Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by CellarDweller View Post
    Darla was a shameless poser.

Quote Originally Posted by From The Shadows View Post
    I did these back in 1997. I think these look a bit stiff but my drawing has improved since then. I used a black felt-tip pen for the inks and Prismacolor markers for the colors.
    These are phenomenal, thanks for sharing! Especially love the look on the second one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fokken View Post
    Yer bonkers and you need a sandwich.

Astonishing Member CellarDweller's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dementia5 View Post

I never knew who Darla was, really. I always wondered if this version of "Jubilee" was a test run of sorts for the character.

I never knew who Darla was, really. I always wondered if this version of "Jubilee" was a test run of sorts for the character.
    Nope, they actually had no connection that I know of other than the name. Darla existed for about two seconds in the early 80's and was forgotten so quickly that I'm not sure Claremont even remembered that the name had been previously used when he introduced the real deal.

Long-time Jubester Fan jubilees_bf's Avatar

I just saw that Jubilee shows up in Dead Man Logan #3 from this past week... she seems to have her own office at the mansion... and when an emergency situation breaks out with Old Logan fighting the Avengers, Jubilee and Glob step in and confiscate Logan to avoid any more collateral damage. She doesn’t get any action scenes, but stands toe to toe with Captain America when they have words together.

My exact sentiments when Sefton showed up out of the blue wielding a sword and faux horns being all "I'm Magik! Lookamee everybody, I'M MAGIK!"
    Pffft

ACCEPT NO SUBSTITUTES GURL!
    (except, maybe KIND OF accept substitutes because the Illyana we have now is TECHNICALLY a magically crafted simulacrum who stole back the remaining soul bits to "be" Illyana blah blah whatever Sefton's a brother-fuxing poser)

My exact sentiments when Sefton showed up out of the blue wielding a sword and faux horns being all "I'm Magik! Lookamee everybody, I'M MAGIK!"
    Pffft

(except, maybe KIND OF accept substitutes because the Illyana we have now is TECHNICALLY a magically crafted simulacrum who stole back the remaining soul bits to "be" Illyana blah blah whatever Sefton's a brother-fuxing poser)

I never saw any of the history of Amanda as Magik, but when I heard about it, it made no sense to me.

Quote Originally Posted by jubilees_bf View Post
    I just saw that Jubilee shows up in Dead Man Logan #3 from this past week... she seems to have her own office at the mansion... and when an emergency situation breaks out with Old Logan fighting the Avengers, Jubilee and Glob step in and confiscate Logan to avoid any more collateral damage. She doesn’t get any action scenes, but stands toe to toe with Captain America when they have words together.
    Pics or it didn't happen!

Just kidding. I just love the idea of Jubilee staring down Captain America and the Avengers.

Extraordinary Member From The Shadows's Avatar

These are phenomenal, thanks for sharing! Especially love the look on the second one.
    You're too kind.

Quote Originally Posted by jubilees_bf View Post
    Yeah I just read that. Seems to indicate that she may have a significant role in the next issue as well.

Astonishing Member

So, as of Uncanny X-Men #11, it seems the person most likely to be on Jubilee's "Call in case of emergency" list is living in a sewer. Anyone else a little worried about Shogo?

Yeah, I pretty much called it. I guessed that he'd be stuck babysitting - and if not, that's the last we'll be seeing of the kid. Shogo is gone.
    Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Who? We didn't see Chamber, but he really should've been in the big fight there. And the rest of Generation X (both generations) are gone as well.

This could be just the excuse the writers need to eliminate Shogo. Adopted away while Jubes is believed dead.
    Champions #3 will have a reaction to the events of UXM #10 (they lost at least one member of the reinforcement roster - Honey Badger). I'd like to see West Coast Avengers do the same, since Quentin Quire is on that team.
    Last edited by Digifiend; 02-07-2019 at 07:53 PM.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Nope, they actually had no connection that I know of other than the name. Darla existed for about two seconds in the early 80's and was forgotten so quickly that I'm not sure Claremont even remembered that the name had been previously used when he introduced the real deal.
    I didn't explain myself correctly. I didn't think there was any connection between the Darla version of Jubilee and the real Jubilee. I was wondering if perhaps the Darla version of Jubes was to see how the readers reacted to the powers/abilities. Based on the brevity of her appearance, I'm sure you're correct on the memory of the Jubilee name being used. I did find the letter column from UXM #250, and one of the letters there had this quote regarding issue #244, which was Jubilee's first appearance:

"I don't think we'll miss much if we never see "M-Squad" again. The four stooges didn't leave that much of an impression in #240, and I'm still not impressed now that we've seen them in action. They don't even use long-life batteries in their equipment! Alright, so they could be dangerous, but their still a bunch of nutters! Jubilee, on the other hand, is a horse of a completely different color. She is the same darling we saw in the 1986 Annuals, isn't she? Her first appearance gave us a few hints of an intriguing new power. Now we know as much as she does about her capabilities. It makes a pleasant change to see a mutant without the firepower of a detachment of Marines at her fingertips. I can't wait to see more of this girl. I admire her style."

Extraordinary Member From The Shadows's Avatar

Pffft

Because Daytripper sounded dumb. Really dumb. People still speak of it like it's a good name. And I still don't understand. Looking forward to this AoX series despite my better judgement. Just waiting for my replacement card in the mail to purchase them and trying to stay away from spoilers.

To fans of our favorite mallrat, may those of us collecting back issues have a handy rec guide?
    Le Suck it, Dolphin!

-God I am so tired.

SCOTT SUMMERS AND EMMA FROST DESERVED BETTER.

I didn't explain myself correctly. I didn't think there was any connection between the Darla version of Jubilee and the real Jubilee. I was wondering if perhaps the Darla version of Jubes was to see how the readers reacted to the powers/abilities. Based on the brevity of her appearance, I'm sure you're correct on the memory of the Jubilee name being used. I did find the letter column from UXM #250, and one of the letters there had this quote regarding issue #244, which was Jubilee's first appearance:

"I don't think we'll miss much if we never see "M-Squad" again. The four stooges didn't leave that much of an impression in #240, and I'm still not impressed now that we've seen them in action. They don't even use long-life batteries in their equipment! Alright, so they could be dangerous, but their still a bunch of nutters! Jubilee, on the other hand, is a horse of a completely different color. She is the same darling we saw in the 1986 Annuals, isn't she? Her first appearance gave us a few hints of an intriguing new power. Now we know as much as she does about her capabilities. It makes a pleasant change to see a mutant without the firepower of a detachment of Marines at her fingertips. I can't wait to see more of this girl. I admire her style."
    Actually now that I think about it the similarities between the two characters’ introductory lines (in UXM #244 Jubes’ first line is “Actually, my name is Jubilee! 'Cause with me, every day's a celebration!") makes me suspect that Claremont did know about Ann Nocenti’s earlier character and decided to improve on the concept.

Quote Originally Posted by AJpyro View Post
    To fans of our favorite mallrat, may those of us collecting back issues have a handy rec guide?
    This page may be able to help you out.