Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Quote Originally Posted by Rosebunse View Post
    Yeah, you can retcon that guy as being Loki or Loki's father...

I guess my thing about the father thing is that whatever happens, Laufey has to be left thinking that he's the father. He wouldn't have left Loki alive if he wasn't. Of course, it could also mean his adoptive father, Odin, who might be his real father...

Look, I know we have gone over this before, but I think between Aaron's own words and what we've seen, I think finding out he isn't related to Laufey would mean a lot to Loki no matter who it is. And it would ultimately explain why he is so different. I don't know, I just think about this a lot at work. My work is boring...Well, mostly I was thinking about Game of Thrones today, but you know how that is.
    I don't disagree that finding out he is not Laufey's would be a big deal, I just think that if you are going to do that, the reveal of his true father should also be impactful on his life, which is why I kept coming back to Odin, or someone else in the royal family, because of how much he desires to be accepted by them. Depending on how that goes, it could make him feel all the more rejected if Odin knows and never told him, or it could make Odin accept him more if Odin wasn't aware, either way it has an impact on his life. Someone random he's never heard of before lacks that. But, this wizard, that could work too, in a more tragic way, because of the connection they share due to him teaching Loki magic, and then Loki murdered him. It would provide much angst. Not that Loki really needs more angst, i guess. He's already a big ball of angst right now.

ps. team Jon all the way.

I'm feeling you on the time travel. It's been such a huge concept for this story and you know Loki could just wish himself there. That being said, we haven't actually seen how Loki's unique form of resurrection works, so the "new" Loki relearning from the old one's mistakes does make some bit of sense. But time travel isn't out of line. If it isn't Loki, who else could have cast the spell? Odin? Old Loki?

Dammit, Raye, I think you just spoiled the ending here with that theory.
    I dunno, a lot of gaps in there that we just don't have the information to fill, so it could go way different, but right now, i think that makes sense... I just wish i could figure out what Thor's part in this is if he's not becoming worthy again. I always just kind of assumed this was the big 'make Thor worthy again' event, but apparently not! and for now he's just a frost giant blender in Jotunheim...

Loki not being a villain has certainly created something of a vacuum among Marvel's villains. Doesn't help that other villains like Magneto, Norman Osborn, and to a lesser extent, Thanos, are out of commission or not villains either. It's created this situation where they have to use ones like Malekith, Dracula and now Nightmare to get anywhere.
    I think Loki alone doesn't leave a huge vacuum, Loki's particular brand of villainy can be covered by a number of other characters, revamped Malekith is basically an eviler version of old school Loki with no remorse, but there's also Enchantress or Cul (if he turns heel again in Thor 13) who can fill his shoes depending on which aspect you wanted to focus on, the sorcery/trickery or the Asgard royal family treachery. But Marvel did face turn or kill a whole lot of their biggest bads all at once, which did leave a vacuum. I think it led to showcasing some under utilized villains, like Malekith, as you mentioned, and creating interesting new ones, like Gorr, so i didn't have a problem with it, and I would have liked to see more of Doom etc. doing different things as well, because I don't like seeing the same thing over and over, it gets boring. I mean that's part of why the original Acts of Vengeance was fun, it didn't change the characterizations, but even just mixing up the usual pairings created new situations.

I can sort of see the logic of reverting some of them, because they had cleared the decks of villains quite a lot, and recurring villains can be interesting sometimes if they have enough of a connection. I guess it probably just came down to them deciding which version they (writer or editorial, or both, whichever) found more interesting, and villain won for most of them. Which speaks well of how Loki has been handled since his turn, if that's the case. And while I'm glad Marvel seems to have made Loki an exception to them turning everyone heel again, because I like him this way, I feel kinda bad for the fans who also wanted to follow a face turned Doom or Sabretooth etc. those face turns had fans too. And I think we missed an opportunity to create some new villains or push some under-used ones in interesting ways, because now it will just be FF fight Doom again, Wolverine fights Sabretooth again, instead of seeing something different.

I've never bought the argument most frequently brought up when it comes to keeping a character at a certain status quo basically forever, that maintaining the status quo ensures future generations can enjoy the classic characterizations, that every batch of new readers deserves to see the characters at their most iconic. I don't like the attitude that comes across with that line of thinking that old is always better. And especially nowadays, because collections are so easy to come by. If you want to read classic Loki, go get a collection of Simonson's run, it's not hard to get ahold of, especially with digital, it's not like we have to go searching thru back issue boxes any more. I think it would be nice if Marvel made like 'essential reading' checklists in the back of their comics for seeing how a character has been depicted over the years, especially ones that have had a lot of change over time.

so I did dust off the Sims like i said i would, and when I loaded up the game (it's been months, I've been playing AC: Odyssey, I don't remember what's going on) and it was on Roz when I loaded it up, probably I had just finished reviving her after her tragic cow plant demise, and moved her into her own place. so was finishing up a few things with her before going to make Blade and kill the Lokis (still gotta kill "Kid Loki" too), and she went over to Thor's boat and came upon the most bizarre scene. Loki was dressed in a shady disguise getup, Balder was dressed as a hot dog and Thor had some pie or something all over his face. like wtf. i guess they had just had a party or something. Oh and the case she was investigating (she's a PI) was Tyr taking bribes to throw sports games, which led to all 3 brothers talking smack about Tyr. Never stop being weird, Sims.

https://steamcommunity.com/id/RayeGu...94366431322364

Anyway, i did make Blade and gave him a lil basement room at the Avengers place, but I think that's it for tonight, will kill the Lokis tomorrow.
    Last edited by Raye; 04-12-2019 at 09:33 PM.