Quote Originally Posted by Kevinroc View Post
The problem with Spec!MJ is that she was relatively minor in the grand scheme of that series. People can talk about her potential, but the bottom line is we never actually saw it.
I do feel like this is one of the problems with the series being cut short; they tended to build the foundation of characters and work their way up. Even then what the character does has to affect Peter/Spider-Man down the line in some way to be seen.

With Mary Jane she had GREAT moments in her first appearance (i.e. putting Sally Avril in her place). They even expanded on MJ a bit by showing her interest in theater/acting; and even had nods to comics Gwen copying MJ's look to be more appealing. I can see how she could seem minor in the grand scheme of Peter's life in the show, as it seemed that she was on the back burner for Gwen and Liz.

I will say I do wonder where they planned to go with her. As while the show had MJ trying to get Peter and Gwen together (Liz even calls her out for it), they did establish that she was lonely at the end of the same episode, with Peter embracing his girlfriend, with Mary Jane off to the side. With Harry emotionally manipulating Gwen, and Liz off of the table I'm curious if Peter and MJ's relationship would have gotten more action. That said...from what we have of Mary Jane adaptation wise, I think Spectacular was the only one to attempt the "fun loving party girl" part of her. A lot of the time we see her past that stage in life.