Page 2 of 106 FirstFirst 1234561252102 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

I'm worried for Loki. This is the first bit we have seen of him for WOTR. What's he doing behind the scenes?

Asgardians of the Space Zone #5 was the 26th best-selling issue on Comixology this week, right next to Black Panther. Since we were talking about sales recently.
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

So I have been moving the past week, so i haven't had time to just sit down and read this thread or comics or pretty much anything. But I have a few minutes before i tear down my computer before moving it to the new place, so here we go.

Squirrel Girl sounds fun!

and the Thor tie-in, or at least the cover, would make me worry for Loki, but we know from previous buildup to this event that Loki s not exactly enthused for the War of the Realms and the damage it will cause the Earth, so I think that cover is kind of deceptive. the Squirrel Girl interview also kinda backs this up, since I don't think Doreen would be doing a mission for Loki if he was up to something bad. Of all the Marvel characters, her moral compass is one of the best. North also said Loki was 'trying' even if he slipped up sometimes. So I think his intentions in all this are still good, they just don't want to spoil that up front too much, since his actions and allegiances have been a bit murky in the leadup. Will be interesting to see what they do with his relationship with Laufey, tho. Seems to me this is the issue where all the teases finally start to get resolved, and we see why Loki wanted to keep him alive despite hating him, what information he was trying to get out of him, or whatever.

The cover that does worry me is the Asgardians of the Galaxy cover, just because, well, since why isn't he on it and all the rest are? hm.

Extraordinary Member

Yeah, the Squirrel Girl stuff looks fun. Doreen and her cast are going to make their book very interesting, especially given how big the attack force will be.

One interesting thing is that I'm wondering if the Wolverine involved is 616 Wolverine, who appears to be involved with AOX. Which might confirm that Loki isn't working with 616 Logan.

Also, I am pumped for Logan and Loki vs Darkhawk!

By the way, speaking of wild guesses, the solicit for issue 2 of WotR mentions Black Panther, Jane Foster and Doctor Strange making a desperate gamble. It could be anything, but considering who was mentioned... I'm not so sure about Jane, but the other two are probably some of the more likely candidates to make the gamble of trusting Loki.

Extraordinary Member

We know that BP was eyeing him for a spot as one of his agents, while Strange has trusted Loki in the past. And Jane has always had some faith in him restored.

Also, I was really worried at the end of Guardians of the Galaxy today when I saw the Asgardian font. But thankfully it wasn't Loki!

I kinda hope that if Loki and Doreen do end up becoming friends, so he is friends with both her and Nancy, he may join their li'l band of Scoobies, become their Spike, I guess. so he'll show up more often, like her other friends, Koi Boi, Chipmunk Hunk etc. I mean, he will need something to occupy his time after War of the Realms, right? Maybe Ratatoskr can make a comeback as previously teased. But brom the interview and solicit, I do get the impression he may be using her, cus that's just what he does, so that may hamper that.

The desperate gamble was followed by 'Valhalla awaits' so I dunno, it may just be that they are going to pull a stunt similar to what Thor did in Hel, dying but not really kinda thing. Of course, Loki was a part of Thor's plan there, so...

