Page 21 of 106 FirstFirst ... 111718192021222324253171 ... LastLast

I think initially he was all about getting oil rights to like Alfheim and ****, he had exclusive access to oil no other company could hope to get, and with no regulations on drilling practices to contend with to boot. Until the war hit Earth, he would have been raking in a ton of money. But now that it's hit Earth... Relegated to Antarctica with no one left to buy the oil he acquired. Classic prioritizing short term gains vs the long term. He's far from a good guy in this, but now that he has nothing left to gain from the war, he may flip. Get humanity back in charge so they can buy all the barrels of oil he drilled across the realms.

Speaking of Giant Man, had a look at those solicits again, and it has them infiltrating the Frost Giants in Florida with the aid of a disguise, which I can only assume is probably magical in nature, how else are you going to disguise a bunch of 50 foot tall guys as frost giants? and who do we know who is a master of illusions and might have a vested interest in stopping Ymir? I mean he's not mentioned, but still, might be worth keeping an eye on... the timing of the series not starting until after issue 3 of the main book, being about stopping frost giants, plus the illusion thing... they couldn't have mentioned Loki because spoilers, so he may be involved despite not being on any of the covers or solicits. He may only be involved as far as the disguises go though.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Raye View Post
    I think initially he was all about getting oil rights to like Alfheim and ****, he had exclusive access to oil no other company could hope to get, and with no regulations on drilling practices to contend with to boot. Until the war hit Earth, he would have been raking in a ton of money. But now that it's hit Earth... Relegated to Antarctica with no one left to buy the oil he acquired. Classic prioritizing short term gains vs the long term. He's far from a good guy in this, but now that he has nothing left to gain from the war, he may flip. Get humanity back in charge so they can buy all the barrels of oil he drilled across the realms.

Speaking of Giant Man, had a look at those solicits again, and it has them infiltrating the Frost Giants in Florida with the aid of a disguise, which I can only assume is probably magical in nature, how else are you going to disguise a bunch of 50 foot tall guys as frost giants? and who do we know who is a master of illusions and might have a vested interest in stopping Ymir? I mean he's not mentioned, but still, might be worth keeping an eye on... the timing of the series not starting until after issue 3 of the main book, being about stopping frost giants, plus the illusion thing... they couldn't have mentioned Loki because spoilers, so he may be involved despite not being on any of the covers or solicits. He may only be involved as far as the disguises go though.
    It just seems like drilling all that oil would have caused a price fall from the influx of supply. But whatever, villains be villains.

I mean, they could just buy a ton of blue paint. Or they could grow the paint using Pym particles LOL

But you've got a point, the timing of these issues have seemed very well planned so far.

Still, I do worry about the amount of content in tomorrow's issue, especially when #4 seems to be a continuation of the rescue.

yeah, I am still undecided if I think it's more likely that Loki gets his rez next issue, or the one after... Assuming I am even close to being on the mark, which i may not be, and Laufey does bite it next issue, and Loki comes back, it could work as the big end of issue finale quite easily, and then issue 4 is (among other things) showing Thor and the others reactions, and the frost giants pissed off about their king being killed, (whether Loki is his heir or not, there will be Laufey loyalists, and the giants do not like Loki much to begin with. They may need to do some conquering beyond just Laufey to claim the throne) and what they do next and getting back to Midgard. It may be the quest is less about getting there as it is escaping once the **** hits the fan. But it may need a bit more buildup to that big moment than they could reasonably fit with Thor and the strike force team to cover as well, so may end up in issue 4. Depends on how Thor's rescue goes, what kind of shape he's in when the strike force finds him. The cover suggested he was captured, but the preview seems to suggest he's managed just fine on his own. In which case it's not so much a rescue as it is a ride home. Which wouldn't be too interesting, so i presume he did get overwhelmed eventually, even if he was a total badass beforehand. Probably.

I just finished watching a thing about Avatar (I love these sorts of analysis videos) and it made me think about how if Loki does become king of Jotunheim, it could bring to mind some mighty whitey trope kind of stuff, if they are not careful. I mean sure Loki technically is one of them, technically, but he was raised in the 'civilized' halls of Asgard, and enjoys the comforts of modern life, and then to have him rule over these giants which are in many ways a very primitive culture... it could be good though, if they go into it knowing how it could come across and address those tropes and maybe subvert them, somehow. Just something that occurred to me, is all.

Hey folks, new here! Sort of. I've read much of this thread and the previous one, but it's never happened before that my binge catching-up-with-comics aligned with events in said comics still actually being discussed. So here I am now, good and caught up for once.
    The thing with my binge method is that it makes the wait between issues less frustrating and lets me read a lot when I'm in *just* the right fandom mood, BUT I end up with a whole backlog of Opinions and nowhere to take them, haha. I will try to restrain myself for now!

