Page 54 of 106 FirstFirst ... 44450515253545556575864104 ... LastLast

He SAID it was for artist reference when he first posted it. Posting it on Twitter was a tease for us, but I don't think he is adding images to it just for our sake, it's primary purpose is still for the artists. It is common courtesy for the writers to find the reference they want, rather than rely on the artist doing it. It is the writer that knows what they want and are trying to describe, so they know what reference fits what they are picturing the best. Or they are visual thinkers and gathering images like this helps them iron out ideas. Things like this pinterest are common practice, (maybe not necessarily Pinterest specifically, but the writer will routinely dig up images) it's just the fans aren't usually shown them, the only other writer i've seen share this kind of thing is Warren Ellis, but I know most of them do it, sometimes in scripts in directors cut versions or whatever, you can see them refer to the reference they have gathered in the script, even if the reference itself is not included. I've had similar ones thrown my way to use. It's fun to check in on for hints of things that may show up later, but I wouldn't go looking for like, this kind hint.

And yeah, i can totally see why he would post pictures of those snowmen, there are a million different ways to depict a snowman, and he may have wanted something specific. though, either the artist disregarded the images or they decided to go in a different direction, based on what we saw in the book.

I just think you guys are REALLY reaching with this one. Like, a LOT, even if the end conclusion ends up being true. Which I happen to think it will be, I've always thought that was Loki, as evidenced by my very first post about the issue, but, just, not based on anything in the Pinterest. There is enough right there in the story to indicate that is most likely the case.

btw. it isn't a picture he linked to it was a Breath of the Wild walkthrough. in which case, it could be used as more of a 'feel' refererence, like, 'i want Loki to feel like he is in a game similar to this', kinda deal, and maybe there will be hearts indicating lives/health in the corner of the panel, or similar, and Loki will always be the center of the 'screen' and you're looking at his back, as always happens in third person games, and the panels are the same basic aspect ratio of a TV or monitor, i think you could stack about 3 of them on a page at a 16:9 aspect ratio if they were full width, so probably not something to do for very long, because it is not very ecenomical page use, but still, something like that.

It would fit with the Loki chess piece on there, like, he's not just sitting down to play a game, he's playing them but from the INSIDE.

And yes, I think all the game reference will end up being that Loki is playing games, like Nightmare's visions, or in the House of Ideas, or whatever, take the form of games, because that is something Loki likes.
    Last edited by Raye; 07-27-2019 at 11:27 PM.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Raye View Post
    He SAID it was for artist reference when he first posted it. Posting it on Twitter was a tease for us, but I don't think he is adding images to it just for our sake, it's primary purpose is still for the artists. It is common courtesy for the writers to find the reference they want, rather than rely on the artist doing it. It is the writer that knows what they want and are trying to describe, so they know what reference fits what they are picturing the best. Or they are visual thinkers and gathering images like this helps them iron out ideas. Things like this pinterest are common practice, (maybe not necessarily Pinterest specifically, but the writer will routinely dig up images) it's just the fans aren't usually shown them, the only other writer i've seen share this kind of thing is Warren Ellis, but I know most of them do it, sometimes in scripts in directors cut versions or whatever, you can see them refer to the reference they have gathered in the script, even if the reference itself is not included. I've had similar ones thrown my way to use. It's fun to check in on for hints of things that may show up later, but I wouldn't go looking for like, this kind hint.

And yeah, i can totally see why he would post pictures of those snowmen, there are a million different ways to depict a snowman, and he may have wanted something specific. though, either the artist disregarded the images or they decided to go in a different direction, based on what we saw in the book.

I just think you guys are REALLY reaching with this one. Like, a LOT, even if the end conclusion ends up being true. Which I happen to think it will be, I've always thought that was Loki, as evidenced by my very first post about the issue, but, just, not based on anything in the Pinterest. There is enough right there in the story to indicate that is most likely the case.

(btw. it isn't a picture he linked to it was a Breath of the Wild walkthrough. in which case, it could be used as more of a 'feel' refererence, like, 'i want Loki to feel like he is in a game similar to this', kinda deal. maybe there will be hearts indicating lives, or similar. Maybe Loki will always be the center of the 'screen' and you're looking at his back, as always happens in third person games, something like that.)

