Default MCU HULK! Was he damaged?

Who thinks the Hulk cannot be redeemed in the MCU? Who thinks Kevin Keige should do a Hulk movie to explain why Hulk ran away from Thanos? Does Feige want to replace Bruce Banner with Hulking from the comics?

Extraordinary Member

Feige doesn't have the rights to use Hulk in a solo movie (or more specifically, Disney would have to agree to let Universal distribute it, and they're never going to agree to that) so he's treated the Hulk more as a sidekick supporting character, which causes him to be more of a comedy character than he is when he's in his own stories. He's more like the Defenders Hulk than the Hulk from his own movies, comics, and TV show.

I think it was anticlimactic to use Infinity War to set up his inner conflict and then in Endgame just have him fix all that offscreen. This is a problem I have with MCU movies in general, but it seems like it hits the Hulk more often because he doesn't have his own movies, so every time he appears in a movie he's whatever that particular movie needs him to be: in love with Black Widow; talking; merged with Banner... next time we see him, who knows what exciting new things will have happened to him that we never actually got to see?

In the comics, Hulk/Banner occasionally had relative stable periods where he was in control or thought he was in control. Only for it to all end pretty badly (The worst being the heroic Banner Hulk from the mid 80's turning into one of the most mindless, destructive Hulks).

So it's possible that the "Professor Hulk" could be undone in a similar way.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Astonishing Member

Is it fixable yes

Is it badly broken very much yes

Will they fix it

Probably not

Imo

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by jackolover View Post
    Who thinks the Hulk cannot be redeemed in the MCU? Who thinks Kevin Keige should do a Hulk movie to explain why Hulk ran away from Thanos? Does Feige want to replace Bruce Banner with Hulking from the comics?
    Answering all in order.
    No he doesn't need to be redeemed.
    No, they can't even release a Hulk movie if they wanted to.
    The last one doesn't even make sense, Hulkling's whole thing is being a Skrull/Kree hybrid, outside of the name the two have literally nothing to do with each other.

BANNED

hulk didn't run from thanos, he just didn't want to be used as a tool by banner. That's why he didn't turn until after bruce faceplanted himself in ragnarok

i don't think he's going to be replaced with hulkling. She-hulk maybe.

Also, hulk is an aspect of bruce, just an alternate personality. In endgame we see a fused version, that snapped the gauntlet and revived half the universe.

Quote Originally Posted by Ichijinijisanji View Post
    hulk didn't run from thanos, he just didn't want to be used as a tool by banner. That's why he didn't turn until after bruce faceplanted himself in ragnarok

i don't think he's going to be replaced with hulkling. She-hulk maybe.

Also, hulk is an aspect of bruce, just an alternate personality. In endgame we see a fused version, that snapped the gauntlet and revived half the universe.
    None of that makes sense. Hulk ran away from Infinity like a scared little kid. It was embarrassing. The Hulk I know wouldn’t have done that. I couldn’t recognise the Hulk of Infinity in the MCU.

BANNED

HULK SMASH THIS THREAD!!!!
    Kidding!

BANNED

None of that makes sense. Hulk ran away from Infinity like a scared little kid. It was embarrassing. The Hulk I know wouldn’t have done that. I couldn’t recognise the Hulk of Infinity in the MCU.
    Except that isn't what happened.

I'm not sure if the Endgame Hulk is really merged. He doesn't seem to have that much rage at all-when he shows up in 2012, for example, he only "smashes" weakly to keep up appearances and is embarrassed by his past self. We see him fling the table but that's mainly because of his grief at Natasha's death.

So it's possible the Savage Hulk persona is still in there, just submerged somehow.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

BANNED

that is a fair interpretation

I do blame the writers and directors for not being clearer in the movie, but I only conveyed their intent behind hulk/banner in IW as they've reported in interviews, if at all it would ease the discomfort of your interpretation of hulk being cowardly
    Last edited by Ichijinijisanji; 12-25-2019 at 09:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Skullkid View Post
    Answering all in order.
    No he doesn't need to be redeemed.
    No, they can't even release a Hulk movie if they wanted to.
    The last one doesn't even make sense, Hulkling's whole thing is being a Skrull/Kree hybrid, outside of the name the two have literally nothing to do with each other.
    All this.

If someone thinks Hulk needed to be redeemed after Infinity War, he got it when he brought back half of all life in the universe. He saved more people than anyone in history, every single planet with sentient life should have a giant statue of him in their cities, and if that isn't redemption enough for you then that seems more like a "you" problem than a real problem. Seriously. Half of all life. And y'all are still salty that he didn't want to get into another fight with a dude who had kicked his ass once already?

Did Hulk screw up in Infinity War? Sure. So did everyone else. But whether Hulk didn't want to be used as Banner's tool anymore or was simply afraid of getting killed after his first real loss in a fight, his sins aren't any worse than Tony's, Steve's, or Thor's.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    All this.

If someone thinks Hulk needed to be redeemed after Infinity War, he got it when he brought back half of all life in the universe. He saved more people than anyone in history, every single planet with sentient life should have a giant statue of him in their cities, and if that isn't redemption enough for you then that seems more like a "you" problem than a real problem. Seriously. Half of all life. And y'all are still salty that he didn't want to get into another fight with a dude who had kicked his ass once already?

Hulk has never been a favorite character of mine, but I greatly enjoyed his arc. Throughout all the films, Banner, the prime personality, always sought to do the right thing. He really stepped up during Endgame. Hulk helped saved the day without smashing. MCU Hulk is a true hero.

Extraordinary Member

I don't think Banner/Hulk's heroic feat in "Endgame" really makes up for the lack of payoff with Thanos. We know he's a hero, but if Part 1 made such a big deal of Thanos being able to beat the Hulk, and Hulk not wanting to "come out" again, then it created the expectation that this would pay off somehow. And it did... offscreen.

The filmmakers have said they were originally going to do the merged Hulk thing in "Infinity War" and that would have been the payoff - but they still had all that setup in the movie. Another example is how they spent a whole movie setting up the idea that the Vision could be rebuilt and then Part 2 never even mentions his existence; probably they moved that plot point to Disney+, but it's unsatisfying to fans of the character who thought they were setting up something that was going to be addressed in the two-part story itself.