Page 37 of 85 FirstFirst ... 2733343536373839404147 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I think Mary Jane running for mayor would make for an interesting storyline although I don't see it being more meaningful then a "just for this run" thing (and even if she does win, I don't see her in the position long).
    She could also run for another office.

There's a prominent young congresswoman in New York City.

Nick Spencer one ran for City Council in Ohio.

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2017/05...nati-politics/

I wouldn't bet on MJ getting involved in politics, since that's likely to cause headaches. On his Captain America, Spencer was hit from the right for being a Democrat and from the left for being too centrist.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    I wouldn't bet on MJ getting involved in politics, since that's likely to cause headaches. On his Captain America, Spencer was hit from the right for being a Democrat and from the left for being too centrist.
    It ending up becoming the subject of a targeted joke in Avengers Endgame can't have been helpful either. But I don't think that will discourage Spencer from trying again. Nor it should. And in any case, doing a story where that works well would be enough to win people over.

In any case, MJ potentially running against Kingpin isn't the same as doing a story whose initial pitch was that the Cap we were reading for a few issues was Hydra for a while. A story where MJ runs against Kingpin who's mayor isn't a political story. Since Kingpin is a bad guy. He's a gangster. So aside from optics, i.e. Kingpin-as-Trump (though I think Bloomberg or Governor Cuomo might be better) there's no actual political teeth to the story outside of symbolism.

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    It ending up becoming the subject of a targeted joke in Avengers Endgame can't have been helpful either. But I don't think that will discourage Spencer from trying again. Nor it should. And in any case, doing a story where that works well would be enough to win people over.

In any case, MJ potentially running against Kingpin isn't the same as doing a story whose initial pitch was that the Cap we were reading for a few issues was Hydra for a while. A story where MJ runs against Kingpin who's mayor isn't a political story. Since Kingpin is a bad guy. He's a gangster. So aside from optics, i.e. Kingpin-as-Trump (though I think Bloomberg or Governor Cuomo might be better) there's no actual political teeth to the story outside of symbolism.
    If they go political, I hope MJ doesn't run for Mayor, since that's a really prominent post and out of place for the character. But it could be interesting to have her in the city council with Wilson Fisk as Mayor.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    If they go political, I hope MJ doesn't run for Mayor, since that's a really prominent post and out of place for the character. But it could be interesting to have her in the city council with Wilson Fisk as Mayor.
    I'd agree with that, MJ in the City Council and so on.

Then again if you look at 616 Marvel Universe...Jameson was Mayor, followed by Fisk. The recent trend in Marvel New York is to support civilians to Mayoral positions and not career politicians. Jameson was a prominent editor/publisher for sure but not a politician who held offices, Kingpin was a gangster and had political connections (and knowing Fisk, with both parties) and is some kind of real-estate generic business guy. So MJ would fit the current trend perfectly. The only issue would be her age, and of course for some voters, her gender.

Again, for me, MJ getting into politics would be interesting but probably not sustainable in the long run.

Although it beats her being a reporter .

....Although it beats her being a reporter .
    Just about anything beats her being a reporter, IMO.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

BANNED

Although it beats her being a reporter .
    I have no idea why people are so hung up about this. Maybe 616 MJ being a reporter is an issue, but Ultimate MJ was set up and had a natural interest in journalism right through, which translated to Spider-Man PS4. Okay there's Lois Lane jokes so what? Lois borrowed stuff from MJ too, so why not the reverse? MJ being a reporter allows the Daily Bugle to be involved especially if Peter's not working there.

Although personally, I'd like to see Mary Jane as a writer, preferably a playwright/novelist. She's got a creative impulse, she's the daughter of a failed writer, and she's had a lot of rich life experience and you can do a story where she puts her experiences to pen and writes meaningful stuff. And that allows Peter to become her muse. That's both fresh and in keeping with character. And being a writer is seasonal...she can be successful and fail, "only as good as the last book or last play", and you can have her involved in a lot of stuff. So there's stuff you can explore there.

I have no idea why people are so hung up about this. Maybe 616 MJ being a reporter is an issue, but Ultimate MJ was set up and had a natural interest in journalism right through, which translated to Spider-Man PS4. Okay there's Lois Lane jokes so what? Lois borrowed stuff from MJ too, so why not the reverse? MJ being a reporter allows the Daily Bugle to be involved especially if Peter's not working there.
    what did Lois borrowed from MJ? also what will happen to Betty if Mj becomes a reporter? Wouldnt Mj being a reporter put her more at risk of being used as a damsel in distress more since they have to cross her over with Peter hero world they wouldnt use her to report Sports now?
    "He's pure power and doesn't even know it. He's the best of us."-Matt Murdock

"I need a reason to take the mask off."-Peter Parker

"My heart half-breaks at how easy it is to lie to him. It breaks all the way when he believes me without question." Felicia Hardy

The marriage. Peter married MJ in the 80s, but Lois didn't get Clark up the aisle until the 90s (synergy with the Lois and Clark TV show, I think).
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Jman27 View Post
    what did Lois borrowed from MJ? also what will happen to Betty if Mj becomes a reporter? Wouldnt Mj being a reporter put her more at risk of being used as a damsel in distress more since they have to cross her over with Peter hero world they wouldnt use her to report Sports now?
    Exactly, thanks for a good summation of the situation.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Although personally, I'd like to see Mary Jane as a writer, preferably a playwright/novelist. She's got a creative impulse, she's the daughter of a failed writer, and she's had a lot of rich life experience and you can do a story where she puts her experiences to pen and writes meaningful stuff. And that allows Peter to become her muse. That's both fresh and in keeping with character. And being a writer is seasonal...she can be successful and fail, "only as good as the last book or last play", and you can have her involved in a lot of stuff. So there's stuff you can explore there.
    Mary Jane as a playwright and/or novelist could definitely work. I'd be fine with that.

And I should add for the skeptics that Lois Lane didn't just borrow marrying the main superhero of her setting from Mary Jane, she also borrowed becoming his closest non-superpowered civilian confidante from MJ, both of which she accomplished a decade afterward. Although, being fair to DC, Iris West did it first with Barry Allen, as their marriage happened in the pre-Crisis on Infinite Earths DCU, whereas both the Peter/MJ marriage and the Lois & Clark marriage (comics and TV series) happened post-Crisis.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

I don't know if I'd say natural interest. It kind of just came about by the end of Bendis' run, but it's definitely more of an Ultimate Mary Jane thing, and I prefer 616.

I just feel like when they use it it takes up too much of Mary Jane's personality by making her this standardized reporter character. I miss her vivaciousness, liveliness, and sass.

It's a losing game trying to steal from Lois Lane. She's, like, the uber reporter of comics .

I get that it can connect Peter to the Bugle again if he's not going to work there, but all the same I'd prefer it if he actually worked there.
    I think a writer would be an interesting hobby, and way to connect back to her dad, but I think career-wise MJ would prefer something that got her face out in public and interacting with people.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jman27 View Post
    Post-Crisis Lois had red hair initially.

It's a losing game trying to steal from Lois Lane. She's, like, the uber reporter of comics .
    Who couldn't figure out that Superman and her coworker/close friend were one and the same until told?
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Well, the art looks promising.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)