Page 24 of 85 FirstFirst ... 142021222324252627283474 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Honestly, I would have just done it to begin with and cut out Ganke from Homecoming.
    Is this because it would have freed him up for ItSV?

Quote Originally Posted by Kevinroc View Post
    Is this because it would have freed him up for ItSV?
    When you put it that way, sure, I was just more thinking of just up and doing away with Peter stealing Miles' best friend .

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    spoilers:
    Is that even a big deal? MCU Spider-Man's secret identity is practically a joke .
    end of spoilers
    spoilers:
    Yeah, he got busted by Aunt May at the end of Homecoming!
    end of spoilers
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    spoilers:
    Yeah, he got busted by Aunt May at the end of Homecoming!
    end of spoilers
    Yeah, Feige really hyped up doing that scene to where them making it a punchline was either surprising or disappointing...

Quote Originally Posted by millernumber1 View Post
    I think there's also the fact that my generation of Spidey fans, the ones who may have come into the comics from the movies in 2002-2007 - aren't the majority anymore. Hopefully things like the video game and Into the Spider-Verse can change that, but it's been a while since something sorta close to comics MJ has been a major entry point for new fans (I know lots of people don't like video game MJ, but I love her. )
    I agree with you. Unlike other superhero stars (Superman - Lois Lane, Batman - Catwoman, Aquaman - Mera, Wonder Woman - Steve Trevor, Barry Allen - Iris West, Goku - Chi Chi, Vegeta - Bulma, exact) there has been zero consistency regarding who is Peter's main love interest across various media for more than a decade now, MJ's pride of place has been seriously eroded among the fanbase as a result.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

I think some of you are taking this too seriously. We see this everywhere Spidey is discussed. People talk their preferred ships. But when push comes to shove, the vast majority prefer Peter with MJ.

The Amazing Spider-Man 2 came out five years ago. We are long past those dark days.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Kevinroc View Post
    I think some of you are taking this too seriously. We see this everywhere Spidey is discussed. People talk their preferred ships. But when push comes to shove, the vast majority prefer Peter with MJ.

The Amazing Spider-Man 2 came out five years ago. We are long past those dark days.
    At the end of the day, Mary Jane remains one of the most profitable female characters in Marvel overall. And certainly the most in Spider-Man titles. None of the Spider-Man movies without her have, so far, made as much money as with her.

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    At the end of the day, Mary Jane remains one of the most profitable female characters in Marvel overall. And certainly the most in Spider-Man titles. None of the Spider-Man movies without her have, so far, made as much money as with her.
    To be fair, no matter how much we like her, her not being in something isn't really a factor of their success. The Raimi films weren't a hit because of her, and the Amazing films weren't a disappointment because she wasn't in it. Meanwhile Homecoming was successful and has their own version of her that many love too.

Though she is in fact one of several in name only characters in the MCU Spider-Man films. Ganke being renamed Ned is the best known, but we also have a Betty Brant who looks like Gwen Stacy, and both MJ and Flash, who are nothing like their original comic namesakes, were in turn renamed for the comics - Barbara and Sean in the current Miles Morales comic. Even Peter and Miles were arguably merged (his school is like comic Miles's), though Miles looks likely to show up later on, considering his Uncle Aaron was in Homecoming.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

I'm going to put the spoiler tag up as I don't want to risk spoiling anything for Endgame or the new trailer for others:

spoilers:

Reading about the MCU versions above and thinking about it I found it funny how MCU Peter's ENTIRE cast (even though everybody supposedly had a 50/50 chance) was snapped out and nobody lived for five years when the others was gone .

I think that could of setup some interesting and strange events. For example Aunt May wasn't snapped out thus when Peter returned to her she was older and was in such a state of depression (losing Ben and then Peter) it weaken her heart. Miles was a little boy during Homecoming mentioned by Arron. 5 Years later he's not. Same could apply for other characters we didn't see as part of Peter's Homecoming cast entering high school like Gwen Stacy and others who maybe wasn't snapped out and just as they were entered into High School everybody came back suddernly. The dating scene with a person born 18 years ago and another born 23 years ago but they are the same age. Any heroes that came about inspired to take up the mantle or just so happen to have an origin story when the other heroes/people was gone for 5 years.

Seeing that scene with Peter and Ned giving a hug in Endgame made me think how the possibility of if Ned not been snapped and when Peter saw Ned agian in the Highschool he's a young man that just became a teacher there. Thinking about how half of the people was gone for 5 years, half lived 5 years, life going on and age, some people moving on making a life then suddernly everybody is back can cause the Earth to have tons of confusion and instant changes people are unprepared for. People that wasn't snapped but died in the 5 years also so when the others returned the news they would get. All the chaos and everything that could be it's own movie with a cast of characters on the MCU world.

Going back to primary 'Mary Jane/MJ' of the Multiverses the MCU 'MJ' I like that she's smart and deduced Peter is Spider-man and says it so casually to him. Unlike how 616 MJ seeing Peter jump out his window as Spider-man one day by chance I prefer seeing characters either being told by the hero as a sign of respect and trust or deductions showing intelligence and understanding of the person knowing them (One of the reasons I enjoy Ms Marvel series alot was her strong cast discovered either by being told or by deductions and not random careless accident).
    end of spoilers

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by AngelJD View Post
    spoilers:
    I like that she's smart and deduced Peter is Spider-man and says it so casually to him. Unlike how 616 MJ seeing Peter jump out his window as Spider-man one day by chance I prefer seeing characters either being told by the hero as a sign of respect and trust or deductions showing intelligence and understanding of the person knowing them (One of the reasons I enjoy Ms Marvel series alot was her strong cast discovered either by being told or by deductions and not random careless accident).
    end of spoilers
    spoilers:
    Prior to that revelation, some writers in earlier issues had assumed MJ had figured out Peter was Spider-Man over a period of time and even had her admit to that in thought bubbles
    end of spoilers

Quote Originally Posted by Inversed View Post
    To be fair, no matter how much we like her, her not being in something isn't really a factor of their success. The Raimi films weren't a hit because of her, and the Amazing films weren't a disappointment because she wasn't in it. Meanwhile Homecoming was successful and has their own version of her that many love too.
    And the ASM films made their Gwen more "MJ-like," which worked out pretty well, especially with Emma Stone's portrayal.

At least with Michelle, for all my issues with her, she's pretty original in her own right even if that also means she's really not much like her namesake aside from some initials.

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    Spider-Gwen says hi. Call it a hunch but I bet SG outsells MJ by quite a bit when you take into account merchandise. For example, SG is insanely popular with cosplayers, party goers and children alike all of who buy her stuff in abundance.
    Last edited by Celgress; 05-07-2019 at 12:29 PM.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    Spider-Gwen says hi. Call it a hunch but I bet SG outsells MJ by quite a bit when you take into account merchandise for example.
    Renew Your Vows, which MJ co-led, used to outsell Spider-Gwen before they started messing with it

But let's not kid ourselves, Spider-Gwen is nothing like the original bland and outright dull Gwen Stacy either, which MJ will always easily eclipse.
    Last edited by Miles To Go; 05-07-2019 at 12:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    Spider-Gwen says hi. Call it a hunch but I bet SG outsells MJ by quite a bit when you take into account merchandise. For example, SG is insanely popular with cosplayers, party goers and children alike all of who buy her stuff in abundance.
    Well, cool costumes help sell merchandise...