Page 18 of 85 FirstFirst ... 81415161718192021222868 ... LastLast
    Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ursalink View Post
    Well, excuse me, but I don't find the funny. This is a very black humor if you ask me, especially for those like me who couldn't be next to a beloved one when it was dying (like my own grandmother). Try to be a little more sensitive, would you?

Oh, boy! Are they really going to adapt this story to the comics? Don't get me wrong, I liked in the animated series, especially when it ended with Mary Jane becoming Spider-Woman. Even more when her costume ended up looking a LOT like her own alternative future daughter's costume, MC2's Spider-Girl.

The problem is, I'm not comfortable knowing her powers came from the Carnage Symbiote. Some people said this was like Flash becoming Agent Venom, but there's a big difference. When you think about Venom, you see a dark twisted version of Spider-Man; but Carnage?, he's like Venom's monster side increased 100 times, plus red blood color. So, something good can come from Venom, but it's almost impossible to imagine it coming from Carnage. Even more when it's so bonded to Cletus Kassidy's blood that it can actually contaminate other host with its insanity. It gave me the creeps when I saw MJ as Spider-Woman turning her arms into the same weapons of Carnage; like blades, axes, spears and other things.

As Carnage Queen, Mary Jane looked like a modified version of the Spider Queen. I would read a comic of Mary Jane becoming the Carnage Queen, and then Spider-Woman; but the idea of being bonded to something so dangerous as Carnage, it would surely won't let me sleep. Like in "Renew Your Vows", it would prefer for MJ to be bonded with Venom; or even Toxin.
    I think it's just a fanservice cover, not necessarily representing anything that'll happen in the actual comic(s), but just something for the fans to enjoy. I should mention that Carnage in the Ultimate Spider-Man cartoon is derived from how the Ultimate comics handled the symbiote, as an experimental hybrid of Peter's DNA with the Venom symbiote, and Cletus Kasady never appeared in either. Probably for the best in the case of the cartoon.

And for what it's worth, I can somewhat relate to what you said earlier. I had a great-aunt who died while I was still in college, and in retrospect, I regret not being there for her as much as I could've been myself.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    I think it's just a fanservice cover, not necessarily representing anything that'll happen in the actual comic(s), but just something for the fans to enjoy. I should mention that Carnage in the Ultimate Spider-Man cartoon is derived from how the Ultimate comics handled the symbiote, as an experimental hybrid of Peter's DNA with the Venom symbiote, and Cletus Kasady never appeared in either. Probably for the best in the case of the cartoon.

And for what it's worth, I can somewhat relate to what you said earlier. I had a great-aunt who died while I was still in college, and in retrospect, I regret not being there for her as much as I could've been myself.
    Yes, I know. I collected almost all the Ultimate Spider-Man comics, and I know the nature of Carnage in it, without Cletus Cassidy. Still, it wasn't less creepy for it. In the Ultimate Comics, Carnage was like a vampire that drained life from its victims, leaving them as empty corpses. And worse of all, it bonded when Gwen Stacy after draining her essence. (At the same arc, we had MJ turned into DemoGoblin). And even without Cletus Cassidy, the second version of Carnage that appeared in the animated series was acting as if Cletus Cassidy was inside of it. The maniac laughs, the bloody deadly weapons, the passion for chaos... Even more creepy thanks to its contorsions, even knowing that there's wasn't a human host inside. A perfect Halloween nightmare! It was almost as the same Carnage from comics was in the animated series.

And about the other thing, I feel your pain, buddy.

Extraordinary Member John Ossie's Avatar

MJ as Carnage Queen could be interesting if it ever happened.
    Last edited by John Ossie; 04-12-2019 at 12:32 PM.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ursalink View Post
    Yes, I know. I collected almost all the Ultimate Spider-Man comics, and I know the nature of Carnage in it, without Cletus Cassidy. Still, it wasn't less creepy for it. In the Ultimate Comics, Carnage was like a vampire that drained life from its victims, leaving them as empty corpses. And worse of all, it bonded when Gwen Stacy after draining her essence. (At the same arc, we had MJ turned into DemoGoblin). And even without Cletus Cassidy, the second version of Carnage that appeared in the animated series was acting as if Cletus Cassidy was inside of it. The maniac laughs, the bloody deadly weapons, the passion for chaos... Even more creepy thanks to its contorsions, even knowing that there's wasn't a human host inside. A perfect Halloween nightmare! It was almost as the same Carnage from comics was in the animated series.

And about the other thing, I feel your pain, buddy.
    Having read this, I understand your position better. And thanks.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

For those interested, Chapter Thirty-Five of my What If OMD Never Happened? story is posted. In this chapter, the events of Spider-Island continue -

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/1281972...-The-Great-Web

If so inclined, enjoy
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

BANNED

I'd forgotten Foggy Nelson was MJ's lawyer in the newspaper strip...

Quote Originally Posted by Miles To Go View Post
    I'd forgotten Foggy Nelson was MJ's lawyer in the newspaper strip...
    Has that actually come up before ?

Extraordinary Member John Ossie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Nice art work.

Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    For those interested, Chapter Thirty-Five of my What If OMD Never Happened? story is posted. In this chapter, the events of Spider-Island continue -

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/1281972...-The-Great-Web

If so inclined, enjoy
    I'll be reading that tomorrow as I'll have time tomorrow, I'll also be able to read chapter 34 as I've not had a chance to read that yet. Been enjoying it so far

Has that actually come up before ?
    Four years ago, when that newspaper strip was first published?
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Four years ago, when that newspaper strip was first published?
    Foggy was in that one?

BANNED

Foggy was in that one?
    Yes, it's the same story, they've stopped printing brand new strips for the time being and are reprinting older ones, this one is being used to promote Far From Home as Mysterio is the villain of this story and is in the movie.

Foggy makes a mention of Matt being active in San Francisco, which was the last time he was seen in the strip back in 2013, it was in that story where he learned Peter's identity in the strip continuity.

Quote Originally Posted by John Ossie View Post
    ....I'll be reading that tomorrow as I'll have time tomorrow, I'll also be able to read chapter 34 as I've not had a chance to read that yet. Been enjoying it so far
    Thanks for giving my series a chance. Once you are caught up please leave a review letting me know what you think of the latest chapters (you can even leave one as a guest on the site if you do not have an account there). Like any author, feedback (both positive and negative) helps me improve.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

I really wish we had gotten more of Zoe Kravitz' MJ in Into the Spider-Verse.

Just from what little we saw I felt they got her look and voice down in a way we really haven't seen in an adaption in a long while, and after her speech in the movie it would've been nice to see her pay a more pivotal role then an awkward conversation with Jake Johnson's Spidey.

BANNED

I really wish we had gotten more of Zoe Kravitz' MJ in Into the Spider-Verse.

Just from what little we saw I felt they got her look and voice down in a way we really haven't seen in an adaption in a long while, and after her speech in the movie it would've been nice to see her pay a more pivotal role then an awkward conversation with Jake Johnson's Spidey.
    I agree. I found it nice that the film-makers gave basically the main moral statement and speech to Mary Jane. And the best part about the speech, she calls Peter "My husband". So yeah, no dodging the marriage there. Kravitz' voice acting was spot on.

But the movie is Miles Morales' story. And Mary Jane is important largely for Peter B. who is a supporting character in the movie. So I understand it. I do think she could have taken the role that Aunt May had in the movie.