Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Loki Appreciation 2019

Oh, looks like it's time to start a new version of the thread for our favorite god of mischief magic and mayhem....

I mean, does anyone really read this first post? We all know who Loki is and what he's up to, yeah? We all know he's one of Marvel's top (ex)villains who is currently in the midst of a long running face turn? Okay then. So here's a link to the last page of the previous thread so we can continue on with the discussion:

https://community.cbr.com/showthread...n-2018/page303
    Last edited by Raye; 01-03-2019 at 01:21 PM.

Okay. so he wasn't in Marvel Knights, but a surprise twist ending makes my speculation about Black Panther still plausible for the final issue. spoilers:
    so it looks like T'Challa was tasked with protecting the machine that caused the memory/perception alteration, but it was stolen... By Punisher, Hulk, Elektra and Daredevil. They CAUSED the whole mess in the first place. So now T'Challa has to fight them, and he could probably use an ally that also remembers what happened before...)
    end of spoilers

He was also in Infinity Watch: Infinity (.... really?) but it was just leadin to the Wolverine thing. though i was a bit surprised and confused to see it was Phoenix Wolverine from the future that came for Loki, I had assumed it would be Wolverine in the present.
    Last edited by Raye; 01-03-2019 at 12:17 AM.

Attention, Marvelites! True hero and sweet baby Loki has been kidnapped by a hairy cosmic Canadian! To save #BestGod, he'll need your credit card number, the three numbers on the back, and the expiration month and year. Hurry, it’s not long before he gets drowned in beer!
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Loki. I forgot when was the first time I saw or heard about him. I think he, like Thor, is just a character you just know what he looks like from pop culture osmosis, and I don't mean Tom Hiddleston. I already know about his classic old trickster look long before MCU.

Loki_2.jpg

What I do remember is my first experience with him as an MCU character was from Marvel Ultimate Alliance. He's one of the later bosses fought together with Baron Mordo after Doom tricked them (heh) into transfering Odin's power to him.

Loki is the only boss in Ultimate Alliance who was actually climactic. Also, Larry Cedar's performance killed it harder than The Void. Best Loki voice.

I'VE COME TO PAY MY RESPEKS, TO ODIN!!
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Snoop Dogg View Post
    Attention, Marvelites! True hero and sweet baby Loki has been kidnapped by a hairy cosmic Canadian! To save #BestGod, he'll need your credit card number, the three numbers on the back, and the expiration month and year. Hurry, it’s not long before he gets drowned in beer!
    OMG, my poor sweet baby! Where do I send the money?

I find the ending amusing. Future Phoenix Wolverine (because I am never not calling him that) gets sent back in time, presumably because everything went kablooey. So, if you get sent back in time, who's the very first person you'd track down (to the point where you are hunting for them through space)? I mean, Loki, obvs . Granted, I think it's implied that future Loki (I think we can rule out the necro-sword one) helped Future Phoenix Wolverine with the plan and the time shenanigans, which is why he trusts him. But Loki's not the answer you'd get if you asked most people. A lot of them would probably give you very odd looks, especially because a decent number of folk still think he's the villain (or so it seems).

Wonder how this is going to tie into Aaron's work, especially because Future Phoenix Wolverine is in both, and Loki mentions the War of the Realms towards the end of the issue.

Also, they are the most infinity stone-less Infinity Watch, ever. I almost want to say staying that way would be more successful, since they wouldn't be gathering the damn things in one place. Has anyone ever heard of walkie-talkies? Or the fact that the person with the mind stone is psychic? Anyways...

The teaser trailer for War of the Realms didn't have any Loki in it I kind of think he's conspicuously absent, though. That's four books he's been in that tie into War of the Realms, now that he mentioned it in this issue (Asgardians of the Galaxy, Thor, foreshadowed here and in Avengers). I mean, I'm hoping Thor gets a strong showing, and regains Mjolnir (I'd rate as highly likely), but I also hope Loki gets a strong showing, too. Maybe they both can. After all, Loki's a plotter and planner where Thor is a heavy hitter, those are two different but complimentary roles. I'm guessing they're not showing him as much because they can't put him on Malekith's side (since Loki's betrayal is all but certain), but showing him with the heroes would spoil things.

