Page 16 of 31 FirstFirst ... 612131415161718192026 ... LastLast
    BANNED

The very first CAPTAIN MARVEL woman respected!!!

Quote Originally Posted by 616MarvelYear is LeapYear View Post

Captain Marvel - Homage Cover by Femmes-Fatales
    The Captain is a Marvel!!!

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

I loved the fact that Monica's parents were older and grounded her in ways that younger parents can't. Both parents formed her base. But here we go with Marvel and its agendas.

Quote Originally Posted by 616MarvelYear is LeapYear View Post

The Captain is a Marvel!!!
    I guess she could always be "Captain Spectrum" Or "Captain Photon" .

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Beats Starshadow, I guess. But I'm personally hoping that she leaves Mount Olympus as a Goddess. With Artemis, Eos, and all of those other goddesses of light and the dawn now dead, might as well anoint Monica as a successor.

For some reason youtube recommended this. An explanation of what an electromagnetic spectrum is. Thanks Nasa

https://youtu.be/cfXzwh3KadE

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Kurt Busiek said that if it was up to him he would have named her Capt Spectrum. On one hand it's a call back to her time as CM, on the other it's a call back to her civilian job as a boat captain.

spoilers:
    I really hope some of Carol's power spills over to Monica so we get Spectrum in the MCU.
    end of spoilers

Quote Originally Posted by krazijoe View Post
    spoilers:
    I really hope some of Carol's power spills over to Monica so we get Spectrum in the MCU.
    end of spoilers
    Marvel has hinted at that and Ms. Marvel.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by JudicatorPrime View Post
    FFS, they just had to go there, didn't they? Someone call me when this movie is out on blu ray/streaming.
    Well before you get too upset Momma Rambeau spoke on that.

https://shadowandact.com/lashana-lyn...-the-beginning

Maria is a Black single mother “raising a young queen,” who also happens to be an Air Force pilot in the '90s–a time when there were significantly less women, let alone Black women. “They very rarely get their chance to shine in their world,” Lynch said of Black female Air Force pilots. “They are out there fighting and it feels like, finally, we are able to say ‘thank you’ for their work,” she said.

There are two magical moments in the film between Maria and her young daughter, one where Maria declines an opportunity to fly into space to fight aliens and Monica asks her to consider the example she's setting for her daughter by not saving the world. Maria relents. “Monica is saying ‘me, as the daughter, I support you and I am here for you and I want you to live your best life, finally, because you’ve injected so much power within me,” Lynch said of that moment.

For Lynch, Maria’s single motherhood should also be celebrated. “We’re able to shine a light on single mothers, who literally are superheroes for their children, and who do an incredible job. We need to celebrate her [Maria] and celebrate the fact that she’s a single mother. Being a single mother, a Black single mother, that narrative on screen is oftentimes represented as a struggle–that’s simply not true for a lot of people’s lives.”

Lynch hopes that is the future of Black representation on film: "Marvel is making waves with cutting out what others, maybe, think communities want and actually just giving what people deserve,” Lynch said. “It’s not explained that Maria is a Black mother because she’s just a mother that happens to be Black. I think that’s what we need to hone in on when it comes to representation,” Lynch says. “We don’t have to explain where we come from and who we are, it’s already represented when we see each other on-screen. We shouldn’t have to explain every part of our culture, just be living it on screen.”
    Now they never explained why she was a single mother. So he could show up.

Yes I don't like they went there and I know there will be quite a few youtubers (not guys who hate Carol or the movie mind you) who will take issue with that.

It is funny a lot of black fathers are MIA in this stuff not named Spider-Man or Black Lightning or Static Shock.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by krazijoe View Post
    spoilers:
    end of spoilers
    Nope, Monia's powers are nothing like Carol's. Monia is more powerful and and her powers are unique.

very cool movie. we'll see where Maria shows up next in the movies. Hmm.

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    Well before you get too upset Momma Rambeau spoke on that.

https://shadowandact.com/lashana-lyn...-the-beginning

Now they never explained why she was a single mother. So he could show up.

Yes I don't like they went there and I know there will be quite a few youtubers (not guys who hate Carol or the movie mind you) who will take issue with that.

It is funny a lot of black fathers are MIA in this stuff not named Spider-Man or Black Lightning or Static Shock.
    Don't get me wrong, I applaud single mothers everywhere, irrespective of background. But I'll never be ok with taking a Black man out of a household just to present some crazy notion that single Black women are perfectly fine doing it by themselves. And how is this not reinforcing stereotype? Monica had both parents in the comics, and they should have left that aspect of her origin alone.
    “True peace is not merely the absence of tension; it is the presence of justice.”
    ~Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

“If I love you, I have to make you conscious of what you don’t see.”
    ~James Baldwin

BANNED

So for the MCU, Captain Marvel's mom was reimagined as a fighter pilot but they we're to lazy to reimagine what Captain Marvel's dad could be?
    Well, however CM's MCU dad would be he like CM's MCU mom would have to be a loving father who supports his daughter in anything, since in the comics that's exactly how he was presented to be.