Page 14 of 31 FirstFirst ... 410111213141516171824 ... LastLast
    BANNED

The very first CAPTAIN MARVEL woman respected!!!

Captain Marvel by jsenior

The Captain is a Marvel!!!

Quote Originally Posted by JudicatorPrime View Post
    We can only hope for positive reviews for Maria in the movie. I'm still not sure why it was absolutely necessary to tie Monica's history to Carol, but perhaps that will be made abundantly clear in the future when Monica appears in a future Avengers movie? I just hope that they didn't create Maria just to kill her off, or give Carol a sidekick.
    I don't think they'll kill her off, but she's probably going to serve a Peggy Carter role (just minus the love interest angle).
    Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    I don't think the movie is trying to make Maria a thing as much as it's just kind of a shout out.
    It seems to be much more then a shout out.

They're promoting Maria as a main character, having her be Carol's best friend, and seemingly involving her in the action and plot by the looks of some promotional material.

That is definitely a lot more then you would expect for a character who is seemingly on in this movie to set up Monica Rambeau.

We can only hope for positive reviews for Maria in the movie. I'm still not sure why it was absolutely necessary to tie Monica's history to Carol, but perhaps that will be made abundantly clear in the future when Monica appears in a future Avengers movie? I just hope that they didn't create Maria just to kill her off, or give Carol a sidekick.
    Not trying to burst anyone's bubble here...but I'm fairly positive they made Monica a kid in the movie so 1. They don't seem racist not using her at all and 2. so she couldn't get in the way of either Carol or the eventual Ms. Marvel.

Unless there is some out of nowhere demand for Monica in the current period of the MCU or if Brie as Captain Marvel bombs tremendously and the MCU decides to salvage it in some way with Monica, the chance of us see Monica as a superhero in the MCU are slim. (No one mistake this as me saying I want Brie or Captain Marvel to fail)

Which sucks for all of us who are fans of her's.

Edit: Another option would be if after Brie Larson's contract is up or close to being up...which is probably like 8-10 years from now.
    Last edited by DragonsChi; 02-24-2019 at 05:56 PM.
    Idea's Open Discussion And Growth. Silencing Idea's Confirms Them To Be True In The Minds Of Those Who Hold Them. The Attempt Of Eliminating Idea's Proves You To Be A Fool.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by DragonsChi View Post
    Not trying to burst anyone's bubble here...but I'm fairly positive they made Monica a kid in the movie so 1. They don't racist not using her at all and 2. so she couldn't get in the way of either Carol or the eventual Ms. Marvel.

Unless there is some out of nowhere demand for Monica in the current period of the MCU or if Brie as Captain Marvel bombs tremendously and the MCU decides to salvage it in some way with Monica, the chance of us see Monica as a superhero in the MCU are slim. (No one mistake this as me saying I want Brie or Captain Marvel to fail)

Monica is a kid in the movie--which is set in the past. Which means that in the present-day movies, Monica is an adult and perfectly placed to now become a hero in her own right. If they didn't want to at least set up the possibility of Spectrum/Photon appearing in the MCU, then they would have no need to introduce little girl Monica in a movie set in the 90s.

Quote Originally Posted by Dermie View Post
    Monica is a kid in the movie--which is set in the past. Which means that in the present-day movies, Monica is an adult and perfectly placed to now become a hero in her own right. If they didn't want to at least set up the possibility of Spectrum/Photon appearing in the MCU, then they would have no need to introduce little girl Monica in a movie set in the 90s.
    Maybe.

We will have to wait and see.
    Idea's Open Discussion And Growth. Silencing Idea's Confirms Them To Be True In The Minds Of Those Who Hold Them. The Attempt Of Eliminating Idea's Proves You To Be A Fool.

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

Not trying to burst anyone's bubble here...but I'm fairly positive they made Monica a kid in the movie so 1. They don't seem racist not using her at all and 2. so she couldn't get in the way of either Carol or the eventual Ms. Marvel.

Edit: Another option would be if after Brie Larson's contract is up or close to being up...which is probably like 8-10 years from now.
    I was speaking about Monica's mother, Maria. I fully acknowledge that they didn't have to use Maria or Monica in the movie. Frankly, I wish they had gone with someone from Kamala Khan's family. If not her mother, then perhaps a maternal aunt as Carol's fighter pilot wing woman. Or given that Carol has ties to the X-Men and they'll need to start integrating those characters into Disney's movies, why not introduce Changeling as a transgender shapeshifting mutant who just so happens to be her wing woman? Whatever works.

