Page 41 of 106 FirstFirst ... 313738394041424344455191 ... LastLast

It sounds to me that he's going to continue the antihero path he's been on. Good. I'd find it boring if he turned all boy scout mode.

Fantastic Member

So, since it's never to early to speculate I guess, any ideas about what Loki loses in #3? I'm wondering if it's his godhood/immortality. That would both fit the bill of redefining his place in the MU (cutting the final ties to the lies/evil/etc.) and fit the theory here about becoming "Thor", since a common aspect of Thor is the god/mortal duality.

I don't have any idea what he loses, his mortality is one guess, and as you say could fit with the 'thor' thing, but we know it can't be permanent because he's alive at the end of time.

Well at the end, Kibblesmith said "Also, when I said Loki didn't have a scheme this time? Well, it wouldn't be a Loki comic if everything I just said was true."

So, that's not the interviewer assuming Loki's up to no good, but it's not entirely clear what it means. could just mean anti-hero, could mean nefarious plans. Could mean something totally unexpected.

oh, forgot to mention before, i appreciate his optimism when he says he has a 100 issue plan, and I hope it can happen (even if it is broken up into different volumes with relaunches or whatever) even if I have some doubts of how likely that is, given the current comic book market. But I am eagerly anticipating the Downtown Abbey arc.
    Last edited by Raye; 07-02-2019 at 10:35 PM.

So, Loki was in Squirrel Girl today, as one might expect. (and Thor was not, despite being on the cover) It was only 2 pages at the end, but the issue overall set up some things that may cause him problems down the line, should any of this be referenced in his solo book.

spoilers:
    First thing that may come back and bite him is that Squirrel Girl beat the Frost Giants in part by inciting them to revolt against Laufey. She convinced them that they should not just follow him blindly because he's the king, that they should actually expect their king to govern them WELL, with their best interests in mind rather than his own, and they went back to Jotunheim to form a rebellion. So if Loki does a **** job as king, they are now primed to revolt and overthrow him.

Second thing is that when Loki came in at the end, he was there to take Ratatoskr back to Asgardian prison, (which in itself is kinda interesting that he was on Team Asgard so quickly) but Squirrel Girl and Nancy convinced him to leave her, because she had changed and was trying to be better, and they vouched for her (well, Doreen vouched for Ratatoskr and Nancy vouched for Doreen) and Loki was swayed by this, and was all like "If Thor doesn't like it, he can fix it." and teleported off back to Asgard or Jotunheim or wherever. But if he does end up the new 'thor' well, then he may have just created a problem for himself. It did show Ratatoskr, in human form, as an investigative reporter a few months later, so it may be that her face turn does stick, but you never know.
    end of spoilers

Protector of Mortals Prof. Aegis's Avatar

The Newsarama article gives us a good taste of Kibblesmith direction. It's good to see that he's got the "hero" angle going but of course will have his own angle as well. And he's right, Loki can be apart of almost any story and style of story. That's one of Loki's benefits is that he can, if written well, fit into every type of story, be it street level to cosmic and his ability to interact with all types of characters makes him and his story possibilities just endless.
    The Doors of Wisdom are never shut! - Benjamin Franklin

Well, he may play the part somewhat, but I don't know if Loki could ever truly be considered street level, he's just way too powerful. I mean I guess Spider-Man makes street level feel work with a high level of power, but he's kind of the exception that proves the rule. But just about anything else is fair game, sure. He can do Dr Strange type trippy weird stuff, and that seems to be the opener with the solo, to Cosmic space stuff, to high fantasy, to standard superhero fare, and he's like, the perfect fit for spy/secret agent type stories. But he'd probably approach each of them with his own unique approach.
    Last edited by Raye; 07-03-2019 at 05:46 PM.

