Page 25 of 85 FirstFirst ... 152122232425262728293575 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Miles To Go View Post
    Renew Your Vows, which MJ co-led, used to outsell Spider-Gwen before they started messing with it.

But let's not kid ourselves, Spider-Gwen is nothing like the original bland and outright dull Gwen Stacy either, which MJ will always easily eclipse.
    Maybe so but SG outsells MJ on everything from posters to costume to figures.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Well, cool costumes help sell merchandise...
    Agreed, I'm not saying MJ isn't popular I simply took issue with the (obviously) factually flawed statement of the other user -

"most profitable female character" in all of Spidey related stuff

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    Agreed, I'm not saying MJ isn't popular I simply took issue with the (obviously) factually flawed statement of the other user -

"most profitable female character" in all of Spidey stuff
    Spider-Gwen has only been kicked around for six to seven years...call back when she has 50 or so years of profitability under her belt.

She's also still very much a work in progress, she has no real firm identity (Spider-Gwen, or Ghost Spider?), and her book isn't all that hot, frequently at the bottom of the top 100

Quote Originally Posted by Miles To Go View Post
    Spider-Gwen has only been kicked around for six to seven years...call back when she has 50 or so years of profitability under her belt.
    And by that time she'll have CRUSHED MJ in terms of profitability by even more at her current rate of growth. This is like saying Vulture has been around longer than Venom so he is more profitable when Venom has access to far more revenue streams than does Vulture, yeah, right.

BANNED

Spider-Gwen says hi. Call it a hunch but I bet SG outsells MJ by quite a bit when you take into account merchandise. For example, SG is insanely popular with cosplayers, party goers and children alike all of who buy her stuff in abundance.
    You need to bring your A game and cite figures. Hunches come for free you know. I have Brian Cronin and CBR backing me up (https://www.cbr.com/who-is-marvels-lois-lane/) though admittedly that's out of date and after Endgame, I am pretty sure Pepper Potts has become overall more profitable and without question the "First lady" of the MCU. Mary Jane was also in the very popular and successful PS4 game and playable there, far before Spider-Gwen is. Maybe we'll get more figures in ten years now that shows how trends change, who knows.

MJ is also quite popular in tumblr, twitter, and is a famous cosplay subject in her own right. But hey, good for Spider-Gwen.

This is like saying Vulture has been around longer than Venom so he is more profitable when Venom has access to far more revenue streams than does Vulture, yeah, right.
    Not sure if that analogy works because Vulture has always been top of the B-Tier in Spider-Man's rogues whereas Mary Jane has been consistently and regularly highly popular across multiple decades and mediums. Her first appearance in the cartoons was the 1967 Spider-Man cartoon in the third season in 1970 where she plays a niece of George Stacy while still working as a dancer in one of Kingpin's fronts. The joke is that Gwen was still alive in comics at the time and yet she never made an appearance there. Gwen's first appearance was in that alternate timeline in the last season of the Fox Spider-Man. Mary Jane was also one of two Spider-Man supporting characters (Jameson being the other) to regularly cameo and appear outside Spider-Man titles. She also appeared in the hostess cakes ads, in Superman vs. TASM crossover, and many others. Adjusting for inflation and all, time is on her side.

In recent years, Mary Jane was in the PS4 game which was the best-selling PS4 game last year and increased sales of the console overnight. She was playable there while Spider-Gwen is a no-show.

In either case I don't see Spider-Gwen's elevation diminishing Mary Jane in the slightest. Spider-Gwen is no love interest to Peter. MJ being a civilian and so remarkably popular and profitable is fairly unique for a civilian.

Spider-Gwen says hi. Call it a hunch but I bet SG outsells MJ by quite a bit when you take into account merchandise. For example, SG is insanely popular with cosplayers, party goers and children alike all of who buy her stuff in abundance.
    A Captain Marvel movie literally made over a billion dollars.

Spider-Gwen has a long way to go if she wants to be Marvel's most profitable female character.

Appearances, popularity, and profitability are three completely different things.

MJ does have more appearances than Gwen and Spider-Gwen (for obvious reasons), popularity wise they are probably neck and neck given the fanbases between them, but profitability wise Spider-Gwen is the far more successful "female" Spider-Man character, just by virtue of her merchandising boom and very fast wide appeal.

MJ being in Spider-Man PS4 isn't the reason why that game became the best selling PS4 game last year, just like how Spider-Gwen being in Into The Spider-Verse isn't the reason why that movie was so well reviewed and successful. They're both very high positives in helping the quality of both products, but if we're being honest with ourselves, they weren't the main draws.

Anyways, Spider-Gwen is aiming for a completely different thing than Mary Jane, and isn't competition for Mary Jane on the romance front. (The Spider-Man they intend to tease her with is Miles Morales, after all.)

I expect she'll eventually fall into the same kind of place Miguel O'Hara eventually found himself in. A popular alt-universe Spider that shows up every so often, maybe even getting another shot with a mini or an ongoing.

As I said, Captain Marvel is far and away Marvel's #1 female heroine. And with a film that grossed over a billion dollars on its own, she is ahead of everybody else.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevinroc View Post
    A Captain Marvel movie literally made over a billion dollars.

Spider-Gwen has a long way to go if she wants to be Marvel's most profitable female character.
    I said Spider-Man female character.

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    You need to bring your A game and cite figures. Hunches come for free you know. I have Brian Cronin and CBR backing me up (https://www.cbr.com/who-is-marvels-lois-lane/) though admittedly that's out of date and after Endgame, I am pretty sure Pepper Potts has become overall more profitable and without question the "First lady" of the MCU. Mary Jane was also in the very popular and successful PS4 game and playable there, far before Spider-Gwen is. Maybe we'll get more figures in ten years now that shows how trends change, who knows.....
    You have the audacity to say I didn't bring my "A Game" when the cited article is irreverent as it used data from before Spider-Gwen was even introduced, please. That is like citing data from 2004 and before to say Andrew is the costly hurricane to impact the United States.

Edit - My advice to you take a chill pill, relax and let others have their opinions including educated guesses.
    Last edited by Celgress; 05-07-2019 at 02:05 PM.

I said Spider-Man female character.

So, Captain Marvel is considered a Marvel Character not a Spider-Man exclusive character and is marketed as such.
    Last edited by Celgress; 05-07-2019 at 02:09 PM.

So, Captain Marvel is considered a Marvel Character not a Spider-Man exclusive character and is marketed as such.
    Carol has leaned on Spidey's world on more than one occasion.

Starting from the very first issue of her very first comic.

(It was amusing to see the FFH trailer have Spidey return the favor by having Peter name drop her, lol.)

Quote Originally Posted by Kevinroc View Post
    Carol has leaned on Spidey's world on more than one occasion.

Starting from the very first issue of her very first comic.

(It was amusing to see the FFH trailer have Spidey return the favor by having Peter name drop her, lol.)
    So have many other Marvel characters. Spidey leaned on the FF's world heavily during his early years that does not make him an FF character.

So have many other Marvel characters. Spidey leaned on the FF's world heavily during his early years that does not make him an FF character.
    You should take your own advice and chill out. Ultimately, these are all Marvel characters, and Marvel makes all the money off of them.

Really, I think you're getting too upset because Spider-Gwen isn't the biggest fish in the Marvel sea of female characters. Carol Danvers is.

As for MJ, she's still Spidey's perennial love interest. Spider-Gwen is a different thing.