Page 33 of 46 FirstFirst ... 2329303132333435363743 ... LastLast
    Ultimate Member

Tyroc's red costume was my favorite. The white one he started with, with the color, bare legs and pixie shoes, yikes. That would indeed qualify as my least favorite Legion costume! (Although there was an era when everyone seemed to wear tights and giant boxy-shouldered crap-brown 1950's-style leather bomber jackets, in which case, pretty much *everyone* was wearing my 'least favorite outfit' during that, thankfully, brief, time period.)

I thought Cos' bustier was funny, if only because he was hanging around with other super-peeps wearing swimwear (Saturn Girl and Dream Girl, for two examples), so it just seemed like sauce for the gander. But yeah, all superheroes in swimwear, who aren't at least bulletproof, need to smarten up... Shadow Lass looks sexy as hell in a full bodysuit, so there's no need for her to be wearing a bikini into combat. Her skin is blue, not blade-and-blaster-proof! She'd be a mass of scars!

Others come and go. Element Lad's green and blue costume with the phallic arrow pointing up and the metal pyramidal spikes on the arms was hilarious. Cham has never had a costume worth a damn (although Durlans apparently have the same color palettes of orange and purple as Carggites...). Mon-El's reversal of Superboy's classic colors is great, and never needs to be updated, IMO. Saturn Girl looks appropriately 'iron-butt' in her vaguely fascist 'thought police' uniform, more so when it's red and white than pink and white. Dawnstar can't win. She finally gets some coverage on her legs, and now her boobs are hanging out. Do you know what happens to a shirt with a boob window when you are flying at Mach 7 in atmosphere?

"What's that scrap of cloth?"
    "Dawnstar's shirt ripped clean off her body."
    "Again? I've got a spare in one of these pouches, I'm sure..."
    "Here Dawny, it's a T-shirt that reads, 'I hit Mach 7, and all I got was (friction burns on my cleavage and) this stupid t-shirt.'"

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Comic-Reader Lad View Post
    Mike Grell's Cosmic Boy and Colossal Boy costumes were pretty awful. At least Colossal Boy got switched back to the Cockrum one relatively quickly.
    Keith Giffen's purple Yera/Shrinking Violet costume was pretty awful (it only lasted about 5 issues before the real Violet was found).

But yeah, Grell's Cosmic Boy and Colossal Boy costumes have to be two of the very worst ever. I was embarrassed for Colossal Boy and he's not even a real person.

Last edited by caj; 04-05-2019 at 09:52 AM.

Loved seeing the LoS featured in Justice League vs The Fatal Five. Only one issue. My favorite Legionnaire Timber Wolf was missing from the gallery! Wtf Bruce Timm?!?

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Hunter View Post
    I thought the Nu52 facelift Tyroc got was pretty good. It was definitely the best look he has had up to this point.

Yeah I loved Tyroc’s new costume. In fact I really enjoyed that Legion Lost series. I know I may be in the minority on that one.

Astonishing Member

Mike Grell's Cosmic Boy and Colossal Boy costumes were pretty awful. At least Colossal Boy got switched back to the Cockrum one relatively quickly.

There have been others that didn't do anything for me, but those two were the only ones I actively disliked from the pre-Giffen days.

When Giffen came back in Legion 50, he soon designed some new looks with #54. None of which I liked.

Worst Wildfire and Ultra boy looks ever and Dawny isn't great but not as bad as the other two.

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    Loved seeing the LoS featured in Justice League vs The Fatal Five. Only one issue. My favorite Legionnaire Timber Wolf was missing from the gallery! Wtf Bruce Timm?!?

Yeah I loved Tyroc’s new costume. In fact I really enjoyed that Legion Lost series. I know I may be in the minority on that one.
    I also have a soft spot for that series. It had some of my favorite legionnaires in the team. It suffered a lot and seemed to lose itself after Fabian Nicieza left the writing chores.

There have been others that didn't do anything for me, but those two were the only ones I actively disliked from the pre-Giffen days.

When Giffen came back in Legion 50, he soon designed some new looks with #54. None of which I liked.

