Page 90 of 106 FirstFirst ... 4080868788899091929394100 ... LastLast
Results 1,336 to 1,350 of 1583
    Spectacular Member

Now the art is clear, Loki does look a lot better. I'm not sure if Loki is smiling on the last (bottom) panel or not. He looks like he's smiling. He goes from scared, confused, out right shocked, to smiling at something. The emotions!

Interesting though that Thor looks like he has aged somewhat, not by much but he does seems older while Loki still pretty much looks the same. Maybe the being the All-Father has added on some years? Figuratively speaking that is.

Extraordinary Member

I don't know if he's smiling so much as in shock that Thor either threw the hammer at him or because it stopped.

Yeah he goes from scared as it's coming at his face, then he's confused/worried like 'why hasn't it hit me?', then he's shocked that it's just hanging there in the air, like he's never seen that happen before (and neither have I, though it's not like i have seen every appearance of Thor/Mjolnir. I mean I have seen it hang in the air, but not in quite that way where it goes from being thrown at full speed to a full stop) and the final panel... harder to make out, but to me, i think he's like this famous photo:

less in response to Mjolnir, and more to Thor just walking by and grabbing Mjolnir before he can finish what he was saying. Like, 'really, we're not going to talk about what just happened there?' or maybe a very muted :-o like Thor just deflated his surprised response by being so blase about it.

Loki's reactions are easy, except kinda the last one, because they are understandable, most people would react in a similar way to that happening. Thor's a little trickier, since knowing his motivation, what happened just prior, would help a lot with the context there. Did Loki just walk in on him and he's just throwing it because it's Loki? or is he just throwing it at what he thinks is an intruder without knowing who it is, because Loki did what he sometimes likes to do and shows up unannounced by sneaking/teleporting in? were they talking and he's doing this because of something that was said? Context matters here, i think. That he is lacking an eye also muddies things a bit. The first panel I think could be read as either suspicion, (either 'hmmm... I have a theory....' or 'I think heard something...') or anger (that little ****, I'm gonna teach him a lesson), it's it's kinda walking the line there. Second panel looks more like anger to me, but could also be read as just a sort of determination/exertion sorta deal, and then we don't see his face again, but his body language in the final panel implies he had to at least on some level expect that to happen, since he doesn't seem surprised that the hammer is just hanging in the air as he casually grabs it. that may point to Riimi's idea that it was a warning, since obviously he would not be surprised if it was him that stopped it. but it might also be read as 'suspicion confirmed' In short, I still can't quite decide if it was Thor that stopped it's flight or Mjolnir.
    Last edited by Raye; 10-05-2019 at 11:46 AM.

Astonishing Member

I think the hammer stopped on its own. If it's a fake out from Thor trying to teach his brother a lesson, I feel Loki would react differently to it stopping midair. I feel like these two have been in this situation countless times with Thor throwing his hammer at Loki that nothing like this should surprise Loki and he looks very surprised, they are both experts but from the two different ends of the hammer and he's pointing this new-ish development to Thor, who probably thinks nothing of it in that moment. If it's not a fake out, that would be disappointing to find these two back at it again with the antagonism, however slight it may be in context.

Extraordinary Member

Dammit, I need more information!

And I agree with Raye about the small time-skip. We need to make a list of those.

Protector of Mortals Prof. Aegis's Avatar

Not enjoying how there isn't any Loki info still. Except what we saw on that preview page. Ugh. I want to know more....
    The Doors of Wisdom are never shut! - Benjamin Franklin

Spectacular Member

I don't think we're going to get much more information until Loki #4 is released which I have a feeling is a big one to set things up for further issues and to tie into Loki's role in Thor.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Prof. Aegis View Post
    Not enjoying how there isn't any Loki info still. Except what we saw on that preview page. Ugh. I want to know more....
    To be fair, this one preview is giving us a lot to work with. It's telling us that Loki will be a part of this story, that Thor is somehow changed, and this whole Black Winter thing or whatever it is.

This is certainly enough to help us have some understanding.