I don't think it makes them racist not to feature Maria or Monica in the movie. Samuel Jackson will be in it as Nick Fury. If that's not good enough, Carol dated Rhodey at one time. Just have Don Cheadle show up as the old flame who is trying to help her recover her memory...among other things. (And comedically failing miserably, because she can't remember him or their "wonderful night" at all.) Lots of ways they could have worked the script, if they wanted to.
    “True peace is not merely the absence of tension; it is the presence of justice.”
    ~Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

“If I love you, I have to make you conscious of what you don’t see.”
    ~James Baldwin

I was speaking about Monica's mother, Maria. I fully acknowledge that they didn't have to use Maria or Monica in the movie. Frankly, I wish they had gone with someone from Kamala Khan's family. If not her mother, then perhaps a maternal aunt as Carol's fighter pilot wing woman. Or given that Carol has ties to the X-Men and they'll need to start integrating those characters into Disney's movies, why not introduce Changeling as a transgender shapeshifting mutant who just so happens to be her wing woman? Whatever works.

I don't think it makes them racist not to feature Maria or Monica in the movie. Samuel Jackson will be in it as Nick Fury. If that's not good enough, Carol dated Rhodey at one time. Just have Don Cheadle show up as the old flame who is trying to help her recover her memory...among other things. (And comedically failing miserably, because she can't remember him or their "wonderful night" at all.) Lots of ways they could have worked the script, if they wanted to.
    Just to clarify...I wasn't saying they are racist or would be considered as such. I think they did it to alleviate any doubt that they would suggested to be such.

Right now there is currently fair amount of bad press dealing with the movie over groups of people many thought would be a non-issue. It just goes further to confirm that from a pure optics standpoint the company tried to cover their bases in that regard as best as they could with Monica.
    Last edited by DragonsChi; 02-24-2019 at 07:36 PM.

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

Just to clarify...I wasn't saying they are racist or would be considered as such. I think they did it to alleviate any doubt that they would suggested to be such.

Right now there is currently fair amount of bad press dealing with the movie over groups of people many thought would be a non-issue. It just goes further to confirm that from a pure optics standpoint the company tried to cover their bases in that regard as best as they could with Monica.
    I hear you. I wonder if having Monica in the movie will raise the very issues that they were hoping to avoid, once the general public begins to delve into the character's canon?

I hear you. I wonder if having Monica in the movie will raise the very issues that they were hoping to avoid, once the general public begins to delve into the character's canon?
    It would take someone notable to point out that Monica was the original female Captain Marvel for that to happen. However, I doubt anyone will for the sake that only Samuel Jackson is the only person on the Avengers who actually stated he grew up reading comics, that I know of, and has big enough pull to cause a wave.

To add to that Marvel has down a really good job of keeping all the other Captain Marvel's out of sight and out of mind. Pushing further and further into the back of the closet.

Personally, I would rather have Monica, she really was a outstanding character when she first debuted. But Carol will suffice for the time being.

BANNED

tfw you remember no road home is weekly

Still holding out hope over that the MCU is building toward assembling the ULTIMATES in a post-Avengers-End-Game world.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dermie View Post
    Could just be bait and switch to get people interested

BANNED

Where is the proof anything you just typed ?

BANNED

This makes sense.

Ultimate Member

Question would the film still be the same? Carol & Monica switch places and Maria is not there.

Are we still talking the same film?

I don't think you are going to get the same movie.

If they were going with her-who gets hired to write, direct and so on?

Does Ava Durvernay direct? Ryan Coolger?

Whose the writer? What gets tossed into that film that Carol does not have to deal with?

Also who plays Monica? Don't let it be a light skinned, biracial or foreign black woman.

And there are some black women who will tell Brie to take a seat and "this is how you upset men. Take notes."

It could get uglier than what we have seen so far.

The issue with Monica is she doesn't need the name. She has one that doesn't need Carol. Unless you somehow have her running around as the 90s Cap Marvel and she lost her power or vanished before Carol came back.