Page 39 of 46 FirstFirst ... 29353637383940414243 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by caj View Post
    Try picking 12 members of the Legion that a new book could start out with. Then build on those 12 to turn it into a full-scale legion.
    The three founders are essential.
    1- Cosmic Boy
    2- Saturn Girl
    3 - Lightning Lad/ Live Wire (I like the modernized names. Most of them)
    Next, we have two characters that, IMHO, are essentially linked to the team. The brains and the shape-shifter/spy).
    4 - Brainiac 5
    5 - Chameleon
    Then, muscle. You have to have a brick. In the Legion's case, a Superboy type. This one is also my favorite Legionnaire, especially when they bring his street smarts into play.
    6 - Ultra Boy
    An extra powerhouse would be intresting. This one is realtively new, with unexplored potential, and, IMHO, really intresting.
    7 - Kid Quantum (the female one with inborn powers, of course)
    After that, versatility and more power.
    8 - Apparition
    9 - Shrinking Violet
    10 - Colossal Boy
    11 - Invisible Kid (Lyle Norg. I like playing him of Brainy)
    12 - Inferno (I prefer the male one, but I'd be okay with the more disruptive female one)

The Next 12 members would bring the team up to it's true power potential. I prefer to have members that reflect more an allien diversity, rather than just changing skin colors.

13 - Gates (love the allien enemy of the system)
    14 - Wildfire (the original)
    15 - Shikkari (I prefer her to Dawnstar, mostly due to her more allien nature)
    16 - Mon-El
    17 - Kinetix
    18- Sensor (The half human, half serpentine version of the later part of DnA's run, though I'd prefer a personality similar to the one she originally had, rather than the later angry one. Also, give her mystical knowledge and abilities.)
    19 - Timber Wolf (a personal favorite)
    20 - Light Lass
    21 - Umbra ( I loved the more "savage" Umbra of the POst-Zero Legion, especially her ability to use her dark fiels as a physical force)
    22 -Element Lad (the original)
    23 - Triad (each with her own personality, such as in the Post-Zero Hour Legion. As powers go, may not be much, but makes for an awsome character).
    24 - Karate Kid

Peace
    Last edited by Nomads1; 06-07-2019 at 01:21 PM.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Let's move the needle forward and go further into the unknown.

News! Bendis in charge of the legion?

https://www.cbr.com/brian-michael-be...-heroes-tease/
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

It is going to happen. I just have to accept that. Am i looking forward to Bendis being in charge of my all time favorite book? Not even a little bit. I bought the 3boot run even though I hated most of what Waid was doing, but I honestly am not sure if I will even give a Bendis written Legion book a look just because I know Bendis sucks at writing cosmic stories and teams.

I'm glad DC cares enough to get a big name behind the team, regardless of what people might think of him. He's been kinda hit or miss with me, so I will hold out hope that this will be "hit."

And if not, then at least they'll be back and maybe another team can do a better job.

I'm of two minds about it:

1. Hooray, Legion!

2. Oh dear, Bendis.

I've actually enjoyed his Super-books and Young Justice, so I'm hoping the switch from Marvel to DC recharged whatever batteries were hemorrhaging at the end of his stay at Marvel. I can deal with Bendis-speak (that seems to be the biggest gripe with readers), but there are two traits I've noticed through the years I'm very anxious about:

1. Juggling large casts is not a strength of his.

2. His heavy use of one or two beloved childhood favorites, and the inclusion of new characters to a cast that probably doesn't need any. I can't really fault a creator for featuring their favorites -- many do -- but man, we really got Luke Cage and Spider-Woman shoved down our throats on New Avengers. I imagine Bendis will be prominently featuring a few brand new creations, which is really going to be awkward for a book whose cast already swells into the 20s.

Extraordinary Member

As long as he does not kill off members. I actually liked his Avengers' run.

Bendis can tell Legion stories without worrying about needless crossovers with other books. That might work to his advantage.

I'm having an open mind if he does bring the Legion back.

I am glad the Legion is being tied to Superman again.

