Page 26 of 28 FirstFirst ... 1622232425262728 LastLast
    Astonishing Member Su_Whisterfield's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Grimsmack View Post
    Well, it seems that the creative team has sidelined Nightcrawler... again. I'm sure he'll chime into the odd conversation or pop into a brief skirmish here and there, but it's the same old stuff yet again.

I guess we'll just have to be content that he's one of twelve council members and has been an advocate for mutants Getting it On, but we're reading comics here, so that was going to happen anyways. Many of the other council members get to adventure, but Nightcrawler is tidying up Krakoa, I guess.

Even with all the excitement about the "fresh start" the X-books are having right now, I'd still like to see Nightcrawler "loaned" to another franchise, like the Avengers or Fantastic Four. Clearly, he's not an inspiration to anyone on the current creative team. Why not let other writers have him?
    Yeah, bored of waiting now.
    As you say, if they don’t want to use him, I wouldn’t mind someone else having a crack at him.

Quote Originally Posted by Grimsmack View Post
    Well, it seems that the creative team has sidelined Nightcrawler... again. I'm sure he'll chime into the odd conversation or pop into a brief skirmish here and there, but it's the same old stuff yet again.

I guess we'll just have to be content that he's one of twelve council members and has been an advocate for mutants Getting it On, but we're reading comics here, so that was going to happen anyways. Many of the other council members get to adventure, but Nightcrawler is tidying up Krakoa, I guess.

Even with all the excitement about the "fresh start" the X-books are having right now, I'd still like to see Nightcrawler "loaned" to another franchise, like the Avengers or Fantastic Four. Clearly, he's not an inspiration to anyone on the current creative team. Why not let other writers have him?
    The Longform prosaic decades of Kurt Wagner provide ample language and articulate points of reference for conveying much in the winnowed short form windows of todays comics. His role in this new dawn, imo, is essential, is immediate, is (even silent) something and somebody important. He's a rock in a mountain of mist, a gateway home...just a threshold...but a real one...in a new dawn where of mirror, rabbit holes, and uncertainty....Nightcrawler being Nightcrawler is expanse, is substance and is dynamic.

Kurt is a vessel and container, but also thrillingly free to become...once again elusive and yet known...tenable but uncaged. It's good.

Right now. Nightcrawler is essential. Nobody else is him. No other 'word' for him in this new dawn.
    He's the Nightcrawler.
    And that's important to me. I really feel that, and it has been a very long time.

This is kinda sorta maybe a perfect X-Men comics environment for a real and enduring (in a modern way) Kurt Wagner.

(That's my improvisational song and dance...trying my best, interpretively to explain...why Kurt IS in these books even when he isn't...or maybe it's me...but he's so much of how I read X-Books when I'm really into them)

Yea?
    Maybe??

Hmm...

And since I'm really into Hickman's New Dawn X-Men...Nightcrawler (must be) here

If one were to read these books as Kurt might read them...if you can imagine it, it'd work!

I mean, for example, is there a Kurt in the or a version the afterlife witnessing the Kurt in this life (maybe surprised at that free love declaration...eyes wide and suddenly maybe a little um...considering Heaven might be where he's feeling this and maybe that declaration is a means and way back), or maybe with Logan, maybe the two are right now on an underworld/otherworld adventure...or what if and why not?
    Last edited by sungila; 12-20-2019 at 01:18 PM.
    “The reason of the unreasonableness which against my reason is wrought, doth so weaken my reason, as with all reason I do justly complain on your beauty.”
    ― Miguel de Cervantes Don Quixote

Astonishing Member Su_Whisterfield's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sungila View Post
    The Longform prosaic decades of Kurt Wagner provide ample language and articulate points of reference for conveying much in the winnowed short form windows of todays comics. His role in this new dawn, imo, is essential, is immediate, is (even silent) something and somebody important. He's a rock in a mountain of mist, a gateway home...just a threshold...but a real one...in a new dawn where of mirror, rabbit holes, and uncertainty....Nightcrawler being Nightcrawler is expanse, is substance and is dynamic.

Kurt is a vessel and container, but also thrillingly free to become...once again elusive and yet known...tenable but uncaged. It's good.

Right now. Nightcrawler is essential. Nobody else is him. No other 'word' for him in this new dawn.
    He's the Nightcrawler.
    And that's important to me. I really feel that, and it has been a very long time.