I liked Giffen's Kevin McGuire phase, but these costumes were mostly crap. Thankfully, they lasted so briefly I barely remember them.
    Adding to the terrible bathing suit costumes of that era, I'll go with Laurel Kent. I really don't know if the poncho was an actual improvement. If I'm not mistaken, they gave Night Girl a bathing suit also, but that didn't last much.

Peace
    Last edited by Nomads1; 04-03-2019 at 02:10 PM.

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post

Cham has never had a costume worth a damn (although Durlans apparently have the same color palettes of orange and purple as Carggites...)
    I actually didn't mind this look. I think the blue/white combo looks best against his orange skin. Much better than red/yellow or purple/yellow looks he has sported in the past.

Quote Originally Posted by Lonewolf36 View Post

Um, is that Arm-Fall-Off Boy in there?

I think so. Headwear looks right as well as the bumps on the arms.

Extraordinary Member

Legion of Super Bloggers - just wanted to share this website in case anyone is interested. The site reviews back issues (of just about all eras of Legion history), posts from the Who's Who in Legion, and has loads of other interesting things Legion of Super Heroes.

https://legionofsuperbloggers.blogspot.com/

Someone was asking about Legion of Super Heroes #260 - 280, which has not been collected in TPB yet. The reviews for those issues begins in October 2016 right here:

http://legionofsuperbloggers.blogspot.com/2016/10/

Extraordinary Member

Changing to a different discussion, which Legion death hit you the hardest or was the saddest? It can be a member, supporting character, or even a Legion villain.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by caj View Post
    Changing to a different discussion, which Legion death hit you the hardest or was the saddest? It can be a member, supporting character, or even a Legion villain.
    For the first 50 years or so, when Legionnaires died, it was a big deal, and both 'stuck' and 'mattered.' Ferro Lad, Invisible Lyle, Karate Kid, all had heroic deaths that weren't just cheap shots for effect, and that remained. No resurrections. No take-backs. Karate Kid was the one from 'my' generation (the eighties), so it was the one that struck me hardest. (Ferro Lad and Invisible Lyle were 'already dead' by the time I met them.)

More recent deaths, Sun Boy, Star Boy, Rond Vidar, Karate Kid II/Myg, etc. have just felt gimmicky and served to fluff up villains of no consequence or 'felt cheap' or otherwise failed to feel heroic or relevant. Even Kid Psycho, in Crisis on Infinite Earths, got a 'better' death than Star Boy or Sun Boy...

As for other continuities, Reboot Element Lad or Monstress would have to take the cake. I'd probably pick Monstress, because she was just so darn likable, and the Reboot version of Jan was less so (and didn't 'feel like my Jan,' so it didn't really hit me in the feels, and he didn't 100% stay dead anyway...).

Don't forget Supergirl and Superboy too... their deaths rocked the Legion.

Some of the hardest deaths were for characters I never even cared that much about - but their deaths were just really well-written:
    -- Sunboy in 5YL series. Just such a sad, downfall for the character and a hellish fate.
    -- Monstress. DnA made me care about her then *boom* - dead at the hand of another Legionnaire. Harsh.

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

Sunboy in the 5 years Latter... era was just so sad. Poor Dirk had lost everything becoming a pawn of the Dominators, and just when he is starting to try and redeem himself he gets just mutalated and left a disfigured shell of his former self.

Also from the 5 Years Latter was the fate of poor Blok. One of the most gentle souls in the Legion just utterly destroyed by Roxxas and then having his broken body parts sent to Lightning Lad and Saturn Girl's home.

Jewish & Proud Feminist Shadowcat's Avatar

I wonder if we’ll ever get the story about Tinya’s third other carggite form.
    Comic-Watch Reviewer

Titles:
    /Doctor Strange/Captain Marvel\Scarlet Witch\
    /Iron Man/Captain Britain/Wasp\X-Men\
    /JSA\/X-Treme X-Men\/WILDCATS\

https://comic-watch.com/author/baradtzgmail-com

Colossal Boy in the Zero Hour Reboot Legion. I was really rooting for him and Vi.

Peace