So first off, I am absolutely ECSTATIC that Laufey ate Loki lmao. Not to sound edgy and weird but that just felt so unexpected but so right, somehow. Probably wouldn't have felt that way had it been a perma-death, but that's more to do with it happening in the first issue than with the method. (And, you know, my fave being dead.) I know there must be characters like Wolverine and Deadpool who've been in a much worse and grosser (and more explicitly drawn) state, but this might just be the most messed up "death" I've personally read in Marvel, psychologically and physically. It's the "crunch" sound effect that really does it, isn't it? I DON'T KNOW WHY but I'm like, giddy about it. I was shocked in a way that doesn't happen very often, so maybe that just felt good lol. Of all the places I thought Aaron's story might potentially be going, Loki being literally eaten by his father was NOT one of them. But I will say that I think it feels like an appropriate sort of thing to happen with these myth-inspired characters and I like that.

This is actually the first time I've ever been excited for an event. Which is definitely because this time it's the conclusion of a story I was already following, instead of something that just sort of derails the stories I'm following, which is what it usually feels like.

I'm far from 100% pleased with the Loki story Aaron seems to be telling, but since I already managed to probably make your first impression of me "enthusiastic about people I like being eaten" (I...that's not what I usually open with I swear) I think I'll save being negative for later.

Also, I saw Endgame today and
    spoilers:
    I thought it was odd and funny how apparently, RIGHT after having slapped some cuffs on Loki at the end of Avengers, they just let him walk by himself. No strong Thor-hand on his arm to keep him where he was supposed to be, which I'd have expected. No chains or toddler leash or anything. I have to assume the cuffs would've zapped him if he moved too far away, or get magnetically pulled back with some Tony-tech or w/e, but it looked funny to see them all seemingly trust in just sort of... herding him. (And I guess maybe I would've liked the toddler leash, now that I think about it)
    And that muzzle thing apparently wasn't there because ~his words are his most dangerous weapon~~ but because he just kind of annoyed Thor lol.

(As I'm typing this I'm realizing that the annoying involved shapeshifting into Cap. So that means the cuffs DIDN'T inhibit his magic, like I assumed back in 2012. What if he'd transformed into something small and just slipped out, guys? Didn't any of you read Prisoner of Azkaban??)
    end of spoilers

[ETA: Raye, that reminds me of my reaction when Laufey showed up in YA. The frost giants have been pretty heavily "savage" coded (the cannibalism does not help) and even though I loved Laufey doing something EXTREMELY "savage" coded this time, enough to write a whole post about it in fact, that's primarily because of the relationship between these two characters (and the bizarre myth vibe). When that representation of Laufey from Loki's psyche showed up in YA (iirc?) and he was all "YOU SEEM GOOD FOR EATING" ("FEE FI FO FUM") I was like.... Isn't that a bit too on the nose, Marvel? I told myself it's just based on Loki's childhood fears so w/e on the eating thing (BOY DID I GET PROVEN WRONG). I know it's very much a Giant stories thing, but it felt like a weird stereotype anyway, because the rest of that encounter didn't make him seem like an intelligent or worthy adversary imo. Combined with their outfits... you gotta be careful. And yeah, they will have to think it through if your Loki for Frostking theory does happen.]
    Last edited by Pallux; 05-01-2019 at 11:23 AM.

Extraordinary Member

yeah, I am still undecided if I think it's more likely that Loki gets his rez next issue, or the one after... Assuming I am even close to being on the mark, which i may not be, and Laufey does bite it next issue, and Loki comes back, it could work as the big end of issue finale quite easily, and then issue 4 is (among other things) showing Thor and the others reactions, and the frost giants pissed off about their king being killed, (whether Loki is his heir or not, there will be Laufey loyalists, and the giants do not like Loki much to begin with. They may need to do some conquering beyond just Laufey to claim the throne) and what they do next and getting back to Midgard. It may be the quest is less about getting there as it is escaping once the **** hits the fan. But it may need a bit more buildup to that big moment than they could reasonably fit with Thor and the strike force team to cover as well, so may end up in issue 4. Depends on how Thor's rescue goes, what kind of shape he's in when the strike force finds him. The cover suggested he was captured, but the preview seems to suggest he's managed just fine on his own. In which case it's not so much a rescue as it is a ride home. Which wouldn't be too interesting, so i presume he did get overwhelmed eventually, even if he was a total badass beforehand. Probably.

I just finished watching a thing about Avatar (I love these sorts of analysis videos) and it made me think about how if Loki does become king of Jotunheim, it could bring to mind some mighty whitey trope kind of stuff, if they are not careful. I mean sure Loki technically is one of them, technically, but he was raised in the 'civilized' halls of Asgard, and enjoys the comforts of modern life, and then to have him rule over these giants which are in many ways a very primitive culture... it could be good though, if they go into it knowing how it could come across and address those tropes and maybe subvert them, somehow. Just something that occurred to me, is all.
    I do worry about the White Savoir stuff. It's always a risk. O think here it might work just because we know Loki isn't a good ruler by his very nature and that this isn't going to be a choice he really makes because he wants to, but because he sort of has to...but that still doesn't make it better...

Well, I mean, Frost Giants aren't normally really considered a non-white race. Their inclusion in Norse mythology sort of makes them white by association. And I'm sure Loki will mess up just fine and remind us why he shouldn't be charge of anything!
    Quote Originally Posted by Pallux View Post
    Hey folks, new here! Sort of. I've read much of this thread and the previous one, but it's never happened before that my binge catching-up-with-comics aligned with events in said comics still actually being discussed. So here I am now, good and caught up for once.
    The thing with my binge method is that it makes the wait between issues less frustrating and lets me read a lot when I'm in *just* the right fandom mood, BUT I end up with a whole backlog of Opinions and nowhere to take them, haha. I will try to restrain myself for now!

