Page 13 of 106 FirstFirst ... 3910111213141516172363 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Raye View Post
    I'd be ok with Prodigy. I don't really ship him with anyone specific, I just think it would be nice for him. Got a tiny bit of that with Zelma, but it didn't last long.

Ok. one other detail. I noticed it before, but got caught up with talk about other things. The logo. They changed the O.... to the symbol for Jotunheim.

So what's this mean? why the emphasis on Jotunheim? I mean I know he's a frost giant, but.... does Laufey die and he becomes king of Jotunheim or something? is this part of his new 'responsibilities'? Especially weird since he's clearly in New York.

They also changed the K, it used to sweep under the I, but the font is the same otherwise.
    Good eye, Ray. I can see Loki becoming king of the Frost Giants. Him spending way too much time in New York would make sense. The newer Lokis have all enjoyed modern life, which would clash wildly with living in Jotunheim. He'd be bored out of his mind.

Part of the question of this series might be not whether Loki can be a good person, but rather if he can do what his original self couldn't and actually rule and take some damn responsibility.

Also, does anyone see that green symbol near the bridge? Is that just an artist mark or is that important?

Pretty sure that's just the artist's signature.

But speaking of the bridge, I think the Brooklyn Bridge/Bifrost combo is no accident, it seems to be saying with the imagery that he's acting as a bridge between two worlds, but then the Jotunheim symbol kinda messes that up a bit, sort of, since the Bifrost is more associated with Asgard than Jotunheim...

Maybe after Malekith is defeated, someone from Asgard's royal family will be put in charge of each of the realms that joined forces with him, so Loki gets Jotunheim, Angela gets Heven and so on.

But yes, Loki is not much for the rahter primitive lifestyle of ice castles in Jotunheim, he's come to enjoy the conveniences of the modern world. It may be that does come into play.

A friend of mine just suggested that he may also be the last frost giant after the war. not a very 'giant' one (tho he is quite large there, considering the size of the bridge, but that is probably just artistic license) but technically... I don't think the heroes would resort to genocide, but maybe something else happens.

I am also curious now about the other Asgard related books come July, will they have a symbol worked into their logos too? I doubt we will be getting one for every realm, don't think the Asgard side of things can support 10 books. But at minimum now we have Thor, Loki, Valkyrie, and Asgardians of the Galaxy. So like, will they work Asgard into Thor's logo? Heven into Angela's?
    Last edited by Raye; 04-08-2019 at 06:20 PM.

All-New Member

AWESOME I cant wait!! They finally made another solo series plus it looks like we're sticking with the same loki too which is great! This just made my day 10xs better. Its nice to hear theres going to be more Thor and Loki interaction, hopefully they can start fixing their relationship. It'll be interesting too finding out how Loki comes into possession of mjolnir. And Im curious what's going to happen in it since its after War of the Realms.

YAAAY! and look, he's in his current body/outfit, so that's a good sign.

Wait, why does he have Mjolnir? why is he ABLE TO LIFT Mjolnir?

It's a little fuzzy, but (since i presume you are cool with spoilers) Loki died at the end of Siege, got blown to bits by the Void (hence why he was so afraid of it in Dr Strange, to the point that he kinda froze up, if you read that, but also another sign that the old Loki is still in there) but it turned out this was actually kind of part of his plan. Before his death, he had arranged to have his name struck from the Book of the Dead, so that he would not go to the afterlife, and instead be reincarnated. He also created a backup copy of his mind, along with a set of simple instructions for it to follow once he died. Kind of think of it as a backup of a computer, with a program to restore it if the original computer is wiped. This backup was to seek out his reincarnated body, and when the time was right, overwrite the mind of the reincarnated Loki so the original personality/memories would be in the drivers seat again. He wanted the new Loki to establish a new role and fate and make people trust him once again, because he felt he had become too predictable and had done too much damage to the relationships with Thor etc. Make no mistake, he was thinking in a very self serving way here, he wasn't, at that point, really trying to restore those relationships for a good reason, he just wanted to shake up the status quo so that people wouldn't be able to predict what he did next. So this backup followed Kid Loki around as the magpie Ikol, and when he saw his opportunity, he overwrote Kid Loki's mind. Loki later justified this to himself as Ikol being the weapon of the old Loki who was the one who really fired it, which is where it gets fuzzy. But imo, while Ikol was technically just a copy of the original Loki's mind, he did have all his memories and personality traits, so in all the ways that matter he is the same, and his 'murder weapon' justifications were just him trying to escape the guilt he was feeling. Was this guilt due to some of Kid Loki remaining behind? was it something that was always there, just a step too far even for him? a glitch in copying the 'code'? I dunno, but he has all the memories of the old Loki, so as far as I am concerned, it's the old Loki in all th ways that matter, and apparently his family feels the same way. And at the end of Agent of Asgard, it seemed he came to accept this himself, right before trying to redefine his role.
    Yep I'm completely cool with spoilers don't worry I've come in expecting to get spoiled the only ones I haven't read are the young avengers and the seige and I know old loki sacrifices himself in that one just not how. Those and JIM but I'm already catching up on that one because that scene with kidloki in asgardians of the galaxy tugged at my heartstrings and I want to know more about him. I did read the sorcerer's supreme arc and I don't blame him at all for being terrified seeing the void, if I came face to face with someone who previously killed me like that I'd be frozen in fear too. Sounds like old Loki really thought things through for the most part like he really planned it out, but things didn't go the way he wanted that he pointed out near the end during that ego death scene.
    I think you hit the nail on the head with that one it makes sense to me thank you for clearing it up.

