Page 65 of 106 FirstFirst ... 155561626364656667686975 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Isn't part of the issue that magic in the MU isn't really that well defined? You have dozens of schools of magic plus the general reality bending that isn't really magic but sort of functions that way. And, of course, you have different methods of storytelling and all of the writers and editors across the decades have different priorities.

Actually, it would sort of be interesting to see Kibblesmith use The House of Ideas and Loki to explore and sort of resolve this or at least comment on it. It's something unique to Marvel but it also makes writing for them a particular challenge. And imagine how difficult it would be for Loki to handle, since he might be aware of just how his very existence is tied to what other people, the writers and editors and dozens of others, want for him.

He's a character who wants change who's made aware of his limitations. I know this won't happen, but still, fun idea.

Protector of Mortals Prof. Aegis's Avatar

I wonder if he's never had his abilities defined to keep his character flexible for different writers. Yes Ewing was trying and getting there, but any other writer just uses Loki for their story and aren't limited by what he can or cannot do. Which works for them, but makes really understanding what Loki is capable of confusing.

I agree, hopefully Kibblesmith will be able to define Loki's abilities at least some.
    The Doors of Wisdom are never shut! - Benjamin Franklin

I mean magic has always been pretty nebulous at Marvel, as mentioned there are many different types and depictions of magic in the MU, and it all kind of blurs into an amorphous blob of characters who can do magic being able to do whatever is needed. But in Loki's case in particular think a lot of it is also because he was a villain. If he's going to appear over and over attacking the good guys with the exact same abilities each time, that's not that interesting, so they gave him a new thing every once in a while that would challenge the heroes in a different way. And his power levels fluctuated a lot depending on who he was facing as well. Powerful enough to give a challenge, but not so powerful he couldn't be beat, no matter who he was facing, so they fudged his power levels to match the hero.

If Kibblesmith gets into this i hope he retains some of what Ewing already established, mainly in regards to how his shapeshifting had to reflect an aspect of himself (though he could presumably fancy that up with an illusion on top if he wanted to) though since he mentioned Loki's now destroyed Seven League Boots as being the source of his flying abilities it seems like he will be.

So there's no preview out yet that I can see, but there is an updated cover on comixology.

So like... that status quo didn't last long But, in the solicit for 4, it said rebellion was brewing, so... odd. But it may be that he loses the throne and things go bad because of it, so uses the new time travel powers to go back and fix it, and maybe take it a bit more serious this time. OR it could be some kind of nightmare thing, but I am not sure how distraught he'd be about that, seeing as he doesn't seem to particularly like the job.

Also, I got Loki in city to level 50, finally (you technically can level a character to 50 in like a day, but I wanted to do it by actually doing the content rather than just getting power leveled. I'm more of a journey rather than the destination person.) and unlocked all the Incarnate stuff, and decked him out in purple enhancements (the most powerful kind) so he's pretty beastly now. Also, now that he's 50 he can do the Dark Astoria stuff. and, ok, so Dark Astoria was a zone in the game from the beginning but no one went there, so they revamped it as a zone focused around the new (at the time) Incarnate system, which is the endgame progression. I stopped playing before this was done, years ago. And the new DA it turns out deals with an ancient eldritch god, Mot, who is trying to take over the world and is in part doing so via nightmares that prompt people to commit suicide. Specifically it uses these nightmares to cause a great deal of guilt over past things they have done, and there is one character Scirocco who is a redside NPC and he's always had a sad backstory and he was kinda gray area, a villain, but noble in a way. Anyway, he's being affected by this, and it seems he's going to do a face turn. also in one mission I was inside Mot's guts and had to fight my way out. So that seems pretty fitting right now.

Extraordinary Member

Wow, that game's story really works well for Loki. Good for you, Raye!

If Nightmare does use literal nightmares to fool with Loki, I don't think it's actually losing the crown that would freak Loki out. Again, he's mentioned multiple times that the other Frost Giants could eat him and I think that alone is scaring him a bit. Plus he would have failed Thor and proven again that he sucks at doing things other than scheming. So plenty of nightmare fuel for Loki! But you're right, this is the perfect time for Loki to demonstrate whatever new powers he gets from the creepy Eternity kids.

And now time travel stuff: https://steamcommunity.com/id/RayeGu...11807988322188 I mean, it's Cimerora (ancient Greece) which i have already been to in the game, but still.