So first off, I am absolutely ECSTATIC that Laufey ate Loki lmao. Not to sound edgy and weird but that just felt so unexpected but so right, somehow. Probably wouldn't have felt that way had it been a perma-death, but that's more to do with it happening in the first issue than with the method. (And, you know, my fave being dead.) I know there must be characters like Wolverine and Deadpool who've been in a much worse and grosser (and more explicitly drawn) state, but this might just be the most messed up "death" I've personally read in Marvel, psychologically and physically. It's the "crunch" sound effect that really does it, isn't it? I DON'T KNOW WHY but I'm like, giddy about it. I was shocked in a way that doesn't happen very often, so maybe that just felt good lol. Of all the places I thought Aaron's story might potentially be going, Loki being literally eaten by by his father was NOT one of them. But I will say that I think it feels like an appropriate sort of thing to happen with these myth-inspired characters and I like that.

This is actually the first time I've ever been excited for an event. Which is definitely because this time it's the conclusion of a story I was already following, instead of something that just sort of derails the stories I'm following, which is what it usually feels like.

I'm far from 100% pleased with the Loki story Aaron seems to be telling, but since I already managed to probably make your first impression of me "enthusiastic about people I like being eaten" (I...that's not what I usually open with I swear) I think I'll save being negative for later.

Also, I saw Endgame today and
    spoilers:
    I though it was odd and funny how apparently, RIGHT after having slapped some cuffs on Loki at the end of Avengers, they just let him walk by himself. No strong Thor-hand on his arm to keep him where he was supposed to be, which I'd have expected. No chains or toddler leash or anything. I have to assume the cuffs would've zapped him if he moved too far away, or get magnetically pulled back with some Tony-tech or w/e, but it looked funny to see them all seemingly trust in just sort of... herding him. (And I guess maybe I would've liked the toddler leash, now that I think about it)
    And that muzzle thing apparently wasn't there because ~his words are his most dangerous weapon~~ but because he just kind of annoyed Thor lol.

(As I'm typing this I'm realizing that the annoying involved shapeshifting into Cap. So that means the cuffs DIDN'T inhibit his magic, like I assumed back in 2012. What if he'd transformed into something small and just slipped out, guys? Didn't any of you read Prisoner of Azkaban??)
    end of spoilers

[ETA: Raye, that reminds me of my reaction when Laufey showed up in YA. The frost giants have been pretty heavily "savage" coded (the cannibalism does not help) and even though I loved Laufey doing something EXTREMELY "savage" coded this time, enough to write a whole post about it in fact, that's primarily because of the relationship between these two characters (and the bizarre myth vibe). When that representation of Laufey from Loki's psyche showed up in YA (iirc?) and he was all "YOU SEEM GOOD FOR EATING" ("FEE FI FO FUM") I was like.... Isn't that a bit too on the nose, Marvel? I told myself it's just based on Loki's childhood fears so w/e (BOY DID I GET PROVEN WRONG). I know it's very much a Giant stories thing, but it felt like a weird stereotype anyway, because the rest of that encounter didn't make him seem like an intelligent or worthy adversary imo. Combined with their outfits... you gotta be careful. And yeah, they will have to think it through if your Loki for Frostking theory does happen.]
    Yes, that giddy feeling is exciting! I always feel sort of bad about it, but it's so much fun to try and guess what will happen next! In this case, it isn't the death thing that gets you, it's just that Laufey did it. Like, we've heard before that Laufey would threaten to eat Loki, we knew that Laufey didn't like Loki and physically abused him, just seeing it so brutally was...well, hard to watch. You know Loki is coming back and all, but that doesn't mean you can't feel bad for him and be horrified in that moment, especially when in issue #2, we see that Laufey still has Loki's blood and gore all over his face.

I was thinking about how Loki is sort of associated with that Goya painting, Saturn Devouring His Son. We saw a homage to it for Agent of Asgard #12 and we had Ikol find life by kidLoki devouring the magpie that held his consciousness and which allowed Ikol to overwrite his. And now he was eaten. There is some debate on if he meant to really do this or not. I definitely think he meant to die after he met Necrogod Loki, but it seems like before he may have just been trying to kill himself to be reincarnated. It's hard to tell when his power here is essentially weaponized suicide at this point.

spoilers:
    I really loved that scene in Endgame. It was so stupid but funny that Thor still seemed to be treating this as just another Loki being Loki moment. It's all so lighthearted. Awww, happier times.

As for his shapeshifting, I guess he could still be caught even if he changed into something small. I mean, he was going to have to change back at some point.
    end of spoilers

So, no quotes, because I don't want to uncover the spoilers by quoting them just yet, tomorrow I will get into movie stuff.

Pallux - hi! I hope you keep posting, some people seem to have wandered away of late...