Fantastic Member

Omfg this made my day. The fact that we have a new solo series is fantastic. I'm mostly ecstatic about Mjolnir, I just wish Thor could have it, too. He's gone for so long without his hammer I do hope that his arc, like someone else said, is about learning that he's worthy without it. Then, having it go to someone else could underscore his journey instead of being another setback for him.

The runes--being King of Jotunheim could be part of Loki's "new responsibilities". If that's the case, I agree that we'll finally see if he can handle the power he always wanted --although it sounds like he doesn't want it, anymore! Though it could be Jotunheim that's the problem, I'm reminded of all the board games scattered in his room. Not exactly the most happening place.

Although the solo makes it sound like he could get resurrected as a result of the war of the realms, I expect to see more of him during the event. He's not Mjolnir worthy yet, imo.

I'd love to see Thor hero training Loki, that would be the best. And his supporting cast needs some more fleshing out, so visits by errybody.

I also vote for him going out with a guy. That would be nice because I have felt that they swept that under the rug, but I also think that having the person who's currently wielding Mjolnir date someone of the same sex would be a huge deal.

thread is moving fast today, (understandably. maybe we can make up for that dead period a while back) I keep replying with no quote and then there's a new one there and i have to go back and edit in a quote so it makes sense

And yes, agreed on all points. Especially the Thor potentially giving Loki hero lessons being a fun idea. And as mentioned, many guest appearances from his friends. really get a supporting cast for him going, besides just his brother.

Quote Originally Posted by DragonsRazor View Post
    AWESOME I cant wait!! They finally made another solo series plus it looks like we're sticking with the same loki too which is great! This just made my day 10xs better. Its nice to hear theres going to be more Thor and Loki interaction, hopefully they can start fixing their relationship. It'll be interesting too finding out how Loki comes into possession of mjolnir. And Im curious what's going to happen in it since its after War of the Realms.

Yep I'm completely cool with spoilers don't worry I've come in expecting to get spoiled the only ones I haven't read are the young avengers and the seige and I know old loki sacrifices himself in that one just not how. Those and JIM but I'm already catching up on that one because that scene with kidloki in asgardians of the galaxy tugged at my heartstrings and I want to know more about him. I did read the sorcerer's supreme arc and I don't blame him at all for being terrified seeing the void, if I came face to face with someone who previously killed me like that I'd be frozen in fear too. Sounds like old Loki really thought things through for the most part like he really planned it out, but things didn't go the way he wanted that he pointed out near the end during that ego death scene.
    I think you hit the nail on the head with that one it makes sense to me thank you for clearing it up.
    Glad I could help! and maybe you will come to a different conclusion after reading JIM, but that was my take on it. I'm sure you'll love JIM, it's great. And now you get to see where everyone's favorite murderous talking dog, Thori, came from, too!

And yes, Loki did sacrifice himself to save everyone in Siege, though it was from a plan of his own making that had gone further than he intended. and as mentioned, maybe not actually as selfless as it seemed at the time. Kind of a common scenario with him... He plans everything out and is thinking like 12 steps ahead, but sometimes there's just something he can't possibly account for, and it goes bad on him.
    Last edited by Raye; 04-08-2019 at 06:33 PM.

Extraordinary Member

Pretty sure that's just the artist's signature.

But speaking of the bridge, I think the Brooklyn Bridge/Bifrost combo is no accident, it seems to be saying with the imagery that he's acting as a bridge between two worlds, but then the Jotunheim symbol kinda messes that up a bit, sort of, since the Bifrost is more associated with Asgard than Jotunheim...