Protector of Mortals Prof. Aegis's Avatar

Oh no, I wasn't considering Loki being street level, just that he could work in stories at that level. Not that he would be there for a long duration or that would be his new "home" so to speak, but that he could if story was that style, be able to fit it and use it to his purposes. Again more for the story/chapter if you will, but not his natural stay of character or environment. He would still have to be Loki, just working within his environments of the moment. And yes, I agree he would apply each of those environments with his own unique approach and make it work to his advantage.
    The Doors of Wisdom are never shut! - Benjamin Franklin

ah, yah, i can see him going through the motions as a one off story or something, but I think that's going to be the poorest fit for him generally, because he could defeat most street level villains with no effort whatsoever. It's like that old unspoken rule about Superman staying out of Gotham. Of course, you could make a funny story out of that, if Loki showed up and just like, totally ruined Daredevil's day by singlehandedly taking out all his baddies. And of course he kinda owes Daredevil now, so i could actually see him wanting to help him somehow. edit -And despite having the powers of Heimdall for a bit, he still seems to be pretty Catholic, so having a Norse god show up to lend him a hand would be funny. and of course, they are forehead horn buddies. I totally want a teamup now.
    Last edited by Raye; 07-04-2019 at 02:43 AM.

Extraordinary Member

I think the street level area of the MU could fit Loki more than we think. It crosses into the supernatural quite a bit.

Yeah, Loki's probably too powerful for street level to be his main domain. If Loki should know anything though, it's finesse, and plenty of street level situations would call for for his stealth then his full arsenal. He could make it work.

maybe for a couple issues, for a teamup, but not much more than that. I think his stealth and shapeshifting abilities would be better served in a spy type thing, sneaking into a Hydra base undetected, or maybe trying to get some kind of secret out of a high profile mark kinda thing. The only way i can see street level working right now is if you either tied it to Daredevil, on account of him helping Loki out there with Laufey, or you turn it into a mystery he has to solve, and it just happens to be something more street level that he's interested in, that way power levels are kind of irrelevant, because it's all about putting clues together rather then beating up a bad guy. Or you could kill 2 birds with one stone and have it be both. Anything else would probably just come across as him playing pretend, i think. I know Kibblesmith said Loki wanted to see/do it all, but that doesn't mean he has to literally do every kind of story.

Anyway, something occurred to me about something that was said n the interview. In it, he said that Loki was king by blood, and that it could mean either in the biological sense, or by killing the previous king, and Loki technically qualifies for both. But there are still those lingering teases that Loki may not be Laufey's biological son. They may not end up amounting to anything, but if they did reveal that he wasn't Laufey's child, then that could be bad for him. He's still got the 'killed him' thing going for him, but... still.

Astonishing Member

I think he said Loki was king by birth (Laufeyson) and blood (Laufey's killer) so yes, Loki is "doubly" king of Jutenheim.

I don't think they will ever change his parentage. I don't see there being much of a story if they did, at least not past the initial reveal.

But he also said "Well, it wouldn't be a Loki comic if everything I just said was true." What if that was one of the falsehoods? And if there is a story there, i mean it depends on who they reveal to be his birth father. some rando, then yes, there is no story, and no point in doing it. But if it's like, Cul maybe, or similar. There could be something there.

Astonishing Member

I think he was referring to Loki's supposedly now defined "good guy" status. I could be wrong but I doubt it.

Fantastic Member

I dunno, I mostly read it as a writer giving himself some wiggle room in case he felt like changing something later on, plus a nod to Loki's normal shenanigans, with a side order of of course there's some scheme going on. However, despite the negative connotation attached to the word, a scheme doesn't necessarily have to be bad. I hope Loki keeps scheming, I just hope it's for achieving good instead of bad. I do hope he's not just playing the hero for X reason. We already had that in AoA, it was great but I think/hope he's moved past that. We've also seen he very much no longer wants to be the villain. Now, Kibblesmith isn't Aaron and could tweak characterization (or even have him remain more motivated by escaping his role as a villain, but again, we've done that).

It's probable he won't be the shiny/sparkly hero as Kibblesmith was making him out to be (some of that seemed tongue in cheek), but I do hope he's continuing to do/be better.