Page 1 of 30 1234511 ... LastLast

Default The Master of Kung Fu - Shang Chi Appreciation 2019

Hi all. Just wanted to start this thread in appreciation of Marvel's master of Kung Fu, Shang-Chi. Here, fans can talk about everything related to the man who's name means the advancing and rising of the spirit!

"I am a man of peace."

"A man of peace...who fights like ten tigers."

Just wanted to share one of my favorite Shang-Chi stories, Avenger World #3. This is my go-to Shang-Chi story whenever I need a pick-me up:

Always fun to see Shang just lay in a couple of shots to the Gorgon:
    "I am a man of peace."

One of my favorite old school images of Shang (Been reading the old series on Comixology. There are some anachronisms here and there, but overall, great stuff!)

Shang makes spinning nunchukus just so cool!

"I am a man of peace."

A list of the top ten fighters in the Marvel Universe. Guess who's at number one?

"I am a man of peace."

Just saw this really cool interview between Xavier Woods and Daniel Pesina on UpUpDownDown. For those who don't know, Daniel Pesina was the actor who played Johnny Cage, Scorpion, Sub-Zero, and a whole host of others in the Mortal Kombat game. Turns out he was a huge fan of Shang-Chi! AND Shang-Chi was the inspiration for Liu Kang's redesign in MKII!

Check it out!
    "I am a man of peace."

BANNED

Talking Happy Birthday Keith Pollard!!!

Master of Kung Fu Annual #1 (1976)

This issue has Iron Fist teaming up with Shang-Chi, son of Fu Manchu, on an adventure to another dimension.
    This one shot comic was part martial arts fight-fest, part sword and sorcery epic.
    That’s right, kung fu and magic:

This double-size comic was written by Doug Moench

with artwork by Keith Pollard.
    http://greatlakescomicconvention.com/pollard.html
    https://comicvine.gamespot.com/keith-pollard/4040-4300/

So glad to see this thread back. I love Shang Chi!

is Shang throwing a fireball like Ryu? needs to be a console video game with him as a character.
    Last edited by Hypestyle; 01-31-2019 at 04:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    is Shang throwing a fireball like Ryu? needs to be a console video game with him as a character.
    I believe that Shang is using his gauntlet. Earlier in that issue, Shang mentioned how he had new weapons that enhanced his strengths. Those gauntlets probably just added a bit more energy into his strikes.
    "I am a man of peace."

Hey all. Just a couple of thoughts:

So, as many of us know, there's a Shang-Chi movie in the works:

https://www.ign.com/articles/2018/12...tist-superhero

There is a ton of controversy surrounding it as well:

https://www.scmp.com/news/china/soci...perhero-origin

I've talked about the uphill battle that a Shang-Chi movie faces in the past. He is closely associated with the Yellow Peril/Orientalism in terms of Fu Manchu. The Kung Fu craze of the 1970s has died down considerably. Not many people (whether in America, China, or other places) cares that much about Kung Fu anymore. Chinese doing Kung Fu is seen at best as being either passe or at worst being stereotypical. Unlike Black Panther who had writers like Christopher Priest or Reginald Hudlin give that modern update, powerful stories for a new age, and sense of character, there hasn't been anyone who has given that type of treatment to Shang. For me, I think of the Chinese audience. It's my fear that Chinese will look at Shang and see him as being pretty odd. The way he talks, looks, and acts (especially back in those older MOKF issues) is not authentic at all. Heck, his name doesn't make sense in Chinese. Thus, in China, audiences won't see him as being Chinese. Instead, they'll see him as being an American creation, no more Chinese than Captain America.

So yeah, a Shang Chi movie has a huge mountain to climb....but you know what.......................Shang could do it.

Creators of Shang have to do a couple of things to make the movie work. First, Shang's character has to be front and center. Yes, he's centered and philosophical, but that doesn't mean he's out there and talking fortune cookieisms. As I've said before, the best Buddhist and Daoist monks and priests are really down to earth and normal. Thus, Shang is down to earth and normal. I see him as being confident, able to laugh, and have a good conversation with people. Don't dress him up in that gaudy Kung Fu outfit from the 70s. Have him wear normal clothes and do normal things. Get someone who is familiar with Chinese and Chinese-American culture and infuse those elements into this film. Have Shang comfortable walking the streets of Beijing, Hong Kong, NYC Chinatown, San Francisco, etc. And show that Shang can be romantic, can be in a relationship, that Asian men can be objects of affection and love. (Hence why I secretly hope that Leiko Wu shows up in this film).

Secondly, Chinese Kung Fu culture is very deep. If Shang is the master of Kung Fu, he has to show REAL Kung Fu. I want to see him switch between Northern and Southern styles, from external to interal arts, from Changquan to Hung Gar to Xing Yi to Choy Li Fut to Taiji Quan to Wing Chun to beyond seamlessly. Furthermore, I want to see him have those moments in Kung Fu that aren't all about fighting. Sharing laughs with your Kung Fu brothers after a hard day of training. Watching your sifu get a little tipsy on baijiu during the Chinese New Year banquet. Taking in the view of the mountain scenery after finishing a Kung Fu form. All of that is Kung Fu. And I guarantee you, Shang has had a ton of those moments. Moments like this:

Finally, this is a Marvel movie set in the MCU. That can be the movie's strength. Have Shang face Captain America, Black Panther, the Winter Soldier, Spider-Man, etc. Show his interactions with them, may they be fights or discussions on how to deal with Thanos. Show that he's not only firmly established among these characters, but also highly respected among them as well.

Yeah, sorry if this was a little incoherent. I feel that a Shang-Chi movie faces a ton of challenges. But I also feel that Shang can overcome these challenges.
    "I am a man of peace."

In the beginning . . .

from Special Marvel Edition #15 (December 1973)

Astonishing Member your_name_here's Avatar

I actually know very little about Shang Chi. I’ve only read his appearances in more modern comics. Secret Avengers by Brubaker and the Avengers World story where he go up against The Gorgon (which was great)

Any essential reading for Shang Chi so I can really get into his character?

And if there was to be a comic now with him as the lead, what could be done to make him an A player?

Quote Originally Posted by your_name_here View Post
    Any essential reading for Shang Chi so I can really get into his character?
    Well, last year Marvel put out

Master of Kung Fu Epic Collection #1 - Weapon of the Soul
    https://www.amazon.com/Master-Kung-F...y_1_1302901354

And it looks like a second book that will continue reprinting the original series is suppose to come out later this year.

Some Shang-Chi covers from Deadly Hands of Kung Fu b&w magazine back in the '70s:

Some past Marvel Handbook entries:

from
    The Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe Deluxe Edition Vol. 2 No. 11
    (October 1986)

from
    Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe Master Edition Vol. 1 No. 8
    (July 1991)