And yes, I think all the game reference will end up being that Loki is playing games, like Nightmare's visions or whatever take the form of games, because that is something Loki likes.
    It was just a random thought, I like speculating and thought that the board was hints in a more traditional way rather than gleaning stuff through artist's references. I still think Zelda is a bit of a jump from chess (for instance) as far as games go, which is why it originally stood out to me, but that might not be significant (and becomes less of a standout when taking into account the d20 set, which is also modern).

I know, I just think you'd maybe end up going down a path with that line of speculation that went nowhere, if every pin in there was treated like some kind of secret message to the fans, is all. I know I'm probably hardly one to talk about that, I know i go down some speculation paths that end up not panning out. But, just saying.

And yeah, chess and card games are different than video games, but the idea behind them is the same, they just aren't as tangible, and I don't see why Loki wouldn't be familiar with and enjoy them. At least since JiM, Loki has distinguished himself from most other Asgardians in that he is perfectly willing and able to adapt to modern things, rather than be perpetually a hundred years behind the times like Thor or some of the others. He has a phone, uses the internet, hacks computers, he talks Game of Thrones, listens to modern music, makes pop culture references, uses modern slang... is it such a stretch to think he'd play a video game? He's very much about embracing the now.

epic gamer loki laufeyson is the best puyo puyo champions player in all the realms

when will kibbles drop the loki spotify playlist
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

Protector of Mortals Prof. Aegis's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Snoop Dogg View Post
    epic gamer loki laufeyson is the best puyo puyo champions player in all the realms

when will kibbles drop the loki spotify playlist
    Okay, this has been on my mind for quite some time. What music would Loki listen to? Artist, genres, moods. Yeah, would totally get a kick out of seeing Kibblesmith put out a Loki playlist.
    The Doors of Wisdom are never shut! - Benjamin Franklin

I am not sure if that is something that should be answered, maybe keep it as something that the particular fan can decide. It seems everyone likes to think he listens to something they like, and would think something else would feel off to them. I like heavy music, metal, or punk, and I think that suits him because of its anti-authoritarian, anti-conformist, and rebellious overtones... (not to mention Norse mythology is pretty big in metal) like, pretty much just go to the last.fm link in my sig, and like look at the top artists, pretty much that. Would also accept some classical, or other older genres like jazz or swing due to his age. But some other fans seem to think he'd like listen to current pop, or hip hop or something, and if that was confirmed to be the case, outside of the odd Frozen reference, I'd be kinda disappointed, and I think they'd be disappointed if my personal faves for him were picked. I just think he's more individualistic than going along with what's popular. Embracing the now doesn't mean he also has to be a trend chaser and just liking what is popular. I mean he might if it also just happens to be to his tastes, but I think he'd like a lot of fringe stuff most people haven't heard of.

But absolutely no country, no matter what. At least not mainstream, could accept some bluegrass.

*edited to add though of course there are some things that kind of transcend musical preferences like Bowie, but I think that's a bit too easy an answer.
    Last edited by Raye; 07-28-2019 at 01:43 PM.

Thinking some more on this, I really don't think he would be into pop. I just don't think he would respect music that was overly manufactured and commercial, and I can't see that the themes of a lot of modern (like, talking 2000's here, not like Beatles and stuff) would particularly resonate with him. A lot of pop is squarely aimed at teens and 20 somethings, and while Loki may APPEAR to be a 20 something at the moment physically, he isn't really, so i think a lot of that would miss it's mark with him. Some older pop, the stuff that transcends genre i mentioned before, where no matter your preferred genre, you can probably agree they are really good and there are songs of theirs you like, might appeal though, in particular Beatles, Queen, or Bowie. I also think he'd respect how those bands in particular evolved their sound and presentation over time. On that note, I think he'd really dig Devin Townsend, who can run the gamut from (going from soft to heavy) this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=muNLqPPTuDQ to this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Xr83DFlzjU to this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YhcoLO8vZZU to this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Xr83DFlzjU to this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n-DKs0qfdEk and finally, to this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LeG-6bpeUkA he doesn't pigeon hole himself, he makes music to reflect what he feels, and what it sounds like depends on what he think the song calls for, and it can range from soft and ethereal, to kinda poppy, to ultra heavy, (and he has multiple bands and projects for different sounds, hence all the different names on the videos) and he doesn't particularly care how mainstream and popular it is. And I think someone like Loki would respect that. In general I stand by what I said before that he'd like a lot of stuff that was very fringe.