And yeah, I think this was probably the best I have seen people take the death of their favorite character. I haven't looked a lot of places outside this thread, to be fair, there probably were some people freaking the **** out over it, (and not in a 'that was awesome' way) but still. First of all, I never got the impression it was permanent, even before the solo was announced, though my first thought was that it was an illusion, and that didn't pan out. And it felt like a big moment, even without it being permanent, in a way that Odin's fakeout 'death' didn't. But I don't think that it not coming across as permanent was really a failing int he story, though you could argue it was a failing of comics in general, that we never expect any death to stick, compounded by the fact that we are dealing with a character known for fakeouts, but either way, I think it still worked because it was more important what it represented, the symbolism, what it meant for him to do that, and the payoff years in the making with Laufey. So add that all together, I was actually really cool with him dying. Yeah, if it was a 'redemption equals death' moment with no return in the cards (see: Theon in GoT) then I would feel a bit different. Redemption equals death (or the similar but distinct death equals redemption) is a trope that's always kind of bothered me, because though it is usually intended to show the character being selfless and heroic, and thus how much they've changed, it kind of comes across as them being punished for making the right decision, and then we are deprived of seeing them actually being good. So while this technically was a death equals redemption moment, it sidesteps the downsides because we know he will be back, and he can actually use the death as a catalyst to cement his character growth, and we actually get to see that character growth lead somewhere.

About the white saviour stuff, Rosebunse, I know the giants aren't technically a non white race, but neither are the Na'vi in Avatar, but as Pallux points out, they are coded as such. The way they are presented with how they behave and dress, they clearly come across as fitting a lot of stereotypes about African or First Nations tribes, particularly Central and South American in the frost giants case, just swap out jungles for snow, that colonial era people had, and that's why it might come across that way, if they are not careful. On the plus side, a large part of the Mighty Whitey trope is some white character shows up in a foreign culture and then becomes like, the best at that culture ever. And we already know that even though he technically is one, Loki is **** at being a typical giant. Nor does he have any desire to be that way. So that part already sidestepped. But then we could still get him introducing a 'superior' way of life obliterating their culture, and while, yeah the frost giants can be brutal, and that's not good, but still. But it was just a random thought, will have to see more of the series to know if this has any basis or not. We haven't even gotten confirmation he's going to be king yet, even though I think it's looking likely.

I also don't think Loki is inherently a bad ruler. He has been in the past, sure, but he's changed a lot since then. I think he has it in him to be a good ruler, when he's not being completely selfish and doing it solely for the status or power that position brings him. And I think the series would kind of fail if it did show him being a **** ruler, because why would we want to follow a series of him being bad at something? struggling a bit, sure, but I think ultimately he should end up doing well, even if it takes him a while to get there. It's just that they will have to be a bit careful with how it is presented, or it could be downright cringey and backwards in the same sorts of ways Avatar can be.

So I read WotR 3.... no resurrection today, sadly. Seemed to be too spread out across all the strike force teams and checking in on what Malekith is doing to really get to that part. Thor is still kicking, though, but he did get his gold arm ripped off, so he definitely is in need of a new one, and I think Loki is the one that will provide it, since he is logically the one that is probably in possession of the Destroyer's arm right now. Yeah the Destoryer was present in Asgard this issue, but I'm guessing they just took it off of the Asgardians of the Galaxy's ship, the person who salvaged the Destroyer in the first place after Asgardia was destroyed would be the most likely person to have it now, and that is Loki. so it seems to me, it just makes the most sense to have Loki be resurrected in Jotunheim where Thor is, to make that part of the story efficient. So I still think Laufey will be heading to Jotunheim to take care of the Thor problem himself, and after that happens....

Also, turns out Loki making the Dark Bifrost had a silver lining, sort of...

And we need Loki back before they do that covert mission, because THIS is what they came up with for Dark Elf disguises.

Really guys, really? you thought that would fool them? If Loki had been there with some illusions, and they let him do the talking, that totally would have worked.
    Last edited by Raye; 05-01-2019 at 04:29 AM.

Omg omg omg omg.
    https://www.marvel.com/articles/comi...inkId=66802908
    Another bright future for loki how much of this will be canon ?
    Last edited by Regular man; 05-01-2019 at 11:05 AM.

Nice! I'd heard of this coming out, but not much was revealed about it since then... From this, it seems like Loki: The Teenage Years. But it may jump forward through time after that scene, judging by the cover where he's dressed in like, period clothes, and the description where he's doing like a murder investigation in the 19th century. As for if it is continuity... I'm betting it may be a bit fuzzy in that regard. I know the Squirrel Girl YA novel got referenced in the comic (I never read it tho) but I don't think any of the others ever did. even if it is slotted into current continuity i would not count on the comic writers reading this and treating it as canon in the future. It does seem to bear more resemblance to the comics continuity than the movies, but... not quite... if this is comic continuity, and the presence of Enchantress and all the magpies seems to suggest that, we know Loki hit adulthood before the Viking Age cus we have gnarly bone horns Loki at that time, (and a real ******* by then, as well) so if he's still presented as more of a teenager in the 19th century, then it doesn't really fit. I suspect this is going to end up off in it's own little pocket continuity. The cover kind of weirds me out a bit tho. It's Stephanie Hans, who I normally adore, and she did so much good stuff with him in JIM, but.... it looks like Kid Loki's head on an adult body a bit, and it kinda weirds me out.