Maybe after Malekith is defeated, someone from Asgard's royal family will be put in charge of each of the realms that joined forces with him, so Loki gets Jotunheim, Angela gets Heven and so on.

But yes, Loki is not much for the rahter primitive lifestyle of ice castles in Jotunheim, he's come to enjoy the conveniences of the modern world. It may be that does come into play.

A friend of mine just suggested that he may also be the last frost giant after the war. not a very 'giant' one (tho he is quite large there, considering the size of the bridge, but that is probably just artistic license) but technically... I don't think the heroes would resort to genocide, but maybe something else happens.

I am also curious now about the other Asgard related books come July, will they have a symbol worked into their logos too? I doubt we will be getting one for every realm, don't think the Asgard side of things can support 10 books. But at minimum now we have Thor, Loki, Valkyrie, and Asgardians of the Galaxy. So like, will they work Asgard into Thor's logo? Heven into Angela's?
    I really hope that we get an Angela book of some sort. Her and kidLoki turned out to be so cute.

I definitely think Angela wants to be a part of her Asgardian family, but there's always something keeping her away. And even if she and Loki are rulers of their own respective realms or something, it sounds like, at least on Loki's end, they'll be some sort of family reconciliation between the the House of Odin, which will be fun since we haven't see them be all together for years now.

But if something happens to all of the other Frost Giants, then who will Loki be king of? I'm not saying that this won't happen because, well, the Giants are sending a ton of their own in just to be fodder and most of them honestly don't see that smart. But if Loki was given some sort of leadership role over the whole race, he would need some sort of people to rule over. We don't see the female Frost Giants anywhere, so maybe he gets to rule over them? Maybe...?
    Glad I could help! and maybe you will come to a different conclusion after reading JIM, but that was my take on it. I'm sure you'll love JIM, it's great. And now you get to see where everyone's favorite murderous talking dog, Thori, came from, too!

And yes, Loki did sacrifice himself to save everyone in Siege, though it was from a plan of his own making that had gone further than he intended. and as mentioned, maybe not actually as selfless as it seemed at the time. Kind of a common scenario with him... He plans everything out and is thinking like 12 steps ahead, but sometimes there's just something he can't possibly account for, and it goes bad on him.
    That's something I have wondered for years. We know that Loki had already written himself out of the book of the dead and we know that he had planned to unleash the Void on Asgard, but did he plan for the Void to kill him? Because it seems like he did, but then in Seige itself he seems shocked at how badly his plan went.

Loki and Angela also meshed well in the Thor and Loki mini and in Vote Loki, she seems to get along with Loki better than Thor, and I think it's cute. He seems to understand her 'nothing for nothing' deal better than any of the other Asgardians, and she lacks the sort of baggage with Loki that, say, Thor has, so she's willing to give him more of a chance. They also have a similar background of being taken from their birth parents and being raised in a foreign culture, and then, more recently, be expected to just slip back into their birth culture and forget everything of their adoptive one, despite it being how they were raised. Which in my headcanon gives them a sort of special bond or understanding. I'd love to see more of them together.

And the genocide thing was kind of an alternative to the rulership thing, it's not both at once, it's rule the frost giants OR be the last giant. My money is on ruling them, but good to keep possibilities open, you never know. I do think ruler makes more sense. After certain realms threw their lot in with Malekith and tried to conquer all the realms, and very nearly succeeded, I don't think it would be a good idea to allow those rulers to remain in power. If there is someone with some legitimate claim to the throne that could step in with better intentions.... It's possibly kind of shady if we think of realms in the same way we think of countries, where you can't just remove a leader from power and install someone of your choosing if you don't like how they do things. (well, it happens, but it's frowned upon) but on the other hand, they did literally declare war on everyone.

and Siege, i think some of the wonkyness comes from the fact that there are retcons involved. I don't think Bendis meant for Loki to always intend to die, Gillen retconned that in, so some details end up a little wonky. But I somehow doubt he ever really grasped before it was unleashed just how unfathomably powerful the Void is.

Extraordinary Member

Yeah, say what you will about Vote Loki, but Angela agreeing to be his bodyguard and selling him out for a book was a highlight LOL

But yeah, that may or may not have been part of his plan anyways.

I hope we see more of Angela and Loki too. Like you said, they really seem to "get" each other more than the others. Even when Angela doesn't trust him, she doesn't take what he does as personally as Thor, though a lot of that comes from the fact that they didn't grow up together. I think what really sells them together is that, in all reality, they each crave family but they'll never admit it. They want that family connection, but neither of them know exactly how to get it. Angela is clearly trying to slowly integrate herself into the rest of the family, so let's hope that continues.

