Page 30 of 85 FirstFirst ... 202627282930313233344080 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Tuck View Post
    Peter's your average everyman.

And a multi-disciplinary genius.

Whose friends are all highly successful rich people and/or superheroes.

The only thing that could make him more down-to-earth is to add more superheroes and billionaires to his circle, clearly.

The level of suspension of disbelief it takes at this point to buy that Peter needs roommates and struggles to pay bills is absurd. I mean, it's informed failure at this point.
    MJ would need to have substantial private income to explain how she can live off her hectic career path .

Making Jane a superhero lead works because she wasn't really good as a supporting character, only being important in Lee and Kirby's run.

Spider-Man supporting characters are good supporting characters, and the supporting cast is one of the major appeals of the character. It worked with Flash because that was just really good, but right now that's a rare exception, not the beginning of an unhealthy trend.
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

...The level of suspension of disbelief it takes at this point to buy that Peter needs roommates and struggles to pay bills is absurd. I mean, it's informed failure at this point.
    A fantastic summation of the sheer unbelievability of the current status quo, bravo.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

if peter wants any of that stark money, he better haul his ass off to an avengers team, he's a spider, not a LEECH
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

Quote Originally Posted by Snoop Dogg View Post
    if peter wants any of that stark money, he better haul his ass off to an avengers team, he's a spider, not a LEECH
    That does bring the question of, technically speaking why isn't Peter (or any of the previous Avengers roster) still an Avenger currently? The U.S.Avengers and Unity Squad disbanding after No Surrender made sense, but not so much the core team, why did they do that again? (besides of course new writer reboot lol)

As for MJ as a hero, I think it works best in surprise doses, like when she gets the spider powers in Spider-Island or suits up in the Iron Spider in Power Play, because its a way of emphasizing her resourcefulness, and how effective she can be no matter what the tools she has to work with.

Making Jane a superhero lead works because she wasn't really good as a supporting character, only being important in Lee and Kirby's run.
    I thought JMS used her solidly as a supporting character. I haven't read much of the Jurgens run but she seemed fine there as well, almost to the point where I was surprised she was actually prominent there.
    Spider-Man supporting characters are good supporting characters, and the supporting cast is one of the major appeals of the character. It worked with Flash because that was just really good, but right now that's a rare exception, not the beginning of an unhealthy trend.
    And I think we see the issues with making his entire supporting cast based around Spider-Heroes in Ultimate Spider-Man and Marvel's Spider-Man.
    Plus, he's not MCU Peter. He doesn't need Starks money .
    Quote Originally Posted by Inversed View Post
    That does bring the question of, technically speaking why isn't Peter (or any of the previous Avengers roster) still an Avenger currently? The U.S.Avengers and Unity Squad disbanding after No Surrender made sense, but not so much the core team, why did they do that again? (besides of course new writer reboot lol)
    Why would Peter still want to be on that team? Pretty much all of his teammates treated him like dirt and seemed to dislike him for the most marginal of reasons. It was probably healthier for him that he got out of there when he did.
    As for MJ as a hero, I think it works best in surprise doses, like when she gets the spider powers in Spider-Island or suits up in the Iron Spider in Power Play, because its a way of emphasizing her resourcefulness, and how effective she can be no matter what the tools she has to work with.
    Although I think that resourcefulness comes off more prominently when she does it without a costume.

I also think the argument could be made either way about whether MJ would actually want to be a Superhero. I lean towards the side where she probably wouldn't.

I hate having Peter with the Avengers for too long, he's above them in every way and it's exhausting seeing writers make it so everyone on the team dislike him to a point where it's honestly OOC or strange that they'd detest him like he's Deadpool.

I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    And I think we see the issues with making his entire supporting cast based around Spider-Heroes in Ultimate Spider-Man and Marvel's Spider-Man.
    How do you mean?
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

Quote Originally Posted by millernumber1 View Post
    How do you mean?
    The Spider-Heroes either get reduced down to being Spider-Sidekicks to Peter and the show's don't seem to know how to juggle them all that well, and the only significant character development they get is "receives powers and costumes" and that's it.

