Page 47 of 106 FirstFirst ... 374344454647484950515797 ... LastLast

I think the first brother was probably a fragment of his warning, which he then repeated.

And depends, he may be fuzzy on the exact time, or he may not actually live full time in Jotunheim, he may commute, and sleep at Asgard, which would be easy enough to do with the Bifrost. (when not out drinking and gambling, this vision would have arrived when he was locked up in jail, otherwise he presumably would have been in his own bed)

Extraordinary Member

If this is from the future, whoever sent it may have forgotten which room to send it too. I agree with Raye, Loki probably does have a residence at Asgard. No one is going to turn him away from that and Thor is keeping an eye on him.

I feel bad for that pun.

That being said, with all this time travel and whatnot, this Thor might be from a future with a different enough past. Maybe Loki was living in Asgard or will be back to Asgard full time at some point?

I don't think they would be setting up different alternate future this close to King Thor coming out, I am pretty sure that this is all the same future.

I have been checking the reviews and though it is early and not a ton of them are in the wild yet, issue 1 is getting very good reviews so far. A common reaction in the reviews themselves or comments seems to be people were kind of indifferent to the book going in, but upon reading it, they loved it. So upping the orders for issue 1 was probably a very good call on Marvel's part, since i think this one may get some good word of mouth buzz and have some people who had initially decided to pass on it go give it a shot, like happened with Immortal Hulk or Vision. Some people are a little confused about the status quo, and the deal with the bad future because they hadn't been following things too close with Thor/Loki stuff, but they seem to be enjoying it anyway. But I think Kibblesmith has some work to do explaining that aspect going forward for the latecomers, but hopefully not in a way that people like us who have been following Loki closely for years can still find it interesting.

https://comicbookroundup.com/comic-b.../loki-(2019)/1

also, solicits should be hitting tomorrow, right?
    Last edited by Raye; 07-17-2019 at 04:52 PM.

Fantastic Member

I thought it was hilarious, although some of the cutaways made it a bit hard for me to follow. Could be me reading it first thing in the morning, however. I liked his "voice" for Loki (def. on point here). Using the Norn stones to create a Snowman named Frosti, lmao. That is just the sort of clever and semi-sacrilegious thing Loki would do. Also, Thor just watching being all you are an idiot. I'm sure he's seen AI go wrong too many times with Tony, lol. (I am definitely more hyped for the second issue after this one, too. He and Tony really are so similar).

It's possible Loki was drowning his sorrows, as it were, but I think it's a bit early to tell. He was in a pretty dark place before in WOTR and being eaten alive would be a traumatic experience. Or he could be making mischief. Or both things. With Loki, it's often both things.

How hard is it to give the name of the guy who's going to destroy Earth? Huh? :P I do agree it looks like Loki was the one sending the illusions, just one from the future instead of the past. I guess all "Thor's" must have destroyer arms now, it's a rule (yes, he had the arm, but the fact he had two eyes was explicitly called out in the comic, so it can't have been Thor). So, it's looking like someone else (yeah, Balder) destroys the Earth, killing Loki, leading to...NecroLoki? I'm not sure how to connect those dots (because that is Loki, just crazy -- crazier.)

I was also looking over reviews and saw pretty much the same thing as Raye. People seem pleasantly surprised by the issue (unsure going in, come out wanting to read the next one).

Extraordinary Member

I think Loki's drinking is hard to really pin down. Over the years, Asgard has evolved into a very hard drinking culture. We saw in Aaron's run that Loki did notice that and I'm not sure it would be terribly odd for him to develop a drinking problem due to the trauma from Laufey eating him, suddenly becoming king, his public reception completely changing, and all the other past trauma. That being said, it's still too early to tell, so who knows?

Kibblesmith is certainly aware that this is a very important time for Loki. This is the first time where it feels like his status quo change from Siege has been cemented and safe. It feels so strange to have that sort-of certainty.

Also, did anyone else just love Loki's voice and him being like "Et tu, Drrf? I thought we were bros!"

well, i wouldn't call one night out on the town a 'drinking problem' I just think he's not as ok as he wants people to think is all. I don't think he's like secretly destroying himself or anything. Just, he's still hiding some inner pain/trauma. I think he's still a lot better off than he was in Aaron's run overall. But I do think Nightmare will likely bring some of that to the surface.

