Page 28 of 46 FirstFirst ... 1824252627282930313238 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

I got a kick out of the weird friendship between Drake & Jacques during the 1980's run. Perhaps because they were complete opposites in power & personality. They kinda remind me of John Stewart & Guy Gardner.

It was funny when Drake would "haunt" Jacques in his energy form.

Another funny combo was Blok & Timberwolf. Two other members who were opposites.

It is a shame that these friendships were never revisited.
    Last edited by Anthony Shaw; 03-12-2019 at 11:04 AM.

Re: Timberwolf/Blok, I was never able to tell if it was friendly ribbing or outright dickishness on Timberwolf's part.

BANNED

I'm about to finih Superboy and the legion of super heroes, vol. 2

The League of Assassins was not half bad villains team, i really enjoyed the Legion of Sabsitude Heroes, they were really capable in this story... Especially the Polar Boy and Fire boy or whatever they call him... the kid who controls plants were pretty strong as well actually, it's not a silly power, Night Girl and Color Kid are hopeless cases though... lol but even they came though in this story under Braniac 5's guidance, he made a cool plan. But Braniac 5 actually lost it 1 arc ago, created a creature called Omega to destory the universe.... Omega was not that good desing wise... very bland and lame and Braniac saved everyone at the cost of Matter Eater Lad's senity... :/ If he wasn't still half insane, He wouldn't put Matter Eater Lad at harms way like that, i believe... Superboy and his suspended animation nonsense in The league of Assassins arc was really silly... lol

Not worse than how they beat the lame villain Morduru in earth war though... lol Element Lad buriying Morduru with manuplating Hydrogen atoms in space or something... lol like there aren't hydrogen atoms on Earth.... lol They never think anything through with this stories... Almost all of them are filled with gaint plot holes. Were they all children when they wrote Superboy and LOSH ? There was a Superman vs Superboy story, that was enjoyable even if the silliness. lol I enjoyed the first trade more actually... it was better.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Adset View Post
    Re: Timberwolf/Blok, I was never able to tell if it was friendly ribbing or outright dickishness on Timberwolf's part.
    I think it was a bit of both. Look at his relationship with Ayla. I love the character, but Brin is something of an a-hole, imo.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Gurz View Post
    Almost all of them are filled with gaint plot holes. Were they all children when they wrote Superboy and LOSH ?
    It got even worse from #260 thru 280. That's why fans were so excited during the Levitz/Giffen era. Finally, the book had creators who seemed to know what to do with it. It was head and shoulders above anything we had read in almost a decade for the Legion.

Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    The last page of this preview may interest you all.......A LOT.

Superman issue #9 preview https://www.dccomics.com/blog/2019/0...es-world-peace

Context: this is a symbolic vision likely being had by Clark. This is similar to a symbolic vision Zod had in a past issue during this run, so there's nothing to suggest we take this as a future that will be, but rather symbolic ideas. Also, Bendis has confirmed that he's working towards the United Planets as an addition to modern day DC.

Anyways, notice the shadowy group at the end of the preview? See any familiar figures? I spot Gates over by the far left, and Bouncing Boy just above Zod's right arm. Speaking of arms: notice how Jon Kent has a robotic arm in this vision? I think the idea is a symbolic hint at Lightning Lad given the fact that he famously lost his arm and had it replaced with a robotic one. I also think it's a hint at Jon's inclusion in the group on some level down the line.

Hope you all find this interesting!
    So, the issue came out - did anyone read it? What's the extent of the Legion's appearance?

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    So, the issue came out - did anyone read it? What's the extent of the Legion's appearance?

That one panel with the shadowy figures, if it is indeed the Legion, is the extent of it. They are not seen or discussed before or after that single image.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Shaw View Post
    I think it was a bit of both. Look at his relationship with Ayla. I love the character, but Brin is something of an a-hole, imo.
    Yeah, but Levitz also had Phantom Girl and Shadow Lass be an a-hole to him as well. For some reason, Levitz was determined to make Phantom Girl rather mean.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by caj View Post
    Yeah, but Levitz also had Phantom Girl and Shadow Lass be an a-hole to him as well. For some reason, Levitz was determined to make Phantom Girl rather mean.
    I like to think Phantom Girl was more nonsense. IIRC, she had an ax to grind with Colossal Boy after Jo was framed for murder.

And both Jo & Jan had issues with Dream Girl.

I liked how the team was far from perfect.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Shaw View Post
    And both Jo & Jan had issues with Dream Girl.
    I understood Jo's issues with Dreamy due to how she treated him once he became her Deputy.

But I never understood Jan's anger with her. All she did was choose to run for leader, which is the right of any full time member of the Legion. He acted like she personally attacked him. She welcomed him to be her Deputy and he flatly turned her down and then continued to name-call and insult her. He should've been angry with all the Legionnaires who VOTED FOR HER. They are the ones who caused him to lose, not her. She did nothing wrong to him.

Extraordinary Member

I understood Jo's issues with Dreamy due to how she treated him once he became her Deputy.

But I never understood Jan's anger with her. All she did was choose to run for leader, which is the right of any full time member of the Legion. He acted like she personally attacked him. She welcomed him to be her Deputy and he flatly turned her down and then continued to name-call and insult her. He should've been angry with all the Legionnaires who VOTED FOR HER. They are the ones who caused him to lose, not her. She did nothing wrong to him.
    I chalked it up to human nature. Also, with Dreamy's power, it can be easy to be irrational when you want something bad, and she in a matter of fact way says no (and she is proven right in the end). It almost like spitting in the wind dealing with her.

I don't think Jan anger (if you can call it that) was specifically directed at Dreamy. The way I see it, it WAS actually frustration directed at the team as a whole for being taken for granted, for always being the good and dependable deputy leader, but never good enough for the top spot, especially when you consider that the Legion was basically his whole life. Dreamy was just the most obvious and accessible target, and the fact that she seemed not to take the election very seriously and won only drove that knife a little bit deeper. He soon seemed to get over it.

Peace

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Nomads1 View Post
    I don't think Jan anger (if you can call it that) was specifically directed at Dreamy. The way I see it, it WAS actually frustration directed at the team as a whole for being taken for granted, for always being the good and dependable deputy leader, but never good enough for the top spot, especially when you consider that the Legion was basically his whole life. Dreamy was just the most obvious and accessible target, and the fact that she seemed not to take the election very seriously and won only drove that knife a little bit deeper. He soon seemed to get over it.

Peace
    Perhaps, but it did seem like a lot of his attacks were personal against her. Like when he and Shvaughn were playing Scrabble and she told him to stop thinking of Dream Girl because he had spelled the words 'nag', 'shrew', and 'dictator'. It just seemed immature of him, but I guess it did provide him with a side we'd never seen of him before.

There was plenty of petty sniping amongst the Legionnaires back in the day. It never became a problem, but it was quite clique-ish and high school. I appreciated it - it was never bad enough to make me think less of any of them, but it humanized them, and helped to differentiate them. It makes sense that in a group as large as the Legion, not all personalities would get along on a personal level.

Extraordinary Member

Jan got ticked at Brainy during Earth War, IIRC. Jan was the deputy leader, but Brainy was doing more backseat driving than usual.