Page 20 of 46 FirstFirst ... 1016171819202122232430 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Alex Ross has done a few Legion paintings. This one is my favorite.

still reading through superboy and the legion of super-heroes vol 1. last night, got to the issue where garth and imra left the legion after getting married. performing the farewell ceremony, cosmic boy adds a cape to his nearly-naked costume. A CAPE! really brought the whole look together.

then rj brande was taken hostage. BY DAMN.

i take it superboy and the losh #238 was a reprint? they only included the cover in the trade, then it jumps directly to #239.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Adset View Post
    still reading through [I]
    i take it superboy and the losh #238 was a reprint? they only included the cover in the trade, then it jumps directly to #239.
    Concerning #238, I found this on a website. Hope it helps:

http://legionofsuperbloggers.blogspo...egion-238.html

Superboy and The Legion #238 (April, 1978) was a reprint. For the first time since the Legion had "returned" to cover-billing, 40 issues before, there was no new Legion story this month. Instead, Paul Levitz apologized for the deadline crunch as DC re-presented the classic Universo vs Legion story-line from Adventure Comics 359-360. The only thing new this month was the cover for the issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Comic-Reader Lad View Post
    If you mean Legion of Super-Heroes Annual 2 with Karate Kid & Queen Projectra's wedding, then yes, Zero Hunter was correct.

If you want the entire Levitz-Giffen initial Legion collaboration, it can basically be found in 3 trade paperbacks:

(1) Great Darkness Saga - reprints LEGION OF SUPER-HEROES 1980 series #284-296 and ANNUAL #1.

(2) The Curse - reprints LEGION OF SUPER-HEROES 1980 series #297-313 and LEGION OF SUPER-HEROES ANNUAL #2-3.

(3) An Eye for An Eye - reprints LEGION OF SUPER-HEROES 1984 series #1-6.

That's it! Pretty easy!

Giffen then comes back for a 2nd go-round with Levitz on LSH 1984 series 51-63 that I don't think have yet been collected.

Following Legion 313, the title was changed to Tales of the Legion of Super-Heroes and had a year's worth of new stories in issues 314-325. Levitz still was the writer, but Terry Shoemaker was on art. After that, Tales (and Tales LSH Annual) became reprints of the new LSH Baxter Paper series that began in 1984.

Following "An Eye for An Eye," Levitz continues without Giffen (which was fine because Giffen's art had deteriorated as of Legion 307) in the trade paperback "The More Things Change."

However, both "Eye" and "Change" are out of print. They can be found at Amazon and ebay, but buy quick because prices continue to increase.
    Nice! I have GDS already and did not know there was a follow up to that published in GN form. Will look for that one.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Extraordinary Member

Giffen then comes back for a 2nd go-round with Levitz on LSH 1984 series 51-63 that I don't think have yet been collected.
    Not trying to disrespect your great post, Comic Reader Lad, but Giffen actually returned in issue #50

Quote Originally Posted by caj View Post
    Not trying to disrespect your great post, Comic Reader Lad, but Giffen actually returned in issue #50

Actually, my memory was that he returned with #50, but that didn't seem to make it from my brain to my post, and I didn't research it properly.

Your correction is appreciated. It's important to give accurate information.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Stone View Post

Loved the Cockrum art of the couples. But did they really paid Invisible Kid and Chemical King?
    That's forward thinking for the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Hunter View Post
    The Wanderers (same characters before and after they were killed and cloned)

I actually liked a lot the 80s Wandereres series.

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Hunter View Post
    I really hope they do at least one more. I loved the Fatal Five story.
    Me too.

Peace

Quote Originally Posted by Nomads1 View Post
    Loved the Cockrum art of the couples. But did they really paid Invisible Kid and Chemical King?

Peace

In the original pre-5YL Legion, they never had gay couples. Both Invisible Kid and Chemical King were killed off in the 1970s, and I don't know if they ever even appeared in the same issue together where they directly interacted until "untold stories" published after both of their deaths such as in Legion 1984 series 59 from 1989.

In that story, if you wanted to, you could read a deeper level of caring between the two beyond friendship, but I-Kid was using his science know-how to help C-King whose mutant abilities were killing him.

The only real hint of a relationship between I-Kid and C-King is from the Encyclopedia of the DC Universe in reference to the Reboot (post-Zero Hour Archie Legion) versions of the characters. However, this relationship was apparently not specified overtly in the comics beyond a note discreetly passed from Condo Arlik (C-King's real name), a reporter in the Reboot version, to I-Kid saying "Can't wait to see you" from Legionnaires 59, 1998.

Last edited by Comic-Reader Lad; 02-17-2019 at 08:34 PM.

Here's some fun fanmade Legion wallpapers!

Here's a pic of some DC Direct Legion figures. Does anyone have the full set?

OK, we've heard from people like me who favor the original, classic Legion (aka the only Legion that matters)

We've heard from people who love the post-Zero Hour Reboot Legion (aka the Archie Legion)

But, did anyone enjoy the Threeboot Legion started by Mark Waid/Barry Kitson (aka the Eat It, Grandpa Legion)?

I never saw the need for a Three-boot. IMHO, there was nothing in the Waid and Kitson initial run that could not have been done with the DnA Legion with just a little creative tweaking. That said, I liked what Shooter and Manapul did with the Three-boot Legion, untill DC stepped in and ruined the whole thing in favor of bringing back John's" sort-of the original Legion" reboot.

Peace

In the original pre-5YL Legion, they never had gay couples. Both Invisible Kid and Chemical King were killed off in the 1970s, and I don't know if they ever even appeared in the same issue together where they directly interacted until "untold stories" published after both of their deaths such as in Legion 1984 series 59 from 1989.

In that story, if you wanted to, you could read a deeper level of caring between the two beyond friendship, but I-Kid was using his science know-how to help C-King whose mutant abilities were killing him.

The only real hint of a relationship between I-Kid and C-King is from the Encyclopedia of the DC Universe in reference to the Reboot (post-Zero Hour Archie Legion) versions of the characters. However, this relationship was apparently not specified overtly in the comics beyond a note discreetly passed from Condo Arlik (C-King's real name), a reporter in the Reboot version, to I-Kid saying "Can't wait to see you" from Legionnaires 59, 1998.

I was aware of the later stories. I just didn't know if anything was implied in the original stories (I started sporadically reading Legion shortly before SLSH#200, but really collected it in full only after SLSH#225). Thanks for clarifying my doubt.

Peace

I was aware of the later stories. I just didn't know if anything was implied in the original stories (I started sporadically reading Legion shortly before SLSH#200, but really collected it in full only after SLSH#225). Thanks for clarifying my doubt.

Peace
    Lol.
    Chemical King comes off a little infatuated and a tad bit obsessive.Like he's having his first crush.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

I think it's a fan made image.
    I recognize quite a few from Legion Fact File pages and the new costume pages in the Digest.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

started superboy and the legion of super-heroes volume two and "earthwar." garth, imra, bouncing boy, and duo damsel are the last (kind of?) legionnaires left to save the day. hope to finish "earthwar" up tonight.

did the khunds get a post-crisis makeover? they're rather human-looking here, most/all depictions of khund warriors from my collection are a bit more brutish.

i'm still not used to apologetic brainy.

brainiac 5: let's take a cruiser and check this out.

element lad: i'm the deputy leader, i make the calls.

brainiac 5: oh sorry my bad.