Page 10 of 31 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131420 ... LastLast
    BANNED

The very first CAPTAIN MARVEL woman respected!!!

The glistening golden avenger CAPTAIN MARVEL

by TheCosmicBeholder

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by steve2275 View Post
    https://marvel.fandom.com/wiki/Carol...rs_(Earth-616) and pair them up more
    RIP MARVEL HEROES 04.06.2013 - 27.11.2017
    Transformers TCG player

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

You can't pair up Carol and Monica more without Monica coming across as Falcon to Carol's Captain America. Carol is the franchise character. Monica is the support/help/afterthought.

Now if a year from now there's word that a Spectrum movie is in development and Monica starts getting a major push like Carol is getting now, then sure. But they both have to come this as equals. Equals.
    “True peace is not merely the absence of tension; it is the presence of justice.”
    ~Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

“If I love you, I have to make you conscious of what you don’t see.”
    ~James Baldwin

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by JudicatorPrime View Post
    You can't pair up Carol and Monica more without Monica coming across as Falcon to Carol's Captain America. Carol is the franchise character. Monica is the support/help/afterthought.

Now if a year from now there's word that a Spectrum movie is in development and Monica starts getting a major push like Carol is getting now, then sure. But they both have to come this as equals. Equals.
    You could without racism, but we all hollywood 100% racist people.

Quote Originally Posted by goku200 View Post
    It's not even about racism. If the point of the latest projects is to give Carol all of the star treatment, there's no way for anyone who isn't already an established franchise character to shine, unless they swap hats and become the villain. We saw it in Ultimates. Carol was able to add a number of feats to her lapel and take the aggressive alpha role, despite the fact that she was arguably the weakest member of the Ultimates, aside from T'Challa. The only way that I'd want Monica to be anywhere near Carol is if I know that Monica is going to get the hero treatment as often as, if not more than, Carol.
    “True peace is not merely the absence of tension; it is the presence of justice.”

~James Baldwin

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by goku200 View Post
    Well now she is being used by some folks as a weapon to boycott the movie with the claim she was the FIRST Cap Marvel-never mind the original guy.

So using her a sidekick to Carol will just add even more fuel to that growing fire.

So yes you would have to giver her a movie of her own. Which could be done if you want to cover what she was doing while Carol was gone. If we are talking Carol being gone since 1990-that would give you 29 years to create Monica. While she would be younger than Carol-you can show how she got powers and go from there. Even introduce a younger Ms Marvel.

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    Well now she is being used by some folks as a weapon to boycott the movie with the claim she was the FIRST Cap Marvel-never mind the original guy.
    I can't speak for others, but I've seen the movie previews. I definitely didn't see anything in them to encourage me to reach for my wallet. When you throw in everything else that they're doing to the Marvel canon and lore, I can see why people might skip the movie. The movie is going to be a box office success either way due to zeitgeist and propitious release date. The only thing in doubt, really, is will it receive critical acclaim and Oscar consideration like Black Panther did … because that's the new standard now.
    Last edited by JudicatorPrime; 02-10-2019 at 01:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post

So using her a sidekick to Carol will just add even more fuel to that growing fire.

So yes you would have to giver her a movie of her own. Which could be done if you want to cover what she was doing while Carol was gone. If we are talking Carol being gone since 1990-that would give you 29 years to create Monica. While she would be younger than Carol-you can show how she got powers and go from there. Even introduce a younger Ms Marvel.
    The complaints about Monica being the first Captain Marvel are almost as bad as the complaints about turning Green Lantern white when the Ryan Renalds GL movie came out. If people have time to compain about these characters on social media, they have time to actually Google them.

I'm not sure she's going to her her own movie to be honest. Marvel only makes like 3 a year and with all the Fox stuff coming their way I'm sure their schedule will be packed. But if fans like her, there's no reason she can't at least show up in Avengers in addition to the Captain Marvel movie.

Quote Originally Posted by JudicatorPrime View Post
    I can't speak for others, but I've seen the movie previews. I definitely didn't see anything in them to encourage me to reach for my wallet. When you throw in everything else that they're doing to the Marvel canon and lore, I can see why people might skip the movie. The movie is going to be a box office success either way due to zeitgeist and propitious release date. The only thing in doubt, really, is will it receive critical acclaim and Oscar consideration like Black Panther did … because that's the new standard now.
    So far only one super hero movie has ever really received Oscar consideration, so I don't think too many people will be disappointed if Captain Marvel doesn't achieve that.

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    The complaints about Monica being the first Captain Marvel are almost as bad as the complaints about turning Green Lantern white when the Ryan Renalds GL movie came out. If people have time to compain about these characters on social media, they have time to actually Google them.
    That's not quite right. From what I've read, the complaint isn't that Monica isn't being depicted as the first Captain Marvel, but the first FEMALE Captain Marvel. To the extent that there is a comparison that can be made to the GL movie, it's one of version preference. The controversy surrounding the GL movie was understandable. You have to remember that a generation of the general public -- i.e., the viewing/paying audience -- were only really familiar with John Stewart GL. You can't blame them for voicing their disapproval. The movie bombed in part because there were enough of them that decided that they preferred the version of GL that they were more accustomed to seeing. You can't fault them for that.

In any event, MCU Carol will likely establish that Carol was the first Captain Marvel, male or female. We'll have to wait and see before we have the full details.

~James Baldwin

So far only one super hero movie has ever really received Oscar consideration, so I don't think too many people will be disappointed if Captain Marvel doesn't achieve that.
    Flag this for follow-up later. I'm betting we'll hear exactly what people expect after the movie drops.

~James Baldwin

BANNED

Black panther is an outlier. Lightning in a bottle. It's not the standard.

its more about being the first female captain marvel

But honestly I saw some of the channels talking about monica rambeau to talk about diversity posted by 616marvel... but then those guys are the very same ones who were mocking woc charas like kamala who's books are critically acclaimed and the character is well received even in terms of cultural impact , and others like riri (who's getting better with eve ewing writing)

I don't know but I feel like while they voice valid concerns (which I have heard from more earnest members), they're doing it for nefarious reasons and would do the same if it was monica

Anyway, I can relate to a character someone loves being side lined because carol was sidelined for like 20 years because of avengers 200 and rogue stealing her everything until kurt busiek started using her more.
    Last edited by Ichijinijisanji; 02-10-2019 at 01:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ichijinijisanji View Post
    Anyway, I can relate to a character someone loves being side lined because carol was sidelined for like 20 years because of avengers 200 and rogue stealing her everything until kurt busiek started using her more.
    Sometimes I think what Rogue did to Carol is still one of her best story arcs ever. Plus, I liked her as Binary. But enough about Carol. This is Monica's thread. (See, it's already happening. We can't talk about Monica without mentioning she who shall not be named. That's a shame.)

~James Baldwin

I just really hope something great for Monica comes out of Avengers No Road Home. Whether it's a solo ongoing or mini series or maybe being on whatever Avengers title Duggan has coming up. I just want my light lady to shine like she was always meant to shine.

Quote Originally Posted by Steroid View Post
    I just really hope something great for Monica comes out of Avengers No Road Home. Whether it's a solo ongoing or mini series or maybe being on whatever Avengers title Duggan has coming up. I just want my light lady to shine like she was always meant to shine.
    I think the simple fact that she's in the Captain Marvel movie will mean marvel will do more with her on the comics side. That's how it usually works at least. I think we'll be seeing more from her pretty soon.