Loki is the only boss in Ultimate Alliance who was actually climactic. Also, Larry Cedar's performance killed it harder than The Void. Best Loki voice.

I'VE COME TO PAY MY RESPEKS, TO ODIN!!
    Oh, speaking of Loki in games, has anyone been keeping up with Avengers Academy? I dropped it after the monetization got utterly absurd, and apparently I wasn't alone, because it is shutting down soon. I may check back in to see how the story wraps up but am missing a chunk in the middle there...

Also, Loki kicks quite a bit of ass in Marvel Strike force, especially if you have his Ragnarok costume. Which was a nice change after he was fun to play but poorly balanced (in the weak direction) in Marvel Heroes (also now shut down). Before they kinda broke him, and a lot of other characters, towards the end there.

I mean, there are worse ways to go, I guess...

Quote Originally Posted by Riimi View Post
    OMG, my poor sweet baby! Where do I send the money?

I find the ending amusing. Future Phoenix Wolverine (because I am never not calling him that) gets sent back in time, presumably because everything went kablooey. So, if you get sent back in time, who's the very first person you'd track down (to the point where you are hunting for them through space)? I mean, Loki, obvs . Granted, I think it's implied that future Loki (I think we can rule out the necro-sword one) helped Future Phoenix Wolverine with the plan and the time shenanigans, which is why he trusts him. But Loki's not the answer you'd get if you asked most people. A lot of them would probably give you very odd looks, especially because a decent number of folk still think he's the villain (or so it seems).

Wonder how this is going to tie into Aaron's work, especially because Future Phoenix Wolverine is in both, and Loki mentions the War of the Realms towards the end of the issue.

Also, they are the most infinity stone-less Infinity Watch, ever. I almost want to say staying that way would be more successful, since they wouldn't be gathering the damn things in one place. Has anyone ever heard of walkie-talkies? Or the fact that the person with the mind stone is psychic? Anyways...

The teaser trailer for War of the Realms didn't have any Loki in it I kind of think he's conspicuously absent, though. That's four books he's been in that tie into War of the Realms, now that he mentioned it in this issue (Asgardians of the Galaxy, Thor, foreshadowed here and in Avengers). I mean, I'm hoping Thor gets a strong showing, and regains Mjolnir (I'd rate as highly likely), but I also hope Loki gets a strong showing, too. Maybe they both can. After all, Loki's a plotter and planner where Thor is a heavy hitter, those are two different but complimentary roles. I'm guessing they're not showing him as much because they can't put him on Malekith's side (since Loki's betrayal is all but certain), but showing him with the heroes would spoil things.
    I don't think anyone has one of the stones, except the time stone. didn't Adam Warlock give them all free will so they could just go wherever and do whatever? so I'd imagine Loki and Wolverine's task will be to track down where the stones went.

And yeah, there's clearly some time travel shenanigans going on, which may tie into my thought that "Kid Loki" may not be a creation of our present day Loki, but rather created by Loki in the future, and then sent back in time. Maybe. It's hard to say for sure. And I think it all must connect to the War of the Realms somehow, but I think a lot of things are leading into or tying into War of the Realms. They say it's one of their biggest events ever, so even if he hadn't been shown to be neck deep in the leadup so far, I think it would be extremely surprising if he wasn't taking part, considering it seems like even characters that have very little connection to Asgard, such as Daredevil are participating. (actually, come to think of it, on the Marvel Knights speculation, those characters were on the teaser image, weren't they? well, except Elektra. hm...)

ps. I edited the OP with a picture, seemed like a good one since it shows lots of different Lokis. I may edit later to actually include something more about him. I just wanted to get the thread started because it was wednesday, and I am a bit busy lately because I am moving in like a week and a half.
    Last edited by Raye; 01-03-2019 at 03:25 PM.

Extraordinary Member

KidLoki being a creation of Loki from the future? It could work, I'm cool with this. It's almost too sensible.

My guess is that Loki won't tie in with the main books for War of the Realms except for the big issues, but instead we'll see his actions in Infinity whatever it is now.