Page 34 of 85 FirstFirst ... 243031323334353637384484 ... LastLast

Zendaya, and the Far From Home marketing team, know what they're doing.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by WebSlingWonder View Post
    No, no, no: you've got it completely wrong. "The real Spider-Man" isn't about tech and gadgets: it's about heart, sacrifice, pain, love, and joy. Does Holland embody that? Maybe, maybe not (he's also had one movie, soon to be two).
    Tobey Maguire embodied Spider-Man right from say the first 10 minutes or so of Raimi's Spider-Man 1, so I don't think that "he's only had one movie" works as an excuse. Because movies are supposed to distill the essence of multiple aspects of the character and story. In ITSV, we had two versions of Peter both of whom embodied the character in their limited screentime despite being supporting figures, and one of them being blonde and the other on the Thor Endgame diet.

Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    That's what I disliked most about the Spider-Man we saw during Homecoming. Peter shouldn't need Tony Stark, or anyone else, to be Spider-Man for better or worse he would rely on himself.
    The MCU Spider-Man is a patched-in franchise integrated in a rush. He was introduced in CIVIL WAR late into production because the Sony deal happened. And he was cast quickly. The whole Peter and Tony Stark thing is pure brand and marketing politics than anything. Since Tony Stark is the protagonist of the MCU, and the big name actor, it has to be him who more or less teams up with and interacts with Spider-Man since that's what Sony wanted out of it.

So I think from the beginning there wasn't a lot of deep thought about how Spider-Man really fit inside the MCU. Spider-Man starts out as a high school teenager but in CIVIL WAR in the airport battle, the Russos couldn't hesitate to not feature an iconic version of Spider-Man in combat so he actually comes across as extremely capable and special. But then Jon Watts, a director of limited visual imagination, is commissioned to do a John Hughes Spider-Man movie (never mind that John Hughes movies, as Molly Ringwald herself has said, have dated poorly), so he reshot huge chunks of that to make Peter come across as more moronic than the Russos showed him at the start. Peter getting his most famous costume from Tony is now handwaved with "Poor people can't sew clothes" and it gets dumber and dumber from there. The whole high school and millennial thing meant they raided Miles Morales for material which just comes off looking like vampirically sucking off a legacy character in the way DC have thrown Wally West under the bus for the deeply inferior Barry Allen.

Two things here, Revolutionary_Jack:
    - You always undercut my points, and it's getting on my damn nerves
    - Second, you say it's not an excuse while presenting a subjective view that Maguire embodied Parker in 10 minutes. That's subjective. I could say something similar about Peter during "Civil War" with his great power monologue. Would I be objective? Not really. So that doesn't work for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    That's what I disliked most about the Spider-Man we saw during Homecoming. Peter shouldn't need Tony Stark, or anyone else, to be Spider-Man for better or worse he would rely on himself.
    No man is an island. That includes Spider-Man.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by WebSlingWonder View Post
    Two things here, Revolutionary_Jack:
    - You always undercut my points, and it's getting on my damn nerves
    - Second, you say it's not an excuse while presenting a subjective view that Maguire embodied Parker in 10 minutes. That's subjective. I could say something similar about Peter during "Civil War" with his great power monologue. Would I be objective? Not really. So that doesn't work for me.
    That's fair.

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    That's fair.
    Thank you.

Extraordinary Member John Ossie's Avatar

At the very least, I'm expecting to like the art work since Sara Pichelli is working on the book.

Look at how good MJ looks on that cover. Oh baby!

FRIENDLY NEIGHBORHOOD SPIDER-MAN #12
    TOM TAYLOR (W) • JUANN CABAL (A)
    Cover by ANDREW C. ROBINSON
    FINALE VARIANT COVER BY TBA
    • We haven’t seen Mary Jane Watson since #1, but that’s about to change with this almost ALL-MJ issue!
    • MJ saves Spidey, helps Aunt May and basically saves the day.
    • Face it, readers, you just hit the jackpot.
    32 PGS./Rated T …$3.99
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Wasn't MJ in FNSM #7?

Quote Originally Posted by Kevinroc View Post
    Wasn't MJ in FNSM #7?
    For a little bit, yes.

Have you guys seen the solicitation for ASM #29?

• The aftershocks from Mary Jane’s recent decision are felt throughout Spider-Man’s life!
    • With that throwing Peter’s life into upheaval, a super villain rearing their head is NOT HELPFUL!
    Please, for the love of God, don't split them back up, Spencer!

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by KangMiRae View Post
    Who knows, maybe it has nothing do with a breakup. MJ perhaps does something stupid out of desperation like give herself superpowers.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by KangMiRae View Post
    Have you guys seen the solicitation for ASM #29?

The split up could be short term plot device(even more temporary than Parker Industries). Most likely a reunion when the centidemon s/l reaches it's end.