Page 63 of 85 FirstFirst ... 135359606162636465666773 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Ursalink View Post
    Maybe... Maybe I'm wrong, but doesn't look like MJ is more muscled than usual? I mean, maybe it's the suit, but I can't stop thinking I'm looking at the classic version of She-Hulk (not the current form).
    I thought she looked more like Black Widow.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Well Tony got the crap beaten out of him by Thor and Ultron-Pym brought up Tony's sins during the first Civil War. So Tony's actions are never really forgotten.
    That Thor beatdown was so satisfying .

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Well Tony got the crap beaten out of him by Thor and Ultron-Pym brought up Tony's sins during the first Civil War. So Tony's actions are never really forgotten.
    are they ever going to fix Pym? Cause they made a wife-abuser and til this day they treat him as such? Like I know hes back in Dan Slott Iron Man but I do remeber Pym died in Infinity Wars
    "He's pure power and doesn't even know it. He's the best of us."-Matt Murdock

"I need a reason to take the mask off."-Peter Parker

"My heart half-breaks at how easy it is to lie to him. It breaks all the way when he believes me without question." Felicia Hardy

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jman27 View Post
    are they ever going to fix Pym? Cause they made a wife-abuser and til this day they treat him as such? Like I know hes back in Dan Slott Iron Man but I do remeber Pym died in Infinity Wars
    Yes and no. He's back, but still fused with Ultron, and Ultron seems to be the one still running the show. Of course, given that Ultron turned out as essentially the unfettered embodiment of Pym's own negative thoughts, memories, and impulses . . .

Going back to Mary Jane in those preview images for her debut solo, I figure she just built some muscle tone for her role, and she was shown exercising a lot in the older comics, so that's always a possibility.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ursalink View Post
    Maybe... Maybe I'm wrong, but doesn't look like MJ is more muscled than usual? I mean, maybe it's the suit, but I can't stop thinking I'm looking at the classic version of She-Hulk (not the current form).
    Actors and actresses hit the gym for roles...or avoid the gym and snack constantly. Look at Stallone between Copland and a Rambo or Rocky movie. He gave an interview after filming Copland where he said he kept having to explain his being flabby and out of shape.

Where the Diwatas and the Triumph Division live

Best real-world comparison for MJ would be Linda Hamilton who bulked up for Terminator 2: Judgment Day. Her arms were the talk of the town and goaded women in the gym to bulk up as well.
    Human Torch/Fantastic Four/She-Hulk/Disney Big Hero 6 /Tangled/G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero/Transformers G1 fanatic, Avatar-maker, and Marvel Moderator
    "一人じゃないから。" AI、『Story』。
    "ヒロ、お前を信じてる。" タダシ、『ベイマックス』。
    "You were my my new dream." "And you were mine." Eugene Fitzherbert and Rapunzel.
    "Knowing is half the battle."
    G.I. Joe.
    Know the CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ravin' Ray View Post
    If her spy feature turns out to be a rousing success she can then portray the role of Jen Walters in a biopic set in-universe.
    This would have been a funny moment for Pete to get Bobbi to talk with MJ about being a spy for research for her role.

I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

Are people collecting any of the Mary Jane variants this month? I managed to snag the Amazing Spider-Man #31 and Web of Black Widow #2 yesterday.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

Extraordinary Member John Ossie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by millernumber1 View Post
    Are people collecting any of the Mary Jane variants this month? I managed to snag the Amazing Spider-Man #31 and Web of Black Widow #2 yesterday.
    I got the Amazing Spider-Man one as well, I also got the Miles Morales one. I was tempted to get the Black Widow one but decided against it.

Quote Originally Posted by John Ossie View Post
    I got the Amazing Spider-Man one as well, I also got the Miles Morales one. I was tempted to get the Black Widow one but decided against it.
    Nice! I'm tempted to do a swag post of my two if I can remember. What made you decide against the Black Widow one?
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston

Quote Originally Posted by millernumber1 View Post
    I can't afford getting all the Amazing Mary Jane theme month variants covers despite wanting to.

As a Gwen and MJ fan I usually collect their theme variant covers when they pop up (and any covers that can be brought for under $15 or else needs to be so well made in every aspect that I'll not store it in a box with the rest of my comics but hang it up as a 'work of art or history' to be viewed by myself at times and maybe others).