This is kinda sorta maybe a perfect X-Men comics environment for a real and enduring (in a modern way) Kurt Wagner.

(That's my improvisational song and dance...trying my best, interpretively to explain...why Kurt IS in these books even when he isn't...or maybe it's me...but he's so much of how I read X-Books when I'm really into them)

Yea?
    Maybe??

Hmm...

And since I'm really into Hickman's New Dawn X-Men...Nightcrawler (must be) here

If one were to read these books as Kurt might read them...if you can imagine it, it'd work!

I mean, for example, is there a Kurt in the or a version the afterlife witnessing the Kurt in this life (maybe surprised at that free love declaration...eyes wide and suddenly maybe a little um...considering Heaven might be where he's feeling this and maybe that declaration is a means and way back), or maybe with Logan, maybe the two are right now on an underworld/otherworld adventure...or what if and why not?
    Oh, I am in agreement; he’s clearly important on the Island and in the story of Krakoa, but so are Jean and Ororo, I’m just eager to *see* his role (to be fair, I’d love to see all The Council in more detail) and we seem to have been waiting a long time.

Dancing in the Shadows Indigo_Lady's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Su_Whisterfield View Post
    I’m hoping there is an important plot line he’ll be involved with, I suspect it will involve Mommy Dearest and Irene. I don’t like Mystique, but I’m hoping Hickman rehabilitates her into a usable character again. But it may just be a plot line about his religion, which I’m less interested in.

Do you write fanfic too? Sungila mentioned other writers.
    Like Sundown, I'm lurking but not reading much. I'm not a fan of this whole Krakoa stuff.

BTW, I have written fanfiction too, mostly Kurt and Ororo stuff. I always felt that Claremont was taking them somewhere until Editorial stepped in and brought House of M, which nixed all his development.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Indigo_Lady View Post
    Like Sundown, I'm lurking but not reading much. I'm not a fan of this whole Krakoa stuff.

BTW, I have written fanfiction too, mostly Kurt and Ororo stuff. I always felt that Claremont was taking them somewhere until Editorial stepped in and brought House of M, which nixed all his development.
    Claremont was definitely building Nightcrawler's character. It was great when he was in the service of Excalibur.

Right now, we just have imaginations to tide us over. Just like every other character.

I'm a bit more optimistic, tbh. The more I see of the X-Men title, the more it seems like a seed book. It's heavily implied that Kurt's got spotlight coming up in issue #7 regarding an issue central to the new mutant nation - the Resurrection Protocols. I know Hickman's keeping the X-Men book to one-and-done issues, but, so far as the overall narrative goes, this seems like a big deal that could lead to something else.

Quote Originally Posted by Anduinel View Post
    I'm a bit more optimistic, tbh. The more I see of the X-Men title, the more it seems like a seed book. It's heavily implied that Kurt's got spotlight coming up in issue #7 regarding an issue central to the new mutant nation - the Resurrection Protocols. I know Hickman's keeping the X-Men book to one-and-done issues, but, so far as the overall narrative goes, this seems like a big deal that could lead to something else.
    Me too yes, as I was trying (failing) to say (as always) poorly

And once again with artful clarity and generous grace Anduinel states the actual reason for prescient hope and substantial solicitations from the happenings that habitat hows and whys I feel Kurt's presence in the ongoing Krakoa comics in which he's _____ seemingly ______ not ______ there and yet ______ not _________ not-there.

Oh no, see it's not something I could convince anybody of, it's often her's right THERE in the most obvious sense and not there at all, I mean I love Ed McGuiness' Nightcrawler but did you read that Spiderman/Deadpool issue with him in it....there he was....he was great....the story wan't....and his greatness in that story felt almost sad because it didn't matter really at all...I mean it does...but it didn't.

What I hope for from Hickman's helmed X-Men Kurt is something and somebody real.
    Ironically the one and done, hard driving pacing of these books working in wyrd ways with Hickman's meticulous world building pushes the characterization into essential poetics...none of this superfluousness effusing (like the way I post for instance)...and these poetics are the language of Kurt Wagner in X-Books!

BAMF!

I'm not really capable of teleporting...so it's more like me standing here awkwardly...but...though posted right here, me I'm also someplace else...hoping...I'm not really.

You might translate or understand you might not not...but regardless, if you've read this post all the way through

maybe you might smile at this part

...to here, then you're already so much closer that which is the what I'm hoping is that I'm talking about actually happening, maybe #7...maybe the solicits for that ish are already past us....so, we're in the middle of...or actually since we've not yet been there though it could be done...

