Page 42 of 85 FirstFirst ... 3238394041424344454652 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member John Ossie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Man, this is pretty awesome. MJ finally in a leading role in her own comic .

The cover is pretty good too, with a surprisingly gorgeous MJ by Ramos.

I don't know much about Williams, but I'm hopeful she has a good handling of MJ and her character and I'm excited to see what misadventures she gets up to on her own.

Yeah, MJ as Felicia's partner in crime would actually be kind of amusing to see happen.

The other benefit of this mini? More MJ variants!

That makes sense. It's mainly a tie-in or expansion of what Spencer is doing, and I wasn't sure what they would do with the book past the Mysterio/Kindred stuff.

I am glad that the mini is focusing on MJ as an actress and not as a reporter/Superhero.

A short separation is good to know.

Definitely feels like a stronger point for supporting characters compared to the last decade or so.

On the positive side, if the mini sells well maybe they might actually consider an MJ ongoing?
    I'm not sure we'll get an ongoing but I'm looking forward to the mini and will definitely be getting that. Hopefully Williams will do a good if not great job with it. And I like the image we got with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post

by 2D Swirl
    Lovely art work.

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    Indeed. That scene where Mary Jane gives her last words, disguised as Melanie to fool Electro, was amazingly profound and spoke volumes for and about her character, which is something I think others at Marvel have forgotten or ignored for too long.
    Yeah I loved it as I thought that was well done by Spencer.

Astonishing Member

http://www.adventuresinpoortaste.com...ks-spider-man/

source I know its a interview about the Black Cat series but MJ fans should take this 1 thing

AiPT!: When it comes to Spider-Man’s romances, why do you think the Black Cat and Spider-Man dynamic works so well? Follow up, which is Peter’s one true love, Black Cat or MJ?

JM: MJ is the girl Peter should be with. I don’t think there’s any question there, they’re one of the great comic book couples.

But Felicia… Felicia is the girl he definitely, 100%, should not be with- and I think that’s much more interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Rzerox21xx View Post
    http://www.adventuresinpoortaste.com...ks-spider-man/

source I know its a interview about the Black Cat series but MJ fans should take this 1 thing

AiPT!: When it comes to Spider-Man’s romances, why do you think the Black Cat and Spider-Man dynamic works so well? Follow up, which is Peter’s one true love, Black Cat or MJ?

JM: MJ is the girl Peter should be with. I don’t think there’s any question there, they’re one of the great comic book couples.

But Felicia… Felicia is the girl he definitely, 100%, should not be with- and I think that’s much more interesting.
    When you ship Peter with both of them and stan them both.

Mighty Member

You know, when it comes to Ms Watson most media portrayals of her outside of comics have a lot of mixed feelings. Where there are plenty of Spider-Man related media where people can say THIS is Peter Parker, have we had any that capture the spirit of Mary Jane Watson to a T?

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by Mistah K88 View Post
    You know, when it comes to Ms Watson most media portrayals of her outside of comics have a lot of mixed feelings. Where there are plenty of Spider-Man related media where people can say THIS is Peter Parker, have we had any that capture the spirit of Mary Jane Watson to a T?
    IMO, the PS4 game is closest in terms of her spirit if not her role/career path.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

BANNED

Let me say that I don't think any version of Peter in any adaptation has been 100% the Peter of the comics. There are people who will say that and so on, but that's not the case. That's true of Tobey Maguire, Yuri Lowenthal, Josh Keaton, leave alone Tom Holland. I do think Chris Pine captured Peter well in ITSV but again only a part of it.

Mary Jane is a character who changed and transformed in the pages of Spider-Man so if you do an adaptation different people will want to emphasize different aspects. That's true for all characters.

Like Kirsten Dunst in Raimi's movies gets a lot of (unfair) grief even if in my opinion she was actually quite faithful to MJ in a lot of respects in the first movie. I am not saying there aren't issues (especially the second and third movie) but yeah, the upside down kiss in Spider-Man 1...nobody else other than MJ would ever do that. Gwen Stacy never would, Liz Allan never, Deb Whitman forget about it. That scene and moment is entirely in keeping with Mary Jane as a character in the comics and media. Nobody can take that away. I mean Kirsten Dunst is far truer to MJ than say, Emma Stone is to Gwen Stacy. I will also say Zendaya is quite faithful to MJ in other aspects, far more so than Emma Stone is to Gwen. Zendaya captures the MJ of Tom Defalco's run and that flashback, which said that she was a class clown in high school and aloof and so on. She's a more modern spin on who MJ would be if she started out today. MJ was a second wave feminist icon when she started. A poor girl from the sticks who didn't let the big bad city ruin her. A modern version wouldn't be the same character but would represent the archetype. So Zendaya does that, as a Daria-esque third-wave feminist and so on, more interested in activism and so on than before. Hopefully, she'd get Tom Holland Peter to stop thinking Tony Stark is the bee's knees.

