Page 25 of 28 FirstFirst ... 152122232425262728 LastLast
    Astonishing Member Su_Whisterfield's Avatar

Via Runmonsterrun on tumblr. How cute is this?

3A977DEA-A60F-46EF-B888-353A338818BA.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Su_Whisterfield View Post
    Via Runmonsterrun on tumblr. How cute is this?

3A977DEA-A60F-46EF-B888-353A338818BA.jpg

YES! There is a Kurt off to Amerika circa '75, in a rush of teenaged wanderlust, on the way to a drive-in circa '65 a rock n roll anthem in his heart, already feeling the big screen lit stage, the electric hue of juke box color flooding the B&W dream, and brimming with golden boy anticipation of coming in cool, from across the aisle, with a pout and a wink and a turn away but back, like hey babe rebel ditch the creeps and meet me (if you want) out in fields forever...I got a ride outside...ah, Kurt, suspended between the bars...and I want that coat!
    Last edited by sungila; 12-16-2019 at 12:00 PM.
    “The reason of the unreasonableness which against my reason is wrought, doth so weaken my reason, as with all reason I do justly complain on your beauty.”
    ― Miguel de Cervantes Don Quixote

Quote Originally Posted by sungila View Post

YES! There is a Kurt off to Amerika circa '75, in a rush of teenaged wanderlust, on the way to a drive-in circa '65 a rock n roll anthem in his heart, already feeling the big screen lit stage, the electric hue of juke box color flooding the B&W dream, and brimming with golden boy anticipation of coming in cool, from across the aisle, with a pout and a wink and a turn away but back, like hey babe rebel ditch the creeps and meet me (if you want) out in fields forever...I got a ride outside...ah, Kurt, suspended between the bars...and I want that coat!
    I bet America was a shock to the system of a circus lad, brought up in Europe, most like, his only ideas of the US will have come from his love of old movies.
    I’ve written a fic about the early days in the Mansion, which you might enjoy?
    https://archiveofourown.org/works/21466486

I bet America was a shock to the system of a circus lad, brought up in Europe, most like, his only ideas of the US will have come from his love of old movies.
    I’ve written a fic about the early days in the Mansion, which you might enjoy?
    https://archiveofourown.org/works/21466486
    Thank you Su! I'll check it out!
    Love good Kurt fanfics! Some of the best and most important modern Kurt lit to me is the amazing work of the oh so talented fans (who do or have and may come here occasionally like Chia, m.hammermann, sundowhn...hello if you're here...hi).

I tried writing some myself, but...well...I mean, my posts alone are...and in real life I can't actually 'keep' stuff...teleporting would be great cause no trail...smoke only...so I go around with rusty dented imaginary fuel cans to put of the dark shadows with white space...see, by posting...BAMF...it's gone before delete...and it's in the window...outside...like days.

BTW, when you shared your story about coming back to comics and Kurt, and that you're even into the new and digital and that you're very much here here here, well, I still feel that right here, and there's nothing to say about it...in a good good already here (heart place) way, congratulations, wow, welcome back, so amazing, and thank you. Hello. I am very happy you're here. And that it's here.

And who knows what sort of journey exits between jaunts really?
    Forever in an instant and every instant forever.

The sound (BAMF) is one I've seen and heard only in silence...which isn't silent at all.

Like pooling water...touch a reflection and it...rings...
    Last edited by sungila; 12-16-2019 at 12:33 PM.
    “The reason of the unreasonableness which against my reason is wrought, doth so weaken my reason, as with all reason I do justly complain on your beauty.”

Thanks, it’s very, very strange to return to a fandom I left in about 1990! There wasn’t any online fandom my first time round, we had to meet up in person, in fan clubs and comics shops, it’s easier to connect now.
    I’m enjoying writing fanfic (the one I recommended is very sweet, by my standards, most of the rest of mine are er... not) and scribbling in the creative margins.

I'm here, lurking and waiting to see when the fuzzy elf surfaces again.

Quote Originally Posted by Sundown View Post
    I'm here, lurking and waiting to see when the fuzzy elf surfaces again.
    I’m hoping there is an important plot line he’ll be involved with, I suspect it will involve Mommy Dearest and Irene. I don’t like Mystique, but I’m hoping Hickman rehabilitates her into a usable character again. But it may just be a plot line about his religion, which I’m less interested in.

Do you write fanfic too? Sungila mentioned other writers.

Extraordinary Member From The Shadows's Avatar

Anyone else tired of them putting Nightcrawler back in his old togs all the time? I didnt like the idea of the beard in the beginning but quickly grew to love it. He needed an update along with his costume. I liked the one in RED. A pic of it in the link below. Him in his old costume surrounded by characters in modern ones really clashes.

https://i2.wp.com/www.comicsbeat.com...1-leinilyu.png

Quote Originally Posted by From The Shadows View Post
    Anyone else tired of them putting Nightcrawler back in his old togs all the time? I didnt like the idea of the beard in the beginning but quickly grew to love it. He needed an update along with his costume. I liked the one in RED. A pic of it in the link below. Him in his old costume surrounded by characters in modern ones really clashes.

Still love the original, possibility I am an old pfart, but I agree; the Red costume was the best update he ever had, keeping the lines and flow of the original but updating it.
    And I adored the beard from day one, I love beards on handsome men, though I’d have preferred a goatee.

The other reason I liked it on Kurt was the air of maturity it gave him; beardy Kurt looks as though he should sit on The Council and be treated with some gravitas, current Kurt, clean shaven and in his original costume, looks like a priapic faun, and about 15.