BAMF!

...now I'm really mostly someplace else.

...but I can't teleport so,

TAH-DAH!!!

here hold these...they're like um...mime flowers that you don't have to water or keep or pick to take and hold.

Attachment 90538
    maybe because a swashbuckler with a good sword requires no shield, I carry this um...flower...like Kurt might....a sword...

Oh & Hi & Hello INDIGO LADY!
    Last edited by sungila; 12-21-2019 at 12:10 PM.
    “The reason of the unreasonableness which against my reason is wrought, doth so weaken my reason, as with all reason I do justly complain on your beauty.”

Extraordinary Member From The Shadows's Avatar

Well thats good. See? They didnt kill Kurt they just dont talk about him a whole lot just like before they killed him. Isnt that great? Umm... I think people forget that before the internet that many writers didn't even talk about the plans they had for the characters as much with the public. I heard by talking in comic shops with people that have met writers at comic cons or through blurbs in magazines like Amazing Heroes all about Kitty Pryde that came from Claremont and this was during the Excalibur days where Kurt was arguably the star of that book. Just by listening to them you'd think Kurt wasnt even in the same book. Back then, not being on a cover or being talked about by writers in any great capacity didnt mean they weren't going to be used. Hell when I read the old Marvel Age and they were talking about Davis' return to Excalibur they really didnt mention characters specifically but they mentioned I quote "the team" and it was much like that for e X-Men too. I actually sometimes think that was the better way to do it.

And I cant stress this enough but please bring back Kurts Red costume and his updated hairdo, the 80s hair and outfit has got to go and this is coming from someone who has been reading the X-Men since 1983.
    Last edited by From The Shadows; 12-21-2019 at 03:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Indigo_Lady View Post

I loved the Reload era before Editorial came in with House of M and ruined it. I really liked Ororos XSE. It felt like the X-Men were moving forward and Kurt came off as Ororos unofficial second in command. I also liked the romantic tension between the two but of course there was the Kiss with Rachel plus the tension with Betsy who told Bishop she was saving the best for last which was Kurt before she cut through Kurts head with her psi katanna. Boy, Claremont really didnt space this Ororo/Rachel/Betsy stuff out all that much. It happened the span of a few issues. Its like when Kurt left the preisthood women werer drawn to him like moths to a flame and they were ready for some Bavarian cream pie, ha! . That era Kurt was strong, clever, commanding and of course, sexy.

I havent been following the Krakoa story either like IndigoLady. I feel its been done already with Utopia, another island sanctuary for mutants. Yawn.

I had this in a post with what I posted above but it didnt copy for whatever reason. Thats why you're getting two separate posts.
    Last edited by From The Shadows; 12-21-2019 at 03:39 PM.

Krakoa isn't at all like Utopia.

Quote Originally Posted by sungila View Post
    Krakoa isn't at all like Utopia.
    I mean it is but its also quite different. There's alot of similarities between the two

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    I mean it is but its also quite different. There's alot of similarities between the two
    Not so many that essentially shrugging and going, "It's been done already" is at all applicable, especially once you get past the single broad stroke of "island refuge for mutants", which I expect was sungila's point. Thematically and functionally, the stories are miles apart.

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    So it isnt just me.

Not so many that essentially shrugging and going, "It's been done already" is at all applicable, especially once you get past the single broad stroke of "island refuge for mutants", which I expect was sungila's point. Thematically and functionally, the stories are miles apart.
    I actually gave the first couple of issues a chance and didnt just shrug at it. I wanted to like it but I dont. It seems to have struck a cord with you thats why you have become so protective of it. I found it rather boring and pretentious. I actually thought it had enough in common with Utopia for me to give it a pass but at least Utopia was entertaining despite it feeling like it was betraying my X-Men with its dark turn. I really dont care about the unique differences give me something brand new. And on those differences I'm aware of what they are but I really just dont care about Krakoa becoming something deeper and the so called deep moments didnt even touch my heart or my soul or the plot didnt feed my mind. But thats just one posters opinion.
    Last edited by From The Shadows; 12-21-2019 at 09:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by From The Shadows View Post
    So it isnt just me.

