Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Default James Buchanan "Bucky" Barnes, The Winter Soldier Appreciation 2019

Happy New Year to all fans of Bucky! And a new Appreciation thread for 2019!

Bucky's currently got his own solo series and will soon be appearing in a new Invaders book, as well as recurring in the Captain America ongoing.

"Who wouldn't go out with the Black Widow? I'd strangle a litter of kittens for one dinner with her!"
    Adrian Toomes aka the Vulture

"Natasha Romanoff, A.K.A. Black Widow - ex-KGB, formerly with S.H.I.E.L.D...Probably the brains of this operation.I have followed her career, and she has been consistently UNDERRATED."

My current laptop wallpaper

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Another character I never read but want to, I just need one simple but big answer.

Do his days as Bucky, Captain America's kid sidekick in World War II, ever became relevant to his story as a The Winter Soldier beyond acting as flashbacks?
    Meaning can I just rely on the flashback to know Bucky's past? I don't need to go back to the 40s and read his childhood days?

I tried reading them but it was so old and seems irrelevant.

Amazing Member

I really wish this current mini was an ongoing or even a maxi series. The plot itself is interesting, but could be improved if there were more issues to hash out RJ's background. With just five issues, the pacing feels really rushed.

Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post
    Another character I never read but want to, I just need one simple but big answer.

Do his days as Bucky, Captain America's kid sidekick in World War II, ever became relevant to his story as a The Winter Soldier beyond acting as flashbacks?
    Meaning can I just rely on the flashback to know Bucky's past? I don't need to go back to the 40s and read his childhood days?

You can start at Brubaker's Captain America run. That's what I did and haven't had any problems understanding things that happened in the WWII era.

Brubaker made a new character called Bucky using the old character as part of the pie, so you can just start with Brubaker.
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

Brubaker wrote Winter Soldier right? That's what I need. Thanks.

Brubaker wrote Winter Soldier right? That's what I need. Thanks.
    But the story really begins in Brubaker’s Captain America run. So I would start there.

Issue 2 was ok. RJ is, well, I guess we’ll see. Art remains strong and I’m interested to see were this goes.
    Last edited by Godlike13; 01-03-2019 at 09:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Godlike13 View Post
    But the story really begins in Brubaker’s Captain America run. So I would start there.
    Which was really a Winter Soldier title anyway

Yes, that's what I meant by Brubaker's Winter Soldier. First appearance of the Winter Soldier in his Captain America run.

14688._SX1280_QL80_TTD_.jpg

Captain America: Winter Soldier Vol. 1
    Collects Captain America (2004) #1-7. Cap is awakened in the dead of the night by agents of S.H.I.E.L.D., who need the kind of help only he can provide. But the corpse he finds on the Heli-carrier brings him face-to-face with an unthinkable return, and opens doors to terror and manipulation he never dreamed possible!
    Age Rating: 12+

I've been eyeing this book for a while. It was heavily promoted when the movie came out too. I just held off on it because of the aforementioned reason.

Found it! Been waiting for the new one to show up.

Bucky and Nat by Danieli Afferni.

daniele afferni .jpg
    "Who wouldn't go out with the Black Widow? I'd strangle a litter of kittens for one dinner with her!"

"Natasha Romanoff, A.K.A. Black Widow - ex-KGB, formerly with S.H.I.E.L.D...Probably the brains of this operation.I have followed her career, and she has been consistently UNDERRATED."

Winter Soldier in Invaders series...
    winter soldier promo.jpg

Awesome...
    awesome winter soldier.jpg