Page 5 of 46 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

"There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

Chameleon Boy appearances:
    Pre-Crisis
    Post-Crisis
    Last edited by Lee Stone; 01-10-2019 at 02:10 AM.

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Stone View Post
    I had such high hopes for the 2010 series when I found out that everything after Magic War was scuttled and everything before the end of the Baxter run was back in canon.
    Sadly, there were too many things working against it.
    Cinar's art was very good, though.
    That run was just such a mess tone wise. They should have not kept Levitz on the book for so long because it was like he had no idea what was going on. One minute he is writing the book like a direct sequel to Baxter run and the next minute he is writing it like everything is new. It is the main problem the Legion had those last 10 years it was being published. DC was just too afraid to put any new talent on the book after DnA and just kept bringing back past writer after past writer hoping to catch lightning in a bottle again (Which we all know 99% of the time the 2nd run is never as good as their first). The sad thing is for as sloppy as his Legion run was at the time Levitz was doing a fantastic job with his Legion Academy stories over in Adventure Comics at the same time.

This is one of my favourite pieces of Legion memorabilia and a link to some background info.

legion.jpg

https://www.comicartfans.com/gallery...?piece=1346480

No problem, Tazpocalapse.

And here are lists of appearances of the original Legion:

Pre-Crisis appearances (1st appearance up to Crisis)
    Post-Crisis appearances (Crisis up to end of Magic Wars)

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Hunter View Post
    That run was just such a mess tone wise. They should have not kept Levitz on the book for so long because it was like he had no idea what was going on. One minute he is writing the book like a direct sequel to Baxter run and the next minute he is writing it like everything is new. It is the main problem the Legion had those last 10 years it was being published. DC was just too afraid to put any new talent on the book after DnA and just kept bringing back past writer after past writer hoping to catch lightning in a bottle again (Which we all know 99% of the time the 2nd run is never as good as their first). The sad thing is for as sloppy as his Legion run was at the time Levitz was doing a fantastic job with his Legion Academy stories over in Adventure Comics at the same time.
    My biggest problems with the 2010/2011 runs-

1. Levitz dragged the Earth-Man story out way too long.

2. This version of the Legion had been away for 20 years and Levitz couldn't seem to get a grasp on which characters modern readers were connecting with.

3. Legion Lost.

4. Levitz's complex multi-plot storytelling style didn't mix well with 'writing for the trades', and having him conform to the 'trade-writing' format really hinders his style.

Karate Kid appearances:
    Pre-Crisis
    Post-Crisis
    Last edited by Lee Stone; 01-10-2019 at 02:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Stone View Post
    No problem, Tazpocalapse.

And here are lists of appearances of the original Legion:

Pre-Crisis appearances (1st appearance up to Crisis)
    Post-Crisis appearances (Crisis up to end of Magic Wars)
    Hmm, I haven't gone through the entire listings, but I noticed some omissions on the pre-Crisis list.

First, it doesn't include Superman 147 (August 1961), which is the first appearance of the Legion of Super-Villains. It's a teamup with Lex Luthor, and you might remember the cover as an homage to Adventure 247, which can be seen below.

Also, but more understandably, the list omits a Legion appearance that most lists omit because the Legion doesn't actually appear, and yet, it's an important story in Legion history!

I'm speaking of Jimmy Olsen 63. In the first story, "The League of Fantastic Supermen," Jimmy faces four criminal escapees from Kandor, who then get transported to the future by members of the Legion of Super-Villains who journey back to the past in their guises to commit crimes in a wacky Silver Age plot.

This LSV appearance is key because it is the LSV's second appearance in comics and contains the debuts of LSV members Sun Emperor and Chameleon Chief. It never gets reprinted in any Legion Archives/Omnibus/Showcase that purports to reprint all the Legion appearances, and I think it should be.

Jimmy Olsen 63 is cover dated September 1962, the same month that the Legion received their own starring feature in Adventure Comics 300.

Last edited by Comic-Reader Lad; 01-10-2019 at 02:00 AM.

Good catch!

Yeah, the lists only include appearances of the team. It pulls from the site's index.
    Even individual members are indexed, so if characters appear in comics outside of the Legion or not with other members (such as Karate Kid in the '70s or Cosmic Boy during Legends), you'd want to consult their own lists.

Here are the index pages for Superman #147, Jimmy Olsen #63, and Jimmy Olsen #87.

Note: I just added appearance lists to the posts featuring Chameleon Boy and Karate Kid.
    Last edited by Lee Stone; 01-10-2019 at 02:13 AM.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Ultra Boy has always been my favorite Legionnaire!

Last edited by WestPhillyPunisher; 01-10-2019 at 02:21 AM.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

For those that thrill at things like communicating in Klingon...

Here's a guide to Interlac and the Legion member icons.

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    Ultra Boy has always been my favorite Legionnaire!
    Ultra Boy is one of my favorites along with Mon-El.

Another favorite is Lightning Lad who has my favorite Legion costume -- and one of my favorite costumes in comics overall.

Simple. Striking. Dramatic. It's designed by Dave Cockrum, a generally great costume designer.

Art below is by Mike Grell.

Ultimate Member

Such wonderful activity on this thread lately, thanks to those posting!

Another thing I love about the Legion is how they will throw their own rules out the window if an exception is warranted. No Legionnaires with duplicate powers! (Except Mon-El, who mostly has the same powers as Superboy, except for the 'super-power' of not fainting in the presence of Kryptonite, which happens to be a power that every Legionnaire *not* named Super[plonk] has!) Every Legionnaire must have a super-power! (Except Karate Kid, who is just that awesome that we let him in anyway!)

Plus, as a kid, Brainiac 5 was amazing. Super-teams were full of people who could fly or throw zaps from their hands (or eyes) or lift buses, but here was a guy whose super-power was *that he was really smart!* Woo! I can't fly, or throw zaps, or lift buses, but I am at least kinda smart, and here's a comic book telling me that smart can be super! I'm less in love with the character since he became socially retarded and was redefined to have the personality of Vril Dox, but he had a great run (and it's not like the Legion doesn't have a fair number of mundane geniuses and scientists and explorers to scratch that itch, when Brainy is being written as his own worst enemy).

Ultra Boy, showcased above, is another favorite. All the powers of Superboy, but he can only use one of them at a time, so he kinda has to work for a living. He can be invulnerable, but he can't use super-strength, or super-speed, at the same time. At least his 'penetra-vision' seems to combine Superboy's telescopic and X-ray vision, so he can kinda do both of those at the same time! I like how Jo, who has not always been the sharpest tack, has to really think during fights. If he turns on the super-speed, or flash vision, or his strength, he's making himself vulnerable momentarily, so he's got to be really aware of the situation, and think tactically.