Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Agree.
    I think they made a tactical error separating Widow and Winter Soldier. And I agree that as a supporting character perhaps with his own arc in Cap he’d be better received. Other than his original solo title working with Natasha, Stilwell, SHIELD and Fury, its been hit or miss. Very inconsistent and generally without a cohesive theme. Personally for me, they veered away too quickly from his Soviet redemption arc. Lot of uncovered ground in that gulag.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by tliscord View Post
    Agree.
    I think they made a tactical error separating Widow and Winter Soldier. And I agree that as a supporting character perhaps with his own arc in Cap he’d be better received. Other than his original solo title working with Natasha, Stilwell, SHIELD and Fury, its been hit or miss. Very inconsistent and generally without a cohesive theme. Personally for me, they veered away too quickly from his Soviet redemption arc. Lot of uncovered ground in that gulag.
    Yep. The only recent series with Bucky that I've enjoyed was probably Tales of Suspense, and that was him sharing the spotlight with Clint and Nat. I think a team book with Nat and Bucky would probably be a lot better than their current mediocre solo books.

As for his Brubaker solo and Marvel splitting him up from Natasha, I was always under the impression that it was done to free up Nat with the Avengers movie coming out at the time.

Tales of Suspense was wonderful. I wish that continue. OR I wish Rosenberg carried it over into Punisher more than he did.

trente-et-un/treize responsarbre's Avatar

I'm surprised at the negativity -- I like what they're doing with Bucky lately. I think the current mini is decent, and that his role in Invaders is great, as are his recurring appearances elsewhere. (I also think that putting him with the Thunderbolts was an inspired idea, that was just slightly derailed by that book having the single worst artist in comics and having to tie into Spencer's Cap at every other moment.)

And for those that miss his partnership with Natasha, they kinda sorta seem to be working together again everywhere except their own books? Rosenberg always shows them as a unit in his books, and War of the Realms has them working together.

The way Brubaker left Winter Soldier early and ended Bucky and Natasha's relationship with memory shenanigans was damaging to both characters, but moreso to Natasha, who never got the space to react to what happened.
    I don't disagree that Marvel is unsure of where to take Bucky, but I kind of enjoy the fact that they're trying some unexpected things. As much as I would have loved Jason Latour to keep on writing 50 more issues like the Electric Ghost arc, there's something nice about the idea of Bucky evolving past Brubaker's initial storyline.

Quote Originally Posted by disillusion386 View Post
    Yep. The only recent series with Bucky that I've enjoyed was probably Tales of Suspense, and that was him sharing the spotlight with Clint and Nat. I think a team book with Nat and Bucky would probably be a lot better than their current mediocre solo books.
    I'm iffy on the idea of Black Widow/Winter Soldier working together right now, to be honest. Their relationship was really positive under Brubaker and Liu; it was about moving forward and meeting each other as the noble people that they really are.
    Natasha's in a dark place right now, and it's a little :/ for me that she's asking Bucky to help her out with all these dark and brutal things she's doing, when in the past, she hadn't even entertained the idea of getting together with Bucky until she was sure that he was putting in the work to be a good person and work past his trauma.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by responsarbre View Post
    I'm surprised at the negativity -- I like what they're doing with Bucky lately. I think the current mini is decent, and that his role in Invaders is great, as are his recurring appearances elsewhere. (I also think that putting him with the Thunderbolts was an inspired idea, that was just slightly derailed by that book having the single worst artist in comics and having to tie into Spencer's Cap at every other moment.)
    Don't get me wrong, I think the current mini is fine, but that's about it. I actually really like the premise and do think that it's a natural progression of his character arc, but Higgins's execution is missing the mark. Three issues in, and I'm still struggling to figure out why I should care about this newly-introduced RJ character. Maybe there's a massive payoff in the last two issues, but I very highly doubt it. Who knows, perhaps a more established villain would have had more impact instead of this new character.

Higgins does have a good feel and voice for Bucky, at the very least, but other than that, once the mini's over, I doubt it'll be memorable for me.

I'm iffy on the idea of Black Widow/Winter Soldier working together right now, to be honest. Their relationship was really positive under Brubaker and Liu; it was about moving forward and meeting each other as the noble people that they really are.
    Natasha's in a dark place right now, and it's a little :/ for me that she's asking Bucky to help her out with all these dark and brutal things she's doing, when in the past, she hadn't even entertained the idea of getting together with Bucky until she was sure that he was putting in the work to be a good person and work past his trauma.
    And maybe that's just it, I don't like the current direction in the Black Widow mini, and I wished she was in a more positive place instead. I can understand it though with what happened in Secret Empire, but it's a bit on the extreme end. Hell, if Bucky is out helping people find redemption, why couldn't he help steer Nat from a very dark path she's currently on? Kind of like how she helped him when he was going through something similar in Brubaker's Cap run.

trente-et-un/treize responsarbre's Avatar

Directing my energy in hope that they finally decide to cut Bucky's hair for the Falcon & Winter Soldier series. Please. Please end my misery

^^ I 100% agree. They really need to cut Bucky's hair.

what a shame. RJ had a cool design. he'd make a decent Thunderbolt (better than Jolt, at least).

Amazing Member

Mini's done, and while I enjoyed the character study, it didn't really move Bucky's status forward. I'll be interested to see where Marvel will take him next, but sadly I think he'll be stuck as a minor supporting character until someone figures him out.

Another forgettable series.

I'm convinced that Marvel has no idea what to do with Bucky.
    "Who wouldn't go out with the Black Widow? I'd strangle a litter of kittens for one dinner with her!"
    Adrian Toomes aka the Vulture

"Natasha Romanoff, A.K.A. Black Widow - ex-KGB, formerly with S.H.I.E.L.D...Probably the brains of this operation.I have followed her career, and she has been consistently UNDERRATED."

Spectacular Member

I guess this is the next place we'll see Bucky. He'll be in War Of The Realms Strikeforce: The War Avengers. Natasha will also be in there.

759107._SX360_QL80_TTD_.jpg

https://www.comixology.com/War-Of-Th...l-comic/759107

Avengers Endgame spoiler.
    spoilers:
    Bucky got passed over. Sam now has the shield.
    end of spoilers
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by SlimJ87D View Post
    I guess this is the next place we'll see Bucky. He'll be in War Of The Realms Strikeforce: The War Avengers. Natasha will also be in there.

759107._SX360_QL80_TTD_.jpg

https://www.comixology.com/War-Of-Th...l-comic/759107
    What a team!!

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Avengers Endgame spoiler.
    spoilers:
    Bucky got passed over. Sam now has the shield.
    end of spoilers
    spoilers:
    Fit with the old man ending though.
    end of spoilers
    Last edited by Godlike13; 04-26-2019 at 01:03 AM.

How Endgame Sets Up the Falcon & Winter Soldier TV Series

(WARNING: The following article contains spoilers for Avengers: Endgame, in theaters now.)

https://www.cbr.com/avengers-endgame...der-tv-series/

deodato WS.jpg
    Last edited by Winterboy; 04-29-2019 at 10:14 AM.
    "Who wouldn't go out with the Black Widow? I'd strangle a litter of kittens for one dinner with her!"
    Adrian Toomes aka the Vulture

"Natasha Romanoff, A.K.A. Black Widow - ex-KGB, formerly with S.H.I.E.L.D...Probably the brains of this operation.I have followed her career, and she has been consistently UNDERRATED."