we must count that many of the things that happened before the 90s (or even in the 20s) with Loki do not make much sense, we do not follow a logical thread, as when Loki was called satan, and this has never been mentioned again, the marvel should rewrite certain things.
    then luckily they gave a better look to Loki, first they drew ugly the people when they were bad and the good peoples were well designed , stopping to generalize things , it is difficult to really say what Loki could look like in the 19th century, the latest comics have made it clear that for example he was never always a toothpick ahhaha
    3A75023E-2BB9-4951-BF34-D0E199880ABB.jpg
    Last edited by Regular man; 05-01-2019 at 01:46 PM.

Hmmmm... curious about that novel. Don't understand how that timeline would work, but it's not like Asgardian stories have never had time travel shenanigans before. And anyway, it shouldn't affect "our" current Loki's present, and that's good enough for me.

From that article:
    When Asgardian magic is detected in relation to a string of mysterious murders on Earth, Odin sends Loki to investigate. As he descends upon nineteenth-century London, Loki embarks on a journey that leads him to more than just a murder suspect, putting him on a path to discover the source of his power-and who he's meant to be.
    I initially felt more or less indifferent about the whole concept of getting a past-Loki novel, but this has me excited. I know it might not mean what I hope it means, but it COULD mean that Loki gets to play detective. Please, that's all I want! The fact that it's in 19th century London (the most sleuthy century/city combo of course) gives me hope
    Like, the emotional/character stuff that's implied to happen is interesting too and Lee probably has a good story there, but since it's apparently so far in his past I'm like. Yeah it'll be really cool to know, but it'll still be less relevant for me than current Loki's emotional/character stuff, you feel? But appeal to my weakness for fave characters playing detective, and I'm THERE.

(Raye, I agree with you about the art. I actually thought he was supposed to be in like his early "teens" based on that cover('s face)... But I thought this story was gonna have Loki at a typical young adult novel age, so idk)

Now, WOTR #3. I don't have much to say except good to see Thor's arm is finally off! Wanna see that destroyer arm happen.

I would also think the logical thing is for Laufey to come to Jotunheim and have Loki stuff happen there, but this comic has surprised me before lol so we'll see.
    Oh also, anyone else wanna see someone tell Thor that Loki died? Not that I want to see Thor mourn Loki, but I want to see his reaction to the cause of death lmao.

Freyja:

Me: Say it! Say the words! >:] Include "ate" or "eaten" please.
    Last edited by Pallux; 05-01-2019 at 05:20 PM.

Extraordinary Member

Nice! I'd heard of this coming out, but not much was revealed about it since then... From this, it seems like Loki: The Teenage Years. But it may jump forward through time after that scene, judging by the cover where he's dressed in like, period clothes, and the description where he's doing like a murder investigation in the 19th century. As for if it is continuity... I'm betting it may be a bit fuzzy in that regard. I know the Squirrel Girl YA novel got referenced in the comic (I never read it tho) but I don't think any of the others ever did. even if it is slotted into current continuity i would not count on the comic writers reading this and treating it as canon in the future. It does seem to bear more resemblance to the comics continuity than the movies, but... not quite... if this is comic continuity, and the presence of Enchantress and all the magpies seems to suggest that, we know Loki hit adulthood before the Viking Age cus we have gnarly bone horns Loki at that time, (and a real ******* by then, as well) so if he's still presented as more of a teenager in the 19th century, then it doesn't really fit. I suspect this is going to end up off in it's own little pocket continuity. The cover kind of weirds me out a bit tho. It's Stephanie Hans, who I normally adore, and she did so much good stuff with him in JIM, but.... it looks like Kid Loki's head on an adult body a bit, and it kinda weirds me out.
    I'm so happy I wasn't the only one weirded out by that cover. It is so pretty until you get to that head. It honestly looks like someone didn't tell her what age he was supposed to be and Stephanie Hans had to guess.

As for the timeline, I'm fine with it being its own thing. My policy when it comes to Marvel timelines is that it's whatever the writer wants it to be so long as the story is good.

Really love the rings, though. I wish our normal Loki wore more rings. I really like the whole suit.

Quote Originally Posted by Regular man View Post
    we must count that many of the things that happened before the 90s (or even in the 20s) with Loki do not make much sense, we do not follow a logical thread, as when Loki was called satan, and this has never been mentioned again, the marvel should rewrite certain things.
    then luckily they gave a better look to Loki, first they drew ugly the people when they were bad and the good peoples were well designed , stopping to generalize things , it is difficult to really say what Loki could look like in the 19th century, the latest comics have made it clear that for example he was never always a toothpick ahhaha
    3A75023E-2BB9-4951-BF34-D0E199880ABB.jpg
    I mean, there are plenty of old issues of Loki when he was a villain where he looks rather attractive. Mostly, he was drawn ugly because he was always sneering or frowning, plus the damage from getting hit with Thor's hammer and not having access to the immortality apples. Plus, Loki is a shapeshifter, so I feel like his weird look in the flashbacks is at least partially him trying to look more intimidating than he really is. Part of the fun of the modern Loki is that he's able to be a bit more feminine or androgynous. Some artists make him look quite masculine, while others are happy to make him look very feminine. It's part of the fun now!
    Hmmmm... curious about that novel. Don't understand how that timeline would work, but it's not like Asgardian stories have never had time travel shenanigans before. And anyway, it shouldn't affect "our" current Loki's present, and that's good enough for me.