I mean, knowing he will have at minimum 1 page in the new Thor comic is nice, sure, that's more than he had when Aaron's run started... we went for years without him appearing in Aaron's run. Though there, it was because he was in Young Avengers and Agent of Asgard, so it's not like we were deprived of Loki overall. And after he did appear in Thor, after Agent of Asgard ended, I mean, it was no comparison which was better as far as being a fan of the character went, appearing every month vs appearing for a few pages every now and then with unclear motivations. So I think it's just disappointing that we haven't yet received confirmation that we won't be going back to getting scraps, even if seeing him in that page is nice on some level. We don't know that he will appear for more than this scene, or that the Black Winter will involve him, etc. We can speculate that it might be the case that he has a large role and the whole Black Winter thing involves him somehow, but we don't know that. And even if he is involved in that story, it's not necessarily in a good way if he is responsible for the Black Winter. On the other hand, the wording that the 'God of the Storm will be powerless before it' may imply a different god, say the god of lies, or stories or whatever he is now, might not be.

Quote Originally Posted by Raye View Post
    Preview is up: https://graphicpolicy.com/2019/10/03...review-loki-4/

I like that the whole 'biggest fear is that he was still dead' thing was just a fakeout. and glad to see Tony is back in the book, was hoping he would come back into play sooner rather than later. Suspect Nightmare may end up with an ANVL dropped on him. Also little Loki, awww...
    Called it (that part, anyway)

spoilers:
    so basically, Loki and Nightmare fight, but Nightmare can not find Loki's biggest fear or use it against him, because he's already living it, because he worries that he is just broken beyond repair, beyond redemption, so Loki says Nightmare should leave because they are at an impasse, neither one able to win. Nightmare instead attacks him with a stop sign, so Loki summons Jarnbjorn from the pocket dimension he keeps it in, and they fight. It looks as though Nightmare may win, but then that woman shoots Nightmare with that shotgun she went to her parents for, but it doesn't do much more than distract him. He goes to attack her, and then Loki says to let her go, but he keeps talking, about how futile this fight is and that they both know how it ends, with 'a proper hero' Dr Strange arriving or Iron Man or whoever else to kick his ass, so he proposes they fight as mortals. Put aside their godly powers and just duke it out, till the death, in a formal duel. winner takes back their original powers plus the others. But Nightmare has to turn the lights back on first. He (stupidly) agrees, and Loki tells him they will begin fighting as the clock (on the side of Stark Tower, counting down to the ANVL going online) reaches 0. so as soon as the counter reaches 0, Loki pulls out the phone he took from Tony, and tells it to start his car for him, the ANVL comes online, flies out the window and squishes Nightmare into a pudlde of goo. Winner takes all. Loki explains to the woman (sorry i forgot her name) how things went, sabotaged the car, stole the phone, etc. (tho how he knew he'd need those things right then is not explained) and he says that as a newly born mortal who had not done anything wrong in his short life, Nightmare went to heaven with the One Above All which is like torture to him, and Nightmare is furious at Loki. she then says that Nightmare had stolen her relationship, and Loki just tells her to go find her again, pick up where they left off. If they are soulmates, then they will fall in love again, and they'll still have the rest of their lives together, losing the time Nightmare stole won't be a huge deal in the end. After she leaves, there is a 'clank clank clank' as tony slow claps. Loki turns around, and Tony is there, all suited up in his armor, beside Thor. Tony says he called Thor on their 'avengers phone' and thor says Loki 'may have one soon enough' which Tony says 'you'll never touch one' but tony does say that Loki did a good thing, and doesn't seem upset that Loki wrecked his fancy new car, and Thor says that he was too hasty to scold him earlier, Loki is 'of value on Midgard.' Loki pushes the Avengers thing again, Tony's like 'no.' but then Loki says 'let's see what you say when i bring you the hammer' and tony says 'Now that i know you'll never touch. Except maybe with your face.' and they just kinda walk off kinda friendly like, which is nice. but then... we get a flash forward to the future, seen in the first issue, which is apparently taking place on a Mars colony, and Loki is not dead, and that little girl runs up to him all happy, and he tells her to run before he gets there, to destroy what's left of Midgard. 'he' turns out to be an Ultronfied Thor, who wants his hammer back. and the final caption says 'to be continued... in the future! A little sad it's Thor that went bad, but at least Ultron is there complicating things so it's not like Thor is just gone bad all on his own. Makes me wonder though if the deal Loki struck may have inadvertently caused this
    end of spoilers

so yeah, right about the ANVL, wrong about the identity of the un-father.

