Page 49 of 106 FirstFirst ... 394546474849505152535999 ... LastLast

But this whole roles thing means there is an in story way for him to even HAVE a replacement. Without that in place, writers would be more likely to just revert Loki rather than replace him, better a replacement than undo years of character development. Even if I am off base about Balder, there is also Malekith or Enchantress or even creating a new character, but that they have set up the roles thing means it doesn't have to be Loki, that's a good thing.

Protector of Mortals Prof. Aegis's Avatar

Oh yeah, I completely get the whole roles thing and that Loki can work to stay away from the villain role, even if that role still floats out there. It creates great internal conflict and can have amazing stories. I do think they could create a new character or have another shift into that role, Balder for instance, where both Thor and Loki would have to fight against him. And due to that Balder has been killed so many times, was ruler of Hel, lost his love, seems to have been forgotten, and had enough of his own tragedy he could easily shift into the villain role.

And yes, I also agree that Loki's growth and change would be gradual. To make it just with a snap, it won't stick. Writers would be able to undo that snap and Villain Loki returns. But with the growth through stories such as JiM and AoA, there's been continued growth and change and added depth to the character that makes it more difficult to just throw him back to the simplistic villain role. Which is good.
    The Doors of Wisdom are never shut! - Benjamin Franklin

Fantastic Member

I agree with Raye about the general, broad strokes of fate being fixed with varying particulars, but I think that it sucks for the people involved (even those who end up in "good" roles), because they essentially lose themselves in the process. For instance, if that is Loki, he's so similar to Thor that current Thor thinks it's an illusion mocking him. That's not just having a general role that's flexible, that's the role warping you into a particular shape that fits it. Also, I don't think they'd introduce such a concept without staging it's overthrow. After all, the Norns are dead -- Aaron seemed to make a big deal of them now making their own fate, but that only seems true up to a point (assuming this theory is correct, which I think likely). If they're still bound by fate, I'd argue that the nature of stories is such that the protagonist almost has to fight against it, otherwise what's the point of the story (unless you're going for a deconstruction, I suppose). Essentially, if fate is fixed and we know what happens, why continue reading? This would be an interesting argument with a more neutral fate, but becomes more urgent when the fate is bad --such as the destruction of the earth. I do agree that Loki will fight against it on general principle, but I think he can also fit the role of hero doing so, while remaining himself.

So much of Loki's story has been about being not only better, but a better version of yourself. That's honestly part of why I love him as much as I do. I'd say I hope that continues, but like I said above, I think the story demands it (with a pseudo-sacrifice from Loki in giving up being "Thor", most likely).

Right, while I agree that losing yourself to a role would suck (and think Loki would think so too) i still think it's better than reverting him, because I don't think they'd do it as a finger snap deal, it will be time before he's lost in the role, and that gives him time to find a way to fight that. Like Riimi said, i don't see them setting this up in that way if they intended it to stick, this is something no one would want, it is kind of expected that he fight it. I don't think Loki would mind being tied to a role, as long as it was a role he liked, and it allowed him to accomplish the requirements of that role in his own way, retaining his own personality and style. But if it molded him into something he never had a choice in, i don't think he would be cool with that, and he'd want to fight for the ability to just, be himself. But I also think that between the choices of being stuck in the role he tried so hard to escape and this netter role... but lose himself in the process... I mean, both options have downsides, but i think the new role one is better.

Extraordinary Member

I think Loki would dislike both, especially since he'd still be predictable. It would just swing him back to villainy eventually.

Quote Originally Posted by Rosebunse View Post
    I think Loki would dislike both, especially since he'd still be predictable. It would just swing him back to villainy eventually.
    do you want me to hate you?
    4644476E-258C-4902-A0FA-5DB66DBF2E96.jpg
    I really liked this detail, on the last page then it also says that Loki may never have felt good in the role because maybe he is a god of something completely different from what is always proposed, and if he found that then the change from good to bad there will be no more need .

Quote Originally Posted by Regular man View Post
    do you want me to hate you?
    4644476E-258C-4902-A0FA-5DB66DBF2E96.jpg
    I really liked this detail, on the last page then it also says that Loki may never have felt good in the role because maybe he is a god of something completely different from what is always proposed, and if he found that then the change from good to bad there will be no more need .
    I loved reading this! I thought this was great and a small insight into Loki. And a some that I could relate to as well. Lol

I think Loki would dislike both, yeah, but I'm just saying that if he had only the two choices, I think, after he's tried SO HARD to leave his old role behind, that he wouldn't choose to go back to it, is all. But I do think he will try and find a third option. It's his way.

also, 'eventually' doesn't mean we can't have a lot of fun with him as a hero now. The MU, in universe, has only been going for like 15 years or something like that, (tho i know the sliding timescale does create some oddness in that regard) so even if he only gets like 10 years or so as a hero in universe, that equals like 50 in terms of publication. We'll never actually see him go evil except in flash forwards. i mean, assusming they stick with it. Though a return to villainy in the future would add a sense of tragedy and futility to it all.