I also think he might find folk metal/rock to be something he'd like because it's sort of a fusion of where he's at now and where he came from. so, like folk metal in case you're not familiar is metal or rock but played with things like bagpipes or violins or accordion, or hurdy gurdy in the band, some also sing in old languages, like Eluveitie often sings i Gaulish. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TkbadvaMuXo though a lot of it is more Celtic themed than norse, but there are a few, such a Turisas that go more Norse, though there is less of a folky sound https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7woW7DmnR0E (yeah i know, they went road warrior for the video, but they do have a Norse theme) and Myrkur is more atmospheric black metal, (there are about a million metal sub-genres) but has some folkish elements. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9cNZQIzShc (fun fact, she actually started out as a pop musician, but then went metal. and she was in Lonely Island's Jack Sparrow video as Jenny) I really like folk metal, it's a fun fusion of the old and new.

But I do also think he would be into some older genres as mentioned before. Can't you just picture him in the prohibition era in some speakeasy chillin to some jazz?
    Last edited by Raye; 07-28-2019 at 04:15 PM.

Haha, yeah, I'm okay if there's never a playlist actually published as I'm sure you'd have so many complain or disagree with whatever type of list is created.

I do feel Loki would have a wide variety of music genres and styles he would listen to and appreciate, depending upon his mood. Yes, I can see him enjoying punk, hard rock but also classical and jazz. And even pop. However, with pop it would depend on the artist. If they were just like any other, he wouldn't care. If they set their own style, it would grab his attention. Music artist that go against the grain or even irritate music listeners would be artists that would gain his attention. Those that go against the grain...of the norm or of what is to be expected. At least I think so.

Raye, I laughed at your comment "Absolutely no country" Haha. Though, I can agree. Lol

Oh, I can so easily see him chilling in a speakeasy with a drink and listening to some jazz.

right, that's kind of my thinking. there are some good pop singers, that kinda stand out from the pack because they are doing something different, and those are the ones that stand the test of time, but they are kind of the exception. The scene is filled with a bunch of autotuned fame chasers who don't write their own songs or anything, and I just don't think he'd find that very interesting. He's smart, and I think he'd seek out music that was a bit more... challenging. Not necessarily super serious, but either because it had lyrics that were something more than just some love song or party anthem for the millionth time, or because it was complex and challenging to listen to. There are some popular bands I think he'd like, besides the beforementioned ones, he'd probably be into Radiohead and (early) Muse. The more i think about it the more i think he'd totally be a jazz snob because of all those unusual time signatures and all that. I don't know a ton about jazz, but I think it fits. But also, kinda the same thing with prog rock/metal, like Between the Buried and Me, and I think he'd probably also like some of the big instrumetal acts like Animals as Leaders of Scale the Summit, which are just pure technical mastery and intricate composition. He'd be into math rock, probably.

It's funny to remember, that as far as music taste goes, we've been told at least 2 things: he likes Wicked (nice), and likes Daft Punk enough to use it as a ringtone.

As far as beyond that goes, I could see him having a soft spot for the music Noh Varr was into, from his time with the Young Avengers.

oh yeah, Daft Punk actually makes sense. They stood out because they were unique, which i think he'd like. They've been many times imitated since, but at the time, it really stood out. coincidentally, came across this earlier today, which further illustrates their awesomeness: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lq-HfGTz6zM

Little by little, we get bits of the Disney+ Loki series.

"...which will see the God of Mischief hopping through history.

“It’s very, very exciting because in many ways it’s the character you know, but in a context you’ve never seen him in before. And if I say any more, I’m gonna say too much. So that’s what’s so thrilling -- there’s so much to explore that I haven’t yet explored. That’s very exciting.”"