From that article:

I initially felt more or less indifferent about the whole concept of getting a past-Loki novel, but this has me excited. I know it might not mean what I hope it means, but it COULD mean that Loki gets to play detective. Please, that's all I want! The fact that it's in 19th century London (the most sleuthy century/city combo of course) gives me hope
    Like, the emotional/character stuff that's implied to happen is interesting too and Lee probably has a good story there, but since it's apparently so far in his past I'm like. Yeah it'll be really cool to know, but it'll still be less relevant for me than current Loki's emotional/character stuff, you feel? But appeal to my weakness for fave characters playing detective, and I'm THERE.

(Raye, I agree with you about the art. I actually thought he was supposed to be in like his early "teens" based on that cover('s face)... But I thought this story was gonna have Loki at a typical young adult novel age, so idk)

Now, WOTR #3. I don't have much to say except good to see Thor's arm is finally off! Wanna see that destroyer arm happen.

I would also think the logical thing is for Laufey to come to Jotunheim and have Loki stuff happen there, but this comic has surprised me before lol so we'll see.
    Oh also, anyone else wanna see someone tell Thor that Loki died? Not that I want to see Thor mourn Loki, but I want to see his reaction to the cause of death lmao.

Freyja:

Me: Say it! Say the words! >:] Include "ate" or "eaten" please.
    OMG Let the poor woman grieve LOL

What weirded me out about that issue is that it's really hard to ignore that that flying black horse is likely Sleipnir. It's just really distracting, especially when they're talking about Loki LOL

Thor is in a berserker rage. What would he do if he knew Loki died? Especially given his very complicated feelings about Loki and the fact that those feelings aren't exactly unfounded. Aaron hasn't let Loki off the hook for kidLoki's death, though we have seen Thor and Loki's relationship healing somewhat. But if Thor does care that Loki has died, is it a good thing to tell him that Loki was brutally murdered by Laufey? Wouldn't it be better to try and calm him down?

I do think that next issue is where we will see Loki's rescue. You have Freya near the Dark Bifrost, you have Thor about to be rescued, you have the whole set up with Venom being kidnapped. So Malekith kidnapping Venom to be used as a weapon will compensate for losing Laufey and maybe keep his people in line a bit longer.

I still think that if Loki is rescued, it's likely that he is going to be wrecked, if only because I am not sure Thor is going to believe him if he's just perfectly fine, especially given Thor's rage at the moment. Thor being confronted with losing Loki for good might be one of the few that might break him out of this.

LMAO as I was typing that it occurred to me that telling Thor anything that isn't "the sun's going down, the sun's getting real low" at this moment might be very dangerous, but! I want it so bad haha! On the other hand, if no one has the nerve to tell him that his brother died, or at least not that Laufey chomped down on him, imagine Laufey and Thor being in the same location and Loki just suddenly bursting out like in Alien with absolutely no warning.

Them: *about to fight to the death, already fighting to the death or otherwise having a very intense war moment*
    Loki:

Ok but seriously again. This is my serious hat. The Sleipnir thing is... uncomfortable. More so than in the myths imo bc of Loki and Odin's different relationship here. I also noticed Sleipnir in uh.. I think it was the Tenth Realm series. And I just assumed comics Sleipnir did not have the same origin as myth Sleipnir. Actually I generally thought comics Loki was not the parent of the comics counterparts of most of those myth children. Like, Hela already couldn't have been his daughter. (Until he was made sorta kinda metaphorically her father by kid Loki's shenanigans.) But then sometimes writers will just reference some (monster) character being his child like it's no big deal and it's like wait, which is canon? Do I just choose to accept the ones I don't find horribly uncomfortable to think about? Cause that's been my method thus far.

About the Viking era design: I was actually a little put off by it at first if I'm honest. It's a cool design but it threw me off a bit that he looked so big and built, now that I'm so used to his new design. You're right he's a shapeshifter AND classic Loki wasn't exactly drawn skinny in his spandex, but I feel that not being a physical strength sort of god is a pretty big part of his character. But as long as he's drawn less mad fucking ripped than Thor it works for me. (Also I suspect a lot of comic artists either don't know how or flat out refuse to draw non-ripped guys, so... Sometimes I'll just apply my own character design choices.) Modern Loki, however... it really irks me when someone draws him super muscular/typical-big-gritty-comics-man looking. Please, if you have a character with traits that visually set them apart from every other character in your medium... I'd rather you lean into it than minimize it or take it away completely.