My favorite bits of MJ is Zoe Kravitz in ITSV. That speech she gives in that funeral honoring her beloved. I love the MJ in the PS4 game, for me she's a perfect version of Ultimate Mary Jane, capturing her conscience and courage especially. MJ in Spectacular Spider-Man is great too, and quite accurate and fair to the Lee-Romita and Conway MJ. To me the two-parter where she first shows up and that last dance she has with Peter at the end of the second part is awesome. It's a high from which the rest of the show never recovers.

Mighty Member

I would say Spectacular Spider-man's MJ is probably the closest. PS4 is a bit more ultimate MJ imo.

Quote Originally Posted by Spider-Tiger View Post
    I would say Spectacular Spider-man's MJ is probably the closest. PS4 is a bit more ultimate MJ imo.
    The problem with Spec!MJ is that she was relatively minor in the grand scheme of that series. People can talk about her potential, but the bottom line is we never actually saw it.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Kevinroc View Post
    The problem with Spec!MJ is that she was relatively minor in the grand scheme of that series. People can talk about her potential, but the bottom line is we never actually saw it.

So I hesitate to sing the praises of Spec!MJ.
    Spec!MJ had her compassion, her courage, and her loyalty to Peter. And there were also hints in the show that she knew Peter's identity. Like I said that bit when she and Peter dance at the end of her introductory two-parter really spells out "this is endgame" like nothing else.

Weisman said that he wanted Peter and MJ to come together after having dead-end relationships and evolving them naturally. By end of Season 2, he nipped the Peter/Gwen into a dead-end thing that goes nowhere because Spec!Peter is emotionally unfaithful to both her and Liz, despite being warned about it by MJ.

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    Weisman said that he wanted Peter and MJ to come together after having dead-end relationships and evolving them naturally. By end of Season 2, he nipped the Peter/Gwen into a dead-end thing that goes nowhere because Spec!Peter is emotionally unfaithful to both her and Liz, despite being warned about it by MJ.
    That was more because Harry guilt-tripped Gwen into staying with him then being emotionally unfaithful.

Once he really realized he loved Gwen, they made plans to end things with their respective partners, and Peter did his part with Liz while Harry wouldn't let Gwen leave.

Mighty Member

I think, above all, Spec MJ captured the character's personality better than any other adaptation. That's why to me she is the closest. But yeah, I would also hesitate to call her the definitive MJ portrayal. We haven't really gotten that yet.
    Last edited by Spider-Tiger; 07-22-2019 at 12:44 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    That was more because Harry guilt-tripped Gwen into staying with him then being emotionally unfaithful.

Once he really realized he loved Gwen, they made plans to end things with their respective partners, and Peter did his part with Liz while Harry wouldn't let Gwen leave.
    There was an episode well before the finale, I think it's the Molten Man 2-parter, where MJ tells Peter to break it off with Liz gently and open up with Gwen. Peter on hearing this ends up thinking, "Wow, MJ is really pretty when she talks." I mean Spec!Peter is basically a teenage playa, he strings along Gwen and Liz and when MJ tells him to stop he starts making eyes at her. And MJ calls him out when he does that.

This was well before the finale and the stuff with Harry Osborn. Basically Peter left it too late and procrastinated. It wasn't Harry...it was him and his total lack of commitment. That's something the show did well. It managed the difficult feat of making Peter and Liz sympathetic and not letting Peter off the hook, which was a big step up from say, Peter gaslighting Deb Whitman so Mantlo can move to the Peter/Felicia romance stat.

In cartoons, Spectacular and 90s animated series were truest MJs we’ve had.

In the movies we’ve only had Kirsten Dunst who really was not a good choice for MJ in my opinion. Zendaya could have been great but she is clearly a different character. It’s upsetting to me to see MJ replaced with a new made up character when we still haven’t gotten a good MJ yet on film.

I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

As someone who imprinted on Spider-Man Loves Mary Jane MJ REALLY early in my comics fandom, I'm a bit more open to some AU versions of MJ, like Ultimate/PS4. Obviously, I have limits - I much prefer MJ to tend to be really winsome, but outside of that, I embrace Dunst, Spider-Verse, 616, SMLMJ, Ultimate, PS4, and more.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    There was an episode well before the finale, I think it's the Molten Man 2-parter, where MJ tells Peter to break it off with Liz gently and open up with Gwen. Peter on hearing this ends up thinking, "Wow, MJ is really pretty when she talks." I mean Spec!Peter is basically a teenage playa, he strings along Gwen and Liz and when MJ tells him to stop he starts making eyes at her. And MJ calls him out when he does that.

This was well before the finale and the stuff with Harry Osborn. Basically Peter left it too late and procrastinated. It wasn't Harry...it was him and his total lack of commitment. That's something the show did well. It managed the difficult feat of making Peter and Liz sympathetic and not letting Peter off the hook, which was a big step up from say, Peter gaslighting Deb Whitman so Mantlo can move to the Peter/Felicia romance stat.
    But he tried to commit to the right girl in the end, but it didn't work out because of Harry.