It definitely seems as if there will be some good growth and development of his character through the episodes. Fresh start from end of Avengers (2012), and new adventures and experiences which will create new growth and character development. Where I want to know more about the series, knowing it won't be on for over another year, I'm good with little bits being dropped here and there. And it does sound like it will be very intriguing and exciting to watch.

I am assuming it is Hiddleston who said that? in any case, it sounds like it will be fun!

btw. I get my niece subscriptions to comics for her birthday and Christmas presents, one for each, and she loves them. (and she is severely dyslexic, so my sister says they really helped her with her reading, which she was struggling with. She's a smart little thing, but her brain was just turning everything into gibberish, and the context provided by the artwork plus the text being broken up into smaller chunks helped a lot. She was reading at a level several grades below her own around the time the subscriptions started, like still reading entry level picture books kinda deal, and she's now reading at her age level and can read novels too, so that's good, i am willing to pay a bit more for her presents if it helps her that much. and hey, her sister reads them too, so whatever.) And she seems to have a golden touch, I got her subs to Moon Girl and Champions right when they first started and they have both quite unexpectedly gone for like 50 issues, (though with a relaunch in there for Champions) I was seriously expecting it to be a one year present, but it's gone on for several. But it looks like they are both ending soon, Moon Girl did not have an issue solicited in last batch of solicits, and Zub confirmed on Twitter that Champions was cancelled, though it is still unclear if it is just being relaunched again. So though it may be a little soon to say for sure whether i have to switch to new books for her, (Moon Girl may just be delayed, and Champions may relaunch again. Though I suspect we are instead getting a Young Avengers relaunch as a replacement there, just a hunch) but began thinking of replacements. I always figured I'd just switch her over to Squirrel Girl if one got cancelled, but looks like that's out (though I have told my sister that the trades of that would be much loved by her) but I sent my sis an email with 8 potential choices appropriate for her, if the books really are cancelled. I also included a few sample pages from the books that already had issues out so they could judge the tone and characters etc. and she picked Loki and Valkyrie! I suspect part of that is that she knows i am a huge Loki fan, she knows damn well I have lots of little Loki toys around and a Loki t-shirt and stuff, and if i like it, it must be good, right? but she did like him and Valkyrie in Ragnarok, and i did give her Spider-Man, Ghost-Spider, and some others as options, too. But yeah, so here's hoping her magic touch will work with Loki and Valkyrie too. And looks like I'm paying for Loki and Valkyrie twice every month, and will have to go to the shop and pick up the first few issues for her, if they have them. We will have to see if Thor is a good fit as well, once Aaron leaves. (tail end of Aaron's run, really not a good time for her to be jumping in, until whoever takes over comes aboard) and maybe can convince my sister to chip in for an Asgard trifecta. But that will depend on the tone of the new Thor run. My sister inquired about Guardians of the Galaxy because she likes the movies and I mean, I love Donny Cates but I just couldn't recommend it for a 12 year old who is only familiar with the movies and was looking for a fun, kinda silly book, the case may be the same for Thor. And her fave from the movies is Hulk but... uh, it's good, but I figured that one wasn't appropriate for her right now...

Raye, that's awesome you sign your niece up for subscriptions. So cool. I'm so glad to know they've helped her to read as well!! Yeah it is amazing on how the format of the comics helps kids brains learn and develop in their skills of reading and comprehension. I've seen similar with my daughter. The images help to link to the words, the spacing of the wording and dialog doesn't overwhelm them, and kids actually learn words and meanings so much better. I love that she wants to read Loki and Valkyrie. Those are both good for her age. Yeah, I agree on GotG, it's not the same as the MCU right now. Maybe some of the trades from before with Bendis? And Hulk?? Well if she's into horror, then ya! Lol. Idk, that's a tough one. Sounds like you have it well in hand. You're an awesome auntie.

I think she will like them, if she does, i may see about getting her the TPB's of JiM etc. or at least tell my sister and parents about them so they can get them for her.

This is on sale for the next few days:

https://www.teeturtle.com/products/c...nt=30480149705