I actually gave the first couple of issues a chance and didnt just shrug at it. I wanted to like it but I dont. It seems to have struck a cord with you thats why you have become so protective of it. I found it rather boring and pretentious. I actually thought it had enough in common with Utopia for me to give it a pass but at least Utopia was entertaining despite it feeling like it was betraying my X-Men with its dark turn. I really dont care about the unique differences give me something brand new. And on those differences I'm aware of what they are but I really just dont care about Krakoa becoming something deeper and the so called deep moments didnt even touch my heart or my soul or the plot didnt feed my mind. But thats just one posters opinion.

Understood From the Shadows. Can I ask you if there have been any arcs or runs in X-books since Claremont's Reload that have touched your heart or your soul and/or fed your mind?

I find that there are many Nightcrawler fans who have expressed this same entirely authentic intensity of feeling as though Kurt hasn't been well written, convincingly or rewardingly integrated into the major storylines or given more than a spotlight or aside to fuel or colour either the nostalgia of the 'classic' fanbase in order to keep us around or the greater story of another chosen upper echelon X-Men character.

I totally get it and appreciate this. And I believe Chris Claremont himself would agree and might offer more of what he would do if he could with Kurt and what that would do to his X-Men.

I'm not nostalgic like that, not anymore anyway...and I'm not sure when that changed for me. Or if I ever really was, or just thought I had to be.

What you should...(oh how I dislike those three words). I think 'what you should' really shouldn't.

This is a thing that, thankfully, is not up (could be jaunting midway or swaying...cartwheeling, crossways) but not fodder for debate.

And I'm happy, as always, to hear it as it is, From the Shadows.

You know, I can feel this weird thing when I read Claremont's RELOAD. And for me honestly, my Kurt, I think he had a dream in his coma that was 75 issues or so of Excalibur and that he actually woke up for that third solo series...but only up into another perhaps few fathoms closer to the surface or deeper down all all they way through the dregs of the generative dream...and I don't know...I just don't know...if it even matters if he ever comes back up in one place at one time....as the same person or people...or if it's me...really, to find him when and where I do and can...

I know you liked the way he looked in Red but did you enjoy that book?
    I tried. I didn't.

Much of the good I do find in the present books is really what sustains where I come from as a Kurt fan.
    So without this Nightcrawler of the new dawn, without a future...eventually even ghosts die from exposure, everybody needs a 'place' to go or not to go...and it does have to be an authentic touch...a real feeling...to feel...and without that I'd eventually lose touch (and I have during Utopia mostly, really and the late 90's too) of my Kurt...who oddly, I find when mostly as I did originally...which is to say, I can't explain or remember really, where it begins or re-sounds. Entrance lost upon entry.

For me, Hickman's setting and this tone and this whole new world...it's very unexpected for me to honestly trust it...but I do...and it's just about perfect as anything today could be...for what I hope to be to be...and even Cardinal (in red) who was and then isn't and who might still someday be...is enchantingly present in and because of the so gorgeously shining Kurt of the council who really doesn't sit...in a throne or chair...and if he does...it' more like a cat would, than a person commanded would do to obey. He's interesting and sexy and I like I'm not sure what he might do, but how he poses the question...mmmm.

I love what Hickman hasn't done as much as what he has. And working with a character of abundance like Kurt...that's, well, it's like what poet's do. And so much of me believes that today's comics demand something more immediate and purposeful than the narrative form that worked so well with UXM before. What is long form now could happen only in new form, working with cannon as language, using what was for silence and breath...Kurt is not just a character now, he's a word, a verb...an active noun. What I mean is, he's a beautiful untranslatable expression that carries meaning, exclusively, Nightcrawler.

Rather than talk about it.
    I think it's better and important now
    TO BE.

Immediacy...to be

And that's an interesting thing for Kurt to actually do...and that's in a way who he is...that challenge as a state of being...mid jaunt constant. This present tense called Krakoa is perfectly formated for a Nightcrawler phrase.
    Last edited by sungila; 12-22-2019 at 04:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by From The Shadows View Post
    Anyone else tired of them putting Nightcrawler back in his old togs all the time? I didnt like the idea of the beard in the beginning but quickly grew to love it. He needed an update along with his costume. I liked the one in RED. A pic of it in the link below. Him in his old costume surrounded by characters in modern ones really clashes.

https://i2.wp.com/www.comicsbeat.com...1-leinilyu.png
    what possible chest logo could somebody do that fits Nightcrawler? Besides an 'X'.