Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I think the thing that might complicate things is whether they bring the Young Avengers back, so they'll have to figure out a way to balance that team with the Champions.

Granted, pretty much all the Young Avengers are in their 20's now (aside from Cassie), so they're not a teen team, but for a time they were meant to be Marvel's premier teen Superhero team and that might be what they end up being in the movies.
    Movies will almost certainly merge the two. Don't be surprised if WandaVision uses Viv instead of Speed. Ms Marvel would be on the team as well.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

All-New Member

Hey everyone... new here. I'm really kinda looking for recommendations but the recommendations thread seems like it doesn't get posted in as much, and I really want Wasp fan recommendations. Basically, currently the books I'm reading are Champions, Ms. Marvel, Miles Morales, Unstoppable Wasp (see the connection...?), Squirrel Girl, X-23, and I would be reading other X-books but outside of some of the most recent astonishing X-Men and X-Men Red... that all is pretty rough. But I love love love Unstoppable Wasp. Honestly one of my favorite series in forever. Just found it this month really from word of mouth/review alone (never been into ant-man or wasp stuff in the past) and I'm sad that it's being cancelled. She's a great character and I find it genuinely funny and heartwarming with great and rich character development. I guess I'm really leaning into new and young characters, so I've been thinking of something like Young Avengers/New Avengers? I don't know where to start with that or if there are other one-off or old runs of anything in this vein that you think I might like, but I'd appreciate any recommendations!

Hold your machete tight! Personamanx's Avatar

You'd probably like Runaways, and Moon Girl and Devil Dinosaur.
    Continuity, even in a "shared" comics universe is often insignificant if not largely detrimental to the quality of a comic.

Immortal X-Men - Once & Future- X-Cellent - X-Men: Red

Nobody cares about what you don't like, they barely care about what you do like.

All-New Member

Thanks! I did enjoy Moon Girl's appearance in Wasp. And I have seen the Runaways show but have been on the fence about the show. Both seasons I start out being like "this rules" and somewhere around the middle I want to throttle the characters/writers. I will check em both out!

Quote Originally Posted by Geogeo999 View Post
    Hey everyone... new here. I'm really kinda looking for recommendations but the recommendations thread seems like it doesn't get posted in as much, and I really want Wasp fan recommendations. Basically, currently the books I'm reading are Champions, Ms. Marvel, Miles Morales, Unstoppable Wasp (see the connection...?), Squirrel Girl, X-23, and I would be reading other X-books but outside of some of the most recent astonishing X-Men and X-Men Red... that all is pretty rough. But I love love love Unstoppable Wasp. Honestly one of my favorite series in forever. Just found it this month really from word of mouth/review alone (never been into ant-man or wasp stuff in the past) and I'm sad that it's being cancelled. She's a great character and I find it genuinely funny and heartwarming with great and rich character development. I guess I'm really leaning into new and young characters, so I've been thinking of something like Young Avengers/New Avengers? I don't know where to start with that or if there are other one-off or old runs of anything in this vein that you think I might like, but I'd appreciate any recommendations!
    The book you’ll want to check out is Future Foundation which debuts in August I think. It’s by Unstoppable Wasp’s writer and focuses a lot on teen characters up in space. Closely tied with the Fantastic Four. Based on what you wrote, it seems like this man got be a good fit, and you have the opportunity to get in on the ground floor.
    “The Avengers have been the one point of stability in my entire life. And if The Avengers call… then The Scarlet Witch will always answer.”

The Marvel Rising minis are ok, but not amazing.

The Power Pack minis from 2005-2010 feature Gurihiru's art and are a good time.

The Unbelievable Gwenpool also has Guirihiru art and goes to some really interesting places.

West Coast Avengers was really amusing and unique, and I'll reiterate the the Runaways are likely up your alley. It's not too big a project to read through the various volumes and the current series is fantastic as it builds on them.

Spider-Man and the X-Men is also a very fun miniseries.

Thanks! I did enjoy Moon Girl's appearance in Wasp. And I have seen the Runaways show but have been on the fence about the show. Both seasons I start out being like "this rules" and somewhere around the middle I want to throttle the characters/writers. I will check em both out!
    The show, and the comics are fairly different animals. While I enjoy the show as it relies significantly less on superhero tropes/archetypes the plot is radically different. The kid's personalities are roughly the same albeit adjusted for the times, and the parents for the most part never had much page time in the comics. I enjoy them both, but it's easy to like one without liking the other and with your comics tastes I would give the original series/current series a shot.

Also, the new Future Foundation series in August should be up your alley with Jeremy Whitley writing it.
    Continuity, even in a "shared" comics universe is often insignificant if not largely detrimental to the quality of a comic.

Nobody cares about what you don't like, they barely care about what you do like.

All-New Member

Thanks everyone! Now I have a lot to consider, but I have started on Runaways now Starts well. Definitely sold on Whitley, so I look forward to Future Foundation (though Ive never read or watched any Fantastic Four stuff.) Moongirl's now on the list, and I am intrigued by West Coast Avengers. I will give Gwenpool a shot and Hawkeye (Fraction) which I've been meaning to get into and if I like Kate Bishop and Gwenpool as characters I'll eventually get to West Coast Avengers! Also I'm interested in America Chavez as a character so I'm pretty down for this haha.

Don't read America's solo. Read Young Avengers (2013) and Ultimates (2015) instead.
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Don't read America's solo. Read Young Avengers (2013) and Ultimates (2015) instead.
    Agreed. As a fan of the character I don't recommend you reading her limited series. The writer didn't know anything about the character and showed no interest in learning about her. All the other recommendations that other users have given to you, I agree with them, but if you want to take an interest in America, don't pick her solo.

Whitley interview:
    https://www.newsarama.com/45464-jere...rinceless.html

He's after Rainbow Rowell's job, lol.

Somebody get this man a young avengers book stat!
    “The Avengers have been the one point of stability in my entire life. And if The Avengers call… then The Scarlet Witch will always answer.”

He listed quite a few characters, including the YAs and Runaways... but not Nadia's team, the Champions, which is actually kind of odd, considering he has in fact written them before (the Monsters Unleashed tie-in).

First issue of Whitley's Rainbow Brite is out for free.
    https://www.newsarama.com/45659-full...w-brite-1.html