But yeah, totally want to see him and Iron Man now. I am betting Frösti is going to go nuts somehow and like Loki has to fix his 'programming' and though Frösti is magic and Tony works in tech, Tony IS an AI expert and may be able to help, and he uses his own AIs in ways similar to what Loki is intending here..... except he probably won't want to. But yeah, they are very, very similar in terms of personality, so the meeting will be interesting just based on that.

oh, btw. there is one other thing that is a point in the 'that was actually Loki' column... the cover for issue 3, where he costume lost it's shirt and he got more ripped. Take away the shirt and it suddenly becomes a sort of halfway point between his usual look and Thor's.
    Last edited by Raye; 07-17-2019 at 08:44 PM.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Raye View Post
    well, i wouldn't call one night out on the town a 'drinking problem' I just think he's not as ok as he wants people to think is all. I don't think he's like secretly destroying himself or anything. Just, he's still hiding some inner pain/trauma. I think he's still a lot better off than he was in Aaron's run overall. But I do think Nightmare will likely bring some of that to the surface.

But yeah, totally want to see him and Iron Man now. I am betting Frösti is going to go nuts somehow and like Loki has to fix his 'programming' and though Frösti is magic and Tony works in tech, Tony IS an AI expert and may be able to help, and he uses his own AIs in ways similar to what Loki is intending here..... except he probably won't want to. But yeah, they are very, very similar in terms of personality, so the meeting will be interesting just based on that.

oh, btw. there is one other thing that is a point in the 'that was actually Loki' column... the cover for issue 3, where he costume lost it's shirt and he got more ripped. Take away the shirt and it suddenly becomes a sort of halfway point between his usual look and Thor's.
    Well, the drinking thing does make his visit with Tony a bit more interesting. Even if it isn't as bad as I made it out to be, Tony is a suspicious choice for this, especially since he is a recovering alcoholic himself who has tried to help other characters, like Odin and Carol, with their drinking problems.

OK, Raye, you deserve a No Prize for that catch because you're absolutely right. That could well be Loki, which might be why the coloring is specifically off in that panel. Now, Loki has been implied to be basically ageless at this point, but the rules for that are probably somewhat flimsy and it would just be furthering his journey into being the new Thor.

Loki and Tony have a lot of similarities, but I don't think they have to actually try to make them as similar as humanly possible by giving Loki traits Tony has that he currently lacks, or vice versa. I think that would just serve to weaken both characters, they can share a lot of similarities, but they should still be distinct. Just work with the similarities that already exist just because it happened to work out that way. I still think it's likely more AI related and kind of wanting advice on balancing the two sides of his life, since I think Loki has always tended to focus on one thing to the exclusion of everything else, he's not used to balancing two aspects of his life so much.

ps. the trend of using metal inspired fonts for the Asgard books continues to amuse me. But I wasn't aware that they could flat out use the Iron Maiden font in a comic.

pps. I want more Old Norse and runic 'swearing' (he didn't actually, and i doubt they could get away with it because it's too easy to decipher especially if you were a fan on X-Statix and are used to deciphering Doop Speak, but it gave the impression that he may have)

Astonishing Member

Loki wasn't the only comic to use the font this week either, so did Jimmy Olsen #1

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Raye View Post
    Loki and Tony have a lot of similarities, but I don't think they have to actually try to make them as similar as humanly possible by giving Loki traits Tony has that he currently lacks, or vice versa. I think that would just serve to weaken both characters, they can share a lot of similarities, but they should still be distinct. Just work with the similarities that already exist just because it happened to work out that way. I still think it's likely more AI related and kind of wanting advice on balancing the two sides of his life, since I think Loki has always tended to focus on one thing to the exclusion of everything else, he's not used to balancing two aspects of his life so much.

ps. the trend of using metal inspired fonts for the Asgard books continues to amuse me. But I wasn't aware that they could flat out use the Iron Maiden font in a comic.

pps. I want more Old Norse and runic 'swearing' (he didn't actually, and i doubt they could get away with it because it's too easy to decipher especially if you were a fan on X-Statix and are used to deciphering Doop Speak, but it gave the impression that he may have)
    I don't think Loki is being made to be similar to Tony. Even if he is an alcoholic and a control freak, that doesn't mean they're terribly similar in other respects.