I mean, I don't think anyone wants to commit genocide here, but the Frost Giants themselves don't really make that easy.

But seriously, this is an interesting angle for Loki because we've seen Old Loki rule and he was pretty bad at it. We've also seen that Loki is sort of still searching for "something" to make himself whole. That's what I think we see in Infinity War and you could argue that he even sort of tried it by spending time with Loki. Yes, he had his moment in Agent of Asgard, but I think it's only realistic that someone wouldn't immediately become a happier person after one good day and win. So it'll be interesting here given that I don't think this would be a job he'd even want.

I think the hard part with Siege is that Gillen had his plans and Bendis was just doing Bendis.

Yes, I think both them want that family connection but won't actually say as much, so at least they can get it from each other. But I think Thor will always come first for Loki.

And yeah, the more I think on it the more I think his new responsibilities involve the frost giants. It kind of fits too well, he is Laufey's heir by blood whether he likes it or not, unless the potential teases about Loki's parentage come to something, but the Jotun symbol in his name is making me doubt that now. and I am thinking Laufey will die or at the very least be removed from power, so.... But the Mjolnir thing is also still there, and would have responsibilities of its own. Though I think he's shown during the Sorcerer Supreme thing that he can do that sort of responsibility already. He may have tricked his way into the position, but Strange himself admitted Loki was doing a good job of Sorcerer Supremeing, being 'worthy' isn't actually that far off from what he was doing as Sorcerer Supreme in terms of actions once in the role, or even intent, he was trying to fix magic, that's not a bad thing. its just how he achieved it that was sketchy.
    Last edited by Raye; 04-09-2019 at 08:15 AM.

Full solicit text:

LOKI #1
    Written by DANIEL KIBBLESMITH
    Art by OSCAR BAZALDUA
    Cover by OZGUR YILDIRIM
    EARTH’S MIGHTIEST HERO! ALL-NEW ONGOING SERIES!
    After dying a grisly death in THE WAR OF THE REALMS, Loki learned a valuable lesson in warmongering: Don’t get caught. But now he has a whole new set of responsibilities — and his brother Thor is not about to let him walk away from them this time. Late Show and BLACK PANTHER VS. DEADPOOL writer Daniel Kibblesmith takes the god of mischief in a thrilling new direction!

Not a lot new here but it does confirm that it is definitely an ongoing, not a mini, which is good! AND it calls Loki a hero! i mean, obviously kinda tongue in cheek, but still it indicates that the series will be him trying to do good. Probably in his own special way but still.

Also, had a thought. What if.... the 'from the skies' thing in that War of the Realms solicit is referring to Mjolnir? I mean, it's in the sun, so... it's gonna have to come fro the sky if it's heading back to Earth. Also, have another look at the cover for that issue: https://static2.cbrimages.com/wordpr...&w=738&dpr=1.5 what do you see in the sky? Lightning. This would explain a few things. Why Loki thinks they need Thor specifically, I mean, for story reasons, obviously, but from an in-universe perspective, why need Thor specifically when you have Dr Strange, Hyperion, Sentry, Hulk, and on and on, there are tons of uber powerful characters that can pound Malekith's face in. But if Mjolnir is needed, then you need someone to wield it, and he thinks that's Thor. It would also explain why Loki has Mjolnir already when the series starts, he MUST get it during War of the Realms, that's the only place he could have gotten it before the new solo starts. So Loki thinks they need Thor cus they need Mjolnir, but SURPRISE, it chooses Loki instead. Maybe Mjolnir is more about choosing someone that needs a chance to prove themselves than it is about picking the person who is the best person. That would mean it doesn't make Thor a worse person because he's not worthy, just that he doesn't need the hammer to do his thing, and in fact he may be better off (short term) without it, until he learns that. It also turns it from something being taken from him into Thor sharing his power with someone that needs it. Loki, on the other hand, needs it, he needs what it symbolizes. Everyone knows Thor is a good dude, he doesn't need a hammer to show people that. Loki does. No one will take him seriously without it, they'll just think he's playing some trick. To be fair, a lot will still think that even if he can pick up Mjolnir, but less so.

but I still think the Naglfar Armada has to come into play!

Also, checked out Black Panther vs Deadpool, was funny, maybe paced a bit too fast for my tastes, but that may just be down to it being a mini. I think Loki is likely in good hands. It had a lot of themes that would also apply to Loki, and was supportive of the idea that no one will ever change their ways if they are never given a chance to. What remains to be seen is how Kibblesmith does with his voice, some writers have had problems with that, but if nothing else i think he'll probably nail the snark.
    Last edited by Raye; 04-09-2019 at 12:09 PM.

