Page 4 of 28 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

I thought his attempts at disguises were fun.

Fun art.

I like that this artist does fur in his art, but it's a bit too shaggy and long, imo.

Last edited by Sundown; 01-25-2019 at 09:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by From The Shadows View Post
    You're kidding right, honey? He looks like a pimp. I think we're gonna have to start questioning your fashion sense as well. *snicker-snort*

I mean maybe if he lost the hat and those large glasses... Those two things with that... old lady coat and maybe gave himself a Bowie cut, if I could see him into that. I always got the impression Kurt was more of a classic suit guy rather than glam. None of them fit together at all. It looks like he just threw together whatever he could find. Don't get a real Bowie vibe from that Davis panel.
    ha! and although you're entirely most likely absolutely right...that would mean Kurt's plan for blending into the crowd is him as pimp and Rachel and Kitty as...

Excalibur was surely something special.

Still, Davis' street level is carnival crazy. Excalibur is primarily a setting for Bowie's Ziggy Stardust and Aladin Sane...i bet we could find him in a panel or two if we looked.
    Last edited by sungila; 01-26-2019 at 01:28 PM.
    “The reason of the unreasonableness which against my reason is wrought, doth so weaken my reason, as with all reason I do justly complain on your beauty.”
    ― Miguel de Cervantes Don Quixote

I see his costumes as an extension of his attitude in the circus. I remember he's said before that the circus audience just assumed he was a man in a devil costume, and that was a way for him to hide in plain sight. I think it probably also gave him a (false) sense of acceptance. The dramatic outfits during Excalibur seem like a variation of that. If he looked outlandish enough, maybe he thought the public might simply see a man in a costume again, or that they'd pay more attention to the get-up he was wearing than what was underneath.

Extraordinary Member From The Shadows's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sungila View Post
    ha! and although you're entirely most likely absolutely right...that would mean Kurt's plan for blending into the crowd is him as pimp and Rachel and Kitty as...

Excalibur was surely something special.

Still, Davis' street level is carnival crazy. Excalibur is primarily a setting for Bowie's Ziggy Stardust and Aladin Sane...i bet we could find him in a panel or two if we looked.
    Maybe, but until then...

Quote Originally Posted by Sundown View Post
    I see his costumes as an extension of his attitude in the circus. I remember he's said before that the circus audience just assumed he was a man in a devil costume, and that was a way for him to hide in plain sight. I think it probably also gave him a (false) sense of acceptance. The dramatic outfits during Excalibur seem like a variation of that. If he looked outlandish enough, maybe he thought the public might simply see a man in a costume again, or that they'd pay more attention to the get-up he was wearing than what was underneath.
    Hmm... I like that explanation.

Once upon a time, Kurt's idea of hiding in public was being Errol Flynn.

I just don't know Sundown. I agree with much of your post. It's well perceived and in keeping with Kurt from UXM through Excalibur...and yet..I don't know.

One thing is certain, in the world Kurt is socially awkward if he's not performing. And sometimes his most extravegent performances (like being a priest), are somehow controlled...he's a method actor...and yes, that's the biggest draw in this new upcoming solo for me. Thing is he's also the director, writer and stunt double.

He seems the most unburdened when he's observing or alone and speaking in monologue. That great scene in the last solo of him dressing for work was a joyful version...but these intimate asides are usually like a whiplash they're just so grounded. All that motion and spotlighting stops, then from shadows in stillness he's suddenly illuminated, calm, certain, centered and firm. There were those few moments in the tunnels with Callisto and then the post Beyonder spiral between his near fatal encounter with Nimrod and denouement with RipTide where he showed himself as himself entirely - perhaps because he was shedding all he thought he had to lose.

Just think how different he was fighting off that mob when Xavier found him then when Piotr and Kitty found him crushed and defenseless after Nimrod during Mutant Massacre.

Would he ever really surrender that control in the ordinary everyday world? If he wasn't broken. I mean, was he relieved to be unable to defend himself? Was his power in Excalibur in part because he was in recovery and then the fractured leg?

So....

Of course, here we are back to Kurt Darkholme. Who snarls in disgust

"Disguise what!?"

Last edited by sungila; 01-27-2019 at 02:26 AM.
    “The reason of the unreasonableness which against my reason is wrought, doth so weaken my reason, as with all reason I do justly complain on your beauty.”
    ― Miguel de Cervantes Don Quixote

BANNED

What should be the next big Nightcrawler story? I feel like Kurt hasn't had anything cool to do in a while.

That's what makes it fun! Ricochet Rita's Avatar

Reminds me of a certain somebody strange and beautiful who was forever...fashioning queer fashions from wrecked wardrobes and dreams

Attachment 77594
    imagine him in blue...that's it really, just a lot of mascara

"...swinging an old bouquet..."
    Actually, it's not difficult at all:

Sorry for the Off Topic --just mention Bowie and you'll have me eating out of your hand

Look out at your children
    See their faces in golden rays
    Don't kid yourself they belong to you
    They're the start of a coming race
    The earth is a bitch
    We've finished our news
    Homo Sapiens have outgrown their use
    All the strangers came today
    And it looks as though they're here to stay

...You gotta make way for the Homo Superior

Anyway, no, I don't see glam vibes in Kurt either. However, it's a fact he loves disguises and he wears as a pirate or fantasy warrior at the first opportunity. Probably because

Out of that, when he's among friends and trustworthy people, it's been stated (and I personally think it's fitting for him) that his taste is plain and classic.

Dancing in the Shadows Indigo_Lady's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Can'tHexTheX View Post
    What should be the next big Nightcrawler story? I feel like Kurt hasn't had anything cool to do in a while.
    I'd be happy with any team story where he took a major role rather than that of a mutant taxi service.

Maybe a romance that is actually on screen rather than just talked about? I'd also like him returned to a place where he makes major contributions with clever ideas rather than brute force, but that would require a writer with some amount of intelligence. Unfortunately, those are hard to find these days.

Agree with Indigo_Lady many times over. These are the kind of things I'd like to see. The story doesn't much matter if he can't even get characterization.

Kurt's cunning intellect is almost never used any longer, especially, and it's a shame.

He seems the most unburdened when he's observing or alone and speaking in monologue. That great scene in the last solo of him dressing for work was a joyful version...but these intimate asides are usually like a whiplash they're just so grounded. All that motion and spotlighting stops, then from shadows in stillness he's suddenly illuminated, calm, certain, centered and firm. .....

Would he ever really surrender that control in the ordinary everyday world? If he wasn't broken. I mean, was he relieved to be unable to defend himself? Was his power in Excalibur in part because he was in recovery and then the fractured leg?

So....

Of course, here we are back to Kurt Darkholme. Who snarls in disgust

"Disguise what!?"

That last comment is almost enough to base a story on...lol

I think you nailed it that Kurt is a performer at heart, in all aspects of his life. How many of his "best" friends have seen him let down his guard and actually talk about what's going on inside? It seems they just get the performance. Ha...would be interesting to see a story from the bamfs perspective, because it looks like he talks to them like an extension of himself.
    Last edited by Sundown; 01-28-2019 at 07:55 PM.

Y'know since we were talking about Kurt's uh, complex style I reiterate that I think he pulls off a suit very well and he's got nice lines as Janet aka Wasp would say.

Cont...
    Last edited by From The Shadows; 01-28-2019 at 11:47 PM.

And then there's some of this nice lounge wear Kurt used to strut around in. I think its really funny... I mean he goes around in these thin tight pants and these flowing shirts exposing his chest. Does he think that may not effect some people or is he so used to being seen as a outcast he doesn't give it a second thought? When he was going around naked in NY looking for Candy his biggest concern was freezing and not that he may be flashing most of New York.

Going through my images I realized how much Kurt is naked, shirtless, lounging, showering, taking a bath, getting dressed, wearing loincloths, clothes torn or in a robe... it's astounding.

Cont...
    Last edited by From The Shadows; 01-30-2019 at 02:43 AM.

And there was of course this look. I mean he somehow fights in a... diaper? But that's ok. This seems to have been a popular look for Kurt and while I love his curls/waves I rather liked this style.

That's what makes it fun! Ricochet Rita's Avatar

God bless fanservice

I truly believe that Kurt was the one who introduced explicit male sex appeal in Marvel comics. Probaly thanks to Cockrum himself.

I agree, Rita, and my-oh-my did it work well. Lol!

Age of X-Man Alpha was a very good start, in my opinion. I enjoyed it. The phonetic dialect was a surprise, but someone did their German homework a little better than in the past on the phrases he threw out. I enjoyed all of the issue, but it was fun seeing the set up for Kurt basically being the superstar (Errol Flynn/Roger Moore) of this world. It was an interesting fantasy come to life concept with all that it entails. It brings to mind the old adage: Be careful what you wish for, because you just might get it.

Dancing in the Shadows Indigo_Lady's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ricochet Rita View Post
    God bless fanservice

I truly believe that Kurt was the one who introduced explicit male sex appeal in Marvel comics. Probaly thanks to Cockrum himself.
    Cockrum said more than once on the Nightscrawler's forum that Kurt was his alter ego and he always envisioned himself as the romantic hero.

Darick Robertson, artist of Kurt's third solo series was a regular on the forum at the time and he was surprised at how large a female following Nightcrawler had. It was one of the reasons he drew Kurt in the shower and shirtless. I'm sure Alan Davis knew it too lol.