Page 9 of 46 FirstFirst ... 567891011121319 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Panic View Post
    That's stylish, is that Kyle Baker art?
    It sure is.
    Good eye!
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Stone View Post
    And a sketch I did of Shadow Lass:

Very nice work!

Very nice work!
    Thanks!

Another subscription ad...

That's stylish, is that Kyle Baker art?
    Definitely looks like Baker to me.

[edit] Oops - yes, I see that it was confirmed to be Baker.

I want to see more teams added to the Legion time The United Planets with less teams than modern era doesn't work for me. Bring back the Wanderers.

Astonishing Member Timothy Hunter's Avatar

I just purchased the first 12 issues of the Mon El solo series launched in late 1992? How good was it, and what am I in for? Also, is there any context that I need to know before I delve into this series?

Quote Originally Posted by Lonewolf36 View Post
    I want to see more teams added to the Legion time The United Planets with less teams than modern era doesn't work for me. Bring back the Wanderers.
    An Omega Men type team, fighting against a tyrannical non-UP world or system would fit.
    You'd just need some way to keep the Legion from stepping in and solving their problems for them.
    Maybe some red tape that restricts the Legion from interfering, possibly at a risk of losing a planet's support because they secretly made a pact with the offending world.

And some veteran members could leave the Legion and form their own offshoot teams, making room for new members.
    I could see Cosmic Boy and Night Girl doing that.

Maybe even White Witch and a new Dr. Fate forming a mystical team to combat Mordru.

Then there's the Green Lanterns.
    I'd probably limit them to between three and five members, though, to avoid them taking over the galaxy like they did in the 21st Century.

And, of course, a new Wanderers.
    Last edited by Lee Stone; 01-14-2019 at 09:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Timothy Hunter View Post
    I just purchased the first 12 issues of the Mon El solo series launched in late 1992? How good was it, and what am I in for? Also, is there any context that I need to know before I delve into this series?
    I, myself, didn't read Valor.
    But to help you avoid spoilers, I copied this snippet from Wikipedia that details the info leading into the series...

In the new "Glorithverse" reality, Lar Gand replaced the non-existent Superboy as the Legion's inspiration. As detailed in the story "The Legend of Valor" (Legion of Super-Heroes (vol. 4) Annual #2, 1991), Lar Gand would enjoy a heroic career in the 20th century as Valor, stopping a second Dominator-led invasion of Earth, freeing thousands of humans who had been experimented on by the Dominators and seeding them on a series of worlds between Dominion space and Earth as a "buffer zone" to prevent future invasions.
    The article then goes into detailing the Valor series.

Extraordinary Member

I finally bite the bullet, and ordered the Great Darkness saga. I have only read the first chapters, so far. I am about to read the annual that introduced the second Invisible Kid.

The stories are pretty good, and the early Giffen art is great.

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Timothy Hunter View Post
    I liked the series as a whole, but it starts to get weird with issue 12 and the DOA storyline. At that point they knew they were rebooting the Legion series and decided to more closely tie it with Valor with the Legion being a big part of the DOA story. It starts to get really wonky with a ton of time travel being involved from the middle of DOA to the end of the series where it is apart of the "final" Legion story before the reboot. The first 12 issues you get things like the Blasters, Green Lanterns, Darkstars, L.E.G.I.O.N., Lobo, and Supergirl.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lonewolf36 View Post
    The cool thing about the Wanderers were that the ladies were serious heavy hitters, and the dudes, eh. Quantum Queen can fly and throw ridiculously powerful zaps. Celebrand... has a gun?

The assorted heroes outside of the Legion, like the Silver Sword, Energax, Dev-Em, Atmos, the mutant Heroes of Lallor, etc. certainly hinted at lots of potential stories to be told, as well as the many, many worlds that may have had heroes, or entire *teams* of heroes of their own (and not all of them necessarily allies of the Legion), like Titan, Cargg, Imsk, Orando, Xanthu, Khundia, Murra, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Hunter View Post
    I liked the series as a whole, but it starts to get weird with issue 12 and the DOA storyline. At that point they knew they were rebooting the Legion series and decided to more closely tie it with Valor with the Legion being a big part of the DOA story. It starts to get really wonky with a ton of time travel being involved from the middle of DOA to the end of the series where it is apart of the "final" Legion story before the reboot. The first 12 issues you get things like the Blasters, Green Lanterns, Darkstars, L.E.G.I.O.N., Lobo, and Supergirl.
    speaking of valor: my introduction to the legion was the ZH version, and i never read the valor series. having said that, considering what valor meant to the united planets in the ZH reboot legion, i've always (perhaps ignorantly) assumed they made valor into the post-crisis/ZH stand-in for superboy/superman, since the legion couldn't take inspiration from the supers anymore. am i off base?

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

Your not too far off base. There was an Annual before ZH that showed why Valor became such an important figure to some worlds in the UP. Basically after the Invasion crossover the Dominators kidnapped a ton of humans to experiment on. These experiments gave large groups of them the same powers and since they would have a hard time fitting in back on Earth Valor took them to different planets to create sort of a buffer zone of colonies. These colonies latter went on to become members of the UP in the Legions time, and many members of the Legion came form these worlds.

Valor was a decent enough comic. I don't think it was ever anything special, but it was fun to see a version of Mon-El solo-starring monthly.

The one thing I did not like was Mark Bright's redesign of Mon-El and his costume. Truly atrocious.

- The odd crewcut
    - The big-ass cape holders
    - The shoulder pads
    - The short sleeves
    - The fingerless gloves
    - The belt pouches (mandatory for the 90s)

Plus there was the weird, nonsensical way the cape could retract into the cape holders. The cape is ONE PIECE! Doesn't make sense.