THE PLACE TO APPRECIATE / DISCUSS / ANALYZE / AND SPECULATE ABOUT THE LEGION'S PAST -- AND ITS FUTURE!

Since the previous thread has been locked, I figured I'll start the new version because the Legion is one of my favorite comics even though it hasn't been a hit series in a generation.

My first Legion comic was Superboy 203 (cover dated July-Aug 1974). This was a pivotal issue because it featured not only the first pencil art of Mike Grell, the Legion's main 1970s artist (taking the baton from Dave Cockrum whose art revived interest in the team), but also the death of Invisible Kid. I was pretty shocked as a kid when the character who was spotlighted in the story ended up dead less than 20 pages later!

I think that this thread will attract not only the Legion's legion of fans, but also people who are just curious about the team, want to get into them, but never could because of its long history.

To give us all the same starting point to discuss the team, I'm going to post the Legion History summary pages from the DC-Mayfair Legion Role-Playing Books from 1986. This covers the first "14 years" in-universe. For us, it covers Legion comics published from 1958 to 1986. This would basically be everything from Adventure Comics 247 (cover dated April 1958) to Legion of Super-Heroes (Baxter paper series) 21 (cover dated April 1986).

This means that, although Crisis on Infinite Earths has happened, the retcons resulting from the Crisis have yet to occur. In other words, by the time these History pages were published, Superboy had not yet been revealed to have been a pocket universe creation of the Time Trapper. So, these pages are basically the original pre-Crisis history plus the stories that immediately followed.

This Legion series ended with issue 63 in 1989 before being revamped with the 5-Years Later (5YL) direction, so the last 3 years of pre-5YL Legion aren't covered by the History pages, but it sure is most of it.

After these pages, I'll post the 5-Years Later History pages from a subsequent DC-Mayfair book.

Now, NO ONE can say that the Legion's history is too complicated or that they can't understand what's going on. Hopefully, these pages will inspire existing fans with happy memories and give the wannabe fans a fighting chance to get into one of the best series published by DC.

But first, let's begin with a grand Legion poster from the cover of Limited Collectors' Edition C-49 as drawn by Mike Grell at his finest.

In this Appreciation thread, it's ok to discuss the parts of Legion history that you DON'T like because the Legion has passed through so many hands during its 60-year history that in order to discuss it all, we have to acknowledge the bad with the good.

But do try to post your favorite:
- memories
- storylines
- characters
- covers/interior art
- creative teams, etc.

- Also, how did you get into the Legion to begin with?
- What was your first Legion comic?
- Who is your favorite Legion member?
- Are there any Legion members that you changed your mind about either going from liking to not liking or from not liking to liking?
- Which Legion costumes do you like the best/least?

Most of all, have FUN, and Long Live the Legion!