I do think he's generally been purposefully drawn to look not exactly handsome in the more recent past (from what I can remember at least) but now I'm googling classic Loki images and a bunch of them show his face not looking much different from any other comics faces except maybe narrower and the expression. Plus isn't there that silver age comic where he messes with Jane for the first time and she calls him handsome? iirc? Could be a disguise but I don't think so? I saw that (him being handsome) as something that was just sort of retconned/changed in later comics, at least definitely by the time Siege happened. But a lot of the time, unless it's super obvious, it can be hard to tell who in comics is supposed to be good looking or not...

And this isn't very relevant to the topic (unless you have a very strong opinion on Leonard Nimoy's level of attractiveness) but I saw some panels of old Loki with that hornless crown once where he reminded me so much of Leonard Nimoy lol, but now that I need it to show you all I can't find it.
    Last edited by Pallux; 05-01-2019 at 10:11 PM.

Extraordinary Member

LMAO as I was typing that it occurred to me that telling Thor anything that isn't "the sun's going down, the sun's getting real low" at this moment might be very dangerous, but! I want it so bad haha! On the other hand, if no one has the nerve to tell him that his brother died, or at least not that Laufey chomped down on him, imagine Laufey and Thor being in the same location and Loki just suddenly bursting out like in Alien with absolutely no warning.

Them: *about to fight to the death, already fighting to the death or otherwise having a very intense war moment*
    Loki:

Ok but seriously again. This is my serious hat. The Sleipnir thing is... uncomfortable. More so than in the myths imo bc of Loki and Odin's different relationship here. I also noticed Sleipnir in uh.. I think it was the Tenth Realm series. And I just assumed comics Sleipnir did not have the same origin as myth Sleipnir. Actually I generally thought comics Loki was not the parent of the comics counterparts of all/most of those myth children. Like, Hela already couldn't have been his daughter. (Until he was made sorta kinda metaphorically her father by kid Loki's shenanigans.) But then sometimes writers will just reference some (monster) character being his child like it's no big deal and it's like wait, which is canon? Do I just choose to believe the ones I don't find horribly uncomfortable to think about? Cause that's been my method thus far.

About the Viking era design: I was actually a little put off by it at first if I'm honest. It's a cool design but it threw me off a bit that he looked so big and built, now that I'm so used to his new design. You're right he's a shapeshifter AND classic Loki wasn't exactly drawn skinny in his spandex, but I feel that not being a physical strength sort of god is a pretty big part of his character. But as long as he's drawn less mad fucking ripped than Thor it works for me. (Also I suspect a lot of comic artists either don't know how or flat out refuse to draw non-ripped guys, so... Sometimes I'll just apply my own character design choices.) Modern Loki, however... it really irks me when someone draws him super muscular/typical-big-gritty-comics-man looking. Please, if you have a character with traits that visually set them apart from every other character in your medium... I'd rather you lean into it than minimize it or take it away completely.

I do think he's generally been purposefully drawn to look not exactly handsome in the more recent past (from what I can remember at least) but now I'm googling classic Loki images and a bunch of them show his face not looking much different from any other comics faces except maybe narrower and the expression. Plus isn't there that silver age comic where he messes with Jane for the first time and she calls him handsome? iirc? Could be a disguise but I don't think so? I saw that (him being handsome) as something that was just sort of retconned/changed in later comics, at least definitely by the time Siege happened. But a lot of the time, unless it's super obvious, it can be hard to tell who in comics is supposed to be good looking or not...

And this isn't very relevant to the topic (unless you have a very strong opinion on Leonard Nimoy's level of attractiveness) but I saw some panels of old Loki with that hornless crown once where he reminded me so much of Leonard Nimoy lol, but now that I need it to show you all I can't find it.
    OMG Now I totally want him to burst out of Laufey like this LOL

Yeah, how do they broach this with Thor? Is it even something you would want to bring up at all? Especially since even if they feel bad for Loki going out the way he did, it's not like anyone there really likes Loki. Yeah, they tolerate him more, but they don't like him and he doesn't give them much reason to. I have a feeling that it'll work by them just getting into a straight hero brawl and then Laufey shows up and gets taken out quickly, either by Thor or Loki killing him.

Loki's children are one of those subjects that sort of depends on whoever is writing the issue and how they feel about it. Generally, World Serpent and the Fenris Wolf are his sons, but the situation with Hela is much more complicated. Either she is simply his daughter by Angrboša or she is a story kidLoki wrote up, which technically makes her his daughter...technically...

And then there's him saying that he has quite a few children with mortals. The only time I have ever seen Sleipnir being mentioned as being Loki's child was from a guide I found at a bookstore that simply said that Sleipnir was brought to Asgard by an exhausted Loki who didn't tell anyone where he got the horse. I've never seen it anywhere else but as a joke in interviews and forums. But until they make it explicitly clear that that horse didn't come from Loki, it's hard to think of another explanation for it.

His exact level of attractiveness is always changing. Personally, I think him being portrayed as being terribly ugly is something of an exaggeration in itself. Even when he was first being drawn by Jack Kirby, he wasn't that ugly or even skinny. Of course, he wasn't as good looking as Thor, but he wasn't that bad looking. His attractiveness seemed to be especially exaggerated in the years immediately before his death in Siege, which seemed to make his subsequent redesigns that much harder of a sell for many fans. Even on these appreciation threads, there was something of a long debate on if we needed a very attractive young Loki.

