Page 62 of 106 FirstFirst ... 125258596061626364656672 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Did he need help from Hela that time? He didn't have the same powers then that he does now.

It's not that I don't want them to mess with things, but there's a limit to where this just gets too powerful and all emcompassing and dangerous for the creative team.

Plus, what is the point of doing all of that? What are they building towards?

Did he need help from Hela what time? I'm talking about the astral projection that accidentally ended up in Thor's room. They already showed us how the time travel works.

And my point is, that this method of doing things limits the power he has, it has limits baked in. And there was already talk of cost for actions in the first issue, and unintended consequences of actions, I presume that will continue to be a theme. Where he has to be careful with his actions, especially in the past, lest the cost of them be too much to bear, or they have unintended consequences. The whole point, I think, is that he has to learn Spider-Man's power and responsibility mantra and be careful with his new power and not use it recklessly.

And the point of doing this is, in addition to the above, you know, the plot. I presume Eternity/his children have a reason for this, and we will find out over the course of the next issue or so. Presumably there is a bad future to prevent, and the time traveling is a means to that end.
    Last edited by Raye; 08-24-2019 at 07:55 PM.

Extraordinary Member

But that can't be just how his time travel works. That was just astral projection and wasn't really anything he can't do now with a bit of work. He couldn't even keep it up and he got the wrong room entirely. Loki's powers have to be different from that.

He has never astral projected through time before, it isn't part of his usual powers. And he was near death and so he slipped up, maybe he hadn't done it in a few centuries, so was out of practice, who knows. But I don't think they'd have shown the warning in that particular way if it wasn't going to be relevant later, and it stands to reason that if he was granted time travel powers, he would USE THEM right then. Think it through. If they are giving him new time related powers, why would he NOT use them in that instance?

If he time travels via astral projection, it means he should in theory be able to possess his past self's body, or at least influence it. And there may be more to it than just that.

Extraordinary Member

I guess my issue is that that Loki may not have time powers. He may represent a future where Loki doesn't get those powers or even one where he's given them up in return for something else.

EDIT: Also, I don't post on Sundays, so if I don't post, it is because of that. Hopefully they don't drop anything too big about Loki tomorrow LOL
    Last edited by Rosebunse; 08-24-2019 at 08:38 PM.

Perhaps, but I can't really see why they'd do it that way. Foreshadowing is a standard move in storytelling and this was textbook foreshadowing. And it involved time travel. so in a story that involves time travel, it seems logical they would employ the same method. and if he can do that, why on earth did Eternity grant him time travel powers? (because he can't) I also don't see how he can trade in powers for something else, I really don't think Eternity is giving him these powers for Loki's benefit, or that Loki really has a choice in the matter. As Loki said, he knew this was deal with the devil, he's probably not coming out of this a winner in the end. This is a power/responsibility that is being thrust upon him, and he has to deal with that. I am awfully certain that the character arc of this will be him basically learning the power and responsibility thing first hand, and having this power and the responsibilities that come with it is part of that. (also mirrored with the throne of Jotunheim on a smaller scale) The consequences he has to deal with are a bit larger in terms of impact on the world than his uncle dying, though.

Protector of Mortals Prof. Aegis's Avatar

I don't see this as Loki trading in his powers for different ones. I do see this new power as an addition. I do completely agree that Eternity isn't giving the new powers to Loki for Loki's benefit. Eternity or his kids want something and have plans for Loki using those powers to help them in some way. And I'm sure Loki figures he'll be able to outsmart Eternity and use the powers for his benefits or plans.

Oh, as for the future "Loki", I'm curious to see what his deal is. Based upon powers, abilities, "worthiness, etc." If it is Loki, there's obviously new aspects to his character and abilities and it'll be interesting to see how that develops.
    The Doors of Wisdom are never shut! - Benjamin Franklin

Extraordinary Member

Well, Loki is going to try and get Thor's hammer. I imagine that that will be a start to his change. Think about how bad it will be if Thor is happy he can lift it?

We've already had hints that Loki is not just going to try and get Mjolnir, but that he's pretty certain that he will. There was that comment in the Omega issue that he was sure he'd be 'worthy enough any day now' which was paired with comments about time about to become fuzzy for him, and the comments about the Bifrost, so he was time traveling there, and when Iron Man gave him his terms for joining the Avengers, Loki was just like 'deal.' and it didn't come across as like, 'now i have to figure out how to do it' but more like 'well, i know that's going to happen anyway.' I figure that sometime in between this meeting with Eternity's Children and his visit to Iron Man, he has some kind of encounter with his future self, and sees that he will become worthy of Mjolnir. Either he is shown it by the Children, or future Loki pays him a visit. I mean, if he is given the ability to time travel into the past, there's no reason he will stop doing that in the future. present Loki ill travel into his own past, and distant future Loki will travel into the near future or the present, maybe the past as well. And yes, this can be confusing, but time travel stories are just like that.

Going back to the whole music thing, this is a new song that was released just a few days ago, and it's so fitting of Loki at the moment it is INSANE. Also note the band name.

https://youtu.be/Q6Po3JFpCOM

Yeah, I'm very curious as to the whole time travel aspect and the future Loki. Plus how he becomes "worthy" and what effect it has on him in the future and present.

Fantastic name of the group! And yes, very fitting for Loki.

Extraordinary Member

I saw the leaked trailer and while we did get plenty of Loki, no new footage from the how.

There was a trailer with more than just the logo? Anything you can say about what you saw?

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Prof. Aegis View Post
    There was a trailer with more than just the logo? Anything you can say about what you saw?
    Just a few scenes of Loki from the movies.

What was interesting is that the logo changed fonts several times. It wasn't entirely like the one we saw with all the different fonts at the same time.

So the different fonts must represent different genres or points at time.

As I suspected before, I think each episode will have a different font for the logo, based on where he is in time.

Also, yeah looks like there is possibly some minor synergy going on with the show and book now i think about it. But the situations leading them to hop through time are totally different, so nothing too bad. But I still wish they wouldn't do that. It's like Hickman said, the comics should be inspiring the movies, and they can't do that if they're too busy aping the movies.

but, as for how he becomes worthy, i mean the time travel may play a part there. if he's spending time in the past, it in effect speeds up whatever internal character growth he's going through in the present, he's just got more time to spend just working through stuff than everyone else.