Quote Originally Posted by Adset View Post
    I'm of two minds about it:

1. Hooray, Legion!

2. Oh dear, Bendis.

I've actually enjoyed his Super-books and Young Justice, so I'm hoping the switch from Marvel to DC recharged whatever batteries were hemorrhaging at the end of his stay at Marvel. I can deal with Bendis-speak (that seems to be the biggest gripe with readers), but there are two traits I've noticed through the years I'm very anxious about:

1. Juggling large casts is not a strength of his.

2. His heavy use of one or two beloved childhood favorites, and the inclusion of new characters to a cast that probably doesn't need any. I can't really fault a creator for featuring their favorites -- many do -- but man, we really got Luke Cage and Spider-Woman shoved down our throats on New Avengers. I imagine Bendis will be prominently featuring a few brand new creations, which is really going to be awkward for a book whose cast already swells into the 20s.
    Bendis can't do space, he really can't. I read a few trades of his guardians run and nothing happened in it. Lots of pretty art, but nothing happened. Dan Abnett did more with G3K in 8 issues than bendis did in his first two years on guardians.

It may have been editorial coming down on him, but I doubt it.

I think people are deluding themselves if they think Bendis is NOT going to launch a Legion title given the steady hints he's been dropping since his DC deal was announced.

I also think it's obvious that Jon Kent was aged specifically so that he could join the Legion as Superboy.

While my Superboy choice will always be Kal-El as a teenager, I do think the Legion needs a Superboy to serve as a gateway character for readers. The Legion has a big cast and a lot of high concepts. It's its own world, so there has to be an easy way in for readers who have been put off by the Legion before. Superboy was the gateway character for me when I was a kid and his presence allowed me to learn about his friends.

Superboy is a great device for the Legionnaires to explain their world to the readers as they explain it to him.

Given that Jon has been aged to about 15-16, I would assume we're getting another Legion reboot where the Legionnaires are also teens because it would look weird for Jon to be hanging around with a bunch of 30 year olds.

I'm thinking that the comic will be called Superboy and the Legion of Super-Heroes to reflect DiDio's and probably Bendis's tastes for Bronze Age DC, and have Jon either travel to the future like Clark used to or just live there permanently for some comic book reason.

If he stays in the future permanently, Kon-El can be the Superboy of the 21st Century.

I'm also guessing SLSH will be part of Bendis's Wonder Comics imprint and that the Legion and Young Justice will eventually have a big ol' crossover -- maybe even a summer tradition like the old JLA/JSA ones.

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

I am totally cool with the Legion having a Superboy. I have said for years DC screwed up when they did not use Chris Kent/Lor-Zod or Cir-El as the new full time Superboy and Supergirl in the Legion before they shoved both off into limbo again. As much as I hate they aged Jon up I would even be ok with him being in the Legion. The problem all comes down to Bendis. I read his X-men runs and they sucked so bad because he just can not handle a big cast of characters without all of them starting to sound alike. That and he has no grasp of cosmic scale storytelling which is what the major focus of the Legion should be. That and I really don't want all the team de-aged back to young teens to be Jon's peers. Bring in a few new members if they want some younger members to be Jon's core friends (you already know Bendis will bring in some super smart or powerful black girl within his first 6 issues because that is his go too move), but keep the classic team all older at least in their 20's.

I'm fine with Bendis being involved in the Legion's return but I really hope beyond hope he's not the only writer and he gets like, a co-writer or showrunner like with the other Wonder Comics books. Other posters (and myself on occasion) have illustrated the reasons why Bendis would not be a good fit for the Legion.

Although considering how much of Bendis' name doesn't seem to have helped Superman or the other Wonder Comics in the long-run, I question how much his involvement would really help the Legion at this point.

Oh, God. Why the hell does Bendis love to write the characters I love? Honestly. I can't imagine anyone less suited to write a Legion book. I imagine the great crimelord Starfinger will be the recurring menance that will plague the team throughout all his run, and the most powerful team of the universe will get plot-induced stupidity as to never be able to thwart him. On a plus side, I'll bet they'll get an awsome art team to do the book. Well, who knows, maybe, this time, I'll be wrong and Bendis will surprise me.