General thoughts, now that the first arc is over. Ok, first it looks like there is a discrepancy from the solicit in that the Jotunheim situation was not referenced at all this issue, so that's either been dropped (if cancelled) or delayed (if not) but that kind of relates to my biggest problem, and it's not like a huge one, but I think the pacing is too fast. I'd like a more leisurely pace to allow us some more time to see some character moments etc. and allow the stories to play out a bit more organically. I am a fan of modern comics and that includes decompression. The whole thing with Nightmare just wrapped up so quickly that it didn't really feel like it had quite been earned, or that he actually was a big threat, and if the Jotunheim stuff HAD been included, that would have been compounded, so I am glad it was removed from this issue. I get that Kibblesmith may have been worried he would not have the space to get to everything he wanted to tell, but still, i think i could have done without or delayed cowboy Loki in order to let the arc breathe a bit more and have it be the more standard 5 or 6 issues rather than 4 in this case, it would not have felt like unnecessary padding to me. Other than that tho, and the rushed art (the assist really helped at least some of the pages feel more completed in this issue, tho there was still some very wonky anatomy on some pages, and one panel, like, he hadn't even drawn in their faces at al, left it up to the colourist to fill it in) I've liked it, it's just that i want some more character moments and to allow certain weighty situations to breaths so they can feel weighty and important.

On the new artist front... also read Squirrel Girl today, and Loki was not in it sadly (even tho Kraven came back from the grave for a guest spot) had another thought, what about Derek Charm, if the next issue is just a fillin? Squirrel Girl is done in one more issue, so the timing lines up. Same editor, too, and he's drawn Loki during the War of the Realms tie-in, and did a good job with him.

Also, NYCC may not have had any news about comic Loki, or even anything from Hiddleston regarding the Disney+ show even tho he was THERE, but there was this, about that YA novel: https://www.geekgirlauthority.com/ny...-mackenzi-lee/
    Sounds like it's not really comic Loki or movie Loki but a sort of third option that takes elements from both, which honestly i am a little disappointed by, but it does explain the discrepancies when trying to pin it to either comic or movie continuity and it not lining up either way.

Astonishing Member

spoilers:
    Ugh, this looks like a brotherly role reversal. NOT WHAT I WANTED!
    end of spoilers
    Otherwise, I enjoyed the book and @Raye I totally agree with you regarding the pacing. It is rushed for whatever reason.

Extraordinary Member

So is that costume Thor wears at the end sort of the similarities to the one from Cate's book?

Spectacular Member

I'm not really disappointed on the Thor angle. I'm more interested to see where it goes and it's not like he's not influenced by anything. But It does seem there always has to be some kind of conflict between the two brothers which is disappointing.

Also does Loki winning against Nightmare mean that he now has his original powers back and Nightmare's powers?

It's sad that Loki might believe that he may be broken beyond repair though.

By the way is King Thor #2 out today?

At least there is a twist here, where though they will be fighting, Loki is also in a position of saving Thor, since clearly something went horribly wrong there.

Yeah, according to the deal, Loki should have Nightmare's powers now, which is kind of a big deal. It just doesn't feel like a big deal cus not a lot of time was spent on it, it was just like, one line of dialogue before the duel.

No King Thor today, at least it never arrived in my comixology subs.

Quote Originally Posted by Rosebunse View Post
    So is that costume Thor wears at the end sort of the similarities to the one from Cate's book?
    which costume? the one in the present or the future? In the present, that's just his usual look that he's been wearing in Thor and Avengers, don't think the new costume will appear anywhere until January. In the future, also no, I don't think so. spoilers:
    He's all Ultronized so his non-organic parts (eye, arm) are kinda mechanical looking, like Pymtron, but otherwise regular ol Thor. and he has a hammer with Ultron's face on it, heh. but it definitely means it's not the King Thor future.
    end of spoilers

Glad I wasn't the only one to think it was rushed. hopefully he can take a bit more time in the future. I don't think every story has to be long, there have been plenty of short arcs or done in one issues that I've liked, I'm sure the old west can work fine as a done in one, as long as the story is suited to it. but I think this one the events it's dealing with in this particular arc deserved a bit more room to breathe.
    Last edited by Raye; 10-09-2019 at 08:25 AM.

Extraordinary Member

I mean the one at the end. It's black, same cape, same look.

This could explain why Thornlooks so different in the different art we've seen.