Of course we did, we all knew that, but it took a couple of years.

He is a very fanservicy character, but I don't think that's a bad thing. Why can't we have a hot guy character who is actually designed to appeal to young women? Straight men get that sort of fanservice all the time!

No quotes this time because I am sure otherwise i will likely hit the character cap... something i have only ever done in this thread. this is definitely an unusually verbose thread....

Birthday cake Loki - LOL! Probably a bit more fun to imagine it going like that rather than the alternative:

Though maybe somewhere in the middle is closer... so... this, i guess?

Aaron does like to include levity in serious moments at times (see above for Freyja and her badly disguised Strike Force team, as they undertake a task of utmost importance) so it's a little hard to say what route he'd take.

In any case, whether they go for the funny or go for the gore, or both, we need a panel, no, a full page, showing the faces of Thor and the Strike Force as they watch Loki emerge. No dialogue, just shocked wtf expressions.

Because seriously, what are they supposed to think?

As for someone telling Thor about Loki's death, assuming they manage to calm him down enough to tell him before Loki (hopefully) goes all chestburster, I think Cap or Wolverine would want to do it, and do it with some respect. Wolverine remember had at this point only just gone on an adventure with Loki, and while I wouldn't call them besties, I think he would at least realize Loki was trying to do good, and he also knows Thor, so knows that though it's a troubled relationship, he does care for Loki, and would want to know if something had happened to him. And Cap may not like Loki at all, but he knows Thor well enough, and he's a nice enough guy, to want to break the news with some respect as well.

Somewhat related, I hope Loki and Wolverine have a moment as well, to the confusion al all around them.

Regarding Loki's appearance - Yeah, I like him more on the slim side, I don't mind him being toned, just not, you know, ripped. But i do think the costume of the viking age loki is cool, and I love his ridiculously long hair. I like Loki best when he's being on the non-conformist side. He definitely gives off a vibe that he likes what he likes and he's just going to go with it. Which can come into conflict with his simultaneous desire for acceptance. He wants to be accepted by his family, but not at the cost of giving up who he is, and I think adopting some non-traditional costume choices, like the black nails and stuff, and not being all ripped (since both the Asgardians and the giants value physical strength and fighting prowess) or coming across as less masculine, helps show that.

And yeah, he started out just kinda... average looking. But as time went on he got uglier, to the point where at some point they decided he shouldn't have eyebrows, which always gives off a creepy vibe. Like, look at Marilyn Manson. He's intentionally going for a creepy vibe, and part of that includes shaving his eyebrows, but even when he's not wearing makeup and isn't 'in character' it's still creepy. And even when he was first revived as Kid Loki, before JIM started, he was less adorable little kid and more unsettling goblin creature.

and oh good, so I wasn't the only one to think that cover of that novel was offputting. But the book itself could be fun, so you know, whatever. I think them trying to make it fit with canon could be neat but from what we can gather from what was just released about it, i personally don't think it fits with canon... which is fine too.

But overall this seems to be a very good year to be a Loki fan. WotR seems to be setting things up as a catalyst to cement his face turn for the foreseeable future in a very high profile way, which I personally like, new solo spinning out of it, Disney+ streaming show, YA novel... lots of good stuff.

Extraordinary Member

I would not mind if this turned into a Spaceballs parody. I would be fine with that.

You're right about Aaron's love for inserting comedy into tense situations. I liked the Dark Elf disguises the strike team tried to make work, especially given just how fast they stopped working LOL

Loki would have added more stuff about eating babies and throwing Light Elf princesses off of buildings. Might not have helped them much, but who knows? You have to admit, though, Loki's absence here is sort of noticeable, especially since the entire time, you know that he's just being digested in Laufey's stomach. I know you didn't want Loki to turn into a damsel in distress, but just the mental image of that makes me want to get him out so badly. Of course, as we see in this issue, Aaron has a lot on his plate and keeping Loki out of it allows more time to be devoted to the other characters.

Yeah, Wolverine being the one to tell him would be nice. It would give Wolverine something to do and it would be sort of meaningful in its own way, especially given that Aaron really got his start at Marvel writing Wolverine. He writes a good Wolverine. Thor also hasn't seen Wolverine since he came back. I don't know why it makes me so sad that Logan hasn't really told a lot of people that he's back other than the X-Men and Avengers like Winter Soldier and Black Widow.

Loki's black nails are my favorite. It's such a little detail, but I love it when colorists and artists remember. It's also interesting how it's a detail that has sort of changed throughout his history. We really didn't see it until Coipel started drawing him, after which it's really stuck around. Of course, when Coipel did it, it was more creepy, while now it just looks like Loki is a guy who likes black nail polish. I'm still not 100% sure it is nail polish, but I guess we'll have to see if it survives the stomach acid.

kidLoki wasn't always a weird little goblin. It really depended on who was drawing him. Of course, there were those issues where he still lacked eyebrows. Coipel really liked not giving Loki eyebrows, which did up the creep factor. Also he was colored as being very pale.

It's a good time to be a Loki fan. And hopefully some of the new fans are sucked into comics proper.