I got all the Gwen 2015 Heroes and Villains theme month and when it was MJ's turn of those theme month variants when they came out. Those variants theme concept and ideas was a lot of fun and creativity fusing Gwen/MJ to a hero/villian version all possibly taking place in another dimension that we were seeing a window into. Showcasing fun, creativity, and thinking by artists and theme plus showed potential to create a spark of imagination in somebody to enter into those dimensions a make a story that was inspired by the art and the tone and 'the thousands words' it spoke to a individual. There was a few Gwen and MJ covers from that theme set that spark my character curiosity to whom these versions might be like and imagination fun. This theme and concept thinking I wish was applied more in the future for other characters in casts (other ladies in Peter's life/cast such as Felicia and even May for the fun of it all and what different tones and images and ways they could be shown and used by artists and the Multiverse)

This time however that same 'spark' from this theme month variants idea is not as great or numerous compared to the other before with the alternate Gwen/MJ heroes/villains theme. It doesn't push the same creativity and hooks in artist's minds to concept. Plus I'm very tight on money even moreso this time thus have to be selective on when I'm getting a comic JUST because of a cover or this case a character I'm a fan of on it theme.

I'm getting the covers of comic series I'm going to buy such as Spider-Gwen but for the rest if just getting a cover for the cover and not the tale I'm forcing myself then to a limit of 5 maybe 6 covers. Thus certina certina has to be shown in those covers:
    Art style
    Concept
    Learning potential
    interaction
    theme tones and capturing
    work/research shown and put in somehow
    overall execution.

Artists have different art styles and some I find fitting a certain tone or theme better than others or just personality beautiful to look at or as a person interested in art maybe able to look at as a reference and try to imamtaited come the future thus covers to learn art from. From line work, perpertives, and coloring styles and shading/highlights.

But beautiful art is nice but poor concept can make a great cover just ok or not memorable. Sometimes a artist whose style I normally don't latch onto will make a artwork from a idea and concept execution so well done and fitting I would love it. This case I'm looking for either fun/funny or actual interaction among the characters with MJ acknowledged and being acknowledged with personality between the two characters with each other and a sense of a comic scene and connection playing out in these variants or else must be so well made art wise and cover other areas I'm looking for.

A example of a cover in this series I'm NOT looking for is the Avenger's MJ theme cover. If MJ looks like she was just 'photoshopped' in a pre-existing made cover amoung the cast then it's conceptually uninteresting.

The Spider-Gwen cover has character interaction, BG perspective and visual height work other artists can learn from, and personality and recognition of the two towards each other. I'm very happy a cover I'm planning to get from a series I'm pulling fits my criteria.

Other covers that are in the running:

Doctor Doom (fun theme honoring a past movie using both characters well executed in concept with MJ a big part of the cover and recognition by the character Doom),

Amazing Spider-man covers (bit of a back and forth as I love #31 art style and feel I can learn from the coloring but if this wasn't told to be apart of the theme variants would I know that vs a basic Spider-man cover which this series will have a MUCH harder time to showcase it's part of a theme vs regular cover then other series comics in this theme month and concept wise is a basic closeup shot while #32 has a more involvement from the characters and fun showing concept for the characters with decent artwork but less learning from maybe which #31 provides)

Miles Spider-man (Fun lively looking art style and I like again the two engaging each other)

Venom (I LOVE the hard work and style of the art and craftsmanship of this cover plus granted MJ is a appealing woman and this cover showcases both the dark and liquid/fluid tones of Venom while also showing MJ sex appeal but still pushes beyond just her sexy looks to something more and the two tones balance each other forming a artwork of what would be a common concepts of MJ and Venom covers which would be uninteresting as we seen that before but the art style and capturing this MJ facial expression and framing/ planning good connects and helps push this into a work of art and posable something to learn art from studying it over).

Hulk (This one I found the most amusing in a style and fashion of the characters that made this super fun to look at. Doom and Hulk having fun covers and interactions and acknowledgments of MJ there for a characters and that light hearted tone for a series that is inside 'drama' or 'serious dark' nature just adds something appealing to the covers by that contrast)

Lastly for the beautiful and almost 'art nuevo' (but with visual representations of air vs nature) art style 'Auro' cover. Would not be on my rader as the two don't acknowledge each other like the covers I wrote above but that gorgeous art style and coloring I want to see with my own eyes on physical print vs on screen before I make a choice (art and coloring styles on a screen with RGB coloring and how we see it vs CMYK printing some comics art overall looks great on screen but horrible on print and sometime the other way around and a few both great digitally and physically viewing).
    Last edited by AngelJD; 10-11-2019 at 12:24 PM.

Love these kinds of thoughts! My own thought process is usually as follows:

1) Am I collecting the series already?

2) Does my store have variants available?

3) Is the upcharge onerous?

4) Do I like it?

For the two I got, the answers were - yes, already collecting, yes, they were at my store, they were the same price, and I liked them. The free digital copies with the original cover also helps me not feel like I'm missing anything.

Quote Originally Posted by juan678 View Post
    I love MJ Variants!

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by KangMiRae View Post
    I love MJ Variants!
    Same here!

AngelJD, I also like your thoughts on what makes a great MJ variant cover!
    The spider is always on the hunt.