Page 31 of 85 FirstFirst ... 212728293031323334354181 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Tuck View Post
    I don't have an issue with broke Peter. (In fact, living in Manhattan, it makes more sense than ever.)

But if he's capable of patenting new inventions at will, has a billionaire best friend, a billionaire oldest friend, an at least millionaire brother-in-law, a rich aunt now (right? Unless JJJ Sr. didn't leave her anything), a girlfriend who should be rich unless she didn't insure her clubs, and a second family (FF) who are millionaires or billionaires, the idea that he should ever be struggling becomes absurd.

The problem is the hyper success of the supporting cast, not the idea that a late-20s guy could be broke.
    Well put, for the reasons you've outlined above. I think the desire to have a struggling Peter in spite of these factors is mainly driven by a desire to recapture the classic era of Spider-Man comics. Those in Charge of Marvel fail to grasp that Spider-Man will sell gangbusters without this crutch. In this day and age audiences tend to prefer characters who progress rather than regress or remain stagnant. I'd dare say Spencer's run is a nostalgia run, or at least has been thus far.
    Last edited by Celgress; 06-09-2019 at 09:34 AM.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

I don't have an issue with broke Peter. (In fact, living in Manhattan, it makes more sense than ever.)

But if he's capable of patenting new inventions at will, has a billionaire best friend, a billionaire oldest friend, an at least millionaire brother-in-law, a rich aunt now (right? Unless JJJ Sr. didn't leave her anything), a girlfriend who should be rich unless she didn't insure her clubs, and a second family (FF) who are millionaires or billionaires, the idea that he should ever be struggling becomes absurd.

The problem is the hyper success of the supporting cast, not the idea that a late-20s guy could be broke.
    I never really compared the success of Peter's supporting cast compare to him before. Hmmm its not a good look
    "He's pure power and doesn't even know it. He's the best of us."-Matt Murdock

"I need a reason to take the mask off."-Peter Parker

"My heart half-breaks at how easy it is to lie to him. It breaks all the way when he believes me without question." Felicia Hardy

Quote Originally Posted by Jman27 View Post
    I never really compared the success of Peter's supporting cast compare to him before. Hmmm its not a good look
    Indeed it reinforces Peter's image of being a perennial loser.

I want broke Peter. He's more relevant than ever in this era of increasing economic stratification.

They've just laden the lore with all this stuff that makes that hard to accept without ignoring a great deal of the last ten years.

But, I'm a guy who thinks they should wrap up timelines periodically and iterate.

Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    Indeed it reinforces Peter's image of being a perennial loser.
    maybe marvel believes Peter can't have too much success so he gotta be the perennial loser forever

"My heart half-breaks at how easy it is to lie to him. It breaks all the way when he believes me without question." Felicia Hardy

Quote Originally Posted by Jman27 View Post
    maybe marvel believes Peter can't have too much success so he gotta be the perennial loser forever
    I think it's clear they do feel this way collectively. One reason is they want Peter to remain relatable. Another reason is they believe Peter Parker's needs must be trumped whenever said needs conflict with Spider-Man's heroics.

Well, considering she was broke after the second club bombed, I guess she really didn't think that through .

You can't do a storyline where Peter goes homeless, no, but he's doing fine? He hasn't had a job for a year and got fired with no severance yet still lives in a canonically nice Manhattan apartment with two roommates and can afford a pretty affluent lifestyle of keeping up with TV, sports, and being a foodie (He is literally living like Nick Spencer, which is its own joke.) If he were actually struggling to pay bills, I'd get it, but he doesn't need to be airlifted out of middle-class. And he's the everyman, so that's where he should generally be.

Aunt May put all her money into the Ben Foundation and whatnot and has been doing online gambling and Mary Jane is carrying herself and Peter with Stark severance money.
    Last edited by Snoop Dogg; 06-09-2019 at 10:21 AM.
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

[QUOTE=Snoop Dogg;4399143]
    Aunt May put all her money into the Ben Foundation and whatnot and has been doing online gambling and Mary Jane is carrying herself and Peter with Stark severance money.
    At least something good came out of the Stark job for MJ .

I do wonder how long that'll last her in a New York economy. But it doesn't seem like either she or Peter are in a rush for work, which surprises me to some degree.

Money falls out of the sky for these people, but no one knows what an accountant is.

Money falls out of the sky for these people, but no one knows what an accountant is.
    Maybe Spidey can ask his Amazing Friend Iceman for help.

He can't right now - thanks a lot, X-Man.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    He can't right now - thanks a lot, X-Man.
    And didn't Nate/X-Man and Spider-Man use to be buddies back in the 90s when Nate first came to 616 from AOA?
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Mary Jane Watson from ‘Renew Your Vows’ by Stanley "ArtGerm" Lau

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post

Mary Jane Watson from ‘Renew Your Vows’ by Stanley "ArtGerm" Lau
    his art is top tier for me