I think there are a few take aways from this issue. We knew that Loki would be trying to find ways to stay away from the throne, but the surprise is Thor's own fears that Loki will sacrifice himself, just because that's sort of what he always does.

Along with Loki's maybe-drinking problem, it certainly felt like Loki was in Thor's place and Thor was in Odin's place.

Astonishing Member

Thor must be afraid that next time may be the last time and Loki may not snake his way back to life as he's now done on several occasions. He doesn't want to lose his brother, at least that's what it sounds like to me.

I think Loki being drunk is more like what @Raye said. Loki isn't truly alright after the trauma he suffered. This is the first time I've ever come across him being "drunk" so it was a shock to me. He doesn't strike me as the kind of person to lose himself in a bottle randomly. There has to be more to that.

Yeah, i could see that. From Thor's perspective, Loki finally became (or at least is on track to become) the man he always hoped he could be, the brother he always wanted, so of course he wants to hang on to that. He probably also just assumes that Loki would naturally be just as happy with the situation as he is, but maybe not so much, and Thor may be kind of failing to consider what it took to get to this point.

also, I think Thor and Loki could have very different thoughts on what they see in the future here. This is just speculation, we'll have to see what is revealed in issue 2 in regards to this, but I think Thor may see it as a double edged sword in that the future shows Loki finally fully living up to his potential, and be happy about that... and then he dies, another sacrifice. Loki may see the 'sacrifice' as being him losing himself in the process of becoming a hero, that may be why they had him dressed just like Thor and all, and that may worry him more than the actual death part. But again, just a guess there.

Astonishing Member

I'm worried about Loki losing himself in whatever role he's in at any given time, I can only imagine how frightening and stifling that can for him. One of the things I've liked hearing is how Loki keeps evolving (can't remember the exact quote). He's never just one thing all of the time, sure the roles range mainly between evil and mild antagonist and now here's this new role thrust upon him. Will he live up to all expectations, good (Thor, Freyja) and/or bad (everyone else) or will he crack open like an egg and emerge once more in another role (not serious about that last part, especially if it leads to necrosword Loki).

Protector of Mortals Prof. Aegis's Avatar

Great first issue. I like Loki's voice. Kibblesmith seems to get Loki and his personality. I liked Frosti and how he is to be a stand in. However, I am concerned to the lengths Frosti will go to protect the realm. Plus Loki's anger and rashness toward Drrf is going to bite him in the ass. I do like the "Future" Thor and am curious as to see what future he's from and what is going on. I agree, I don't think his comments are referring to Loki. Seems too easy. And being Loki's book, I have a feeling Loki is going to have to be the one to fix the problem. Plus, It might be that Future Thor was looking to locate Loki to warn him of Thor or Balder, yes.

There was a lot in this first issue, in direct ways and subtle ways that is setting up some good stories already. Ugh 4 weeks to go!
    The Doors of Wisdom are never shut! - Benjamin Franklin

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Prof. Aegis View Post
    Great first issue. I like Loki's voice. Kibblesmith seems to get Loki and his personality. I liked Frosti and how he is to be a stand in. However, I am concerned to the lengths Frosti will go to protect the realm. Plus Loki's anger and rashness toward Drrf is going to bite him in the ass. I do like the "Future" Thor and am curious as to see what future he's from and what is going on. I agree, I don't think his comments are referring to Loki. Seems too easy. And being Loki's book, I have a feeling Loki is going to have to be the one to fix the problem. Plus, It might be that Future Thor was looking to locate Loki to warn him of Thor or Balder, yes.

There was a lot in this first issue, in direct ways and subtle ways that is setting up some good stories already. Ugh 4 weeks to go!
    That will be fun with Frosti lol

Especially since I feel like Loki might be underselling the Norn stones a bit. Also, those Frost Giants are totally going to figure out how to cut that axe in half.

I'm not sure if you can really say thay he was cruel to Drrf so much as he took advantage of the kid and put him in a situation he was in no way prepared for. Him scolding him later was just because he was drunk...which actually could be a problem if Loki's drinking does become more of a problem as his other problems get worse.