Page 29 of 46 FirstFirst ... 1925262728293031323339 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

Since there has been no new Legion in so long and I own everything already I started tracking down the issues of the cartoon tie in series. You know it is not half bad. It is fun seeing the Legion again in stories I had not read before even if they are aimed more at kids.

Jewish & Proud Feminist Shadowcat's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by caj View Post
    What made it even more confusing is the way they chose to write the newsstand book. See, both Legion and New Teen Titans were publishing two different issues during this time. There was the newsstand issue, which went to convenient stores and where most people would buy them. Then, they had the Baxter books, which were a nicer paper and more prestige, that were only available at specialty comic book stores.

NTT chose to write a years worth of stories in the newsstand books that happened before the Baxter books storylines. But Legion had both issues contain stories that were happening at the same time. So the Eye For An Eye issues were referencing things that were happening in the newsstand issues that you would have no idea what they were talking about.
    That had more to do with Perez and Wolfman getting behind because of the added workload of Crisis. Both of those books, plus Outsiders, was supposed to offer original stories that referenced both in the Baxter books, as well as the Tales of newsstand editions for a year, and then the Tales of books would become reprints of the Baxter books.
    Last edited by Shadowcat; 03-25-2019 at 09:36 PM.
    Comic-Watch Reviewer

Titles:
    /Doctor Strange/Captain Marvel\Scarlet Witch\
    /Iron Man/Captain Britain/Wasp\X-Men\
    /JSA\/X-Treme X-Men\/WILDCATS\

https://comic-watch.com/author/baradtzgmail-com

My favorite Legionnaire is Jeckie, and here’s a question that’s been gnawing on me since the “Who is Sensor Girl?” arc. Why keep the wig? Why not just rock her natural platinum hair after she told everyone her secret?
    Comic-Watch Reviewer

Titles:

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowcat View Post
    My favorite Legionnaire is Jeckie, and here’s a question that’s been gnawing on me since the “Who is Sensor Girl?” arc. Why keep the wig? Why not just rock her natural platinum hair after she told everyone her secret?
    I believe she intended for the average hoi-polloi on the street to still believe that 'Sensor Girl' was a new Legionnaire, with mysterious powers, even after her teammates found out that she was indeed Projectra, under the assumption that her illusion powers would be that much more effective if the garden-variety crooks and villains she faced as a Legionnaire had no idea that she was an illusionist, and that they can't trust their senses around her.

The (much) later decision to have her keep the blonde hair, but ditch the mask entirely and *wear a crown* (a title and responsibility that she had pointedly renounced) was, in that light, inexplicable. Much like the decision to have Polar Boy, who always wore a thick furry parka, because he comes from a super-hot planet, and Earth is unbearably cold to him, *wear ice on his head.*

I think the truest answer is C) the writer / artist who chose that portrayal was high.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    I believe she intended for the average hoi-polloi on the street to still believe that 'Sensor Girl' was a new Legionnaire, with mysterious powers, even after her teammates found out that she was indeed Projectra, under the assumption that her illusion powers would be that much more effective if the garden-variety crooks and villains she faced as a Legionnaire had no idea that she was an illusionist, and that they can't trust their senses around her.
    If memory serves, this is correct.

We did see her a few times with her platinum hair when she was hanging out at Legion headquarters. I remember one issue where Jeckie tells Invisible Kid about a tale from the past involving her, Karate Kid, and Ferro Lad. It happened in Baxter issue #31 right before the Universo Project storyline. She looked like her old self in that issue.

Astonishing Member

When asked I often say Lightle is my all time fave Legion artist but to be honest he didn't do too many issues of the LSH but he did do a ton of awesome covers.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by EmeraldGladiator View Post
    When asked I often say Lightle is my all time fave Legion artist but to be honest he didn't do too many issues of the LSH but he did do a ton of awesome covers.
    It's amazing the impact he had on the Legion. He only drew 12 issues of the book (#3-5, 7-10, 12-14, 16, & 23). Yet because of his tremendous talent and his amazing covers, he is probably more associated with the Baxter issues than Greg LaRocque, the main artist, or even Giffen, who came back in issue #50.