So a couple interesting things in Asgardians of the Galaxy today in regards to Loki. First off, they didn't make actually finding Sera a story at all, it was just Loki snapping his fingers and *poof* there she is, though (and this is more to do with Angela than Loki, but still, while I'm on the topic) it seems she was just hanging out with Yondu and didn't come looking for Angela at all, and one of the mercenaries she was with referred to Angela as Sera's 'ex'. So it feels to me like Sera is kind of over Angela, but not the other way around, though she did greet Angela warmly. A little sad if that's the case, even if i did find her incredibly grating in Queen of Hel (but not here, I think she's fine here) but then, I kinda hated the entire run of that... anyway, so yeah, Loki just.... teleported them all to Sera, just like that, but it seemed to really drain him. And no one thanked him, (though a couple showed concern) and they kinda played up him being upset about that. It felt as though he felt unappreciated when he did good and kept his word. It was mostly in the art, just a lot of shots of him moping in the background, but he did say something odd, in all that. He said to Annabelle, when she asked if he was ok, that he was "becoming painfully aware of what becomes of a soul when it is no longer of use." This could be interpreted as him simply thinking that without a debt making it necessary for Angela to keep him around, they may just opt to ditch him. (and the upcoming cover for issue 8 seems to support this...) but the wording was kind of odd. Why use the word 'soul' there, for instance? I'm kinda thinking that may have been a hint as to his true nature, and possibly why he took the form of Kid Loki. What if Loki, knowing some terrible things would need to be done in the whole War of the Realms mess, separated his soul, or at least the part that seems to have given him his newfound morality of late, out into "Kid Loki" here? What if this is his separated soul wondering if Loki Prime has use of him any more? Also, it does reveal that this Loki does have some limits to his power, and is not just a walking deus ex machina as i was fearing, even if his power levels are quite high, since the port to Ego did drain him considerably, and he did seem completely exhausted afterward and wasn't even able to maintain a simple illusion to hide some fleeing refugees for more than a minute or so. We will have to see if he recovers, but if not, it may be that Loki simply gave this projection/soul or whatever he is a finite store of power to use up, and once it's gone, that's it. Remains to be seen if when the power is gone, he goes too.

Extraordinary Member

He didn't look mopey to me. He looked sick. He even says that he doesn't feel much like himself, which is something someone normally says when they're sick or not feeling well.

So yeah, I'm in on this theory that he's sort of exhausting his own life force.

He is missing from the covers...

So yeah, I think it's confirmed that the Logan Loki is hanging out with might not be our Logan. 616 Logan has no cosmic powers and has some memory issues.

I can't wait for War of the Realms so we can have Loki stuff to talk about!

I think the Logan from that Infinity thing and the Avengers rescue from the Celestials is probably from the future. I'm thinking it's either that when he 'died' in Thor, he really traveled back in time, in order to prevent the bad future before it can happen, but that doesn't really explain why he doesn't look super old any more. So it may also be that he's from the future, but not as far in the future as the King Thor stuff is set. Of course, King Thor is thousands of years off, so that doesn't really narrow it down a whole lot, and would create a sort of paradox. I kinda lean towards the time traveled when he 'died' scenario, and he's just using the Phoenix Force to look younger for reasons.

And yeah Loki was definitely feeling bad, physically, but I also think there was some moping going on, like his little 'no need to thank me' gripe and stuff. either way though, yeah I think "Kid Loki" has not much time left, but my hope is that he can transfer his memories and such back into his Prime body/mind before he goes, so that he can get something from it, sort of like what happened with the time displaced X-Men. I also hope that, in that scenario, even if he takes a break for War of the Realms, he goes back to the team, though in his regular adult body, after it is done, and it's shown that they want or at least accept him being there without a debt forcing the issue.
    Last edited by Raye; 02-06-2019 at 11:41 PM.

Extraordinary Member

My problem with Asgardians of the Galaxy is just how directionless the book feels. Bunn obviously is having his fun and it's a great book, but I'm not seeing the point.

I think the point is just to tell some fun stories with some under utilized characters who either would not be able to support a solo book at all, or are kind of between books. I think Loki and Angela are the only ones who could carry a solo at all, and even there, it would probably be a low selling one in either case, unfortunately, judging by their past books. But put them together with a few others and it may be able to consolidate the audiences. Didn't seem to draw in a ton of readers though, unless it's huge in digital, but it was worth a shot. I don't think books necessarily have to have a 'point' to them, or be building to something big. Most of the time it's just telling stories that are fun and make good use of the characters involved, though they may have something to say beyond that, and i wouldn't really complain if it had something more to say, but sometimes fun is enough.

*that being said, I think Sif could have drawn in some readers, though she wouldn't have fit well with team theme of second chances and/or proving yourself when others underestimate you. But from a purely reader-grabbing perspective, i think she has a lot more draw than like, Skurge or Throg. And hiding Loki's presence for the first few issues probably didn't help on that front, even if i was pretty sure right from the first announcement that it was probably him in the Destroyer, not everyone would have thought that.
    Last edited by Raye; 02-07-2019 at 12:05 AM.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Raye View Post
    I think the point is just to tell some fun stories with some under utilized characters who either would not be able to support a solo book at all, or are kind of between books. I think Loki and Angela are the only ones who could carry a solo at all, and even there, it would probably be a low selling one in either case, unfortunately, judging by their past books. But put them together with a few others and it may be able to consolidate the audiences. Didn't seem to draw in a ton of readers though, unless it's huge in digital, but it was worth a shot. I don't think books necessarily have to have a 'point' to them, or be building to something big. Most of the time it's just telling stories that are fun and make good use of the characters involved, though they may have something to say beyond that, and i wouldn't really complain if it had something more to say, but sometimes fun is enough.