Particularly when sat next to Jean as Marvel Girl, they look like the pair of them have stepped out of a time warp from the 70’s. People keep telling me Hickman writes a long, clever game and to wait and see, it will all lead somewhere, but currently, I’m not feeling it.

Quote Originally Posted by From The Shadows View Post

I actually really like seeing Kurt freshly minted and shimmering here in HoX/Pox. I've been sort of flinching away from feeling how much I've missed the essential Kurt for so long (and yes yes yes the look and shoulder back matured sincerity of bearded Kurt did and does and was a wonderful final glimpse at the come forward my good man Mr. Wagner after all these years)...but, the Red story itself was telling of how the pre-Hickman era X-Men had truly come to the end of Kurt's story and potential. And dredging him up in that end honestly pressed the point that a character of depth and 'soul' and longform development exposed the tiny spans of those books fields.

So I am so happy to see him here, to see him introduced so powerfully and thrillingly, to see him totally himself...and to see him potentially free and clear of baggage. The articulate acrobatic grace of a lithe hero who never wore a cargo belt or fused with uanessacry pockets, to see him streamlined and sexy and strong...I love it really.

This guy:
    fullsizeoutput_1a5.jpg

HELLO SUNDOWN!!! Did you read How/PoX? You didn't love this Kurt?!
    Why? He's so KURT to me.

Also he's like this...um, this really great statement : hey revolving door of death...meet Nightcrawler...he teleports and performs death defying feats like dying with Logan...but he doesn't die. So there!

I love this guy. And yes of course I fear he's being deceived! Or might discover he's not him...or have to figure it out...or something...but that all is interesting and exciting to me and is soooooooo Kurt.

I'm dying to know what you think or why you saying your waiting to see him...this IS him, isn't it?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by sungila; 12-17-2019 at 12:19 PM.

Sungila, I don’t know who Simon Bianchi is, but he draws an adorable Kurt, I think you will like.

8FCF4A8A-E9FB-4246-B9FC-F22B115845FB.jpg
    Via Reddit

Sungila, I don’t know who Simon Bianchi is, but he draws an adorable Kurt, I think you will like.

8FCF4A8A-E9FB-4246-B9FC-F22B115845FB.jpg
    Via Reddit
    He was a former X-men artist on Astonishing X-men after the Whedon/Cassady run. He designed several of the costumes during the SF era

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    He was a former X-men artist on Astonishing X-men after the Whedon/Cassady run. He designed several of the costumes during the SF era

Thanks! Even better in colour. There’s a nice energy to the design.

Thanks! Even better in colour. There’s a nice energy to the design.

Yes I do like Bianchi's Nightcrawler design...smoldery blue'emberin' smoke fluidity. Really great. Also, he's got that out of an old world wyrd German fairy tale sort of faerie demony quality...Cassidy keep and the leprechauns as Gaiman may've writ it.

I think my favorite artist of this era's look is Huberto Ramos.

Seeing Kurt has been always been great...however the stories these looks and bodies have been cast into are mostly....well, sincerely there is this manic sadness and bitter-sweetness to Claremont's last solo that gets to me...it's like CC was trying to do two different things at once...one: to tell a Kurt story...two:to push back against the decades of losing his characters to the very thing he created...the industry that would and did...and Kurt was his sort of everyday voice...the one with a sense of humor and expressive sympathy and understanding of the other characters and even the nearly first person perspective of the strange worlds and other worlds and fun and horror of all that is sci/fi ongoing soap opera comics...

Todd Nauck really did such beautiful heartfelt work in incorporating as much of Claremont's Nightcrawler as protagonist (from Cockrum, Byrne and Smith to Davis on through the Quest For more-than-just-legacy fallen from fodder Kurt of McGuinness' Amazing. Nauck was generous and celebratory which worked in odd contrast to the felt hurt and grieving of the seemingly deliberately smooth yet cacophonous imperfect scripting of Claremont.

Note. Not a great series. But great for not being great.
    Anybody else feel like Bloody Bess was meant to be Elizabeth 'Betts' Braddock or an alt version? Because when Kurt says he recognizes that voice.

It'd be interesting to chart the most important Kurt stories post Davis' Excalibur up to Hickman.
    If we consider or could consider Kurt Claremont's voice...in a way...you know?

I really do want a Nightcrawler book that's really a memoir.
    A graphic stand alone memoir as written and told and person'ed by Nightcrawler.
    Away from Hickman's continuity.

But not apart from it.

These two images recently, hugs and holds and sometimes I love Logan a lot, exactly as he is (massive amounts of hairy media)...I think (I get this focus and perspective that allows love for one Logan) because of Kurt really.

images.jpeg
    kohcg6wb6ol31.jpg
    Last edited by sungila; 12-18-2019 at 12:33 PM.

Spectacular Member

Well, it seems that the creative team has sidelined Nightcrawler... again. I'm sure he'll chime into the odd conversation or pop into a brief skirmish here and there, but it's the same old stuff yet again.

I guess we'll just have to be content that he's one of twelve council members and has been an advocate for mutants Getting it On, but we're reading comics here, so that was going to happen anyways. Many of the other council members get to adventure, but Nightcrawler is tidying up Krakoa, I guess.

Even with all the excitement about the "fresh start" the X-books are having right now, I'd still like to see Nightcrawler "loaned" to another franchise, like the Avengers or Fantastic Four. Clearly, he's not an inspiration to anyone on the current creative team. Why not let other writers have him?