(I'm talking about the cartoons by the way).

The Spider-Heroes either get reduced down to being Spider-Sidekicks to Peter and the show's don't seem to know how to juggle them all that well, and the only significant character development they get is "receives powers and costumes" and that's it.

(I'm talking about the cartoons by the way).
    Ah. I haven't watch the cartoons - I just read the Bendis book.

As for the PS4 game, I think it makes sense for the game to give you Peter as the main character, and the others as sidekicks in the first game, and then branch out in the next ones.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston

Quote Originally Posted by millernumber1 View Post
    Ah. I haven't watch the cartoons - I just read the Bendis book.

As for the PS4 game, I think it makes sense for the game to give you Peter as the main character, and the others as sidekicks in the first game, and then branch out in the next ones.
    I think the PS4 game handled it the best. It didn't introduce a bunch of other Spider-Heroes, just Miles, and it handled it in more of a DC way then a Marvel way.

Miles even comes off more like Wally West/Dick Grayson then he does comic Miles in my opinion.

I think the PS4 game handled it the best. It didn't introduce a bunch of other Spider-Heroes, just Miles, and it handled it in more of a DC way then a Marvel way.

Miles even comes off more like Wally West/Dick Grayson then he does comic Miles in my opinion.
    (I just hope they don't kill off Peter in the second game...)

Quote Originally Posted by Inversed View Post
    All three teams disbanding made sense. Here's why:

U.S.Avengers: Red Hulk was depowered, and Enigma's armor was destroyed (she later became POD 2). Sunspot decided to return to the X-Men and Toni Ho took over the non-villainous side of AIM, which became RESCUE. The team was effectively down to just Cannonball, who has since joined X-Force, and Squirrel Girl.
    Unity Squad: Human Torch would've left soon after anyway because the F4 came back. Quicksilver was gone, so Scarlet Witch, Doctor Voodoo, and Synapse went off to rescue him (turns out he didn't need rescuing, natch). Rogue and Beast returned to the X-Men. They were down to just Wasp and Wonder Man.
    Waid's team: Thor would've left the team immediately afterwards anyway, as Death of the Mighty Thor was published at the same time as No Surrender. She was depowered. Nadia had joined the Champions at the end of the Worlds Collide crossover. And Vision was in the repair shop, having been smashed by the Hulk. The team, therefore, was down to just Falcon and Hercules. Spider-Man didn't participate in No Surrender. Having cost the team their HQ, his purpose with the team was redundant.

With all three teams down to two members each, none of them were viable any more.
    Last edited by Digifiend; 06-09-2019 at 05:46 AM.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Peter's your average everyman.

And a multi-disciplinary genius.

Whose friends are all highly successful rich people and/or superheroes.

The only thing that could make him more down-to-earth is to add more superheroes and billionaires to his circle, clearly.

The level of suspension of disbelief it takes at this point to buy that Peter needs roommates and struggles to pay bills is absurd. I mean, it's informed failure at this point.
    thank you the character has been around for 56 years and he still struggling to get a paycheck it makes no sense. When will writers stop making money an issue for Peter Parker?
    "He's pure power and doesn't even know it. He's the best of us."-Matt Murdock

"I need a reason to take the mask off."-Peter Parker

"My heart half-breaks at how easy it is to lie to him. It breaks all the way when he believes me without question." Felicia Hardy

Quote Originally Posted by Jman27 View Post
    thank you the character has been around for 56 years and he still struggling to get a paycheck it makes no sense. When will writers stop making money an issue for Peter Parker?
    I don't have an issue with broke Peter. (In fact, living in Manhattan, it makes more sense than ever.)

But if he's capable of patenting new inventions at will, has a billionaire best friend, a billionaire oldest friend, an at least millionaire brother-in-law, a rich aunt now (right? Unless JJJ Sr. didn't leave her anything), a girlfriend who should be rich unless she didn't insure her clubs, and a second family (FF) who are millionaires or billionaires, the idea that he should ever be struggling becomes absurd.

The problem is the hyper success of the supporting cast, not the idea that a late-20s guy could be broke.