And one time. He said it one time, to Thor, and it was kinda half a joke. I really don't think that specifically being eaten is really a fear of his, despite what happened with Laufey, the comment was more about him trying to explain to Thor that being king of Jotunheim kinda sucks. I think he'd kinda be done with it if he could, but I think he realizes that the alternative is probably bad. Though I suspect he underestimates HOW bad. I suspect this may be why they approached him. The thing that went wrong that led to whatever future they are presumably trying to prevent may have had Loki as a catalyst, even if it is unintentional. Possibly him losing the throne is the butterfly moment that causes a cascade of events. So if he's the cause of the problem, he should be the one to fix it. Like, look at the cover, he's losing his grip on his crown, and falling into darkness filled with skulls. it says to me that losing the crown leads to death, but not his death, those are other people's skulls. Nightmare said that taking Jotunheim would give him a foothold on Yggdrasil, from which he would consume the realms in darkness. I mean, what if that was accurate?
    Last edited by Raye; 09-05-2019 at 09:56 AM.

I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

Extraordinary Member

I have a really bad feeling about that one lady. Is she going somewhere to find her wife or is she going to kill herself?

Protector of Mortals Prof. Aegis's Avatar

Yeah, I'm curious. I have a feeling she's on a mission to find her wife and get her back somehow.

The House of Ideas has endless possibilities for sure. Interested on the event/time frame on Loki being stabbed. And what do Now and Then have planned I wonder?
    The Doors of Wisdom are never shut! - Benjamin Franklin

Slightly disappointed they abandoned the 'e' naming theme for Eternity's Children, but the names do make sense if they govern over time specifically.

I am sure the story with Megan will come into play, and I liked the crack about demons in the MU stealing relationships, and I think she'll likely try and find Robyn again, but I am kinda more curious about what is shown inside the House of Ideas and the chess game.

Why is a statue of Thor at the center of everything with other characters orbiting around him? but oddly not Loki? why does Cap have Mjolnir while Thor has... a staff? Who are the other pieces on the board? why is Loki being stabbed with a shadow version of himself? (it's got the same kilt-thing on, at least) Kinda hope that's not a permanent new costume, but more of a dream-plane specific thing, I like his current one better.

Extraordinary Member

I think the statues represent ideas. For now, we see Thor because Loki is sort of a part of Thor in a way, thus the writer is thinking of him. Or Loki is thinking of him...I don't know, fun idea to draw?

As for the chess game-hate the costume-let us remember that chess isn't about killing so much as it is capturing strategic pieces as part of a larger game.

My theory isn't that Loki is killed so much as he's caught ny surprise.

Astonishing Member

Whoo! that's a fugly outfit. Hope it's only for that dream sequence or whatever it is and not something we'll see Loki wear ever again.
    Last edited by rpmaluki; 09-05-2019 at 11:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rosebunse View Post
    I think the statues represent ideas. For now, we see Thor because Loki is sort of a part of Thor in a way, thus the writer is thinking of him. Or Loki is thinking of him...I don't know, fun idea to draw?

As for the chess game-hate the costume-let us remember that chess isn't about killing so much as it is capturing strategic pieces as part of a larger game.

My theory isn't that Loki is killed so much as he's caught ny surprise.
    I mean it is the House of Ideas, but just saying they are 'ideas' is vague and makes it sound like they don't mean anything. The House of Ideas, ideas have power, it is where thought (of the One Above All) is made into reality, it's where fate originates, so the statues are probably clues of some kind, not just there because whatever. These ideas may not actually be made a reality, either because sometimes the plans of a writer (represented by the One Above All in universe) change over time, or because of time meddling, but I think it is probably more than just stray thoughts that don't really mean anything.

And the chess game, I mean I am pretty sure it's symbolic and he won't actually die, i'm not worried about that. But again, it means something, the pieces and what happens during the game have to represent something important, and the game has to accomplish something and have some sort of consequences, or there would be no reason to have him play it.

And yes, not a huge fan of the costume. Mostly i was hoping we would never see Loki in bright yellow gloves and boots ever again. with him and other characters that wear yellow gloves, like Dr Strange, they always look like dish gloves to me. If he got new shoes and lost the gloves it might be ok. but the outfit and situation makes it look like he's probably representing a piece in the game. I think he looks knightish there, though the opposing side has a horse as a knight, reflecting the chess piece being a horse, I'd say King, cus duh, he's king of the frost giants, and that could be representing him losing the throne, but I'd expect a bit more regalia for a symbolic representation of a king. A cape, at least.
    Last edited by Raye; 09-06-2019 at 01:14 AM.

Astonishing Member

I actually like Loki's classic look(s) with all that yellow (with full headgear and/or long hair) but I do agree about the gloves often looking like dish washing gloves which is a no-no. It's so ostentatious, lol. I have liked how Dauterman's updated some of those classic looks and often wish we could see them again but due to them associating heavily with evil Loki, I get the feeling we never will see them again.