercurial elusive and emotionally complex person...the obvious...isn't.
    It's a sword because it absolutely isn't.
    It's a weapon that can't kill or hurt.

You know? Um, he's forever once upon a time a trapeze artist...then he learns he can teleport...is it really that uncanny or strange...it's connected, obvious...and yet not at all...it's kinda...well, perfect right?

To tarry...is an act of rebellion. To kill...isn't.

Hickman really wrote a gorgeously wonderful (and surprising) part for Kurt. Just perfect. In an interview recently he said something about picking up the pace in X-books. And I like that a lot. Velocity oddly slows things down. It's a queer trick like the way repetition can make a thing vanish. These few scenes with Kurt seemed so familiar, yet fresh and utterly new...as if and it's true...Logan and Kurt never died together like that that way so beautifully...it's exactly the part Kurt would want to play! (and that's a joy to feel)...I don't think Kurt would want to re-write anything...ever...the very idea of that makes me think of him in moments of arresting doubt or containment...like gazing down from heaven, brooding...back to paradise.
    You might be on to something with the sword as prop.

Kurt and Logan certainly got a crowning moment of awesome in the last issue. So brave, the pair of them.

And “When you wake from this earthly slumber, my friend, look for me. I will be there waiting for you, radiant and with open arms.” is possible the most Kurt thing I have ever seen. Glorious.

who knows, I could see Nightcrawler with some billy clubs, but of course, certain people rigidly associate that with Daredevil, who knows how editorial might react. In my own 'head canon', I can see Kurt having a fencing epee that is equipped with a "stun zap". He can cut if he has to, but it's not about being outright lethal like Logan. A lot of people forget that Nightcrawler became adept at some electronics tinkering, though he never became portrayed as a super genius techie compared to Forge and Beast.

I still want the power boost of him being able to summon brimstone fog, to blind/confuse foes (his own vision is unaffected)...

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    who knows, I could see Nightcrawler with some billy clubs, but of course, certain people rigidly associate that with Daredevil, who knows how editorial might react. In my own 'head canon', I can see Kurt having a fencing epee that is equipped with a "stun zap". He can cut if he has to, but it's not about being outright lethal like Logan. A lot of people forget that Nightcrawler became adept at some electronics tinkering, though he never became portrayed as a super genius techie compared to Forge and Beast.

I still want the power boost of him being able to summon brimstone fog, to blind/confuse foes (his own vision is unaffected)...
    I like the idea of him with metal escrima sticks(basically billy clubs) but he can connect the two of them together to about a sword length weapon(maybe staff length). I think that would accomplish the same thing as swords but be nonviolent. I guess know in thinking about I rather a warrior philosopher monk type feel for Nightcrawler than the swashbuckler feel they try to push. That said Hickman Nightcrawler was very good and that is what I would want to see more of in books. Wolverine and Nightcrawler are great pair because the contrast between the two of them and their philosophy are great when you see them together.

Can't lie, I still kinda 'ship it.