Peace

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Hunter View Post
    I am totally cool with the Legion having a Superboy. I have said for years DC screwed up when they did not use Chris Kent/Lor-Zod or Cir-El as the new full time Superboy and Supergirl in the Legion before they shoved both off into limbo again. As much as I hate they aged Jon up I would even be ok with him being in the Legion. The problem all comes down to Bendis. I read his X-men runs and they sucked so bad because he just can not handle a big cast of characters without all of them starting to sound alike. That and he has no grasp of cosmic scale storytelling which is what the major focus of the Legion should be. That and I really don't want all the team de-aged back to young teens to be Jon's peers. Bring in a few new members if they want some younger members to be Jon's core friends (you already know Bendis will bring in some super smart or powerful black girl within his first 6 issues because that is his go too move), but keep the classic team all older at least in their 20's.
    How is that is his go to move when he's only created 2 black female superheroes (and 2 black female villains for Superman), and only one of them is super smart...

More than likely Bendis will create a new character, they'll be female and with Bendis luck of getting five of his female characters on tv we'll see this new one in a couple of years on Supergirl ...that is if he is actually writing the book and not launching another imprint, which brings me to the reason I'm in this thread:

Here's an article from Newsrama, Legion is most likely related to this DC Millinium thing, which is either an imprint, event, or the second wave of Wonder Comics.

Quote Originally Posted by Comic-Reader Lad View Post
    I think people are deluding themselves if they think Bendis is NOT going to launch a Legion title given the steady hints he's been dropping since his DC deal was announced.

I also think it's obvious that Jon Kent was aged specifically so that he could join the Legion as Superboy.

While my Superboy choice will always be Kal-El as a teenager, I do think the Legion needs a Superboy to serve as a gateway character for readers. The Legion has a big cast and a lot of high concepts. It's its own world, so there has to be an easy way in for readers who have been put off by the Legion before. Superboy was the gateway character for me when I was a kid and his presence allowed me to learn about his friends.

Superboy is a great device for the Legionnaires to explain their world to the readers as they explain it to him.

Given that Jon has been aged to about 15-16, I would assume we're getting another Legion reboot where the Legionnaires are also teens because it would look weird for Jon to be hanging around with a bunch of 30 year olds.

I'm thinking that the comic will be called Superboy and the Legion of Super-Heroes to reflect DiDio's and probably Bendis's tastes for Bronze Age DC, and have Jon either travel to the future like Clark used to or just live there permanently for some comic book reason.

If he stays in the future permanently, Kon-El can be the Superboy of the 21st Century.

I'm also guessing SLSH will be part of Bendis's Wonder Comics imprint and that the Legion and Young Justice will eventually have a big ol' crossover -- maybe even a summer tradition like the old JLA/JSA ones.
    Oh, I really hope it's not yet another reboot. YJ made me trust Bendis a bit more, even if I hate that he aged Jon.
    Aged Jon as the Superboy of the Legion kind of makes sense, thought. I do hope they're more creative than just rebooting. Having him as the gateway character, but in a role akin to Kitty Pryde when she joined the Xmen would be interesting and would help highlight the wonder of meeting the LOSH for the first time.
    They absolutely should keep the continuity from the last run. There's nothing inherently wrong about it, it's just that the last run was pretty boring all around.

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Hunter View Post
    (you already know Bendis will bring in some super smart or powerful black girl within his first 6 issues because that is his go too move)
    Quote Originally Posted by kurenai24 View Post
    How is that is his go to move when he's only created 2 black female superheroes (and 2 black female villains for Superman), and only one of them is super smart...
    I mean...X-S is a thing...
    Quote Originally Posted by Factor View Post
    Oh, I really hope it's not yet another reboot. YJ made me trust Bendis a bit more, even if I hate that he aged Jon.
    Aged Jon as the Superboy of the Legion kind of makes sense, thought. I do hope they're more creative than just rebooting. Having him as the gateway character, but in a role akin to Kitty Pryde when she joined the Xmen would be interesting and would help highlight the wonder of meeting the LOSH for the first time.
    They absolutely should keep the continuity from the last run. There's nothing inherently wrong about it, it's just that the last run was pretty boring all around.
    Honestly, if anything I think Bendis writing the Legion book as a solo Jon book is more practical then him trying to write it as a team book.