Extraordinary Member

You're not wrong, Loki could use that hammer more than Thor does. And we already know that deep inside of him, Loki has it in him to use it. But like you say, it would be a good sign for other characters that he's on the up and up. They did give Jane, an unknown Thor, a chance, so why not him? And everyone saw him save Freya and give his life to protect her. Loki is in a good place and unlike in the beginning of Agent of Asgard, Loki hasn't built that good will on a bunch of lies...I think.

For Loki's voice, if Kibblesmith isn't sure what tone to use, I say let him speak in a more "modern" voice. We saw Slott use a real "classic" Thor speak and it failed. Well, it didn't fail, but it didn't work for Loki as he is now.

Well, coming from a place of an ex-villain, one known specifically for deception, is a lot harder than simply some unknown woman in a face obscuring helmet. Jane hadn't done anything to convince them she was a bad person, she just had to prove she was a good one. Loki has to do that, but starting from a point of overcoming his past misdeeds, which are substantial. He's already convinced them he's a bad person, so convincing them he's now a good(ish) one will be that much harder. He's managed to convince a few of the more trusting heroes, or ones like Black Panther who are smart enough to see what he's doing, that he's trying to be better, but on the whole i think getting that trust will be very hard for him, and Mjolnir will help a lot, it's whole deal is being a good judge of character. Some (both in universe and readers) will no doubt think hes cast a spell on Mjolnir, or it's not the real hammer, or some other kind of trick, but it's still a lot better than trying to do it without that symbol of 'worthiness'

Another thought, it doesn't just say he's a 'hero' it says 'earth's mightiest hero' who are the 'earth's mightiest heroes'? the Avengers. I think he is FINALLY joining the Avengers, i've kept saying he probably would ever since the Celestial arc, and it's finally happening... maybe. It has to happen sometime, they have to go 'double god' to piss off Tony. Which means Aaron isn't quite done with him (or Thor, who is still on the team obv) yet. That may be where we see the followup to the Celestials rather than War of the Realms. of the 3 'from the skies' possibilities put forth now, (Naglfar, Mjolnir, Celestials) I think the Celestials are the least likely, but I also don't think they are done yet, so maybe future Avengers and/or the mystery event.

And yeah, definitely stay away from the thees and thous, Loki abandoned that years ago, unless he's purposefully talking that way because it will get him something. But mostly I'd say to take notes from Cates Loki in Dr stragne, I think he hit on a nice balance between the nicer Loki in Agent of Asgard and the snarky Loki in Thor.

Extraordinary Member

Damn, good point about him joining the Avengers! This also allows Aaron to spill over some of his own events into a Loki book and spread the load for him.

Thor might be leaving the Avengers to rule Asgard, so maybe Loki will take his place there?

oh but it would be fun to have them on the same team! I'm sure they'd kinda bicker and argue, but we have to have some place where they can interact and that would be a good place to do it... and if Loki is going to join, (maybe, i've been wrong about this one before) I suspect the other members will want someone there to keep him in line. And if Loki is going to rule Jotunheim, and he can go do things on Earth, Thor should be able to as well.

Still, that does highlight another odd aspect about that cover... lightning in the skies, yes... but no Thor.... the lighting might be Thor's doing, he can do lightning without Mjolnir, but we now know the lightning could also be caused by Mjolnir, and not necessarily in Thor's hands. Every member of the Avengers is gathered for the final showdown, even Blade, but Thor's still not there (ok, and Cap). Very odd, for an event where he should be the focus. He is mentioned in the next solicit tho, and says he makes a sacrifice that will 'leave him forever changed' We know he lives, because he is mentioned in Loki's solicit, (the more we unpack from theat cover and few lines of text, I really am surprised they did an advance solicit of it, considering how inherently spoilery it is about WotR, but whatever!) so I'm betting it's his eye, (and some people will probably say it's a Ragnarok synergy, but King Thor was missing an eye long before the movie hit, I'm sure this was in the cards all along) I don't think it will be him giving away Mjolnir, because we know he gets it back already, King Thor has it, and you know already that he'll have it back in a year, tops, after Aaron is gone. But still, odd that he's not on the cover.
    Last edited by Raye; 04-09-2019 at 09:13 PM.

what if someone has altered reality like hydra did to change the hammer's inscription to "if thee be a hot babe, you can lift this smackstick" then loki could lift it all the time and lead the avengers
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate