Page 98 of 106 FirstFirst ... 4888949596979899100101102 ... LastLast
Results 1,456 to 1,470 of 1583
    All-New Member

That’s really interesting about the ravens, it would make sense with what we’ve seen with Odin’s behavior if they touch upon it. I’m gonna have to check that God Country book out I’ve heard of it but never read it I’ve only read some of Cates’s Doctor Strange. But it sounds like a really good story not to mention it’ll give me something new to read over winter break. The astral stuff does seem to make more sense especially if it looks like everything is going cosmic for the meantime, even if everything right now is just guesswork with the information we have currently. Yeah there wouldn’t be a doubt that people would be suspicious of Loki if Thor ended up out of it and I’m sure they’ll think something is up when he picks up Mjolnir. I wonder when and how he’ll get worthy; the reactions will be priceless when it does happen though. If Cates has a thing for creating badass weapons it would be cool if he made something for Loki to replace Gram, especially since it’s been a while and hopefully he keeps it away from Thor this time. Plus, I’d say enough time has passed that he should get a new one. That mirror to Mjolnir that involves the Casket of Ancient Winters containing the Black Winter sounds like a cool concept, two brothers, two kings controlling two different weapons each harnessing the power of storms. For the solicit I'd say it could be a mixture of those things because you have Thor whose hammer has the Mother Storm facing the impending Black Winter.
    One a side note in King Thor do you think after Loki helps out Thor he’ll take his chance to backstab again, he probably won’t though because he’s blind for one and only has an arm not to mention Thor apologized in the final pages of that heartbreaking moment and it looked like he accepted it before everything turned to black. I don’t listen to a lot of black metal but this is a great song I like the beat! You should totally make a playlist that way you can get into the zone while reading them!

God Country is great, and it's just 6 issues so it's like, get the trade and that's all you need to worry about. You can really tell when reading it that he wanted to write Thor SO BADLY, it basically IS a Thor story with some tweaks, so i think it's probably a pretty good gauge of what his run is likely to be like, in some ways. Though some of the Asgardian expies are different to the modern takes, Loki and Hela kinda got rolled together into one character, and the 'Odin' is the bad guy in it. But he wrote Odin much more sympathetically in Cosmic Ghost Rider, and he did great with modern Loki in Dr Strange, so though it was clearly a homage, and may be a good gauge of the feel of what his Thor may be like, i would not make one to one comparisons between the characters, even if they are clearly inspired by characters in the Thor comics. He seems to be pretty good overall at keeping up with recent developments and using them. It's actually quite similar in many ways to the Jane as Thor story on the surface. Sick person gets magic weapon that temporarily alleviates their illness, and gets god powers, while the god the weapon belongs to tries to get it back. But the themes are different, Aaron's was more about what it means for a god to be worthy of worship, Cates' God Country was about legacy, if you strip them down to their very core.

Also, I suspect, since he does seem to put connecting threads between the things he writes, that Venom, Guardians of the Galaxy and/or Silver Surfer Black may tie in. Maybe. Probably not in a 'you will be lost if you haven't read them' kind of way, but I am betting some elements from those stories will make their way into Thor. GotG had both Hela and Beta Ray Bill, and the stuff with Knull of course has ties to Thor already, via the Necrosword, which Cates made a creation of Knull, and the Grendel symbiote, which Thor smacked down back in the middle ages. So if you wanted some more reading, those may be something to try as well.

If I am right about Loki getting Mjolnir, and it being two separate stories with Thor off in space or whatever and Loki on Earth, I hope that is just the initial arc, which gives Loki some time to prove himself, then he and Thor can work together after that. Cates has done some short runs on things, like with Dr Strange, but I suspect he's going to stick with Thor for the long haul, since it's his dream project, (and not like it is in danger of cancellation) so probably safe to think long term there, and I don't think the premise for the first story will necessarily say what the run as a whole will be. I mean Aaron's run, which is probably the longest Thor run ever, if you count all the volumes together, went some hugely different directions at different points along the way, same with most other long running runs on books. And there is no reason to think Cates will be any different in that regard. so once this first story is done, however issues it may be, we can maybe have some Loki and Thor teamup time, I hope. Because I do agree, that Loki and Thor working together is super fun, and we've gotten tastes of that at times, but nothing that lasted for very long (I'm actually looking forward to that podcast thing because it is a Loki and Thor teamup)

King Thor, I don't think Loki will backstab Thor, even if he was capable in his current condition. I suspect the message will end up being that they are both at their best when they work together, and that all this time that they've been fighting with each other has been holding them back, at least that's where it seems to be headed.

And yeah, that's kinda the motive behind the playlist, it's just for fun, really, and helps me get in the mood. I know the others in this thread are probably not into the same music I am into, I suspect my tastes run heavier and weirder than many here, but Cates said this run was metal, so I'm like hell yeah. But i'm throwing some folk and other stuff in there too. tho a lot of folk is more celtic which, while cool, doesn't quite fit Thor, so... there's a couple, but not too many. vikings and stuff are much more prevalent in metal.

Extraordinary Member

Cates is doing something. The question is, how is it working with the larger narratives being pushed by Hickman and Ewing?

I'm telling you, though, 2020 is gonna be the trippiest year Marvel has ever seen!

Protector of Mortals Prof. Aegis's Avatar

I'm really curious to know what Cates overall story is with his Thor run. Just since we've been told that the change in Thor's appearance is purposeful and with the title of Black Winter. I do admit, I'm curious if it will be connected to Silver Surfer Black or his Venom stories. And definitely to see if he picks up on any of the Loki story themes...such as Loki wielding Mjolnir, or Kibblesmith's back story of Loki from the future trying to stop the UnFather. Time will tell.
    The Doors of Wisdom are never shut! - Benjamin Franklin

BANNED

Loki Producer Confirms "Huge Time-Traveling Component" https://comicbook.com/marvel/2019/11...y-marvel-show/

Extraordinary Member

The weapons thing is interesting. I mean, Cates probably just has a thing for super weapons. Every writer has their kicks and those must be his. But there are so many cool weapons in Thor!

OMG I want to see more cool weapons! Like what about a cool cross-bow! I feel like cross-bows don't get any love.

I think this was looking pretty likely that time travel was involved but nice to have it confirmed. I got Disney+ and watched the thing they are talking about, the article pretty much has it covered, but what it didn't mention is that it also showed the title sequence in action, and it is actually super cool looking and makes the logo make sense. Ok so picture it, black void filled with green mist, and a pulsating green light in the middle, and all around, a bunch of letters are floating. The camera pans around rapidly, picking up the letters of Loki's name from all the letters floating there. Once the name is assembled, the letters keep changing shape, the styles of letters we saw in he still image just scratch the surface there's letters made of glass, of wood, stone, metal, neon, cracked paint, paper, leather, ice, even floral print, you name it, it's there. So make of that what you will, but I think it fits Loki as a character pretty well

Still not sure what to make of what they revealed about WandaVision, that one looks SUPER weird. (but in a good way) but it also apparently ties into Dr Strange, so I suspect we may be having a sorcerer teamup in the next Dr Strange which could be fun.

Protector of Mortals Prof. Aegis's Avatar

I saw the Disney+ Expanding Universe and I agree, the Loki logo is actually very creative and amazing when you realize how it deals with time travel and who Loki is. The various fonts and the movement of them all over gives a bigger feel to the concept of the series. And yes, it is definitely something that cannot be understood with a single panel image. It is a visual that has to be seen in its fluid state to truly grasp what it is expressing in regards to Loki.
    The Doors of Wisdom are never shut! - Benjamin Franklin

Yeah, I thought it fit him really well, and it probably relates to the plot with the time traveling or dimension hopping, or whatever, and also seems to hint at Loki using his shape-shifting and illusions, which would make sense if he's on the run, i mean why look like yourself if (I assume) the Avengers are trying to catch you? Because I highly doubt that universe's Avengers will just be like 'oh, Loki escaped, guess we shouldn't try and catch him again' no, of course they are going to try and catch him again. This isn't the Loki from the main MCU that spent some time in an Asgardian prison and then kinda redeemed himself (tho, as Dr Strange illustrated, they still don't exactly like or trust him, his brother aside) this is the Loki who literally JUST attacked New York with an army of space aliens. We have some evidence now that he may have been mind controlled during that by Thanos, but the Avengers don't know that, and they are unlikely to believe him if he told them. So as they said, he's likely on the run, trying to stay one step ahead and disguising himself would be a big help there.

Loki makes an appearance on the Del Mundo variant cover for King Thor:

https://twitter.com/Doncates/status/1195006639734218752

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Raye View Post

Loo everyone is looking at the computer but Loki lol

And Thori, but he seems more concerned about that coffeea

Extraordinary Member

Folks, we're getting Teddy in the Incoming! event! We're getting Teddy! All men on deck!

did you post in the wrong thread by accident? But yeah, though we all kinda knew he'd be in it, cus of that silhouette cover but it was incredibly obvious who the silhouetted character was, I did see Jim Cheung post that page of Billy and Teddy

btw. back to what I was saying before about starting the playlist again, I decided to retire the old playlist, and start a new one for Cates' run, and decided to include a few things for Loki's bookthere as well, cus why not. May go over to that playlist Kibblesmith made and steal a few things from there as well. (tho not all of them, there were a couple things on there that i full on loathe, tbh) but the beginnings are here: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...l6bNYuxpaJ68vx though as i come back to it a couple days later i can't remember why I put Oblivion on there. great song, i just don't know why I put it there.

the old one is still around here: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...yi3b3AWHWQQAfF and goes through to the end of WotR, but it's also got a bunch of stuff tacked on the end that i was kind of bookmarking for futrure use but i never did end up using, so it basically ends with Krigsgaldr, and the ones after it may end up in the new playlist, or not, but enh. and I may re-use some of the earlier songs too because they're kind of too fitting to NOT use, like Twilight of the Thunder God.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Raye View Post

I love how Loki is staring at Toothbgrinder chomping on Thori's horns. I don't know if he's raising an eyebrow slightly at it or he want to throw the coffee he is drinking at toothgrinder lol.

I think that's the steering wheel from thor's boat he's biting. Either way, yeah, it's funny.

No preview has been posted that I can find which is kind of disappointing. but there have been some new covers released for the new thor run, Loki's not on any of them, but one seems to confirm Sif as Heimdall's replacement, which i figured was a likely choice to fill his shoes: https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EJXZM8eU...jpg&name=large and another, by the interior artist, again heavily features Huginn and Muninn and that hammer is DEFINITELY made of pure energy, it's not a solid object at all, I am 99% certain. Which means the real hammer could be used by someone else. https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EJgYx_0W...pg&name=medium