Also, i loved that page, it let me know Loki was in good hands, and that Kibblesmith 'gets' him.

!!!!!! GUYS, GUYS! Look what was announced at SDCC:

http://marveltoynews.com/sdcc-2019-k...c-ghost-rider/

He gets a Kotobukiya statue in his modern costume! (well, sort of, it seems to be a sort of mashup of his Agent of Asgard coat and his torn up Thor coat. and I hope they find a way to affix a translucent sphere in the staff.) YAY!

Probably kinda expensive... judging by the others in the line, he'll likely be around the $150 USD mark, but dammit, I will buy it.
    Last edited by Raye; 07-20-2019 at 04:07 PM.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Raye View Post

He gets a Kotobukiya statue in his modern costume! (well, sort of, it seems to be a sort of mashup of his Agent of Asgard coat and his torn up Thor coat. and I hope they find a way to affix a translucent sphere in the staff.) YAY!

Probably kinda expensive... judging by the others in the line, he'll likely be around the $150 USD mark, but dammit, I will buy it.
    I'm salivating. I needs it! Dammit, Raye, why did you have to bring this here?

It's pretty nice innit? tho if i get it, i may have to paint his nails if they don't fix that missing detail. I have a Thor statue, but it's the kinda cheapo vinyl one, i may have to get the matching Thor and Loki pair both from the recent comics... But it's pricey, especially being Canadian and all.

also from SDCC, apparently they brought out Tom Hiddleston at the big Hall H panel, where they unveiled all the title cards of their upcoming projects, and he answered where he took the Space Stone... but I can't find any place that reveals what his answer actually was but here's the Loki title card:

curious about the mismatched letters, presumably it's meant to reflect how he jumps through time.

also, not quite Loki related but... the new Thor movie? It's Jane Thor. I think this is a perfect example of what Hickman was saying about why the comics shouldn't be trying to ape the movies, but instead just telling stories and seeing if they inspire the movie makers.

loki laufeyson, god of sick nasty logos
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

Extraordinary Member

It's pretty nice innit? tho if i get it, i may have to paint his nails if they don't fix that missing detail. I have a Thor statue, but it's the kinda cheapo vinyl one, i may have to get the matching Thor and Loki pair both from the recent comics... But it's pricey, especially being Canadian and all.

also from SDCC, apparently they brought out Tom Hiddleston at the big Hall H panel, where they unveiled all the title cards of their upcoming projects, and he answered where he took the Space Stone... but I can't find any place that reveals what his answer actually was but here's the Loki title card:

curious about the mismatched letters, presumably it's meant to reflect how he jumps through time.

also, not quite Loki related but... the new Thor movie? It's Jane Thor. I think this is a perfect example of what Hickman was saying about why the comics shouldn't be trying to ape the movies, but instead just telling stories and seeing if they inspire the movie makers.
    That logo hurts me soul. Who approved this?!

And are you sure the nails aren't painted? They aren't black, but they do look a little dark.

Well Damn!! Oh that is a beautiful statue. Yeah, I'll definitely be getting that one. I stopped buying and sold all my previous statues of all other characters. But that one is one I definitely want. Wow!

And where I like how the logo gives the impression of different times and places, it's a bit of an eye sore for a series title. Hopefully the final one will be one consistent font or that it will refer to each episode might have a different font.

I'm surprised you don't have the Lady Loki one. I have a Bowen Nightcrawler and a Wolverine mini-bust (bought many years ago) for nice statues, but other than that I usually opt for the cheaper toys/Pops or a couple vinyl ones. But definitely getting this, it's really nice to see his modern look being used in merchandise, even if it's the high-end pricey kind. It was frustrating to have every bit of physical merch be either older Loki designs, (but usually the 60's design) or the movie version. And I mean sure, nothing wrong with having some of the other versions out there, I have some of them. But we've had this version, more or less, for, what, 6 years now? and there has been nothing of it to have aside from a couple skins in games.

And that may be it, it may be a different font for each episode as he jumps from place to place, i could be down with that idea.