Quote Originally Posted by EmeraldGladiator View Post
    I asked him why he didn’t do more interiors, and he said he made more money doing covers than interior art, which was pretty shocking to learn.
    Comic-Watch Reviewer

Titles:

What’s everyone’s thoughts on the L.E.G.I.O.N. series? Is this a spinoff of the main Legion book? I’m doing a re-read of my Legion books now, starting with issue 284 up til Zero Hour, and I’m still trying to decide if I should add this to my list or not.
    Comic-Watch Reviewer

Titles:

What’s everyone’s thoughts on the L.E.G.I.O.N. series? Is this a spinoff of the main Legion book? I’m doing a re-read of my Legion books now, starting with issue 284 up til Zero Hour, and I’m still trying to decide if I should add this to my list or not.
    LEGION is more of a brand extension than a spinoff. It takes place in the 20th century and features characters who are ancestors or somehow related to the 30th Century team.

It was generally a very good comic and featured Barry Kitson on art and Tom Peyer on story. Definitely worth a read.

I asked him why he didn’t do more interiors, and he said he made more money doing covers than interior art, which was pretty shocking to learn.
    The page rate for covers is more than the page rate for interiors, but one cover doesn't equal an entire issue's worth of interiors.

However, Gil Kane switched from interiors to being one of Marvel's main cover artists in the mid-1970s. The story goes that Kane was going through a divorce and needed extra money. 20 covers a month paid more than 20 pages of interiors. Smart move on his part to think of that.

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

L.E.G.I.O.N. is one of the best books DC was putting out at the time. Those first 50 issues were fantastic even if you were not a Legion fan, but all the easter eggs make it so much better if you are. It is a book that spins out the Invasion event by Keith Giffen. Giffen used a ton of the Legion influences in that event book including bringing in a bunch of Legion races like the Domintors, Khunds, Gil'Dispan, and Durlans into the present day DCU for the first time I believe.

Vril Dox II is one of the best characters DC ever came up. The "son" of Brainiac who hates his father. He is sort of like if all of Brainiac 5's worst traits were the main ones. He was ruthless, cunning, and not afraid to get his hands dirty if it meant he got the outcome he wanted while still being a good guy.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Hunter View Post
    L.E.G.I.O.N. is one of the best books DC was putting out at the time. Those first 50 issues were fantastic even if you were not a Legion fan, but all the easter eggs make it so much better if you are. It is a book that spins out the Invasion event by Keith Giffen. Giffen used a ton of the Legion influences in that event book including bringing in a bunch of Legion races like the Domintors, Khunds, Gil'Dispan, and Durlans into the present day DCU for the first time I believe.

Vril Dox II is one of the best characters DC ever came up. The "son" of Brainiac who hates his father. He is sort of like if all of Brainiac 5's worst traits were the main ones. He was ruthless, cunning, and not afraid to get his hands dirty if it meant he got the outcome he wanted while still being a good guy.
    Agree with all of this. Giffen actually wrote the first 12 issues of the book before handing it off to Alan Grant. Giffen was plotting this book the same time he was plotting the 5-years later Legion of Super Heroes and there is a major situation that occurs between the two books that is quite intriguing. It's a shame that this series has never been released in TPB. It's an incredible book. Vril Dox and Lobo alone make this an enjoyable book, but it's loaded with fascinating characters and stories. Definitely recommend it.

That’s how I’ve always felt regarding LEGION and Legion, so I’m glad there’s a general consensus regarding all of the properties.

Current phone wallpapers
    122A323E-2C80-4829-8036-B8B83A95FD20.jpgAB8B437B-36B2-4360-96A3-DB4C3F848030.jpg
    Comic-Watch Reviewer

Titles:

I loved Giffen's "Maguire phase." Such a pity it didn't last very long.