Page 40 of 46 FirstFirst ... 30363738394041424344 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I mean...X-S is a thing...

Honestly, if anything I think Bendis writing the Legion book as a solo Jon book is more practical then him trying to write it as a team book.
    There was also kid quantum, I liked her, and I think there was a magic user in Levitz's run a while back.

Quote Originally Posted by Comic-Reader Lad View Post
    I also think it's obvious that Jon Kent was aged specifically so that he could join the Legion as Superboy....
    Crap, I hope not. I like Superman as being their inspiration and that he might have the occasional adventure together, but I don't want a Super in the Legion - like when the 3boot became "Supergirl and the LSH" That "S" crest just takes up too much room and there are enough Legionnaires as it is who don't get enough attention.

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    Crap, I hope not. I like Superman as being their inspiration and that he might have the occasional adventure together, but I don't want a Super in the Legion - like when the 3boot became "Supergirl and the LSH" That "S" crest just takes up too much room and there are enough Legionnaires as it is who don't get enough attention.
    That's kind of how I could see Bendis approaching a Legion book to be honest.

Extraordinary Member

I don't follow the Superman books.

Has Bendis used Mon-El at all?

I like Lar Gand being part of Kal-El's past.

I agree with a lot of Comic-Reader Lad's post -- it'll be a Wonder Comics book and Jon will be a part of it. That said, I'm not sold on it being a full reboot. I see a "everybody is de-aged but they retain some/all of the memories Bendis wants them to" scenario, a la what he just did in Young Justice. For some reason I also think we'll see a blending of different eras -- mostly the classical team, but with an XS or Gates thrown in because of (insert Dr. Manhattan-related logic here).

I'm also wrong a lot.

Bendis on the Legion? Heck, heck, curses and heck!

I really disliked "The Man of Steel" from Bendis. I felt like if the New 52 was DC obnoxiously and ostentatiously going "This ain't your grandpa's Superman! Check out how edgy we made him!" then "The Man of Steel" was DC obnoxiously and ostentatiously going "This is definitely your grandpa's Superman! Check out how bland we made him!"

Of course, my grandpa was born in 1930, so the Golden Age "socially conscious roughneck" Superman that DC initially hearkened back to with their edgy take, especially early in Morrison's Action, was very much "my grandpa's Superman," but that's not important to the branding of the thing.

That said, there's one very crucial reason why I'm choosing to be more optimistic about this Bendis on the Legion, compared to how I feel about him on Superman. See, Superman's often seen as being more on the older side, and when he's meant to be older, he's rarely as passionate and impulsive as when he's portrayed as younger. Parts of the Bronze age and most of Rebirth are really good counterpoints showing that he doesn't have to be written that way, but Bendis does. But the Legion is made up mostly of younger characters, and even when they're older they don't have the baggage Superman has with regard to being the "Elder Statesmen" of the DCU or whatever. I fully suspect that Bendis can pull off writing kids; after all, most of his best known comics revolve around writing kid super-heroes.

Taking this in mind, I'll start picking Legion up if it starts coming out. Gotta show DC that I love the property somehow.

PS: I also hope that Lar Gand is a regular, with roots in Superman's backstory. I love him, I love his under-utilized relationship with Kal-El, and I would love for Jon Kent to have an uncle figure if Superboy is a part of the team.
    "You know the deal, Metropolis. Treat people right or expect a visit from me."

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Adekis View Post
    Bendis on the Legion? Heck, heck, curses and heck!

I really disliked "The Man of Steel" from Bendis. I felt like if the New 52 was DC obnoxiously and ostentatiously going "This ain't your grandpa's Superman! Check out how edgy we made him!" then "The Man of Steel" was DC obnoxiously and ostentatiously going "This is definitely your grandpa's Superman! Check out how bland we made him!"

Of course, my grandpa was born in 1930, so the Golden Age "socially conscious roughneck" Superman that DC initially hearkened back to with their edgy take, especially early in Morrison's Action, was very much "my grandpa's Superman," but that's not important to the branding of the thing.

That said, there's one very crucial reason why I'm choosing to be more optimistic about this Bendis on the Legion, compared to how I feel about him on Superman. See, Superman's often seen as being more on the older side, and when he's meant to be older, he's rarely as passionate and impulsive as when he's portrayed as younger. Parts of the Bronze age and most of Rebirth are really good counterpoints showing that he doesn't have to be written that way, but Bendis does. But the Legion is made up mostly of younger characters, and even when they're older they don't have the baggage Superman has with regard to being the "Elder Statesmen" of the DCU or whatever. I fully suspect that Bendis can pull off writing kids; after all, most of his best known comics revolve around writing kid super-heroes.

Taking this in mind, I'll start picking Legion up if it starts coming out. Gotta show DC that I love the property somehow.

PS: I also hope that Lar Gand is a regular, with roots in Superman's backstory. I love him, I love his under-utilized relationship with Kal-El, and I would love for Jon Kent to have an uncle figure if Superboy is a part of the team.
    If the creative team speculation is true, I hope to see this, too.

Astonishing Member Timothy Hunter's Avatar

Whether you like Bendis or not*, if he is announced as the next writer of the Legion, all hype is going to die out. He's just very overexposed at this point, and he's not the star that he used to be. He led his Young Justice ongoing, a title that fans have been clambering for since the start of Rebirth to sell in the low thirties in only the first two issues. He has his niche, but he is not the blockbuster writer that DC would need to revive this long dead franchise. What I would do is for the first 25 issues, have a big name talent that everyone basically likes, Geoff Johns, Grant Morrison, Sean Gordon Murphy, etcetera. Then after that brief run, have a B-list, but consistent and dependent in house writer like Tomasi, Tynion, Williamson take over the title for a longer period of time.

*Just to preface I have very lukewarm feeling towards Bendis as a writer. His charms and deficiencies in his comics pretty much even out to the degree that most of his work comes off as not too awful, but not too great.

Link To My Comics Review Blog:
    https://comicbookheartbreak.blogspot.com/
    Last edited by Timothy Hunter; 06-11-2019 at 06:31 PM.

I've been looking to get into them, wondering what a good read is. And are the new 52 series worth readig

I've seen some speculation that Legion, Batman Beyond and OMAC are part of a new imprint.
    If that's the case, Bendis might not be writing all the books he teased... I could see someone like Orlando getting one (which doesn't make me mkre hopeful, as his Justice League United was pretty bland).

Quote Originally Posted by Factor View Post
    I've seen some speculation that Legion, Batman Beyond and OMAC are part of a new imprint.
    If that's the case, Bendis might not be writing all the books he teased... I could see someone like Orlando getting one (which doesn't make me mkre hopeful, as his Justice League United was pretty bland).
    Orlando's Martian Manhunter's pretty good. I could see Jeff Parker writing the legion.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    I feel like cutting the Legion down to a smaller group of seven or twelve or whatever misses the mark of what makes the Legion.

Amen. The sheer volume of the team is one of its most important aspects -- along with being set in the future.

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

Well the new book is coming with Bendis/Sook and by the look of the preview scketches it looks like it will be the ugliest looking Legion book ever. The character designs for all the Legion just look horrible except Shadow Lass.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Hunter View Post
    Well the new book is coming with Bendis/Sook and by the look of the preview scketches it looks like it will be the ugliest looking Legion book ever. The character designs for all the Legion just look horrible except Shadow Lass.
    Case in point:

2oRlSo0.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by RBerman View Post
    Case in point:

2oRlSo0.jpg
    ...Saturn Girl has had better costumes.