*that being said, I think Sif could have drawn in some readers, though she wouldn't have fit well with team theme of second chances and/or proving yourself when others underestimate you. But from a purely reader-grabbing perspective, i think she has a lot more draw than like, Skurge or Throg. And hiding Loki's presence for the first few issues probably didn't help on that front, even if i was pretty sure right from the first announcement that it was probably him in the Destroyer, not everyone would have thought that.
    I just think most books do well to have an underlying plot. I'm not feeling that here.

Of course, it's still a great book and Bunn knows how to use these characters.

I'm not sure Sif is really anymore of a draw anymore. Well, she's definitely more of a draw than those two lol

So, are there any Loki moments everyone is looking forward to in War of the Realms?

Dammit, I had this all typed out then lost power for a few seconds, and all gone, and no 'restore content' option, ugh. Well, here we go again...

Well, the first arc was tied into the Infinity stuff and was the team coming together due to those events, so there wasn't a lot to how they came together that bound them together thematically. But now that the horn has been found, and Sera was found in like, 1 issue, they will need a new reason to stay together, since the starting plot based reason has been resolved. And I think that's what we are getting into with the second arc, and have gotten into a bit already. But as I mentioned, there is already a theme to the team members, in that they are all in need of a chance to prove their worth, (aside from kinda Valkyrie, because she shares a body with Annabelle) and that has even been a plot point at times. Loki and Skurge are both ex villains who are trying to turn over a new leaf, and need a chance to be able to prove they are genuine in their desire to change. Angela needs a chance to prove she can be accepted as an Asgardian, after being raised by the angels, and needs a second chance after the whole kidnapping incident. Annabelle needs to prove she's not the frail damsel who can't defend herself, in need of constant protection from her stronger half. (and Loki gave her that chance last issue, though it is debatable how well she would have fared without the Nova helmet) Throg is a damn frog, and is not taken seriously as a result, despite having tremendous power and the mind of a man in that amphibious body. Thunderstrike has to prove he's worthy to take up his father's mantle, and as we saw in his flashback, people don't generally tend to think very highly of him right now. And the new recruit, the dwarf, who has a second chance after siding with Nebula (albeit, under duress). So I'd say that though it hasn't been explored a lot so far, the theme is proving your worth, and that everyone should get the chance to do so. Also maybe a side of doing what's needed, or doing your best, even if others don't think you're capable. That other people's opinions don't dictate your worth. And I am guessing it will delve more into this in the second arc onward, assuming it isn't cancelled after the second arc.

In War of the Realms, I'd like to see the teases and hints about Laufey and Loki, and whether Loki is really his son solidly resolved. I'd also like to see Loki backstab Malekith in a spectacular fashion.

And i was browsing Youtube, and came across this bit of interesting speculation:

It made me go hmmm... very interesting possibilities. Also, it mentioned something i had missed previously. You know the speculation that was going around to explain Loki's full on heel turn in Avengers was that he was himself being controlled by the Mind Gem, and that the 'puny god' beatdown snapped him out of it? apparently that's been confirmed! looked into it, and it seems that on the official websites, it mentions that he was in fact under control of the Mind Gem during Avengers. So that's good to know, but i do wish it was actually mentioned IN THE MOVIES. But maybe it will be in one of the flashback scenes they were filming for the next movie, there were set photos of Hiddleston in his Avengers costume, so there is definitely a flashback involving him.

Extraordinary Member

On the War of the Realms thread, someone said that Infinity Watch takes place AFTER WotR and before Uncanny X-Men #11. So...yeah, this whole timeline is weird and **** if anyone knows how to make sense out of it.